• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony trademarks 'Sixaxis'; likely new controller name

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hardly major news by any stretch, but I guess it's interesting for anyone who's wondered what Sony might call the PS3's controller, officially.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153593

A 1UP user passed along the suggestion that we check the patent records for the name 'Sixaxis' and see what turned up. Scanning the trademark's text it's clear that this could be any number of things (see image above).

However, the term "six axis" has appeared frequently in Sony PR, including multiple times in the May 8, 2006 announcement of the controller's motion sensing functionality.

Nice to know what exactly to call it, I guess. Not official, but it seems more right than DS3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OatmealMu said:
Doesn't exactly roll off your tongue, does it?

It's very easy to say, I think. The palindrome-ness helps. I rather like it, and it's as descriptive as DualShock was.

OatmealMu

gofreak said:
It's very easy to say, I think. The palindrome-ness helps. I rather like it, and it's as descriptive as DualShock was.

Well, I disagree with you. And in accordance to NeoGAF Amendment 38, that makes you a doody head.

monkeymagic said:
More likely to be used in descriptive copy rather than in a name.

because you copyright te copy in an ad? no.

however companies patent a wide variety of names for things to leave themselves wiggle room.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
...and its all caps, no less. SIXAXIS for PLAYSTATION 3. To talk about the PS3, you must yell it, almost constantly.

Ceb

Methinks it'll be used as a marketing term, instead of "waggle", "tilt" or "motion sensors".

"Take control of the action with the Dual Shake, introducing revolutionary Sixaxis technology." :D

qcf x2

Who gets paid to come up with this stuff :(

You don't even need a degree to know that's a retarded name for a branded device.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
qcf x2 said:
Who gets paid to come up with this stuff :(

You don't even need a degree to know that's a retarded name for a branded device.

I think all one needs is the ability to mash keys blindly on a broken keyboard.

I was hoping for DS3, but DS now standing for Dual Sense (since it senses both movement and tilt).

Sixaxis seems interesting. It doesn't stand out as good or bad.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
sixaxishk2.jpg

I did that but don't tell anybody. Ssssshh... Let's see what happens :p

Mmmkay

I get the impression the term is what they will use to standardise the description of the motion sensing controls, rather than the controller itself.

dyls

krustyfq4.gif

"SEX CAULDRON?? I though they closed that place down!"

(I know it doesn't really fit, but it's such a great line.)

Top Bottom