• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to start manufacturing PS5 physical games in Brazil that will be distributed nationally and exported to all LATAM countries

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Weird, they were already capable of doing 66GB media, they are just upgrading to 100GB media. Does PS5 requires you to use 100GB media in your physical disc?

Any chance that will help bring cost down?
Brazil has huge import tariffs on consoles. Producing something domestically may be a way to lower the tarriffs, at least on games.

I remember reading that a PS4 was something like $1850 at launch in Brazil with taxes making up over 60% of the price.

Weird, they were already capable of doing 66GB media, they are just upgrading to 100GB media. Does PS5 requires you to use 100GB media in your physical disc?
Nothing weird about it. There's multiple 1st party and 3rd party games that come on 100GB triple-layer BDs (e.g. FF16, FF7 Rebirth, Horizon Forbidden West, TLOU2:R, GoW:R, SM2, etc.) so presumably these will start to be printed locally in Brazil instead of being imported from manufacturing facilities outside the region.

Last edited:

mhirano

It makes a lot of sense because physicial media is huge here in Brazil.
Many people only can afford new games because of used games flipping on Facebook/OLX/MercadoLivre (no Gamestop here).
Xbox is a completely distinct situation, with Series S plus GamePass being the rule.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I know that the political climate is poor at the moment in Brazil, which scares manufacturers off, but if they could get their shit together, Brazil could be the China of the Americas.

Hopefully this helps bring down costs for our LATAM gamers.

WitchHunter

Banned
Brazil is the best place right now. Kidnappings, cool 15 minute bike chases around the favelas, steamings. Mmmm... That place lives. I wonder how many decades it needs until "they" hollow it out, like other countries. That's why the next GTA like game should use Brazil as a setting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom