• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3 FY16 Results

PlayStation is killing it for Sony, great news for them.

Now they just need the Marvel / Spider-Man deal to bring in the big money for Sony's movie division, because if that doesn't bring in a shit ton of money, nothing will.
Yeah, it should be pretty big. If the Amazing series could do well, a Marvel influenced one should do really well.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Keep in mind that hardware launches also depend on the tech available at the time. I can't see Sony releasing the PS5 on anything but 7nm fabrication process and it's possible it won't hit until 2019. Even then, a capable APU must be available for it to be shipped in the console. So, to me, a holiday 2020 release is still the most likely scenario.

Would you have any reasonable guess how much RAM could go into a console in 2020? Would 32 GBs be possible then?

Apathy

Imagine if kaz had not been made CEO. If someone from one of the other departments had been made CEO and they didn't focus in games, Sony might truly have been fucked.

Shin-Ra

Are you saying The Emoji Movie isn't going to be a success?!
Anything with James Corden is an automatic pass.

Keep in mind that hardware launches also depend on the tech available at the time. I can't see Sony releasing the PS5 on anything but 7nm fabrication process and it's possible it won't hit until 2019. Even then, a capable APU must be available for it to be shipped in the console. So, to me, a holiday 2020 release is still the most likely scenario.
SIE must be by far AMD's number one customer, greatly influencing their roadmap.

If AMD is hitting 7nm next year.. why would Microsoft launch Scorpio this year? 7nm would hugely change what is possible for $400-$500. A new PlayStation would run circles around Scorpio in 2018,
Late reaction to the leading competition set in motion before its clear which components will be ready and before the change of heart 'supporting' Windows gaming more strongly.

pswii60

Samsung make Power Plants, roads, dams, bridges, airports, resorts, builds sky scrapers, cruise liners, oil drilling ships.

Microsoft's net worth is higher than Samsung Electronics (although they both frequently move up and down - MS mostly down). Samsung Electronics doesn't do all that stuff, you're thinking of Samsung Engineering and Samsung Heavy Industries which are separate companies. They might be all part of the same conglomerate but they run strictly as separate entities.
Not at all, still in a pretty precarious position with such tiny profits each quarter.

Sony profit for quarter: $431 million
Samsung profit for quarter: $7.9 BILLION.

They need something other than PS to bring in the profits.
Honestly, I think Sony is just happy to be making profits at all - they were making huge losses every year until Stringer left.

Yes, they need to find other avenues to make profit, but they need to do this slowly, with keen and strategic focus, and with careful investment otherwise they risk ending up back there again.

carlsojo

Yeah if Horizon lives up to the hype it's going to be a system seller and Sony keeps dominating through 2017.

To say nothing of marketing deals with Destiny 2 and Red Dead 2.

And if God of War shows up for the holidays too... hoo buddy.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah if Horizon lives up to the hype it's going to be a system seller and Sony keeps dominating through 2017.

GoW will probably be March 2018 :(

No way PS4 can keep growing with heavy competitions this year.
I think 2016 is the plateau.
Nah, I'd take a bet against that. PS4 gonna hit $200 with a pack in game this year probably. And there's like 5-6 potential hardware movers coming almost exclusively from Sony's WWS. And the appeal for these games are spread out in different regions. Japan sales give a solid boost too, even with the region not as big for home consoles anymore. FF15, DQ, and maybe even a PS4 MH will give PS4 legs to maybe surpass PS3 sales.

Spider-man
Gran Turismo
God of War
Horizon

TLOU2
Kojima's game
GTA6
Destiny 2

Meh, I think Peak year is probably 2018 at this point. 3rd party + 1st party is really starting to deliver.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Breaking any of the PS2's records 3 years in is fucking insane. At this point I reckon the floor is 90-100m

Thanks for that. Otherwise I wouldn't have seen this beaut.

untitled-1c7puz.jpg

People really started saying some outlandish stuff as soon an the XB1 started outselling the PS4 in the US. It was almost as if the rest of the world didn't exist and the previous 3 years had never happened.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
If both RDR2 and Destiny 2 get delayed and TLOU2 hits 2018 then that could be peak year, but I agree that this year will be

I don't think there's any chance of TLOU hitting in 2018, they have only been working on it since mid-2016 and I'd be very surprised if it takes anything under 3 years. Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, RDR2 and Gran Turismo would certainly sell a tonne of consoles this year though.

I don't think there's any chance of TLOU hitting in 2018, they have only been working on it since mid-2016 and I'd be very surprised if it takes anything under 3 years.
I agree it's highly unlikely, but I'm also not sure it actually started mid last year. I think they're being coy about its development time, but I do think it's 2019

Gurnlei

I want Sony's phone division to do better :( I love my XC and they're pushing updates out faster than anyone but Google.

Markitron

I agree it's highly unlikely, but I'm also not sure it actually started mid last year. I think they're being coy about its development time, but I do think it's 2019

They said they have been kicking around ideas for a while, but it wasn't until the middle of this year that they fully decided to make the game. AFAIK there was only 1 dev team during the production of UC4 as well, so I'd be inclined to take Neil Druckmann at his word.

Theonik

People really started saying some outlandish stuff as soon an the XB1 started outselling the PS4 in the US. It was almost as if the rest of the world didn't exist and the previous 3 years had never happened.
And we're back to where we started too with the PS4 outselling the XB1 as soon as the XB1S upgrade bump died down and the Pro is out.

They said they have been kicking around ideas for a while, but it wasn't until the middle of this year that they fully decided to make the game. AFAIK there was only 1 dev team during the production of UC4 as well, so I'd be inclined to take Neil Druckmann at his word.
Possibly. Just I wouldn't be surprised if there was a small team working on TLOU2 prototypes

It beated the 8.7 m PS2 record? Awesome, congrats to Sony. As others have said, it seems that the company owes a lot to the console.

Although it's many years away, if this success continues I hope it doesn't lead to a PS5 that mirrors the missteps that the last few market leaders took in their follow-ups (initial PS3 reveal following PS2 success, Xbox One reveal following 360 success, etc.).

That being said, as someone who games on almost every system, it's a fantastic time to be a gamer. Kudos to Sony and I hope this continues to light a fire underneath their competition.

Boke1879

This year could potentially be the peak year. Lots of quality games are being released and of Horizon can score in the mid to upper 80's on metacritic. It'll be a system seller.

If games like Red Dead2, Destiny 2 and Battlefront 2 release later in the year it's going to be a huge year for the industry.

Eggbok

God of War is going to be 2018.
Red Dead 2, Battlefront 2, Call of Duty and Destiny are going to carry PS4 to 2018.
Then 2018 possibly has God of War, Spider-Man, Final Fantasy VII, Shenmue, Days Gone, Last of Us II.
Nothing stops this train.

Kill3r7

If both RDR2 and Destiny 2 get delayed and TLOU2 hits 2018 then that could be peak year, but I agree that this year will be

For software sure. However by 2018 both HD Twins will have reached more than 2/3 of their lifetime sales. Hard to have a peak year at that point as most interested individuals will have already picked up a console. Sales will continue to be strong but not really peaking.

Ravage

Wow the Playstation division did VERY well. Here's hoping Horizon sells gangbusters because i would love to see more ambitious RPGs from Sony.

I'm reading these results as "PS4 is doing great! Everything else is falling because we used to make really expensive things and still make kind of expensive things that sometimes break and lots of people don't like to buy things anymore."

Elginer

That;s some straight fire line up right there. 2017 is insane.

dracula_x

so, by division

1. Game & Network Services (G&NS)
Operating income – 431 (millions of U.S. dollars)

2. Financial Services
Operating income – 250

3. Music
Operating income – 241

4. Semiconductors
Operating income – 234

5. Home Entertainment & Sound (HE&S)
Operating income – 224

6. Mobile Communications (MC)
Operating income – 183

7. Imaging Products & Solutions (IP&S)
Operating income – 182

-------

x. Components
Operating loss – (32)

xx. Pictures
Operating income (loss) – (920)

I see a lot of revenue from PSN but what about the profit? Are they actually putting money in their proverbial pocket or is it just being burned as it comes in?

Kill3r7

I see a lot of revenue from PSN but what about the profit? Are they actually putting money in their proverbial pocket or is it just being burned as it comes in?

See below. Please note that these are quarterly numbers.

so, by division

2. Financial Services
Operating income – 250

3. Music
Operating income – 241

4. Semiconductors
Operating income – 234

Operating income – 224

Operating income – 183

Operating income – 182

-------

x. Components
Operating loss – (32)

xx. Pictures

viHuGi

Banned
so, by division

2. Financial Services
Operating income – 250

3. Music
Operating income – 241

4. Semiconductors
Operating income – 234

Operating income – 224

Operating income – 183

Operating income – 182

-------

x. Components
Operating loss – (32)

xx. Pictures

Holly boy Pictures Kaz please turn this around!

Tratorn

Great sales, really deserved.
Will be interesting to see their next quarter though. Normally they shipped like 2m more than they sold through, but now the difference is 3.7m. This should've an impact on the next quarter, so I doubt a bit they can reach their goal of 60m shipped. But at least they'll get pretty close.
The good thing is that the Pro is still a bit undershipped in some parts of the world, so they can increase shipment for that.

Top Bottom