• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony unveils world's first 3D head-mounted display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now this seems like a much better idea than a 3d display.
Much more immersive for games i think.
I wonder if it works better than a 3D display in terms of 3D.
And.. if it's comfortable.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, the Gizmodo guy seemed impressed, and I remember Gizmodo editors in general being hugely anti-3D in its current TV incarnation.

The picture is solid as well. Although tiny, the eye-sized display appears to be 150 inches. Because there are two distinct displays, one for each eye, there is no crosstalk, and of course, no need for active shutter glasses. They're rather awkward going on, but you quickly forget you're wearing them, or at least I did.

The thing the HMZ-T1 does well is melt away. It's lightweight at 14.8 oz. Adjustments at the nose bridge and temple let you adjust the width of the eye and ear pieces so you can get a perfect fit for your face. The over-ear speakers (and this is impossible to overstate) positively deposit you in sound. In fact, this entire thing is less immersive than it is enveloping. I felt like I was inside the game.

Lord Error said:
Yeah, the Gizmodo guy seemed impressed, and I remember Gizmodo editors in general being hugely anti-3D in its current TV incarnation.
well there's a big fucking difference here.

750" @ 65' away.

or 150" @ whatever distance.

150" makes a ton more sense, as I've seen 150" 720p projectors and they looked fine. But the press release in the OP clearly says 750" @ 65'.

this shit loks so ballin

imagine bitches coming into your house and youre sittin there like "oh i'll be there in a second i'm just chilling in aca pulco" INSANE

I like it, and am looking forward to trying it out. And while it probably doesn't have build-in gyroscopes for registering head movement, someone is bound to add some and come up with a cool VR application for this. $800 is quite 'cheap' compared to what the old HMDs cost, and this one at least has an acceptable resolution for each eye.

This combined with a PS3 and head-tracking would be hugely impressive for exploring virtual enviroments. Sony need to play this hand well, make it less cumbersome looking and package it with ps4.

Lord Error said:
no active shutters is very important imo. I hate that.
And it seems like a 150 to 175 inch screen. That's pretty immense :p.

I'd love to try these and play some games.

Kyzer said:
wowww the future is here! or this is a huge fail.
Considering the fact that the only thing new about this product is that it now does 3D, I'm gonna say it's probably going to fail. These devices have been around for 15-20 years in some capacity or another.

I don't think it will be a huge fail, as I don't think Sony would have put a ton of money into this. They're not stupid. Just another random-ass product Sony has. They're beginning to remind me of Sharper Image (the retail chain). Lots of niche tech stuff that everyone thinks is kinda cool but that nobody really plunks down a lot of money to buy.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dreams-Visions said:
well there's a big fucking difference here.

750" @ 65' away.

or 150" @ whatever distance.

150" makes a ton more sense, as I've seen 150" 720p projectors and they looked fine. But the press release in the OP clearly says 750" @ 65'.
All those numbers are difficult to visualize to me, but I'm really looking forward to trying this now that I've seen at least someone impressed by it.

Dreams-Visions said:
Considering the fact that the only thing new about this product is that it now does 3D, I'm gonna say it's probably going to fail. These devices have been around for 15-20 years in some capacity or another.
This is the first time honestly that I think the product of this kind will not suck. In fact I have a feeling it will finally deliver on the promise. Niche product, to be sure though. I kinda like that Sony has this line of stuff on top of their normal commercial products, TVs, Cameras. etc. I practically never cared for any of it, but hey for once they made something quirky that I might care for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom