• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to ready to buy take two (if you believe a recent report)

Fox Mulder

Funny GIF

Sony can’t buy Take Two. Like 14 billion would be pretty hard to pull off.

Even if Take Two was down for a sale, a giant company like Amazon, Apple, or Google might as well swoop in and offer shareholders way more money for the inevitable future that’s coming.

Last edited:

Loxus

As much as I agree with u call of duty is probably Sony's biggest income and if Sony says if it's true that the money they get to invest in small studios etc and having to lose call of duty then personally if I was Sony I would go for the next best thing and that is take two. Once that cod goes Sony won't be making money
The fact that this isn't the first time Sony acquiring Take-Two came up make me believe it may be the other way around.

In 2019 it was heavily rumored Sony was in the talks of acquiring Take-Two. I can see that process happening behind closed doors and could be the main reason Microsoft is trying to get Sony to produce Business deals documents.

Sony may not want to reveal any as Microsoft could use that as fuel, while on the other hand Sony doesn't want to lose the revenue COD generates for them.

This is just my speculation base on what you said though.

Last edited:

Kdad

Funny GIF

Sony can’t buy Take Two. Like 14 billion would be pretty hard to pull off.

Even if Take Two was down for a sale, a giant company like Amazon, Apple, or Google might as well swoop in and offer shareholders way more money for the inevitable future that’s coming.
Tencent likes to take 40% to stay out of the limelight....That brings it down to 9.4 billion for Sony....
Still aint happening.

Gojiira

Banned
This is exactly what I expect to happen, after MS blows 60 Billion+, There wont be any ground for blocking Sony spending 5/10/15 Billion or whatever on more strategic purchases. I just dont think it will necessarily be Take Two.

This is exactly what I expect to happen, after MS blows 60 Billion+, There wont be any ground for blocking Sony spending 5/10/15 Billion or whatever on more strategic purchases. I just dont think it will necessarily be Take Two.
You've been saying this since Microsoft Zenimax acquisition. That was like 3 years ago.

We're still waiting...?

3x53m7.jpg

Last edited:
No chance. Sony would need to spend tens of billions. It would be about the same as what MS is having to spend for Acti/Blizz

Sony is not a poor company by any means but they don't have the same financial power as Microsoft. I'm not sure if Sony would let the PlayStation division spend that kind of money and if they did they'd be stupid to.

The difference between MS and Sony here is that $60-70 billion is pocket change for MS that they'd not miss and for Sony it is years worth of income.

Sony's best hope is that they can convince TakeTwo to sell Rockstar, and maybe get them for about $30-40 billion, and then convince governments and countries that owning Rockstar games would be fair and not anti competitive. GTA is one of the biggest games in the world and there is no way that Sony would ever be allowed to make it a PS exclusive. They'd have to let it stay multi platform and then offer a deal on for PS users....you know just like GamePass.

Not happening.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I read the original tweet and it sounded more like speculation. Anything is possible, but I'm not putting much stock in this. Take two is on the verge of huge pay days from the release of GTA 6. Now is not the time to sell.

Edit: lol OP was so hyped to make this thread he/she misspelled one of the seven words on the title while also forgetting to preface it as a rumor.

Last edited:

Rykan

No chance. Sony would need to spend tens of billions. It would be about the same as what MS is having to spend for Acti/Blizz
It's not going to be even remotely the same. Activision/Blizzard is way more valuable than Take Two is, even with Rockstar included. Rockstar does not sell 25 ~ 30m copies on a yearly basis like CoD does. AB also comes with Blizzard games and KING.

All of that combined is worth way, way more than Take Two.

Last edited:
Obviously not a credible rumor or source, but I've always thought T2 made the most sense for Sony. particularly but not limited to as a response to Microsoft buying ABK.

One it gives you leverage to maintain COD availability on PlayStation and real parity.

Second, PlayStation Studios could help take GTA and Red Dead to the next level when it comes to gameplay and PlayStation Productions could take it to the next level when it comes to transmedia.

Now you look into sports and cross-marketing with the NBA, MLB, PGA Tour, and you look at the availability of FIFA and cornering that market for the future. Maybe partner PGA Tour with Clap Hanz, which could only be an improvement given the poor marks on the game. Eventually, get back into Hockey, football, and Cricket. Maybe even roll Polyphony Digital into 2K Sports and bring back Nascar, F1, and WRC.
We haven't even discussed zynga for mobile and the ability to launch GTA6 and RDR3 on PC exclusively via a PS launcher giving them an opening into the PC market.

I think it would absolutely be worth the money.

L*][*N*K

Banned
If this deal goes through I imagine even GTA V getting pulled on every other platform except for PC, this is Sony we are talking about they are not here to play fair or “good for the industry”, they created this whole exclusivity competition

If this deal goes through I imagine even GTA V getting pulled on every other platform except for PC, this is Sony we are talking about they are not here to play fair or “good for the industry”, they created this whole exclusivity competition

I mean even with behavioral remedies of 10 years, you're looking at GTA6 but not GTA7. Red Dead 3 but not Red Dead 4.

With MLB already being on Xbox and Switch, I can't see why 2K Sports wouldn't continue to be multiplatform.

yurinka

100% bullshit. Sony doesn't have the budget or interest to acquire them.

Sony didn’t want MLB to go Multiplatform though, they were force to it
If Sony is still developing because it was ok for them to make it multi. Sony could have simply not have renewed with MLB and stop working on this series and move San Diego to do something else. Nobody forced them to continue working on MLB.

Nah, GTA is bigger than COD. 150 million copies sold.

Who isn't buying a PS5? 150m is basically all the gamers in the world.

Source: trust me bro
No, GTA V was released 10 years ago. In these years CoD released many games, a game per year selling each one 20-30M+ copies plus their addons (IAP/DLC/season passes etc) and on top of that there's Warzone and the mobile game.

CoD makes over twice the money than GTAV. And GTAV is a unicorn, its sales have nothing to do with even the sales of the other GTA games. Pretty likely GTA6 won't match even the half of its sales.

Last edited:

Rac3r

Also, Wasnt the deal trajectory headed to be blocked ( or at least that's what some people here think ). did something happen recently?

Sorry not keeping track of everything

Reuters put out a story suggesting that the EU is likely to approve the deal with behavioral remedies. Activision stock was up significantly after the report was published.

Deal is still up in the air though. The CMA is, and always was, the major hurdle.

Maybe before the PS3 era it would happened, but since that era SONY has a ton of historic debt and just can't afford it, unlike NCL or Microsoft how not only make billions but have more money in the bank than most countries and no debt

Mind you I'm still wating for Nintendo to buy Capcom its only been 20 years wating for approval #Megaton

Fredrik

Lol this will never happen and the setup in the article is hilarious when he says Sony might do it out of fear that Microsoft might go after Take-Two next after they’ve acquired Activision Blizzard 🤣
There will be no more big acquisitions by MS if they acquire Activision Blizzard. They’ll have their hands cuffed behind their backs after that.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Regulators would force GTA and RDR to remain multi-platform in any purchase scenario.

Only party that can acquire the likes of T2 without getting into the same song and dance with the regulators is Tencent and Netease.

Just remember that no insider saw the Bungie, Bethesda & ABK acquisitions coming…

Random internet journalists aren’t privy to discussions at that level. These insiders won’t know anything.

Top Bottom