• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Slams Microsoft TV Deals

Raistlin

Norse said:
DING DING DING DING! WINNER!......how much are these cables? I know hdmi cables can be had for cheap now days, but doesnt the ps3 use special component cables? How much is Sony asking for those?

I hate Sony more and more each day. If they would just keep their mouths shut I wouldnt mind them. I will be getting a ps3 though....not because of sony, but for the games made by other game companies that may skip an xbox 360 version. Just not sure when I will pull the trigger.

Dear god.

There is a HUGE difference between not being able to download content at all (without a $100 add-on) ... versus not being able to view HD content in HD.

Seriously ... that isn't even apples to oranges, it's like apples to phone-book.

Raistlin

---- said:
Sony needs to stop doing this. They keep making assumptions about Xbox 360 without having any clue about MS's plans. Sony's knee jerk reaction to the 1080p announcement and this makes Sony look like they weren't prepared for any of this. Whether that is the case or not.

All companies' PR are based on the here-and-now - otherwise companies couldn't make any sort of competitive analysis ... ever.

Remember MS and 1080p is not going to happen on either console, other than for games like Battlezone?

aaaaa0

kaching said:
But if they're determined to do it, pointing out that MS themselves have limited their marketplace by making the HDD an optional, pricey and proprietary component of the 360 which happens to be absolutely mandatory for this service to work, certainly isn't the weakest argument to be made.

It's still pretty damn weak when you consider that even the version of the 360 that comes with that "optional, pricey and proprietary" component costs $100 less than the low-end "hey it's for everyone!" version of PS3. :)

Not to mention, good luck getting *any* version of the PS3 this Christmas.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Like I said, any kind of downplaying response was unwarranted and in poor taste but if they were going to do it, it was hardly the weakest argument to make. MS policy around hdd storage for the 360 is the weakest link in their digital content delivery plans.

Not to mention, good luck getting *any* version of the PS3 this Christmas.
I'm sure they don't mind trying to keep people from going to the other side of the fence in the meantime. :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Onix said:
Remember MS and 1080p is not going to happen on either console, other than for games like Battlezone, simple sports games like Tennis, low-activity, high poly games like NBA and anything on Arcade or PS3's arcade service worth adding it to and every now and then something surprising like a driving game.

fixed

aaaaa0

kaching said:
MS policy around hdd storage for the 360 is the weakest link in their digital content delivery plans.

Oh yes, I'm sure if the message board posters here are aware of it, MS is aware of it too. :)

Stinkles said:

Eh no

the few that come out with 1080"x" support are either going to be simple classic arcade ports that don't need to render complex scenes (think the original Battlezone), or will give up a lot of in-game visual effects and simply won't look very good (hence the poor showing of Gran Turismo "HD" at this past E3).

MS should counter with the following and I believe some of these will happen.

1. Release 100GB HD accessory
2. Premium gets upgraded to 100GB drive
3. Core gets updated to now include a 20GB drive
4. XBOX 360's connected to Vista Media Center can stored downloaded content on Media Center PC
5. Vista Media Center gains access to the same downloadable content and then can stream to XBOX 360's

Also doesnt anyone think that MS wants to drive Core owners to purchase accessories like the HDD. One of original XBOX problems was that you really didnt need to purchase any accessories beyond controllers. Sony and Nintendo made a bunch of $ off of accessories. So for many people like the HD-DVD, the core allowed them to purchase a 360 and later on when they can afford it they add the HDD. Sure would have been a better value in the long run to purchase the Premium up front, but not everyone can.

Subitai

So, if I don't want to DL and play old Xbox games, faster loading, I don't have to pay for it, right?

What's wrong with that?

I can get a HD and XBL later when I'm interested.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
SolidSnakex said:

I thought we'd already seen 1080p games like NBA etc? What's to stop devs making relatively sophisticated 1080p games as well as easy arcade style stuff?

Anyhoo, sorta OT.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
aaaaa0 said:
Oh yes, I'm sure if the message board posters here are aware of it, MS is aware of it too. :)
No doubt, but as pointed out earlier this kind of mud-slinging is based on the here and now.

Busty

Banned
If this situation develops into a case of Peter Moore taking to the stage at X07 to announce that Microsoft have secured the download exclusivity for old episodes of the Cosby Show over Live...

... I'm leaving gaming for good and taking up going to see plays. Yeah, actual plays!!!!!!

That is all.

Sydle

Sony's statement is justified only if someone bought a 360 with the intention of it being a multimedia center. It can be that, but the fact is that it's first and foremost a video game console. Microsoft made sure of that, and they went a step further and offered numerous ways to get more out of your 360 if you choose to do so.

They don't make you pay for a bunch of maybe worthless features up front like Sony.

Sony am fail. Again.

all the 360 should have come with hard drives. MS wanted to offer a lower price point and save money. Its business, but I do think its really crappy. There may not be alot of users with no HDD but I think MS should have just made a more thought out decision. The idea to do something like this TV content had to be there from the beginning.

BobTheFork said:
all the 360 should have come with hard drives. MS wanted to offer a lower price point and save money. Its business, but I do think its really crappy. There may not be alot of users with no HDD but I think MS should have just made a more thought out decision. The idea to do something like this TV content had to be there from the beginning.

why is it any different now? downloadable content has been there since day 1 of launch. why are people bitching about this now? you made a choice when you bought the core. you knew it didn't have a hard drive. you also knew you could add a hard drive in the future if you wanted to. you bought the core to save money (presumably). but at least you had the choice.

Seth C

I doubt most people who bought the core pack care about the online movies, or are really even on Live at all. If they DO happen to care, they already bought a hard drive or they can do so, and still come out $100 cheaper than the cheapest PS3.

If Microsoft is segmenting their market then Sony is just outright alienating theirs.

bill0527

SeaOfMadness said:
why is it any different now? downloadable content has been there since day 1 of launch. why are people bitching about this now? you made a choice when you bought the core. you knew it didn't have a hard drive. you also knew you could add a hard drive in the future if you wanted to. you bought the core to save money (presumably). but at least you had the choice.

Exactly. Downloadable content and Xbox Live have been available since day 1. Its not like Microsoft sprung this downloadable content on Core owners after the fact.

There's absolutely no reason at all to hold back the entire platform based on a low percentage of people that purchased a core. Those people have an option to upgrade. They knew, in the beginning when they purchased their system, that Marketplace had downloadable content and that they would need a hard drive if they wanted it... and if they didn't know, then its their own fault because that information was readily available to them. If downloadable content was so important to them, they would not have purchased a Core in the first place.

Oh and please get over yourselves SDF.... need I remind you of the Playstation Network Adapter or the HDD ?

Piper Az

Norse said:
not sure about that...MS should have just bit the bullet and signed a deal with apple to have itunes on 360...hell, MS owns part of apple, so why not?

Because Apple and MS have different business models. Apple don't make money off $0.99 songs but do from selling iPods. MS is the opposite: they lose money selling the 360s but make money off selling software - games and now video contents.

SeaOfMadness said:
You know, thats a good quesiton. The only thing I can think of is that this isn't any one item of download, its an entire service the non HDD people will miss out on. More likely, its just people acting pissed because Sony opened their yap about it. I think think all the 360's should have come with HDD's. It would have been great for Devs to add HDD functionality without having to worry about non HDD users. Both MS and Sony should have stuck with a single model.

people didnt seem to bitch and moan this much when the ipod added video support. and microsoft probably has a larger plan than this to roll out downloadable video. microsoft has been the leader of online gaming and i dont think they're going to just throw this step away with all the effort their putting into digital media.

Top Bottom