• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sues George 'geohot' Hotz and fail0verflow over PS3 jailbreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Metalmurphy said:
Stop freaking mentioning the iPhone. This isn't an iPhone. It was already said that because of this shit people will have read/write access to the memory on the fly. Do you have ANY idea how much of a cluster fuck online gaming will be once someone releases an app like CWcheat?

This wouldn't be a problem if they actually developed proper anti-cheat methods. You rarely see cheaters in Team Fortress 2 (PC) because the combination of VAC and Dedicated Server admins rids of them quickly.

linkboy

Marrshu said:
This wouldn't be a problem if they actually developed proper anti-cheat methods. You rarely see cheaters in Team Fortress 2 (PC) because the combination of VAC and Dedicated Server admins rids of them quickly.

But that's to much work for developers. Its much easier to just blame hackers.

Lince

Banned
linkboy said:
You're insuitating that the only reason people are installing CFW on their PS3 is to pirate games, that gets a ban on this board.

WHAT? that's a LIE !!! I never insinuated that and never will, I pointed out two users that blatantly use CFW for piracy, nothing more. I can't believe you're so blood thirsty to get me banned over my personal opinion on Geohot. Can't we discuss opinions here on GAF anymore without asking for unfair bans left and right? Would you please carry on with the thread ? I thought derailing a thread to personally attack/insult/asking to ban some user for expressing an opinion wasn't common practice here, but I'm starting to realize it indeed is when it comes to CFW/homebrew and someone is against the piracy it leads to. You people are way too sensitive and read too much into things. I never said that about CFW users, calm down. I have an opinion on Geohot and his friends, you have a different one which I respect but don't share, carry on with the thread topic please.

Dani said:
You hope this guy gets anally raped? Nice.

I hope he gets in jail or ends paying a huge fine, I don't hold any particular interest in his ass. It's just an expression when you want someone to be punished hard, nothing more.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Marrshu said:

Yeah I hear this argument all of the time from console people. I'm like uhhh I play on the PC which lets you do all kinds of crazy shit. That being said if I'm playing on officially run servers, and not some underground crazy server I really never see shit go down. Been playing TF2, SCII, Neotokyo etc... this week on PC and never once has hackers cheating even remotely crossed my mind.

Marrshu said:
They shouldn't have to, and dedicated server admins is something you can't have on what's mostly a p2p network...

And guess what? Loads of ppl still cheat on the PC.

Also this wouldn't be a problem if the PS3 hadn't been hacked and it's exploits revealed to the public in the first place.

linkboy said:
But that's to much work for developers. Its much easier to just blame hackers.
haha, so basically I can shit on your lawn and blame you for not having an electric fence right?

Sophia

Brettison said:
Yeah I hear this argument all of the time from console people. I'm like uhhh I play on the PC which lets you do all kinds of crazy shit. That being said if I'm playing on officially run servers, and not some underground crazy server I really never see shit go down. Been playing TF2, SCII, Neotokyo etc... this week on PC and never once has hackers cheating even remotely crossed my mind.

I regularly play at two well-moderated TF2 servers. Not once have I seen a cheater. If they were there, it was so subtle to the point of not having an impact on gameplay.

It's similar with other PC games too, really. As long as the server has good staff, you largely don't have to worry about it.

Metalmurphy said:
They shouldn't have to, and dedicated server admins is something you can't have on what's mostly a p2p network...

And guess what? Loads of ppl still cheat on the PC.

Also this wouldn't be a problem if the PS3 hadn't been hacked and it's exploits revealed to the public in the first place.

Um, yes, they do. If they want to maintain the longevity of the game, that is. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all have a vested interest to help them, of course.

And yes, loads of people still cheat on the PC. But if you encounter a cheater on say... Xbox Live, all you can do is mark him and hope the game ends quickly. On Team Fortress 2, they get booted, banned from the server, and ideally later banned by VAC.

Either way, in regards to the topic title, the point is moot; The hackers and cheaters have been there long before the hacking came along, and they'll be there even if Sony somehow pulled a miracle of god and stopped homebrew. Suing Geohot into oblivion won't help them, or help the gamers.

linkboy

Lince said:
WHAT? that's a LIE !!! I never insinuated that and never will, I pointed out two users that blatantly use CFW for piracy, nothing more. I can't believe you're so blood thirsty to get me banned over my personal opinion on Geohot. Can't we discuss opinions here on GAF anymore without asking for unfair bans left and right? Would you please carry on with the thread ? I thought derailing a thread to personally attack/insult/asking to ban a user for expressing an opinion wasn't common practice here, but I'm starting to realize it indeed is when it comes to CFW/homebrew and someone is against the piracy it leads to. You people are way too sensitive and read too much into things. I never said that about CFW users, calm down. I have an opinion on Geohot and his friends, you have a different one which I respect but don't share, carry on with the thread topic please.

Putting "backups" (lol) is insinuating just that, you may not think so, but it is (if Dragona was still here, she would have given you a warning for that).

Look, I'm not trying to get you banned, but that post really did insinuate that anyone who uses CFW is a pirate.

linkboy

Metalmurphy said:
haha, so basically I can shit on your lawn and blame you for not having an electric fence right?

Why not, it worked for Infinity Ward, their game has been hacked since it came out, but they blamed Sony and people bought it.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Lince said:
no, you're seeing what you want to see, that comment was aimed to those users blatantly making clear they were using CFW for piracy, not for all CFW users, stop trying to get me banned or something with the rhetoric bs. I understand you're butt-hurt but please, leave it at that.

Wow, you really are in a rage over this. I'm not the slightest upset as I fully understand using CFW should mean you will have no access to PSN. Guess what, my CFW still works perfectly fine, nothing to be angry over here. If I want on PSN, I just need to go to the other PS3 I have. No reason to be upset here at all. I'll leave you be on your rampage though as it's quite clear what you're doing.

Metalmurphy, the similarities with the iPhone DO exist. Each jailbreak can lead to bad/illegal things. Each can lead to what is well within your consumer rights. Blame the person doing what they shouldn't with each, not the process.

Sophia

Metalmurphy said:
No, they really didn't.

The press did, and a few people around here and at various sites did as well. Granted, it's by no means the majority, but it's a dangerous thing to say.

linkboy

Metalmurphy said:
No, they really didn't.

The people who knew better didn't buy the excuse, but the story keeps popping up on other message boards by people who don't know better.

Anyways, getting back to Geohot's case.

I think the DMCA was the big stickler in this. That stupid law has given corporations way to much power.

Sophia

linkboy said:
I think the DMCA was the big stickler in this. That stupid law has given corporations way to much power.

I'm pretty vocal against the DMCA myself. Granted, I don't believe a corporation (which is merely an "entity") should be held to the same rights and/or level of freedom that an individual has anyhow.

Lince

Banned
linkboy said:
Putting "backups" (lol) is insinuating just that, you may not think so, but it is (if Dragona was still here, she would have given you a warning for that).

Look, I'm not trying to get you banned, but that post really did insinuate that anyone who uses CFW is a pirate.

No it didn't and you know it, now you're even mentioning Mods' names... desperately trying to get me banned over an opinion on Geohot and his friends' actions leading to piracy and online cheating. Look, if I find someone here saying "with CFW the downside is that I have to wait to download the latest games" and then he calls them backups... isn't that lol-worthy? well let's remove the "lol" if you want, but those are no backups, those are pirated copies and not "backups", hence the use of quotes is valid, isn't it? I say carry on with the topic, stop wasting time trying to put false words in my mouth.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Lince said:
No it didn't and you know it, now you're even mentioning Mods' names... desperately trying to get me banned over an opinion on Geohot and his friends' actions leading to piracy and online cheating. Look, if I find someone here saying "with CFW the downside is that I have to wait to download my games" and then he calls them backups... isn't that lol-worthy? well let's remove the "lol" if you want, but those are no backups, those are pirated copies and not "backups", hence the use of quotes is valid, isn't it? I say carry on with the topic, stop wasting time trying to put false words in my mouth.

Dude, seriously. Calm down, just a little.

linkboy

Lince said:
No it didn't and you know it, now you're even mentioning Mods' names... desperately trying to get me banned over an opinion on Geohot and his friends' actions leading to piracy and online cheating. Look, if I find someone here saying "with CFW the downside is that I have to wait to download the latest games" and then he calls them backups... isn't that lol-worthy? well let's remove the "lol" if you want, but those are no backups, those are pirated copies and not "backups", hence the use of quotes is valid, isn't it? I say carry on with the topic, stop wasting time trying to put false words in my mouth.

Look at it this way.

You come into this thread, type that post, didn't quote anybody. Where in this thread did anyone say that "with CFW the downside is that I have to wait do download the latest games".

Why do you think I took it that way. To me, it looks like you are accusing anyone who put a CFW on their PS3 to be a pirate. That's why I said Dragona would have given you a warning. You didn't clarify who you were targeting.

I'm not trying to get you banned, I'm trying to tell you why I took that post the way I did. If I did want to get you banned, I would have gone and complained to a mod (I didn't).

mclem

Metalmurphy said:

In the case of Call of Duty, it's a game that's also being released on PC and 360, both of which were more open to cheaters (prior to all this) than the PS3 was. For *those* platforms, they should have written anti-cheat code, which could then have trivially been ported to the PS3.

Kintaco

Lince said:
WHAT? that's a LIE !!! I never insinuated that and never will, I pointed out two users that blatantly use CFW for piracy, nothing more. I can't believe you're so blood thirsty to get me banned over my personal opinion on Geohot. Can't we discuss opinions here on GAF anymore without asking for unfair bans left and right? Would you please carry on with the thread ? I thought derailing a thread to personally attack/insult/asking to ban some user for expressing an opinion wasn't common practice here, but I'm starting to realize it indeed is when it comes to CFW/homebrew and someone is against the piracy it leads to. You people are way too sensitive and read too much into things. I never said that about CFW users, calm down. I have an opinion on Geohot and his friends, you have a different one which I respect but don't share, carry on with the thread topic please.

I like how he's "blood thirsty" because is trying to get you unfairly banned. Yet you wish anal rape on Geohot.

I hope that stupid Geohot gets ass-raped in jail with all his friends
That is not a figure of speech as you claim, you are definitely referring to the fact the anal rape is very common in prison. To wish that on someone over a PS3 is a lot more blood thirsty than wanting someone to be banned.

I can't see Linux mentioned once in the "homebrew" thread here or anywhere else in the Internet, the exploits only brought "backups" (lol) and emulators talk. I didn't know so many people with arcade boards at home, I mean they're really expensive and the method/device used to dump the roms is not common place at all..
The hack was originally used to get Linux (AsbestOS) running on the PS3, the videos of their work have been on all over the internet. Obviously they probably won't show any more progress with this lawsuit against them as well. And the way you put quotes on the words "homebrew" and "backups" isn't insinuating anything, of course not.

Lince said:

2 people downloading games = entire community?

Ploid 3.0

Just ignore it Lince. Right now they seem to be getting you deeper in a hole, in which you could say something wrong enough to be banned. Then they can laugh.

Dambrosi

Banned
Lince said:
No, he's not trying to get you banned. If he were, though, it would be because you basically accused myself and another GAFfer of being thieves without any proof.

Notwithstanding that piracy isn't theft (it's copyright infringement, a civil, not criminal, matter, at least in terms of downloading), you forget that you have no real hard evidence of any wrongdoing on our parts. That's what makes your words bannable (not to mention the word "butthurt", which I believe is a banned meme, which can also get you into trouble around here), not just the principle that members of this forum should respect other members and not wildly libel them just because they're having a temper tantrum.

The TOS specifically states that discussion of CFW, emulation and the likes (except for instruction in illegal acts) is allowed on GAF. There's also an unwritten rule that states that equating such things with piracy will get you banned. So just put the 'roids away and calm down, kid.

Or, exactly what Ploid 3.0 says.

Lince

Banned
Kintaco said:
That is not a figure of speech as you claim, you are definitely referring to the fact the anal rape is very common in prison. To wish that on someone over a PS3 is a lot more blood thirsty than wanting someone to be banned.

it is where I live, get ass-raped in jail = punished hard (by the law). And not over a PS3, but over the gaming industry jobs at stake here, not to mention the rampant online cheating which will affect everyone.

meh, ban me already, you guys win. Of course all of you CFW guys are filthy drunk pirates and I came here just to say that with a bunch of "lols" while wishing anal raping to everyone , obviously my opinion against Geohot and piracy cannot be discussed or refuted normally, it must be destroyed. So be it.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Lince said:
it is where I live, get ass-raped in jail = punished hard (by the law). And not over a PS3, but over the gaming industry jobs at stake here, not to mention the rampant online cheating which will affect everyone.

meh, ban me already, you guys win. Of course all of you CFW guys are filthy drunk pirates and I came here just to say that with a bunch of "lols" while wishing anal raping to everyone , obviously my opinion against Geohot and piracy cannot be discussed or refuted normally, it must be destroyed. So be it.

All that rage, ass rape wishing and cussing doesn't help to get your point across.

Dambrosi

Banned
Lince said:

Eh. I'd allow this because it's clearly sarcasm, in this case. :p

Lince said:
the rampant online cheating which will affect everyone

Has this actually happened outside of COD?

COD being a game that was released with - from all available evidence - full developer cheatmode enabled by default in online games, and insecure client based stat trackins without any serverside checks.

Lince said:
I hope that stupid Geohot gets ass-raped in jail

You say you want him to be sexually violated because he has leaked some numbers onto the internet.

Its not a debate or discussion anymore when one finds themselves saying things like that.

Sophia

MrNyarlathotep said:
Has this actually happened outside of COD?

COD being a game that was released with - from all available evidence - full developer cheatmode enabled by default in online games, and insecure client based stat trackins without any serverside checks.

Seen a few glitchers in Uncharted 2, but those were there before.

linkboy

Lince said:

I don't want to get you banned, if I did (like I said before), I would have gone straight to a mod.

If you wanted to talk about Geohot and piracy, then you totally went the wrong way to do it.

What you did

I hope that stupid Geohot gets ass-raped in jail with all his friends, I can't see Linux mentioned once in the "homebrew" thread here or anywhere else in the Internet, the exploits only brought "backups" (lol) and emulators talk. I didn't know so many people with arcade boards at home, I mean they're really expensive and the method/device used to dump the roms is not common place at all...

What you should have did

I hope Geohot loses this case, to many people are using his hack to download and pirate PS3 games. His actions have not only comprised the PS3, but will impact people's jobs. Not only that, but they will ruin a lot of on-line games.

Tell me, which one sounds more like its going to get your point across.

Cruzader

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
You say you want him to be sexually violated because he has leaked some numbers onto the internet.

Its not a debate or discussion anymore when one finds themselves saying things like that.
Not joining what Lince is debating but the "its just numbers and its ok" its a bunch of bullshit.

Not gonna state why as its pretty obvious.

Lince

Banned
Dambrosi said:
No, he's not trying to get you banned. If he were, though, it would be because you basically accused myself and another GAFfer of being thieves without any proof..

oh please, so you cannot afford a new $299 PS3 since 3.56 hit but you happen to have multiple arcade boards laying around worth $ thousands, what are the chances. Show me evidence that you own the aforementioned arcade boards and the legal method/device to dump their ROMs and I'll myself delete my GAF account.

and this other guy waiting to download the latest PSP games... well, no need to comment. I like the fact that GAF allows homebrew talk but come on, posts like those are too much. I've friends that have lost their jobs due to piracy, I admit I am "butt-hurt" myself and I hate Geohot and his friends for their actions.

I hope justice is served and they pay for what they're doing. I'm not defending Sony (they have committed their fair share of unforgivable mistakes), I'm just accusing Geohot & co. Just my opinion, didn't expect that to get so much attention.

2 people downloading games = entire community?

here we go again, who said that? I can't find that comment anywhere, I didn't, no sir, this is getting insane.

The Faceless Master said:
why is Lince so homophobic? i thought Europeans were more tolerant...

ok, enough is enough. Listen I have homosexual friends so stop right there ok? it's not even funny.

linkboy said:
What you did

I hope that stupid Geohot gets ass-raped in jail with all his friends, I can't see Linux mentioned once in the "homebrew" thread here or anywhere else in the Internet, the exploits only brought "backups" (lol) and emulators talk. I didn't know so many people with arcade boards at home, I mean they're really expensive and the method/device used to dump the roms is not common place at all...

What you should have did

I hope Geohot loses this case, to many people are using his hack to download and pirate PS3 games. His actions have not only comprised the PS3, but will impact people's jobs. Not only that, but they will ruin a lot of on-line games.

Tell me, which one sounds more like its going to get your point across.

so it seems you understood my post and thoughts rather well, of course I could have worded it differently but I didn't, so why the need for the attacks and ban calls in the first place ?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Lince said:
and this other guy waiting to download the latest PSP games... well, no need to comment. I like the fact that GAF allows homebrew talk but come on, posts like those are too much. I've friends that have lost their jobs due to piracy, I admit I am "butt-hurt" myself and I hate Geohot and his friends for their actions.

Well, I also stopped buying UMDs and download my PSP games.

Mama Robotnik said:

No, Lince is not saying sexually violated. He's only talking about inserting objects onto holes. There is no crime related in inserting objects onto holes.

Sophia

Lince said:
oh please, so you cannot afford a new $299 PS3 since 3.56 hit but you happen to have multiple arcade boards laying around worth $ thousands, what are the chances. Show me evidence that you own the aforementioned arcade boards and the legal method/device to dump their ROMs and I'll myself delete my GAF account.

You're not winning any friends with comments like this. :\

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
DangerousDave said:
No, Lince is not saying sexually violated. He's only talking about inserting objects onto holes. There is no crime related in inserting objects onto holes.

ass-raped
i6Dedl.jpg

Lince, how do you know the person you are referring to wasn't talking about downloading his PSP games from the PSN? Where it does take weeks if not longer for them to show up after the initial retail release. Oh wait, you don't know that. You're just making assumptions and labeling someone as a pirate that you have on evidence of. Congrats.

kamorra said:
ass-raped

Yeah, well, if the fact that the numbers leaked on the web are part of an encryption system is anecdotal, the fact that the hole that Lince is talking is sited in the ass is also only anecdotal.

And no, I don't want anyone being ass-raped, but that "there are only numbers" is a very weak argument. Is like getting cauched watching porn and then answering "it's only a bunch of pixels, honey, don't get mad"

Edit: BTW, no, the pixel thing won't work as an excuse.

Dambrosi

Banned
Lince said:

I hope justice is served and they pay for what they're doing. I'm not defending Sony (they have committed their fair share of unforgivable mistakes), I'm just accusing Geohot & co. Just my opinion, didn't expect that to get so much attention.
Regarding the bolded; maybe you should, since I don't remember saying anything about playing illegally obtained ROMs at all, not even in reference to Final Burn, which is what I did mention - and which seems to have been the red rag to your bull.

Like I said, prove it. You made the accusation, so the burden of proof is on you. NeoGAF isn't as corrupt as the US legal system just yet, thankfully.

Lince said:
ok, enough is enough. Listen I have homosexual friends so stop right there ok? it's not even funny.
Oh hark at you, with the "some of my best friends are _____" defense.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
DangerousDave said:
Yeah, well, if the fact that the numbers leaked on the web are part of an encryption system is anecdotal, the fact that the hole that Lince is talking is sited in the ass is also only anecdotal.

Maybe that would work if we had this discussion and he was replying to that. But yeah, he wasn't.

Metalmurphy said:
Well, I agree the ass raping comment was a "bit" out of line, but you guys are looking almost as big as jerks right now tbh.

I agree that people need to lay off the homosexual angle. Nobody knows how he feels and it doesn't belong in this thread anyhow. The 'I have friends' statement is whatever. The issue is him labeling someone a pirate that he doesn't have evidence of.

LovingSteam said:
I agree that people need to lay off the homosexual angle. Nobody knows how he feels and it doesn't belong in this thread anyhow. The 'I have friends' statement is whatever. The issue is him labeling someone a pirate that he doesn't have evidence of.

Yes, I think Lince is forcing too much the situation (and probably he'll get banned for this) labeling people as piracy (or trying to get them in a contradiction).

But, on the other side, that thing of "GeoHot is innocent, he only posted some numbers in the web", like if anyone here could go to prison for writing some random numbers on the web it's not a valid argument, and it's even annoying that kind of manipulation.

What Geohot did is not very different to make a crack for a game, but for a whole system.

You can get an exe of a PC game that you own, find how to crack it, and post some numbers on the web that, writed in the original exe of the game with an hex editor, break the protections. You can argue that you're not promoting piracy, and that this help people that purchased legally the game to play it without putting it in the disc tray. But this, in my country, is a crime by our penal laws. Even if it's only putting numbers on the web that you got from reverse-engineering a exe file that you own.

I don't know about US laws and if what GeoHot did is a crime in US. But we're not talking of some kind of speech freedom or going to prison for writing numbers on the web. GeoHot, instead of creating a linux build that work in any PS3 decided to leak an information to allow breaking a software and hardware protection. And is acused for this, not because he wrote numbers on the web.

Canova

Banned
N.A said:
Temporary Restraining Order Issued in Sony vs. Geohot

The judge has granted Sony's request for a TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) in the case against Geohot (George Hotz) and the other named defendants. It has also been ruled that Sony has shown sufficient cause to keep the case in San Francisco.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/temporary-restraining-order-issued-sony-vs-geohot-78810/

Gotta love the American legal system & the DMCA :'(

Nice. Good job.

I hope Sony win this case and he has to pay the massive Sony's lawyers bill and some more. Serves him right. Maybe that'll force him to get a job or put his brain for something more productive than just hacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom