• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony really cheaped out on their PSUs didn't they?

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm on my second replacement, which should be with me shortly. Fingers crossed this time. It's so annoying.

May have to resign myself to putting up with it and getting a revision down the line.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Absolutely not.

Ps5 makes little noise, it does indeed make noise like every other electronic that has a Fan/PSU on it, i mean come on even my dead silent Zenbook 14 has some tiny little noise.

Ps5 is definitely louder than my NoteBook, no question but it is the quietest Console i´ve ever owned alongside Ps1.
My Series X is more quiet than my PS5 by a large margin. Might be I got a "lemon" though.

With that said I wouldn't be able to hear it with surround sound. If it's quiet though, its noticeable.

JeloSWE

My Series X is more quiet than my PS5 by a large margin. Might be I got a "lemon" though.

With that said I wouldn't be able to hear it with surround sound. If it's quiet though, its noticeable.
I'm crying and laughing at the same time. The fact that Sony made such an effort to make the machine cool and quiet only to screw it up with shitty fan variations and coil whine, all while xsx is dead quiet. LOL My PS5 both have coil whine but also a pretty annoying high pitch to the fan. Luckily I keep my PC and consoles in another room so it's not a daily problem, I'm still considering getting it replaced in a month or two.

Concern

My PS5 whines whenever I play something that taxes the GPU. You can literally hear the pitch changes based on being in a menu or actually playing. The thing is that if another company had the same issues people would be posting memes day and night. The PlayStation is a fine brand but I expect better from the market leader. Hopefully more competition will inspire Sony.

QFT.

Liquid metal cooling and whisper quiet. "Pretty cool right?"

Shark Tank Mark GIF by ABC Network

jaysius

Banned
My PS5 whines whenever I play something that taxes the GPU. You can literally hear the pitch changes based on being in a menu or actually playing. The thing is that if another company had the same issues people would be posting memes day and night. The PlayStation is a fine brand but I expect better from the market leader. Hopefully more competition will inspire Sony.

You contradict yourself here, a "Fine brand" would not ship a console with so many aural acoustic issues for $500.

Along with the shit show that was the PS4 Pro dust buster.

Playstation is NOT a FINE BRAND. It's Tab Soda but people keep trying to believe it's Pepsi.

Don't forget that in the future the fan situation CAN get worse as Sony has stated they're letting developers toy with fan curves when they want to... meaning you might be in for a louder experience in the future.

Last edited:

Deraj

QFT.

Liquid metal cooling and whisper quiet. "Pretty cool right?"

Shark Tank Mark GIF by ABC Network
Team silent here. As an experiment I tried playing Spiderman Remastered with the speakers turned off so I could try and hear the PS5. All I hear is the faint purr of the fan from 1.5 meters away. I tried getting into a battle and switching menus and the volume didn't change. With the speakers back on I don't hear the PS5 at all... and I am sensitive to coil whine.. the Wraith Prism cooler on my PC annoys me and I am changing my PC cooler soon.

You don't own a PS5.
Prove it. Pretty sure I have more game consoles than you do.
You contradict yourself here, a "Fine brand" would not ship a console with so many aural acoustic issues for $500.

Along with the shit show that was the PS4 Pro dust buster.

Playstation is NOT a FINE BRAND. It's Tab Soda but people keep trying to believe it's Pepsi.

Don't forget that in the future the fan situation CAN get worse as Sony has stated they're letting developers toy with fan curves when they want to... meaning you might be in for a louder experience in the future.
I speak strictly about the 3rd person single player story driven titles. Their dual sense controller is also nice. Their refund policy, 'dumb delivery' with regards to game updates, paywall for cloud storage saves, and now the PSU issues with the PS5 all leave much to be desired. I am really hopeful there will be serious competition so they produce better products and policies.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Team silent here. As an experiment I tried playing Spiderman Remastered with the speakers turned off so I could try and hear the PS5. All I hear is the faint purr of the fan from 1.5 meters away. I tried getting into a battle and switching menus and the volume didn't change. With the speakers back on I don't hear the PS5 at all... and I am sensitive to coil whine.. the Wraith Prism cooler on my PC annoys me and I am changing my PC cooler soon.
Same here. XSX is even quieter, but when people say dead quiet they exaggerate as both move enough air for that to make some minimum noise (just the air pushing against the grilled vents and coming out of the console).

Top Bottom