• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Reports Q3 FY12 Results - $2 Billion Loss, 6.5 M PS3's Shipped [Shares up 13%]

Sony lowered its PlayStation 3 hardware sales outlook to 14 million consoles from 15 million.
http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20120202/tc_nm/us_sony_sales?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I don't believe the following has been posted yet.
Kaz Hirai details his plan to save Sony:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/2/2765928/kaz-hirai-4-point-plan

After Sony's disappointing third-quarter financial report today, soon-to-be President and CEO Kazuo Hirai took the stage to discuss his plans for saving the troubled company. His four-point plan consists of building on Sony's core competencies, getting its TV house in order, figuring out where it can cut costs, and speeding up innovation.

Re-enforcing Sony's core businesses:
Hirai recognized that digital imaging and gaming are Sony's strong suits, and stated that he plans for the company to capitalize on its assets in these areas in order to strengthen its position in the growing mobile market, which will become a big focus for the company after it takes full control of the Sony Ericsson partnership. In addition, the new CEO wants to apply the advances the company has made in digital imaging to the medical industry, hopefully turning it into a future core business. He also wants to leverage Sony's gaming assets by building unique mobile products only Sony can provide.

Pulling together Sony's TV business:
Hirai believes TVs will continue to be at heart of home entertainment, but LCD TVs have been commoditized and Sony can't waste any more time futzing around in this market. Sony divested of S-LCD last year and the new CEO plans to continue on this asset-light approach, being selective about the use of resources, and considering collaborations with other companies in order to reduce costs. At the same time, he believes the company can use its proprietary Crystal LED and OLED technologies to create compelling TV products.

Transforming Sony's business portfolio:
Sony has diverse businesses, which has been good for the company in some ways, but it needs to figure out which of its products are becoming commoditized products without added value so that it can either get rid of them, or make better use of collaboration to reduce costs.

Accelerating Innovation:
Hirai believes Sony is well-positioned to make the medical area a future core business. Sony has a lot of innovations in sensors, signal processing, lenses, and displays, and can create innovative products by applying these to endoscopy, X-Ray diagnostic equipment and ultrasound. The company was reportedly interested in acquiring a 20-30 percent stake in Olympus (although Hirai refused to comment on the proposed deal), which would be a perfect fit given its strengths in both imaging and medical equipment. The soon-to-be CEO also added that Sony needs to strengthen ties between its R&D and business groups, a movement that he is spearheading.

Hirai went on to say that since 2009 he's been focused on producing products befitting of the name Sony — "wonderful products" with a focus on creating a compelling user experience. In fact, Kaz came back to the subject of user experience repeatedly, stressing that creating great hardware just isn't enough. Responding to a question about management changes, Hirai also said he wants to focus on the free exchange of ideas, and rather than surround himself with a bunch of yes-men, build an executive management team that will challenge his ideas.

I really like where this is going. Especially the innovative push they want to make in the medical field. I'm in a dark room right now sitting in front of a computer with Fuji Films program Synapse. A lot of the scanners we use are Fuji as well. It would be nice seeing some competition. Just yesterday we were talking about the "great future" (/sarcasm) that Synapse holds.

I think its pretty clear to me. Sony already have the hardware just need to assemble it, no need to do a lot of research.

• CPU: they already have the Cell, putting more cores will do it.
  • Media Storage: Blu-Ray
  • RAM: Just put more
  • GPU: The only problem I think
  • Software: Easy part

So easy. I wonder why Sony Engineers don't think of this!!!

/sarcasm

KageMaru

I am.
Nintendo and now MS too (if the rumors are correct) are going the casual gaming route.
Sony not as much as they do.

As it's been mentioned, most of the Wii-U's line up is core titles. Unless I'm mistaken, rumors about MS range from 6x-8x power and possibly a kinect in every box. IIRC the only thing we have read about Sony is they are looking at SoC, just like MS.

So I'm not really sure where you're pulling these assumptions from.

?
They maybe could, but they won't as you can hear from certain rumors (and some interviews from Nintendo).

And I've read rumors that people expecting a powerful PS4 will be disappointed. How do you pick and choose which rumors to believe when more than one is plausible?

btw. their next system will be released 1 year before PS4 and Xbox 3. So you know what that means.

Judging by this gen, it doesn't mean anything.

Err...we do? Sony can't sustain losses like these indefinitely, obviously, but their liquidity situation is OK as far as being able to afford to develop and release big new products (~$10bn in cash, +~$10bn in secured credit lines that they haven't yet tapped). They'll want to develop new products in as cost-effective and smart a way as possible, but they ought to be wanting to do that regardless of whether they're making a lot of money or not.

Financial services cash can't really be used for the rest of the company.

They have about $8 billion in cash along with $8 billion in long term debt. They don't have the resources to lose billions on a new console without putting the company at risk if it fails.

Hyuga

Banned
As it's been mentioned, most of the Wii-U's line up is core titles. Unless I'm mistaken, rumors about MS range from 6x-8x power and possibly a kinect in every box. IIRC the only thing we have read about Sony is they are looking at SoC, just like MS.

So I'm not really sure where you're pulling these assumptions from.

And I've read rumors that people expecting a powerful PS4 will be disappointed. How do you pick and choose which rumors to believe when more than one is plausible?

Assumptions? From interviews and rumors.
But they ARE rumors at the moment. We both know that.
Xbox 6x and 8x? Yep, and we heard some stuff/rumors about "PS4 stronger than Xbox3".
Kinect 2 included means weaker hardware, to balance the price.
(and if Sony won't include their Eye/Move stuff)

Judging by this gen, it doesn't mean anything.
? It means that the system is LESS powerful.
(judging by this gen & logic)

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
The "most powerful' hardware never wins the generations. Only GAFers care about such things. As things are now Sony will be releasing last. They will already be behind. It stands to reason the third party software will be built for nexbox,wiiu with ports going to ps4. Why build vastly different hardare, when only 1st parties will take advantage of it.

They have about $8 billion in cash along with $8 billion in long term debt. They don't have the resources to lose billions on a new console without putting the company at risk if it fails.

Indeed... after the PS1 and PS2 Sony thought that they could not fail. Now they have realised that they can and they can't afford to fail so expect a very "practical" console from them. NO mega risk taking. They are up against MS and Nintendo... none of those are push-overs (as Sony have learned) and MS and Nintendo can't easily be outcompeted financially at the moment. Both of them have a lot more money than Sony.

Yep, and we heard some stuff/rumors about "PS4 stronger than Xbox3".

Lol yeah... in OPM. Do we need a crazy chart or what?

Just let it go.. the hole gets deeper every post.

Hyuga

Banned
The "most powerful' hardware never wins the generations. Only GAFers care about such things.
And gamers! Because a lot of them give a damn about "sales numbers" and stuff.
They want good games and better looking games.
Powerful hardware "helps".

Just let it go.. the hole gets deeper every post.
Not really! Only if you go the "olololol you're a fanboy! Lol yeah.." route.
Have I hurt your Kirby feelings (with my "guesses" / "assumptions " for the next-gen hardware)?

The "most powerful' hardware never wins the generations. Only GAFers care about such things. As things are now Sony will be releasing last.They will already be behind. It stands to reason the third party software will be built for nexbox,wiiu with ports going to ps4. Why build vastly different hardare, when only 1st parties will take advantage of it.

How can you come to that kind of conclusion when we know literally next to nothing about the PS4 let alone the architecture and capabilities of it? Always behind? Jesus, I know Sony is in a bad way but this kind of hyperbole is getting ridiculous.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

I think it's obvious they won't be doing that, as I said. They've said explicitly they won't be repeating what happened with PS3 wrt massive investments. The poster I was replying to was wondering how they could afford to release a PS4 fullstop, not merely whether they could afford another PS3 style risk (which I noted they couldn't afford to repeat).

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
How can you come to that kind of conclusion when we know literally next to nothing about the PS4 let alone the architecture and capabilities of it? Always behind? Jesus, I know Sony is in a bad way but this kind of hyperbole is getting ridiculous.

Behind I ment in terms of sells which is not a leap since they are releasing last.

woowii Sony. I hope Kaz means that they will cut some of the more useless product lines they have. No reason for them to try and stick their hand into every market when the yen is boning them like this, stick to your strong suits.

As for implications on the PS4, this really won't have an effect so late in the game, whatever sony has planned has already been set in motion.

Behind I ment in terms of sells which is not a leap since they are releasing last.

That would be ok if the Xbox 360 was the generation leader for releasing first but the Nintendo Wii released a year after it and look what happened there. Releasing the next console in a timely matter is important, but thinking that just because something got released later automatically equals being behind in sales is ridiculous. This gen proved that.

KageMaru

Hirai believes TVs will continue to be at heart of home entertainment, but LCD TVs have been commoditized and Sony can't waste any more time futzing around in this market. Sony divested of S-LCD last year and the new CEO plans to continue on this asset-light approach, being selective about the use of resources, and considering collaborations with other companies in order to reduce costs. At the same time, he believes the company can use its proprietary Crystal LED and OLED technologies to create compelling TV products.

While they are usually out of my price range, I've always like Sony TVs, so I hope this turns out well for them.

Assumptions? From interviews and rumors.
But they ARE rumors at the moment. We both know that.
Xbox 6x and 8x? Yep, and we heard some stuff/rumors about "PS4 stronger than Xbox3".
Kinect 2 included means weaker hardware, to balance the price.
(and if Sony won't include their Eye/Move stuff)

? It means that the system is LESS powerful.
(judging by this gen & logic)

lol ok

tzare

PlayStation 3 has reached a software tie ratio of 9.16 games sold for every system. I think it is the console of this generation with the highest software tie ratio.

MS only gives us numbers regarding tie ratio if i am not mistaken, and US is their best market by a mile, so it seems PS3 sells better, software wise, than 360, which is a bit contradictory to most people seem to think.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
All things being equal, the gaming side of Sony seems to be in reasonably good shape. You'd expect some losses with them launching new hardware, and the decline of PSP and PS2, but these things are inevitable.

The reality is though that the state of the Yen and the natural disasters have severely impacted Sony's manufacturing side; it doesn't matter how many units you shift when procurement/balance-of-payments calculations get knocked way off base.

mephixto

Banned
So easy. I wonder why Sony Engineers don't think of this!!!

/sarcasm

Compared to the R&D they put on the hardware of the PS3, the PS4 it's just a 20% of the effort if they just do revisions, upgrades of their current tech and it will lower the cost of production.

Miles X

MS only gives us numbers regarding tie ratio if i am not mistaken, and US is their best market by a mile, so it seems PS3 sells better, software wise, than 360, which is a bit contradictory to most people seem to think.

Too many holes. That ratio for X360 is NPD which doesn't include bundles and the likes.

There is bound to be a lot of PS3 SW on shelves as well.

Sucks MS don't provide updates, surprised investors arnt asking to see them ...

tzare

Too many holes. That ratio for X360 is NPD which doesn't include bundles and the likes.

There is bound to be a lot of PS3 SW on shelves as well.

Sucks MS don't provide updates, surprised investors arnt asking to see them ...

There is bound that there's a lot of software on shelves for all consoles, so i doubt 360 has a overall (WW) ratio equal to the one seen on NPD, so only way to calculate is software shipments for both systems.
They are probably so close to each other that it doesn't make a difference to be taken into account, but for ages it has been said that 360 was the only one selling lots of software, well above competition, and it seems that both systems do really well there.

In my view, if Sony made PS4 as a simple hardware upgrade it will fail miserably. The average Joe gamer can care less about 60 fps at 1080p. They need something else as a 'catch'. I would say Sony would be better off copying Nintendo's U pad idea than to go with another generation with the same old dualshock.

Castef

Banned
Nobody is going "the casual gaming route". They're all doing their best to capture everyone, including Sony.

This.

Also because all of them can read software charts: non-casual games are still gathering lots and lots and lots of money.

So, they are NOT going fo the "casual gaming route". They are ALSO aiming for casual games. Which is a different thing.

EDIT: a casual gamer can be satisfied in paying 79 cents for the next iteration of Angry Birds and spend one week playing it. An hardcore gamer pre-orders a 50$ game, plays it a lot and the buys 1/2/3 DLCs, bringing even more money.

For a big company which of the two purchasers is still the most valuable one?

Miles X

There is bound that there's a lot of software on shelves for all consoles, so i doubt 360 has a overall (WW) ratio equal to the one seen on NPD, so only way to calculate is software shipments for both systems.
They are probably so close to each other that it doesn't make a difference to be taken into account, but for ages it has been said that 360 was the only one selling lots of software, well above competition, and it seems that both systems do really well there.

Why not? 360 has strong SW sales in the US yes, but it has strong HW to go with it. I don't see why SW can't be on par with HW sales in other countries, they don't need to be as strong as the US, just on par with the HW sold in that country ...

Not debating that both systems do well SW, just that we have no way of telling who is on top.

patsu

Sony lowered its PlayStation 3 hardware sales outlook to 14 million consoles from 15 million.
http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20120202/tc_nm/us_sony_sales?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I don't believe the following has been posted yet.
Kaz Hirai details his plan to save Sony:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/2/2765928/kaz-hirai-4-point-plan

After Sony's disappointing third-quarter financial report today, soon-to-be President and CEO Kazuo Hirai took the stage to discuss his plans for saving the troubled company. His four-point plan consists of building on Sony's core competencies, getting its TV house in order, figuring out where it can cut costs, and speeding up innovation.

Re-enforcing Sony's core businesses:
Hirai recognized that digital imaging and gaming are Sony's strong suits, and stated that he plans for the company to capitalize on its assets in these areas in order to strengthen its position in the growing mobile market, which will become a big focus for the company after it takes full control of the Sony Ericsson partnership. In addition, the new CEO wants to apply the advances the company has made in digital imaging to the medical industry, hopefully turning it into a future core business. He also wants to leverage Sony's gaming assets by building unique mobile products only Sony can provide.

Transforming Sony's business portfolio:
Sony has diverse businesses, which has been good for the company in some ways, but it needs to figure out which of its products are becoming commoditized products without added value so that it can either get rid of them, or make better use of collaboration to reduce costs.

Accelerating Innovation:
Hirai believes Sony is well-positioned to make the medical area a future core business. Sony has a lot of innovations in sensors, signal processing, lenses, and displays, and can create innovative products by applying these to endoscopy, X-Ray diagnostic equipment and ultrasound. The company was reportedly interested in acquiring a 20-30 percent stake in Olympus (although Hirai refused to comment on the proposed deal), which would be a perfect fit given its strengths in both imaging and medical equipment. The soon-to-be CEO also added that Sony needs to strengthen ties between its R&D and business groups, a movement that he is spearheading.

Hirai went on to say that since 2009 he's been focused on producing products befitting of the name Sony — "wonderful products" with a focus on creating a compelling user experience. In fact, Kaz came back to the subject of user experience repeatedly, stressing that creating great hardware just isn't enough. Responding to a question about management changes, Hirai also said he wants to focus on the free exchange of ideas, and rather than surround himself with a bunch of yes-men, build an executive management team that will challenge his ideas.

Interesting. He sort of pointed out most of the problems indirectly:

1. Top management fuzzing around TV business, surrounded by bunch of 'yes men'.

2. TV business getting commoditized rapidly but Sony has nothing to bring the extra oomph. Their high cost prevent them to play in commoditized market unless they partner with outsiders. Since they missed the large LCD/LED panel manufacturing and IP game, they can't fight cheap manufacturers like Samsung can. Crystal LED may be a good choice but they will need to make real products. Their OLED R&D hasn't turned into any real big screen products yet after all these years.

3. User experience is key to product development. Sony's fragmented approach doesn't work. Besides internal innovation, they should also get external help to spread their R&D coverage and speed up development, like Apple tapping on Nuance to deploy Siri even though they got rid of their own voice tech 20+ years ago.

4. They were/are not playing in key growth areas. Acquiring Sony Ericcson would help. Medical sounds interesting. But more critical is learning/structuring/developing how to use their combined core competencies in these areas. Tying their R&D to business groups closer would help improve their solutions too. They still have too many products. Instead of cutting them randomly, using these growth market as focal point helps to prioritize and cut fat.

All in all, the issues are known but it really depends on execution.

IrishNinja

oh, Hyuga. still pushin' for that tag, i see.

seriously though: don't put much stock in any of the rumors we're hearing right now, and set your expectations low on the PS4's specs. if anything, you'll be pleasantly surprised if it works out!

tzare

Why not? 360 has strong SW sales in the US yes, but it has strong HW to go with it. I don't see why SW can't be on par with HW sales in other countries, they don't need to be as strong as the US, just on par with the HW sold in that country ...

Not debating that both systems do well SW, just that we have no way of telling who is on top.

why not? US is their strongest market by far, so rest of the markets will probably be below. And then it is simple maths. On the other side sony does better in the rest of the world than in the US. I think both PS360 software shipments would be the best way to have an idea of their tie ratio.

Makes me think, there's no way Sony will be losing money on the next-gen system. They just NEVER managed to catch up from it D:

Miles X

why not? US is their strongest market by far, so rest of the markets will probably be below. And then it is simple maths. On the other side sony does better in the rest of the world than in the US. I think both PS360 software shipments would be the best way to have an idea of their tie ratio.

Did you just read what I wrote? US being their strongest market doesn't tell us anything on attach rates in other markets. Because 360 HW is equally strong in the US.

If HW is moderate in say, France, then SW only has to be moderate ... You seem to be coming to the conclusion that 360 SW in the US is disproportionately better than HW.

U.S 9.1 isn't the highest either, UK - highest, Aus - 10.5

mboojigga

So what other technology should they have used instead? It's easy to say that it was expensive but what where the alternatives?
It's only logical that they used Bluray, it established Bluray as the next gen standard and opened up a new revenue stream which in the end is far more important than the few bucks saved if they had opted for something cheaper.

Microsofts HDDVD add-on was a disaster and it would have been the same with Bluray so there was no other option than to put it right in.

From a consumer point of view there's even less debate whether it was a good choice or not.

What you don't seem to get is that MS never cared if HD-DVD or Blu-Ray won. You make it sound like MS started the push for HD-DVD. They only supported HD-DVD(A year later) to prolong the war while they kept building up their digital push. MS HD-DVD was a strategy for the bigger picture we see today.

KageMaru

seriously though: don't put much stock in any of the rumors we're hearing right now, and set your expectations low on the PS4's specs. if anything, you'll be pleasantly surprised if it works out!

Yeah that's pretty much the attitude I'm taking. I'm most interested to see what Sony does and honestly I'm expecting them to come out with a great console next gen.

If you're using words like "probably", you don't have much to stand on without actual data, which AFAIK we don't have.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
patsu said:
All in all, the issues are known but it really depends on execution.

The state of the Japanese economy is out of their hands, and that's what's causing the real damage here.

Their products are selling, but when the margins get squashed by currency-rate conversions there's not a lot you can do. Adjust your prices upwards and lose market-share, or suck-it-up and see what happens next.

patsu

I think it's obvious they won't be doing that, as I said. They've said explicitly they won't be repeating what happened with PS3 wrt massive investments. The poster I was replying to was wondering how they could afford to release a PS4 fullstop, not merely whether they could afford another PS3 style risk (which I noted they couldn't afford to repeat).

What's more interesting is what is PS4 ? The core gamers' needs are known. The general public's interests are harder to grasp. Since Sony are looking at those areas, will it have mobile features ? Or integrate well with them ? Can it introduce consumer health and medical services if Sony helps to provide backend products and services ? The Wii balance board and motion games had underlying wellness theme too.

Marco1

Why would they want to lose money on the next-gen?
I think MS and Sony will want profitable HW from day 1 although MS seem to be the company that could go longer if they decide against that, they have xboxlive to support any loss on HW. It all depends on were you spend that loss, a bundled in kinect or HW specs that benefit all third-parties and not just first party studios, maybe RAM.

patsu

The state of the Japanese economy is out of their hands, and that's what's causing the real damage here.

Their products are selling, but when the margins get squashed by currency-rate conversions there's not a lot you can do. Adjust your prices upwards and lose market-share, or suck-it-up and see what happens next.

Yes and no. Those external factors are not Sony's inherent problems. If they go away, Sony will face tougher competition from fellow Japanese companies. If currencies and disaesters remain a problem, the management and execution still need to carry Sony out of the red.

Pointing finger at those issues won't change the issues on hand.

EagleEyes

I'm pretty sure the 360 dominates the PS3 in the UK as well. And if you've heard that is a pretty big market. :p

Miles X

I'm pretty sure the 360 dominates the PS3 in the UK as well. And if you've heard that is a pretty big market. :p

UK has the highest attach rate for 360, and Aus has 10.5, so that's saying something compared to PS3's global 9.16~.

You're not going to get anything wildly out of that range for either console though, if HW is selling well so will SW, and vice verser if it's selling bad. Really doesn't matter much where a console is strong and where it isn't when you're talking attach rates.

Jackl

Earthquake, customer data leak, and currency fluctuations. I'm surprised the loss is just 2 billion. Sony has always questionable management, but I don't think their current business model is flawed.

The ongoing global recession doesn't help too. Disposable income just about everywhere is flat if not falling, while costs are flat if not rising.

The ongoing global recession doesn't help too. Disposable income just about everywhere is flat if not falling, while costs are flat if not rising.
I always find statements like this interesting when you see the ridiculous success of Apple lately, especially given the price of their products.

You're right of course, but it's clear that there are ways for companies to beat the trends.

Xbox brand has went from "okay - but" to a serious Playstation level brand in two generations and has helped to push Sony (the previous market leader) down into last place. I don't see how that sort of turn around wasn't in part facilitated by a 1 year head start.

Personally, I think the PS3's outrageous launch price had as much to do with it as the 1 year lag behind the 360.

ghostmind

How does Sony keep surviving with year after year of losses? This doesn't seem like a company that creditors would want to sink their money into at the moment.

Perhaps Sony's best option would be being bought. Who would do that though? Google? Apple? Facebook (LOL)?

Castef

Banned
Ideally, I imagine that when (if?) Sony approaches next-gen, it won't go for a powerhouse in terms of graphical capabilities.

Or, better: if they want to produce a very powerful console they HAVE to go first, otherwise the extra power in comparison to the other consoles on the market will be wasted.

Let's say that Microsoft launches its new console before Sony (quite plausible, if you ask me). Let's rate the power of the console a 8.

Then one year later Sony will release a more powerful console. Let's rate it a 10 in graphical power.

In the meanwhile the Microsoft console started selling well and publishers embraced it, just as already happened with a certain Xbox 360.

What would happen when a third party publisher has to develop a game on both platforms? It will happen the VERY SAME THING that happens now with PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360: the extra power of the more powerful console will get wasted, and it will be used just for (a part of) first party games. Multiplatform games will never squeeze the console extra power.

Makes no sense at all to invest lots of money in building a graphical powerhouse which creates a big gap with the other consoles, according to me.

Much better to release a good console (which DOES NOT mean "a weak one"), easy to develop on and propose it at a cheaper price.

Also I'm quite sure that the real battle will be about features. Sony this time won't have the boost in sales which was given by DVD on PS2 and Blu Ray on PS3, as it could not release a new console along with some kind of new media standard. So, it will have to battle using other features as a weapon (and no, "It's a PlayStation!" is no longer a powerful weapon).

Wii U will have its tablet and the power of the "Wii" brand, still fresh and quite exploitable.

Microsoft will probably have the next Kinect shipping along with the console.

What will Sony have? Move again? Of course, it will have to provide purchasers with something unique and I'm wondering what it will be.

Also because if they think to go on the market just using their strong lineup agains Nintendo and Microsoft... well... they will again propose Little Big Planet agains Super Mario and Killzone against Halo. Goooooood luck with this, sales wise.

Top Bottom