• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q4 2018 and FY18 results.

joe_zazen

How can it be low when it's the highest subscription of it's kind?

In comparison to console sales and ps+ subs. With the service available on 100 million ps4s and 1 billion windows PCs, why less than 1 million subs?

Edit: my answer is that people willing to spend $10-$20 per month for streaming games are those willing to buy hardware, so why stream?

Last edited:

onQ123

In comparison to console sales and ps+ subs. With the service available on 100 million ps4s and 1 billion windows PCs, why less than 1 million subs?

Edit: my answer is that people willing to spend $10-$20 per month for streaming games are those willing to buy hardware, so why stream?

These 100 million PS4 owners own a PS4 so PS Now is mostly just a way for them to play PS3 games or check out PS4 games that they wouldn't normally buy.

Why would you even mention a billion Windows PCs? everyone one on PC isn't there to play games & when they are playing games why would they be jumping through hoops to stream games from PS Now instead of playing the millions of games that they could play right on the PC?

Low in terms of people expecting millions of subscriptions. I on't do game streaming so the number doesn't mean anything to me. I just always see people talking about Xcloud, stradia etc. and "what's Sony's plan" when Sony all ready has a functioning service.

Even Sony said it would be years before streaming take off I'm not sure why people thought that it was millions of people subscribed to PS Now already. Streaming will take off when it's giving people what they can't get on their local devices & it will also catch own when their is no need of a subscription , just click on a video see a ad to play the game & just like that you can play the game or a small part of the game but with a ad.

Virex

Banned
These 100 million PS4 owners own a PS4 so PS Now is mostly just a way for them to play PS3 games or check out PS4 games that they wouldn't normally buy.

Why would you even mention a billion Windows PCs? everyone one on PC isn't there to play games & when they are playing games why would they be jumping through hoops to stream games from PS Now instead of playing the millions of games that they could play right on the PC?

Even Sony said it would be years before streaming take off I'm not sure why people thought that it was millions of people subscribed to PS Now already. Streaming will take off when it's giving people what they can't get on their local devices & it will also catch own when their is no need of a subscription , just click on a video see a ad to play the game & just like that you can play the game or a small part of the game but with a ad.
I'll stick to my consoles and PC hardware. Don't want to stream any games. Once streaming becomes the norm then I'm out. Luckily I have all my old consoles and games I can go back to.

Gamernyc78

Banned
The common sense answer is no matter how many millions of ppl own consoles, streaming games is still niche. It's like saying "damn how is psvr the highest selling VR peripheral when PC has millions of gamers, it has several VR solutions and it's open", Its niche as well. Just like every company, Sony wants to tap tht virgen market and as long as they see growth and profit, long term, thts what matters.

onQ123

I'll stick to my consoles and PC hardware. Don't want to stream any games. Once streaming becomes the norm then I'm out. Luckily I have all my old consoles and games I can go back to.

When streaming becomes the norm you shouldn't even notice the difference enough to care if it's streaming or not.

Evilms

Banned
The PS4 also dominates in the Middle East and parts of Asia except Japan.

D5GDKH4XkAAtw4T.jpg

D5GDJb9WsAAZHB0.jpg

More than 75% market share in Saudi Arabia (2016)
Outside the USA, and Japan, Sony dominates almost everywhere else in the world (y)

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Sony gaming revenue $20 billion(FY 2019 completed), compared to $11.5 billion(FY 2019 estimate) for Microsoft.
11.5 Billion is pretty good all things considered. Although i do believe Microsoft has found a way to "cook" the numbers. Perhaps combining xbox with another smaller division to make it look better. And yes i know "they dont do that."

There's nothing Microsoft and Nintendo can do to stop Sony!
Hubris is a terrible thing my friend.

To be honest, I'm surprised they have that many customers. Isn't this the first time they have released numbers? (I've never seen them before)

They have 90m+ MAU. If I were to guess digital sales are probably still below 50%.

Yeah I remember them having pretty good mau's and I'm sure they are still making money from one-off purchases but they are not getting their 60$ per year. 60 million people worth of potential, that must be converted. Any company would kill to have 60 million people as potential customers.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Insane results.

FY2018 is the best year Sony has ever had and the Gaming Division represented 34.8% of Sony total Operating Profit (vs 24,2% FY2017).

It also surpassed the anomaly Wii: 96.8M x 95.85. It will reach 100M faster.

Better than Switch in this FY: 17.8 x 16.95M.

svlTIYt.gif

I've never seen this gif before. :pie_roffles:

PocoJoe

Banned
The PS4 also dominates in the Middle East and parts of Asia except Japan.

D5GDKH4XkAAtw4T.jpg

D5GDJb9WsAAZHB0.jpg

More than 75% market share in Saudi Arabia (2016)
Outside the USA, and Japan, Sony dominates almost everywhere else in the world (y)

Indeed. Americans forget many times that US isnt the world, when talking about many things

Like consoles, switch+xbox compete with PlayStation at US, but not so much at other parts of the world.

In my country 70-80% of games are usually for PS4 at stores and switch/xbox have tiny part of the shelf.

Switch was never sold out here, ps4 still sells out around xmas for some stores and were sold out around the launch.

Sony offers best gaming platform gen after gen, so that is why it sells so well

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Don't feel like reading all that and creating a thread because of it reads, but make of it what you will.
https://www.criticalhit.net/gaming/...ey-in-2018-than-it-did-for-the-whole-ps2-era/

Yeah this part of his article made my heart tickle.

What’s yet to be seen is exactly how all these profits are going to be spent. According to Takashi Mochizuki, a writer for the Wall Street Journal, Sony will be funnelling these profits into the development of the PS5. Whether this is true remains to be seen, with no official release date confirmed for the next-gen console. Time will only tell whether Sony maintains the success they achieved in 2018.

I can't wait!!!!

thelastword

Banned
I like how some people are using the PS2 as crutch to lowball the PS4, profit is greater than unit sales for a business.....Moreso, when unit sales are progressing at the same speed as PS2 sales in the same time-frame, but PS4 is selling at a higher pricepoint, pulling in subs and selling lots of software per hardware unit sold......

In hardware numbers only cause ps4 is the most sucessful playstation in printing money. PS2 had several price cuts along its life cycle which is not the case for ps4.
I imagine the PS4 software:hardware attach rate would be higher on PS4 as well, many people bought PS2 hardware and pirated games, so Sony did not receive much in software sales from said persons..........So yes, PS2 sold more, but PS2 was a very cheap console in the latter years, pricepoints PS3 never got to and pricepoints PS4 is not at yet.........PS4 can get to some of these pricepoints with the rumored 7nm slim, but now, there is no need to boost unit sales at a cost to profit.......PS4 will be Sony's most successful console based on profit alone and the unit sales will soar in tandem...It's a win win for them...

DanielsM

Banned
Yeah I remember them having pretty good mau's and I'm sure they are still making money from one-off purchases but they are not getting their 60$ per year. 60 million people worth of potential, that must be converted. Any company would kill to have 60 million people as potential customers.

No company is going to be able to get 100% conversion on a service in the context of something like this. Not everyone wants to play online or pay to play online. Apple has over 1.3b iOS devices yet only have 50m Apple Music users, why? Well, not everyone wants a music service, choice, etc.

Top Bottom