• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sues George 'geohot' Hotz and fail0verflow over PS3 jailbreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RubberJohnny said:
Isn't it a bit bizarre that no matter what you do to secure your console/game against piracy/homebrew it's going to be hacked, yet it's super easy-peasy to stop people hacking in online games? Couldn't developers just use the same techniques they use online on their console and then boom - instant security?

Or is it that it's not that easy, and you're trying to downplay the negatives here to make it all look positive.

That's....not bizarre at all. You are combating two different types of issues there. But I'm pretty sure you know that.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
RubberJohnny said:
Isn't it a bit bizarre that no matter what you do to secure your console/game against piracy/homebrew it's going to be hacked, yet it's super easy-peasy to stop people hacking in online games? Couldn't developers just use the same techniques they use online on their console and then boom - instant security?

Or is it that it's not that easy, and you're trying to downplay the negatives here to make it all look positive?

With hacking the hardware you have to do it once and it's done, and you're dealing with a single piece of hardware which you can compromise on its own.

With individual games, you have to bypass the protection for each game separately. You can be more cunning with the form the protection takes, as well, making it easier to disguise. I quite enjoyed unprotecting software on home computers - not to distribute, just for the challenge of it, and some of the protection systems were incredibly cunning - still remember one where you could take out the protection that rebooted the computer on loading a copied version of the game, then half way through the game the characters' heads would become detached from their bodies. Genius.

Also for online games, you can do a certain amount of double-checking on other nodes. Because you can't compromise them and fake their record of what's happened, you can't bypass that sort of check. It's less like hacking a PS3 to ignore a check on whether the disc in the drive is protected, and more like telling PSN that you have the right to download a game that you haven't bought - no hack is going to allow that.

I can think of a handful of ways to automatically detect some of the hacks described here, and a handful of ways to deal with them, just off the top of my head. The only reason they haven't put them in place already is a clearly inaccurate assumption that the system's protection is unassailable.

mclem

iapetus said:
I can think of a handful of ways to automatically detect some of the hacks described here, and a handful of ways to deal with them, just off the top of my head. The only reason they haven't put them in place already is a clearly inaccurate assumption that the system's protection is unassailable.

I'd also add that it's a multi-platform game, and one of those platforms is one that's *inherently* open already; they're writing a game to run on both the 'unassailable' PS3 and the 'come in, make yourself comfortable, have a cuppa' PC. Did they not care about security on other platforms? High-level checks would, after all, be platform independent.

sangreal

Sony today filed another motion to seal exhibits they mistakenly filed. In this case the instructions for hacking the Wii, including the keys. iPhone as well, I believe

On January 11, 2011, SCEA filed an Administrative Motion to File Under Seal
Exhibits D, G, U, V, W, Y, and CC to the Declaration of Ryan Bricker In Support of Ex Parte
Motion for Temporary Restraining Order and Order to Show Cause; Order of Impoundment
(“Bricker Declaration”). Exhibits T and X to the Bricker Declaration were inadvertently omitted
from that filing, and the Court granted SCEA’s administrative motion to seal those documents
on January 18, 2011. Similar to the other documents that SCEA has lodged under seal,
Exhibits I, J, K, L, M, N, and O contain explicit instructions on how to circumvent technology
protection measures (“TPMs”) in gaming console and portable media device systems. These
exhibits should have been lodged under seal.

ari

Banned
so the gaming industry is going the route of the music industry?

hackers/torrents = napster

games = music records.

:(

Dai101

Banned
Why For? said:
Sony sues him, while Microsofts wants to give him a free WP7

lol. Pretty funny.

dcXTL.png

"Problem Sony?"

jcm

sangreal said:
Sony today filed another motion to seal exhibits they mistakenly filed. In this case the instructions for hacking the Wii, including the keys. iPhone as well, I believe

Any idea what the timeline is here Sangreal? Is there another hearing scheduled, or are we just waiting on the judge?

Dunlop

Mailenstein said:
Wow @ people running their mouth after she disappeared. Cheap cowards.

I have no idea what these references are too : (

At the rate the PS3 is now being opened looking at the custom firmware thread, Sony will have shitloads of ammo to work with

Jobiensis

Why For? said:
No idea, but I found that funny.

Doubt MS would have this attitude if he hacked their devices in such a way.

I don't know about that. I don't recall Microsoft going after Bunnie nearly like Sony is going after f0f or geohot. I don't recall Microsoft going after c4eva at all. The way Microsoft handled the Xbox would be a smarter blueprint for Sony to follow. Even if they win the lawsuit it isn't going to change anything.

Raistlin

sangreal said:
I have to wonder ... how awesome would it be if Nintendo and Apple sued Sony for publishing keys in public documents?

Raistlin

Why For? said:
No idea, but I found that funny.

Doubt MS would have this attitude if he hacked their devices in such a way.
I'm sure they wouldn't. The difference here is MS is being realistic about the current environment, and proactively looking for a solution that will work for most people.

As has been said about PS3, the push for hacking wasn't there until otherOS was removed. For WP7, it sounds like they're trying to find a viable homebrew solution that doesn't involve piracy.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Thread title should be updated to

"Sony sues George 'geohot' Hotz and fail0verflow over PS3 jailbreak, geogot doesn't give a single ****, jailbreaks WP7"

Raistlin said:
I'm sure they wouldn't. The difference here is MS is being realistic about the current environment, and proactively looking for a solution that will work for most people.

As has been said about PS3, the push for hacking wasn't there until otherOS was removed. For WP7, it sounds like they're trying to find a viable homebrew solution that doesn't involve piracy.

For WP7 homebrew already exists. You can just develop for it using VS2010 ;)

Cheerilee

sangreal said:
Aha! I get it. Sony is clever.

If the judge seals the Wii keys, then Sony can say they have an established precedent that secret keys are illegal and Sony wins.

If the judge doesn't seal the Wii keys, then Sony drags Nintendo down to hell with them.

I'm pretty sure you need to be baked to get this good at law.

jcm said:
I would say the odds of Sony adding a DRM that doesn't allow people to play video games without an internet connection are zero.

Not just for new owners, but old ones. For those that don't have an internet connection at home and take their PS3 to a friends house - who has a net connection - and just so happens to update the firmware, then take it back home..well. You wouldn't be able to rent games/Blu-rays, or purchase them second hand as well.

If there were going to try to approach this from a software point of view, then it would have to be something as extreme as this. No?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The number of people attempting to draw a parallel between jail-breaking a phone and a game console... so sad.

Raistlin

Regarding that DRM rumor ... lol

As has been said, what about people with no internet connection? Secondly, even if some sort of DRM solution for games was created, it makes zero sense to include BD movies into it.

The issue with BD movie piracy has nothing to do with PS3. If the BDA wanted to combat it, they'd need a solution that works with all BD players.

ruby_onix said:
Aha! I get it. Sony is clever.

If the judge seals the Wii keys, then Sony can say they have an established precedent that secret keys are illegal and Sony wins.

If the judge doesn't seal the Wii keys, then Sony drags Nintendo down to hell with them.

I'm pretty sure you need to be baked to get this good at law.

hahaha

Until I got to that last sentence I was thinking to myself ... dude, just how high are you?

WaltJay

Raistlin said:
Regarding that DRM rumor ... lol

As has been said, what about people with no internet connection?

Each new copy of the game will include a password wheel just like we used in the good ol' days.

R.I.P. Earl Weaver!

jcm

Billychu said:
Because one is hardware you own and the other is...wait. How are they different?

In the US, one has a DMCA exception, and the other doesn't. It's crazy that the Librarian of Congress (who?) gets to make the law treat them differently, but that's the way it is.

Emitan

jcm said:
In the US, one has a DMCA exception, and the other doesn't. It's crazy that the Librarian of Congress (who?) gets to make the law treat them differently, but that's the way it is.
I'm aware of that. When I'm talking about this stuff I'm talking about the intent of the law, not the law itself. DMCA is a freaking nightmare to understand.

WaltJay said:
Each new copy of the game will include a password wheel just like we used in the good ol' days.

R.I.P. Earl Weaver!

Those password wheels were hard core. I chucked my mountain of PC game boxes full of password wheels and clever manual text decoders from the 80's and early 90's long ago... and I've regretted it since. :p

captmcblack said:
This would literally be the end of the PS3 as a competitive device in this industry.
It would instantly be over when word gets out that you have to "activate" your games on PS3 - meaning no used games, no swapping games with your friends, etc on PS3 - but you wouldn't have to on other devices.

Shit would be over.
I agree. Sony wouldn't do it, but they're pretty stupid to begin with anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom