• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony reveals 65" curved LED HDTV [$4000]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony-KDL-S990A-Curved-LED-LCD-HDTV-with-3D-1024x768.jpg

Sony-BRAVIA-KDL-S990A-Curved-LED-LCD-HDTV-with-3D_side-view-1024x682.jpg

Sony-BRAVIA-S990A-Curved-LED-LCD-HDTV-with-3D_lifestyle-1024x683.jpg

NEW YORK, Sept. 4, 2013 – Today Sony introduced the world’s first curved screen LED television, model KDL-65S990A. Available in October at Sony Stores and select electronics retailers nationwide for $3,999.99, the KDL-65S990A provides an all-in-one cinematic experience for the home, combining a subtly curved visual panel with Sony’s acclaimed TRILUMINOS® Display color system for accurate, deep, vibrant colors, and a powerful angled surround sound speaker system to complete the home theater like never before.

Color, clarity and detail at their best

Sony’s X-Reality™ PRO picture engine allows the KDL-65S990A to present stunning picture quality with a wide range of detail, whether viewers are watching movies on Blu-ray Disc, regular cable or satellite TV broadcasts, web videos or low-resolution smartphone clips. Sony’s latest-generation processing engine analyzes, cleans and refines images, restoring beautiful results from any source with more natural detail, richer colors and high contrast. The latest Sony innovations in its Reality Creation database and Super Resolution processing optimize images for incredible detail and sharpness, in both 2D and 3D.

Precisely-angled surround sound powerfully rich and immersive

The KDL-65S990A contains Sony’s powerful signal processing technologies which transform any audio source into surround sound. Additionally, the S990A features a 4-channel Multi-angle Live Speaker configuration that provides sound you might expect from a dedicated surround sound system, enhancing your viewing experience. A total of eight front facing speakers (six front and two surround) are angled in multiple directions for a surround sound experience that is superior to a conventional slim, “flat panel” TV.

The inward facing speakers are precisely angled to deliver specific sounds, such as voice dialogue, directly towards viewers while the outwards angled speakers push sound outwards to fill the room and wrap audiences with clear, full-range surround sound, powered by Sony’s power signal processing S-Force Front Surround technology. This Multi-angle Live speaker construction also features dedicated tweeters to create smooth, rich, satisfying audio with little distortion.
http://blog.sony.com/press/sony-introduces-worlds-first-curved-screen-led-television/

Double D

I guess I need to see a curved display in person because as of right now I have no idea why I would want one instead of a flat display.

Somnid

For the man with no furniture who watches TV in direct sunlight in their 10 million dollar mountain summer home.

Brandson

That's an awfully expensive tv to not have 4K or any kind of dynamic backlight (either edge or full-array). You also can't wall-mount it. So yeah, very limited potential market for this tv. I wish Sony would have just kept making the 65" HX950. I was saving up to buy one this fall and then they were gone.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It's an aspirational product, I aspire to live in an empty high rise apt with nothing but a mattress and old growth wooden floors while this television displays a fireplace. "Come back to bed" Rosario Dawson will say to me.

a flatscreen is superior to this anyway

this thing feels like it would have been something temporary before master race flat screens appeared on the market

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I guess I need to see a curved display in person because as of right now I have no idea why I would want one instead of a flat display.

The hilarious part to me is that the PR Copy never specifies why this is better than a regular TV. Some GAFfer always has to explain it.

Raistlin

More immersion. Fits your complete FOV better.

The problem is at 65", to have (remotely) accurate geometry we're talking like 4' seating position. Those 55" OLED's are even more ridiculous.

Given all these sets are only curved in one direction though ... you can never get completely accurate geometry anyway.

Nebula

I'd like to try it out. I have no idea what the curve would do, or if it would put me off.

Definitely try it though.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The problem is at 65", to have (remotely) accurate geometry we're talking like 4' seating position. Those 55" OLED's are even more ridiculous.

Given all these sets are only curved in one direction though ... you can never get completely accurate geometry anyway.

good for driving games.

CrankyJay

Banned
The theater room shot makes me wonder if there are some rich douchebags that just buy the TV for the aesthetics but never bother plugging them in.

Raistlin

The theater room shot makes me wonder if there are some rich douchebags that just buy the TV for the aesthetics but never bother plugging them in.

Wouldn't surprise me lol

Pretty sure plenty of people did that with Plasma back in the day

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sure, because you're presumably sitting within the range Raistlin outlined.

That's what I'm saying. Driving game + curved screen + sitting weirdly close = fun.

FPS, not so much.

Snowboarding, flying games etc might be neat too.

But it's a gimmick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom