• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says no AAA third party devs can make a game that rivals COD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, so they're where HBO was years ago when Netflix was the stream king. Couldn't they just do the HBO thing and keep making and offering consistently high budget quality content?
This example doesn't work

Hbo put all their content as it released on streaming, playstation says they have no intent on doing so anytime soon

I didn't own a ps4, so right now ps+ is a fantastic deal, but once I'm caught up (will admittedly be a LONG while, I'll probably cancel it and just stick with game pass unless Sony changes their mind

EDMIX

Why? Like COD, if Xbox wants Final Fantasy they can just make one. It goes both ways.

True.

I do see 93xfan 93xfan point though, no IP are like those 2 and I'm sure cause having COD is a big part of Sony's business model, MS might be willing to do some deal for IP like FF if Sony does indeed end up buying them.

MS might be more in a situation to ask then Sony with something like FF, as FF moves so much units on PS systems, they could not put out XB games and still break records, where COD needs to be on all platforms to move such numbers.

Regardless, as of right now...nothing like COD exist, its not to say something can emerge though as look at the wild shit with Fortnite and APEX.

People forget that there was a time halo used to rival cod , and those halos were made by bungie.
Destiny can't hold a candle against cod but a new iP focused on competitive multiplayer like classic halo used to

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Honestly I hope COD goes exclusive

I think the status quo of COD on top has gone on too long and some disruption will really open up some competition in the genre to fill the void
I think this is a good take. Loads of companies would want to grab the attention of people who'd otherwise be buying COD on PS. If it does go exclusive, it'll be interesting to see if Sony think they need to create an FPS of their own or not, despite having bought Bungie and Destiny or if they leave it to third parties.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
People forget that there was a time halo used to rival cod , and those halos were made by bungie.
Destiny can't hold a candle against cod but a new iP focused on competitive multiplayer like classic halo used to

That would rather undercut Sony's point, yes. I wonder what they'd say if Microsoft said Sony already own a game studio capable of putting out a game to compete with COD.

Infamy v1

MS did the same for Tomb Raider and? MS have been doing it too.
Sony moneyhatted Tomb Raiders entire IP and subsequent sequels away from Sega to be PS exclusive, thus associating it with the brand for close to a decade. Microsoft got RotTR exclusive for a year and the rats came scurrying out of the woodwork acting like WW3 had just started, shouting from the rooftops and villianizing them while at the same time crying when Microsoft makes acquisitions and saying they should have just paid for timed exclusives instead. Can't make this shit up.

Like COD, if Xbox wants Final Fantasy they can just make one. It goes both ways.

Sony owns Final Fantasy? You don't need to answer that question, as we know your argument is disingenuous.

pasterpl

where are high production budget games like:
horizon zero dawn
forbidden west
god of war
last of us 1/2
ghost of thusima
death stranding
spiderman
bloodborne
detroit become human

these great games are absent on xbox
let's see what games are absen on playstation

gears 4/5 , crap continuation of a great series. clearly a misdirected franchise thanks to the imcompentece of xbox studios, most likely
halo infinite, above average campaign but nothing groundbreaking. nothing like the games above. and it is supported so bad that more and more people abandon the game everyday
halo 5, horrible game
quantum break a short 8 hr flick
sea of thieves a very good multiplayer fun game, but nothing like the games listed above

then remains forza horizon and forza motorsport. only decent, valid, console-seller type of high production game. then again, it is its own niche.

just admit, Xbox studios are either incapable of making games like PS studios do, or they don't care about that type of thing. even sony might abandon them, since they don't sell as much as valorant, fortnite skins. it is actually a blessing that sony still pushes and supports those studios and produces those great high quality games.

i'm just an observer, bruh. yes i have no idea. my ideas are completely based on what i see and been seeing for the recent 10 years. xbox studios CANNOT make a high production narrative focused high quality 90+ metacritic game. PERIOD. they lack the vision, they're mismanaged and above all they don't have any passion towards building such a game

i just want ONE 90+ metacrtic high production story focused game out of xbox. JUST ONE. they simply have NONE. it is really unacceptable in grand scheme of things.

horizon zero dawn - me and my partner both managed only 3h play time as it was way too boring
forbidden west - haven’t played
god of war - managed 20h, got bored, never finished
last of us 1/2 -got 20h into first one was ok, didn’t grab me to finish it
ghost of thusima - preordered, played day 1, 2h in boring, never came back
death stranding - see ghost of Tsushima
spiderman - 3h in, boring, never came back
bloodborne - bought it, never installed it
detroit become human - this one I give you, was a fun game, finished multiple times just to see various endings

Point I am making is that games you might like may be boring to others. None of the games above are great to me. Mostly average when it comes to gameplay loops. I have sold my PS4 pro recently with my games collection so if you want to proof I owned it is in neogaf marketplace listings.

Where is Sonys sea of thieves? Where is Sonys forza horizon? Where are Sony fps games? No rts games, no sims, just one dish served in different plate.

Last edited:

Forsythia

Sony moneyhatted Tomb Raiders entire IP and subsequent sequels away from Sega to be PS exclusive, thus associating it with the brand for close to a decade. Microsoft got RotTR exclusive for a year and the rats came scurrying out of the woodwork acting like WW3 had just started, shouting from the rooftops and villianizing them while at the same time crying when Microsoft makes acquisitions and saying they should have just paid for timed exclusives instead. Can't make this shit up.

Sony owns Final Fantasy? You don't need to answer that question, as we know your argument is disingenuous.
25 years from they'll still bring up Rise of the Tomb Raider, which was the last big third-party timed exclusive for MS. Meanwhile, we have Sony moneyhatting games left and right, with some of them not even sure they'll even end up on Xbox. But that's fine, because Sony is the market leader. God forbid some other company wanting to change that status quo.

S0ULZB0URNE

(Poor DC) Like how you try and diminish MS when they moneyhatted Tomb Raider as well. 😂😂😂

Lets not forget about the 5 years of COD timed exclusivity during the 360's era.

Infamy v1

(Poor DC) Like how you try and diminish MS when they moneyhatted Tomb Raider as well. 😂😂😂

Lets not forget about the 5 years of COD timed exclusivity during the 360's era.

The hilarious part is you're too entrenched to realize that you're embarrassing your own self, and continue to do so.

Moneyhatting Tomb Raider for a year doesn't equate to moneyhatting the entire IP and all sequels away from Sega despite the first game doing extremely well being multiplatform. There is a reason Tomb Raider was associated with PlayStation.

And somebody already ratio'd you to oblivion earlier with the CoD comparisons and how they're much more significant over the past gen.

Regardless, Microsoft isn't playing Sony's game 1:1 anymore and are now playing in their own league. That's why everyone across various forums/outlets/social media are mocking Sony and telling them to stop crying and compete. You're just gonna have to deal with it.

Jormatar

25 years from they'll still bring up Rise of the Tomb Raider, which was the last big third-party timed exclusive for MS. Meanwhile, we have Sony moneyhatting games left and right, with some of them not even sure they'll even end up on Xbox. But that's fine, because Sony is the market leader. God forbid some other company wanting to change that status quo.
Last?

We have seen plenty of moneyhatting from Microsoft after that. PS5 version of Yakuza 7 comes to mind. Stalker 2 is another. Then we have many games moneyhatted by Microsoft from the indie/AA scenes like Tunic, Cuphead etc.

Both companies are equally as just as evil when it comes to spending money to make games exclusives for your platform.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
horizon zero dawn - me and my partner both managed only 3h play time as it was way too boring
forbidden west - haven’t played
god of war - managed 20h, got bored, never finished
last of us 1/2 -got 20h into first one was ok, didn’t grab me to finish it
ghost of thusima - preordered, played day 1, 2h in boring, never came back
death stranding - see ghost of Tsushima
spiderman - 3h in, boring, never came back
detroit become human - this one I give you, was a fun game, finished multiple times just to see various endings

Point I am making is that games you might like may be boring to others. None of the games above are great to me. Mostly average when it comes to gameplay loops. I have sold my PS4 pro recently with my games collection so if you want to proof I owned it is in neogaf marketplace listings.

Where is Sonys sea of thieves? Where is Sonys forza horizon? Where are Sony fps games? No rts games, no sims, just one dish served in different plate.

You're counter is pretty weak. No one cares that you find those games all boring. It is easy to just say that everything PS does is shitty and Xbox is good.

The games you mention for Xbox, well hardly mention anything, are no miracles. You can hardly name a game. I mean what rts games are on Xbox? what sim games? Flight sim? anyone playing that on console lol? what FPS games? Microsoft itself has Halo and not much else (everything else has been acquired and not created by them). Other then that you're response is just weak.

The hilarious part is you're too entrenched to realize that you're embarrassing your own self, and continue to do so.

Moneyhatting Tomb Raider for a year doesn't equate to moneyhatting the entire IP and all sequels away from Sega despite the first game doing extremely well being multiplatform. There is a reason Tomb Raider was associated with PlayStation.

And somebody already ratio'd you to oblivion earlier with the CoD comparisons and how they're much more significant over the past gen.

Regardless, Microsoft isn't playing Sony's game 1:1 anymore and are now playing in their own league. That's why everyone across various forums/outlets/social media are mocking Sony and telling them to stop crying and compete. You're just gonna have to deal with it.

Who, Sony crying? The only people that are crying are the xbox fans still years after years in their victim complex. Like this post of yours, show how weak the xbox fanboys are because they need to go back in time and cry about something when the Xbox didn't even existed. So Sony needs to do the same as Microsoft, Otherwise MS will become insecure and so will their fans? Well.

It is inconvenient that Xbox has never been the market leader and has not beaten PS, but perhaps some of you should be a little less soft and fall into a victim role.

Last edited:
Last?

We have seen plenty of moneyhatting from Microsoft after that. PS5 version of Yakuza 7 comes to mind. Stalker 2 is another. Then we have many games moneyhatted by Microsoft from the indie/AA scenes like Tunic, Cuphead etc.

Both companies are equally as just as evil when it comes to spending money to make games exclusives for your platform.
Microsoft helped fund cuphead development, so that's not a very good example.

Other 3 are, just saying though

S0ULZB0URNE

Sony didn't take TR for long from Sega as DC died with the quickness(might of lasted a year after ps2) 🤭

MS doing it all makes them guilty of doing it PERIOD and you a HYPOCRITE for trying to flush away this fact.

Nobody ratio'd me earlier in fact It was the opposite as after I called out how they talked out there ass... they corrected themselves and came correct.

Sony didn't take TR for long from Sega as DC died with the quickness(might of lasted a year after ps2) 🤭

MS doing it all makes them guilty of doing it PERIOD and you a HYPOCRITE for trying to flush away this fact.

Nobody ratio'd me earlier in fact It was the opposite as after I called out how they talked out there ass... they corrected themselves and came correct.
Silly to pretend that there aren't levels to things.

Example

Game one has cosmetics you can buy

Game two has p2w items that make you stronger

You: THEY ARE BOTH GUILTY OF MICROTRANSACTIONS, PERIOD!

You're correct, but one game is obviously more egregious.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You're counter is pretty weak. No one cares that you find those games all boring. It is easy to just say that everything PS does is shitty and Xbox is good.

But isn't that what people saying the opposite are doing ?

"Gears 4/5 bad games lol
"Flight sim, who plays that lol"
"Halo Infinite who cares lol"

Both sides are using the same kind of rhetoric. It's easy to be dismissive, but games like the ones I mentioned above are as big budget as the ones Sony makes, if not more.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Silly to pretend that there aren't levels to things.

Example

Game one has cosmetics you can buy

Game two has p2w items that make you stronger

You: THEY ARE BOTH GUILTY OF MICROTRANSACTIONS, PERIOD!

You're correct, but one game is obviously more egregious.
MS is guilty of the same practices.

Call a spade a spade.

What's up with the attempted damage controlling with some of you?

MS is guilty of the same practices.

Call a spade a spade.

What's up with the attempted damage controlling with some of you?
They absolutely are, just much less frequent/egregiously.

Not damage control, just call it like I see it, I own a ps5 and haven't touched my xbox since I got it, love both consoles though, just being real. I'll call out nonsense from Xbox stans when I see it too

S0ULZB0URNE

They absolutely are, just much less frequent/egregiously.

Not damage control, just call it like I see it, I own a ps5 and haven't touched my xbox since I got it, love both consoles though, just being real. I'll call out nonsense from Xbox stans when I see it too
Buying the company that makes the biggest game on any platform that is most played on your competitors platform... says otherwise.

Don't get me started on the Bethesda acquisition...

Buying the company that makes the biggest game on any platform that is most played on your competitors platform... says otherwise.

Don't get me started on the Bethesda acquisition...
I thought we were talking specifically about moneyhatting, but I didn't catch your entire back and forth.

That being said, if they could only buy games that were played most on Xbox they wouldn't be able to buy any, they're just trying to even the playing field.

Sony did the same by locking up bungie to make sure they have at least one live service competitor , don't blame them at all for it.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

Where is Sonys sea of thieves?
Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Razvedka

Banned
I hope something like this would shut down the deal wherever it can, just to spite MS. They're a behemoth that literally cannot be competed against.

Microsoft needs to be broken up, like yesterday.

EDIT: Everybody "LOL"ing at my comment: I am serious. Microsoft has been a menace way longer than they've been in the game industry. Their acquisitions are never a good thing for any industry (gaming or otherwise).
I agree with this. Their track record is awful, and was awful well before their involvement in gaming with Xbox.

See for instance: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish

Last edited:

Infamy v1

So you're moving goalposts and making excuses for Sony?

"SO what if Sony did it first and did it far, far worse! Sega died quickly after so iT dOeSnT cOuNt!!" (as if Sony didn't play a hand in the demise of Sega? LOL)

According to you, because MS did it at all, "PERIOD," it makes everyone pointing and laughing at you "HYPOCRITES?"

If so, why do you and your fellow rats cry when, among MANY other things, people point out Sony bought a publisher first? "iT's nOt tHe SaMe! "iT wAs LoNg aGo!" [insert excuse here].

It shouldn't matter, right? They're guilty of doing it "PERIOD" and you are a "HYPOCRITE" for trying to flush away this fact, right? Right. Mental gymnastics your way from that one. Don't forget to rush through your post history and quickly delete all your posts showing you being a raging hypocrite, guilty of doing the very thing you're calling people out for.

And no, you're known for getting ratio'd and not replying but instead simply throwing a "LOL" like on the post. Ain't nobody correcting themselves talking to you, lmao.

S0ULZB0URNE

So you're moving goalposts and making excuses for Sony?

"SO what if Sony did it first and did it far, far worse! Sega died quickly after so iT dOeSnT cOuNt!!" (as if Sony didn't play a hand in the demise of Sega? LOL)

According to you, because MS did it at all, "PERIOD," it makes everyone pointing and laughing at you "HYPOCRITES?"

If so, why do you and your fellow rats cry when, among MANY other things, people point out Sony bought a publisher first? "iT's nOt tHe SaMe! "iT wAs LoNg aGo!" [insert excuse here].

It shouldn't matter, right? They're guilty of doing it "PERIOD" and you are a "HYPOCRITE" for trying to flush away this fact, right? Right. Mental gymnastics your way from that one. Don't forget to rush through your post history and quickly delete all your posts showing you being a raging hypocrite, guilty of doing the very thing you're calling people out for.

And no, you're known for getting ratio'd and not replying but instead simply throwing a "LOL" like on the post. Ain't nobody correcting themselves talking to you, lmao.
No fool I am saying BOTH are guilty. Lolz

Infamy v1

No fool I am saying BOTH are guilty. Lolz
Lmao, what? No you're not. You know you're full of shit when you pull out the one-liner and the "lolz." You're using the "MicrosoftToo!" card in a desperate attempt to damage control and defend Sony (and doing it badly at that), and a cursory glance at your post history shows how transparant you are in the off chance someone doesn't recognize your shtick.

S0ULZB0URNE

Lmao, what? No you're not. You know you're full of shit when you pull out the one-liner and the "lolz." You're using the "MicrosoftToo!" card in a desperate attempt to damage control and defend Sony (and doing it badly at that), and a cursory glance at your post history shows how transparant you are in the off chance someone doesn't recognize your shtick.
Yes I am.

Keep trying though.

Microsoft is vastly bigger than just a video game console maker and publisher.
So what does Xbox look like after their 'monopoly' is broken up? Xbox is the context here no Windows. Sony is free to make a computer OS as well. Xbox is third out of three console makers you would make them 4th behind Stadia?

pasterpl

You can laugh, I have pre-ordered physical edition Elden Ring, and it is still sealed in the box, not sure when I will have time to play it (sort of sticking with forza horizon now, and that game never ends), also got so many games that I have started that I need to finish. It is all because of the games pass (I play shit lots of smaller games, multiple genres etc. I love variety), the Nintendo switch I have got just recently and to add up to my ‘issues’ my steam got delivered last week (need to install windows on this and make it my gamepass machine). I am in my own gamer heaven :)

Btw. My PS4 pro was by far my least used platform, and I used it only for Sony exclusives. It was a reason why it had to go.
PS. I have also got quite powerful gaming laptop bought this year, but I use it lots more that I was using my ps4

pasterpl

The games you mention for Xbox, well hardly mention anything, are no miracles. You can hardly name a game. I mean what rts games are on Xbox? what sim games? Flight sim? anyone playing that on console lol? what FPS games? Microsoft itself has Halo and not much else (everything else has been acquired and not created by them). Other then that you're response is just weak.

I did say that most of the games are average not shitty, and I said that Detroit I think it was great, probably because it moved away a bit from the template. I have also enjoyed the latest uncharted game and really close to sinishing it but then, guess what, got bored. On Xbox, especially with game pass I have got lots more of variety of games. And yes, I play rts on consoles as well as my pc, love all recent remakes of age of empires, stil have to play the latest version on pc, finished both halo wars games on Xbox and need to replay these again while I am waiting for halo wars 3. Yes, flight seem is amazingly relaxing experience, more on Xbox than pc (I am not a sim buff) but it is magical how this game is almost like meditation for me. Halo infinite was chosen gafs game of the year and I finished it couple of days (main story), still lots to explore, but any other fps game is better on Xbox due to controller. This is my opinionion, that I have got right to share like anyone else on this forum, like people saying that ms is shit game publisher(even when they were chosen best publisher of 2021 with highest ever avg meta score), that there are no games on Xbox, that all ms titles are shit etc.

Look at me, I am a multi platform player that abandoned playstation as there was not enough great games that were playstation only to keep me excited about the brand and keep me in their ecosystem. No point for me to get another playstation. It might sting, but this is my own, private view.

And games like Forza Horizon, Sea OF thieves, Fligh Sim got much better legs than any of Sony exclusives released on playstation in the last 10 years. This might a reason why attachment rate is so small on playstation for their exclusive and they have bundle shit out of the underselling titles as they do now with new horizon game. Spot the difference, HFW is barely talked about any more, and HotWheels expansion on Forza is so amazing that some people are calling it to be made a separate game. Same happened with gears hivebusters.

geary

Key phrase “there was a time”. Gamers are not tge same, devs are not the same, creative minds are the same in the teams, market and QoL stuff is not the same. Stop comparing what was 20 y ago with what is now

cireza

Sony having bought their place in the video game market 25 years ago, MS are simply following their example. And this time, the company that has much more money is actually MS. That's a pretty funny turnaround.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
You can laugh, I have pre-ordered physical edition Elden Ring, and it is still sealed in the box, not sure when I will have time to play it (sort of sticking with forza horizon now, and that game never ends), also got so many games that I have started that I need to finish. It is all because of the games pass (I play shit lots of smaller games, multiple genres etc. I love variety), the Nintendo switch I have got just recently and to add up to my ‘issues’ my steam got delivered last week (need to install windows on this and make it my gamepass machine). I am in my own gamer heaven :)

Btw. My PS4 pro was by far my least used platform, and I used it only for Sony exclusives. It was a reason why it had to go.
PS. I have also got quite powerful gaming laptop bought this year, but I use it lots more that I was using my ps4
Cbs Agree GIF by Paramount+

octiny

Banned
Clearly stating his opinion. Your just to butt hurt to see.

Don't mind S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE , he's the same guy who still thinks Bungie is going PS exclusive on all future titles regardless of what Jim Ryan or Bungie themselves said.

He's also the same guy who thinks Game Pass is full of trash yet when given evidence that large majority of games are 80 MC or above he starts moving goal posts.

Furthermore, I remember when he asked someone what their favorite Xbox games are only to shit on them after said person told him (even though they were highly rated games), then when asked the same question on what he considers a "good" game....he pussies out & blocks you.

EDMIX

Don't mind S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE , he's the same guy who still thinks Bungie is going PS exclusive on all future titles regardless of what Jim Ryan or Bungie themselves said.

He's also the same guy who thinks Game Pass is full of trash yet when given evidence that large majority of games are 80 MC or above he starts moving goal posts.

Furthermore, I remember when he asked someone what their favorite Xbox games are only to shit on them after said person told him (even though they were highly rated games), then when asked the same question on what he considers a "good" game....he pussies out & blocks you.

smh...what the fuck does this have to do with Sony's comments regarding Call Of Duty as an IP?

Go war elsewhere man, PM the person or something lol

EDMIX

I think a lot of devs can make great games that I might like better then COD, but that game right now is unrivaled in regards to sales of AAA FPS titles.

I know people where hyped about the last BF, but even myself being a day 1 BF person never wasted any energy telling folks it would outsell Call Of Duty, that is just likely. Even being hyped about Titanfall 3....that game is not outselling Call Of Duty.

Socom reboot
Battlefield 4 the remake
Battlefield Bad Company 3
Crysis 4
Killzone 2 remake
Killzone 5
shit even bring MAG out from the dead and its STILL not outselling Call Of Duty lol

It doesn't mater if I like those IP, based on sales alone, what I personally like is irrelevant to what I feel could outsell a Call Of Duty. Right now, I don't see anything that can out do it and it would need to be some massive new IP none of us have ever heard of before. If your non-gaming family and tweens you know are talking about some new FPS sweeping the nation over the twitches and tiktoks....thats going to be the one that does it in, until that day, I think we'll see COD continue to move those massive ass units.

I think Sony is right on this one. I just don't see something on the horizon moving more units. Its going to be done in by something none of us heard of.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think Sony is right on this one. I just don't see something on the horizon moving more units. Its going to be done in by something none of us heard of.

Yep. The key issue here is the recognition factor of the name Call Of Duty. No matter how good the product it is you offer, do you really want to go head-to-head with that brand?

Hell, no! Because its a known thing across pretty much the entire FPS market, it sells to casuals and hardcore gamers alike. Its such a "theme-park" package too, with stuff like the Zombies sub-franchise, on top of the flashy campaign and the monetization saturated MP suite.

Given time, you could establish your thing as the "better" option, but that's going to take a few product cycles and its going to cost a shit-load of money to even attempt.

Which I guess is what dismays me the most about these mergers and acquisitions. I suspect that all its going to result in a lot of time, money and resources being expended on a corporate chess-game that actually narrows choice for the end-user. Its not going to encourage creativity, its going to encourage product-matching.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think this is a good take. Loads of companies would want to grab the attention of people who'd otherwise be buying COD on PS. If it does go exclusive, it'll be interesting to see if Sony think they need to create an FPS of their own or not, despite having bought Bungie and Destiny or if they leave it to third parties.

don't forget Bungie want their games to be multi platform still

phil_t98

#SonyToo

a lot of that people seem to forget, Sony wouldn't be as good as it is without buying IP's early on away from other consoles and studios that were multi plat back then. the whole narrative of Sony only buys studios they work closely with is just silly. very early on they were buying psygnosis who were Multiplatform so they could keep exclusives like wipeout and destruction derby which were huge hitters when Sony came into the gaming market. taking Tomb raider from the other consoles was huge to

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
don't forget Bungie want their games to be multi platform still

Yeah, but it doesn't really matter. Sony are talking about nobody being able to make a multiplatform game that can compete with COD. J Jibran#one is saying the not only has it been done, but it's been done by a developer that Sony themselves now own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom