• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to pay record bonuses in FY2021 (Sony expected to net 10B profit)

bitbydeath

Sony employees be eating.
Sony says it will pay its employees record-high bonuses, even higher than what their union asked for. The compensation from the Japanese electronics giant is equivalent of seven months' salary.
The union demanded a bonus equivalent to 6.9 months of basic salary in this spring's negotiations.

It's unusual for management to set an amount higher than such a request.

This is the first time in two decades for Sony to show such generosity.
The bonus hike is in line with the company's earnings.
Sony is expected to report a record consolidated net profit of about 10 billion dollars for the year ending this month.

Mmnow

Just for context, bonusses in Japan work a bit differently. They are not merit based. You get them twice a year and they are considered part of your salary. As a result your monthly paycheck is lower then it would be without the bonus system.
How are they bonuses then? Are there situations where you don't get them? Or is it for tax purposes or something like that?

Sorry - questions. This is just really interesting.

Last edited:

yurinka

Well, it's normal to have bonuses in the big companies related to how it performs. But 7 months of salary is something crazy. Well, and 10B profits too.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
sony be like

SlushyVigilantBobolink-max-1mb.gif

Let's lay off the infantile and low effort console wars bait.
Why would Nintendo fanboys care?
raw

Last edited:

henau212

Neo Member
Refreshing in this day and age, especially considering Activision recent issues. Do Apple or Google do this?
Get real, this is not comparable to salaries in the US. Big parts of the salaries in Japan are bonus based. This figure is Japan only...

Keihart

It says right in the OP that this is the "union's negotiation" bonus, meaning that this is something done periodically ( yearly or every 3 years or whatever) between the company and the union as a sign of being in good terms and renegotiations of worker's benefits. I have those too in my job but i get at best 4 months pay (which i think it's pretty good)

Edit: Wikipedia entry on what i think the OP refers to Collective bargaining

Last edited:

henau212

Neo Member
Who says the union is only for Japanese people?
Because the unions are under japanese law. Same for example in Germany or France. They are way stronger than in the US and are negotiating the salaries and bonuses for workers under the union agreement employed in that Country...
Not saying those Numbers are bad. They are really good. But simply not comparable..

bitbydeath

Because the unions are under japanese law. Same for example in Germany or France. They are way stronger than in the US and are negotiating the salaries and bonuses for workers under the union agreement employed in that Country...
Not saying those Numbers are bad. They are really good. But simply not comparable..
The article doesn’t state Japanese unions.
Seems like a stretch.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
because a competing console/game developer is giving bonus to its employees , and nintendo employees have a right to ask for the same , because everyone likes a raise

Same ol G

because a competing console/game developer is giving bonus to its employees , and nintendo employees have a right to ask for the same , because everyone likes a raise
Ok fair enough but there are some details missing.
First we don't know what Nintendo employees earn they have every right to ask for the same but maybe their salary is already fair we don't know.
Second as i said before Sony is not just Playstation it's just a division in the company this news is about Sony as a whole.
And just for the record i'm glad they're getting more money it's always nice if a boss treats you good and you get a share of the profits good job by Sony for that part.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Ok fair enough but there are some details missing.
First we don't know what Nintendo employees earn they have every right to ask for the same but maybe their salary is already fair we don't know.
Second as i said before Sony is not just Playstation it's just a division in the company this news is about Sony as a whole.
And just for the record i'm glad they're getting more money it's always nice if a boss treats you good and you get a share of the profits good job by Sony for that part.
agreed , but nintendo is far more successful when it comes to profit

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Oh yeah well Nintendo has $14 billion in the bank. They could go 15 years without selling a single system or game and they would still be in business.

And Microsoft has given us GAMERS the bonus of Gamepass.

So I really don’t see why I’m supposed to care about some Sony employees getting a big paycheck.

(am I doing this right, GAF?)

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oh yeah well Nintendo has $14 billion in the bank. They could go 15 years without selling a single system or game and they would still be in business.

And Microsoft has given us GAMERS the bonus of Gamepass.

So I really don’t see why I’m supposed to care about some Sony employees getting a big paycheck.

(am I doing this right, GAF?)

What does matter how much money Nintendo has in the bank? Lmao

Sony has 45B cash on hand which is throwing some away for their people.

Top Bottom