• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Slams Microsoft TV Deals

ManaByte

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4154&Itemid=2

Sony has issued a statement criticizing its rival Microsoft's TV and movies announcement, arguing that it cuts out Core system users, who will not be able to store the content, thereby splitting the user-base.

Microsoft's TV and movie downloads are available to owners of the higher-priced (and more popular) version of Xbox 360, but not to Core system owners who do not have a hard drive. A spokesperson for Sony offered, "PlayStation 3's content is designed for everyone to enjoy right out of the box, no matter which configuration you purchase. We would never segregate or shut out any of our consumers from our entertainment experience because they didn't buy the top of the line system. Both PlayStation 3 versions available on November 17 include hard drives for downloading content."

We'll have more on this from Microsoft later.

:lol Man I love this industry. Maybe Microsoft should issue a statement saying Sony's console price shuts out half the gaming population? Then the industry would be REALLY funny. At least they don't call Nintendo kiddy anymore.

Jeff-DSA

Well, it's not Sony's place to point it out, but it's true.

I can't wait for Major Nelson to say that Core users chose to not get TV shows. It's about choice. Freakin' douche...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"PlayStation 3's content is designed for everyone to enjoy right out of the box"

yeah, but sony are letting those people down with the cost of the machine, and HOW DARE THEY?

What's so true about it? Core users can just go buy an HDD and it would still cost them less than a Core PS3 unit. :lol

scarybore

I can't wait for Major Nelson to say that Core users chose to not get TV shows. It's about choice.

Well they did make the choice to buy the core pack, it is their problem and if they want to rectify it they can just buy a hard drive essentially paying what they would have for a premium anyways. Sony is just stirring shit.

bill0527

clearacell said:
There was a reason why it's called the "tard pack".

Sony is right on this issue.

I think Sony has a point, but I don't think they're 100% right.

Core owners are few and far between, but I can already see people blowing it out of proportion like half of the 360 userbase is going to be split, or some other shitty exaggeration.

I doubt most Core owners who haven't installed a hard drive yet are even hooked up to Xbox Live. The marketplace is pretty much worthless without one. I just don't see the Core audience as being somebody all that interested in paying to download TV shows or movies. If they were interested in downloading a lot of content, they wouldn't have bought a Core in the first place or would definetely have upgraded by now.

Snaku

Banned
holygrail059bk8.jpg

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!

Joates

Banned
But what if Sony releases something that will not fit on the smaller HDD systems. Core packers be damned. DUN Dun dun.....

Raistlin

Link648099 said:
:lol Man I love this industry. Maybe Microsoft should issue a statement saying Sony's console price shuts out half the gaming population? Then the industry would be REALLY funny. At least they don't call Nintendo kiddy anymore.

If a person has the discretionary income to purchase a 360, then they likely have the money to afford a PS3.

Neither console is currently priced for main-stream consumption at this point.

Jeff-DSA

Deathcraze said:
Well they did make the choice to buy the core pack, it is their problem and if they want to rectify it they can just buy a hard drive essentially paying what they would have for a premium anyways. Sony is just stirring shit.

You forgot to quote the part where I called Major Nelson a douche.

Major Nelson is a PR damage controlling douche.

WolfgangK

So people have choice. I don't see the problem. Apparently Sony *still* can't grasp the concept. People who want the added functionality, spend more to get it. Those who just want to play games, don't.

When you're spending $300+++++ on game consoles, it's nice to have choices.

scarybore

Jeff-DSA said:
You forgot to quote the part where I called Major Nelson a douche.

Major Nelson is a PR damage controlling douche.

There you go then, I just didn't see it as part of my arguement. :lol

DSN2K

Sony care really care about us gamers, EVIL MS ARE JUST AFTER THE LIVING ROOM AND WORLD DOMINATION.

jaypah

damn, that was quick :lol and from the fellas who said, "you bought the hard drive? awesome! you know it doesn't work with the newer version of Ps2 right?....hey, you in the back...Square, shut it and make a new FF before i give you something to cry about!!!".

i love this industry.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Whine some more Sony! :lol

God they're getting rediculous with all their stupid comments. I guess Core users can't go out and buy a HDD if they really wanted one.

Wulfer

This coming from a company that forces the customer to buy a Blu-ray player, forces them to pay high prices and has a history of smoke mirror tactics. How shocking to see them release this statement!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
When making inflammatory, reactive, late night damage control spin releases, one must be careful not to use utterly hyperbolic, emotionally charged and politically sensitive, exaggerated language. Really. For shame. Somebody should have caught this and said, "hrrms, that might be overdoing the drama" but no, they put it out about an hour after the announcement.:

We would never segregate or shut out any of our consumers

PS., I don't think they meant that, it's just LAME is all.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Sony knows all about segmenting userbases....

BTW has there ever been any time of determination of how much of the % of the X360 userbase are non-HD owners?

Vrolokus

Banned
Wow, Sony critical of MS? Shocking.

When I read that release, I got this overwhelming feeling of "Those MS dickheads stole our thunder, because we haven't detailed our plan yet." It seems a little petty and silly to even release a comment on it.

And if MS wanted to get sucked into the tit-for-tat, obviously the response would be what everyone else has mentioned: "Choice - we aren't forcing gamers to buy a do-everything multimedia device."

Petrarca

Banned
actually MS downlaod content is a moot point. I mean you can only rent movies, that will stay in your hard-drive for a couple of days. This business model will hurt rental providers such as Blockbusters, more than it will hurt Sony.

DVD buyers who wants to own the movies will still buy the hard copy. Also buyers would want a movie with its case, so they can display them as part of their movie collection.

Mojovonio

Banned
How is it dividing the userbase if it has nothing to do with gaming? If you have a core and really want to use the service, buy a HDD. Its really not that complicated.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
WULFER said:
This coming from a company that forces the customer to buy a Blu-ray player, forces them to pay high prices and has a history of smoke mirror tactics. How shocking to see them release this statement!

at least everyone is on an equal plain to be ****ed by them. with microsoft, not so much! :)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
We would never segregate or shut out any of our consumers from our entertainment experience because they didn't buy the top of the line system.

But what if I prefer HD-DVD over Bluray?

this isn't new. there are already lots of videos and content tard pack owners can't enjoy.

but yeah, Sony and MS do this kind of reactive press release all the time. i wish they wouldn't but it's like, peoples job to do this.

WULFER said:
i dont remember sony putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy anything. the **** you rambling on about?

Mojovonio

Banned
Anyways, I just think Sony wasn't expecting this at all, because I seriously doubt they have anything remotely similar even in planning stages at this point.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
cank stoochie said:
i dont remember sony putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy anything. the **** you rambling on about?

It's Wulfer, just ignore him and he'll go away.

Mojovonio said:
Anyways, I just think Sony wasn't expecting this at all, because I seriously doubt they have anything remotely similar even in planning stages at this point.

:lol Have you even listened to them talk about their plans for their network?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
We would never segregate or shut out any of our consumers from our entertainment experience because they didn't buy the top of the line system.

So I should buy the cheaper PS3 then?

I think it's time to seriously ask ourselves if there's really a place in the market for people who just want a machine to play games in high-def. Does such a consumer really exist? And if so, should anybody really want their business?

"PlayStation 3's content is designed for everyone to enjoy right out of the box"

Oh really? Does this mean that they decided to start shipping component or HDMI in their box now? Funny, I was under the impression that if I wanted to watch Blu-Ray movies in HD, I would have to buy something extra because the PS3 won't play movies in HD "right out of the box".

Mojovonio said:
Sony's actually been going on about this forever. Which is probably why they're so antsy about MS finally gearing up to do it themselves.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I think it's time to seriously ask ourselves if there's really a place in the market for people who just want a machine to play games in high-def. Does such a consumer really exist? And if so, should anybody really want their business?

Those consumers exist but the console marker to make that machine doesn't.

Top Bottom