• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony vs Microsoft: The First Party Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pistolero

I think that the advantage of Sony WWS doesn't rely on the number of studios, as it does on the synergy and cross-cultural affinities that have been forged over the years. Many MS studios are newly founded and have yet to make their mark. I wish them good luck (to all of the studios in both camps, actually).

ElNino

Nintendo > Sony >>>>>>>>>>>> MS

It's not even funny.
On paper (ie. list wars) this seems to be the case. However, I find as far as games I purchase it goes MS>Nintendo>>>Sony, for consoles at least. If I included Vita then it would probably go MS>Sony>Nintendo.

Duxxy3

This isn't even a discussion. Only Nintendo compares with Sony with first and second party development.

KAL2006

Banned
And hasn't been for a loooooong time. This is like asking, "Better sandwich spread: Nutella or dog shit?"

KAL2006 ought to get his ass banned for posting this again.

I don't want to get banned, so how do I lock a thread. I wanted to re submit the original thread with a better list and without a trollish title that I can keep updated. If it is not allowed how do I lock the thread.

Drek

Who will be more productive?

Sony Japan or Microsoft Osaka Studio? lol

SCEJ is a pretty massive studio who put out quite a few games, FYI. They do a lot of technical work for the system and have some noteworthy titles under their belt in the last few years, even with Team Ico lagging. Gravity Rush (with Project Siren, a separate SCEJ studio), Demon's Souls, and Soul Sacrifice all had SCEJ staff provide a large portion of the technical work on them.

Dinjooh

I don't want to get banned, so how do I lock a thread. I wanted to re submit the original thread with a better list and without a trollish title that I can keep updated. If it is not allowed how do I lock the thread.

Don't let it get to you mate. I for one enjoyed this thread.. again!

Drek

Sony...in front? Because of new IP? When Xenoblade was perhaps, the best new IP of the generation?

lmao

Nintendo >^10 Sony >^15 Microsoft

A Final Fantasy XII clone jammed full of fetch quests is the best new IP of the generation? Seriously?

I'm a fan but I recognize it for what it is.

Uncharted is easily the most successful new first party IP of the past generation. It rivals Gran Turismo now as Sony's flagship IP.

statham

just pm a mod thats online, but I doubt you'll get banned unless bish is online err.... RUN!

Sony...in front? Because of new IP? When Xenoblade was perhaps, the best new IP of the generation?

lmao

Well that's your opinion on it. Xenon lase doesn't really intrigue me, and the Wii and Wii U have been complete disappointments for me.

Radec

lmao

Shaq-points-laughs-and-leaves-press-conference.gif

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
As you're very interested in this comparison, check this post out that has information on how many employees the different studios have. Based on that you could infer how many games they could be developing simultaneously.

Sony Computer Entertainment:

Naughty Dog - 240+
Santa Monica - 200+
San Diego - N/A
Foster City - N/A
London - 300+
Japan - 400+
Guerrilla, Guerrilla Cambridge - Combined 270+
Evolution - 87+
Media Molecule - 47+
Bend - 60+
Sucker Punch - 120+
Polyphony - 140+
Sony Online Entertainment - 664+

Microsoft Studios:

Rare - 150+
343i - 340+
BigPark - 60+
Black Tusk - 110+
MS Victoria - 100+
MSLA - 150+
MS Redmond - N/A
Platform Next - N/A
Playful - N/A
Skybox - N/A
Turn 10 - 70+
Twisted Pixel - 25+
Good Science - N/A
ConnectedExperiences - N/A
Kids&Lifestyle - N/A
Xbox LIVE Productions - N/A
Lionhead - 200+
Lift London - N/A
Soho - N/A
Press Play - 23+

Also define what first-party means in your thread, as there are people on this forum that don't use the definition that is generally agreed upon in the industry.

Maybe it was too mean, but it was definitely not worth the fifteen smackers I paid for it.

Ah, there's the problem. I bought it when it was bundled with Journey and really considered it nothing more than a bonus.

I can certainly understand being angry/upset if you paid full price.

KAL2006

Banned
As you're very interested in this comparison, check this post out that has information on how many employees the different studios have. Based on that you could infer how many games they could be developing simultaneously.

Also define what first-party means in your thread, as there are people on this forum that don't use the definition that is generally agreed upon in the industry.

I'll include 3rd party developers that are contracted to make a game, such as Crytek with Ryse, Quantic Dreams with their games for Sony.

sublimit

Banned
There's no comparison right now really.MS in the previous gen prefered to use the strategy of buying timed exclusives more than investing on their first party studios so now that we are at the start of this (next) gen the difference between Sony's studios and MS's will appear even bigger than before.
I know MS recently seemed to try to invest more on their studios but successful IPs take time to appear (if ever) and require a lot of hit and miss tries as well as lots of investments.Will MS have the patience to continue to invest in their studios if their first new IPs don't end up very successful or will they switch right back to the tried and true practise of buying timed exclusive content and focus on 2-3 big exclusive franchises?Too early to tell but i don't have many hopes MS will continue to invest on their first parties as much as Sony does.

Gadirok

lmao

Aha, putting out 1 IP now puts them out on top? One that wasn't even created by EAD?

Still putting Sony>Nintendo>MS in new IPs.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I suspect Microsoft's encumbrance/employee is much, much higher than Sony's. Probably a large part of what fueled Microsoft's decision to kill off most of their internal development last generation.

With the potential for easier developing/porting this generation I really think buying exclusives isn't going to be much of an option. Microsoft will need to staff up again if they want a comprehensive first party portfolio of games.

Hopefully they started spending that $$$ years ago.

GamerJM

Banned
Honestly, I like Microsoft's more when they're good. They haven't been for the past two or so years though.

Sony will also likely have more third-parties on their side so there's that.

KAL2006

Banned
I will edit the list with the newly announced games after E3. Should see some timed exclusives added for MS, as well as confirmation on what some of the listed developers are making for Sony and MS.

sn00zer

With the IPs Sony is willing to pump money into (Journey, Rain, Heavy Rain, etc.) they will always have my vote...although I do think they can afford to have some more arcadey IPs like Wipeout and Super Stardust

jeremy1456

A Final Fantasy XII clone jammed full of fetch quests is the best new IP of the generation? Seriously?

I'm a fan but I recognize it for what it is.

Uncharted is easily the most successful new first party IP of the past generation. It rivals Gran Turismo now as Sony's flagship IP.

The 'Wii' franchise of games per installment sold significantly more than all Uncharted combined.

Something like Uncharted would be like a B tier Nintendo franchise in regards to sales.

So let's not exaggerate Uncharted's importance.

I look forward to what Sony can put out but outside of InFamous (first one), Uncharted (all of them) and GT5, their portfolio doesn't excite me all that much.

But, I'll wait to be humbled. MS was great for the first 5-6 years ...

Either way, I spend most of my gaming time with 3rd party titles so 1st party usually isn't what sells me on a console.

The 'Wii' franchise of games per installment sold significantly more than all Uncharted combined.

Something like Uncharted would be like a B tier Nintendo franchise in regards to sales.

So let's not exaggerate Uncharted's performance.

Yes, but Nintendo also had like 50 Super Mario spinoffs over the Wiis lifetime

kortez320

I think a lot of the Sony first party devs are overrated (Sucker Punch/Guerrilla/Media Molecule) but with teams like Santa Monica, Naughty Dog and Polyphony they have a whole lot more proven talent then Microsoft does at this point. With Bungie gone they don't really have a studio that is proven to put out high quality games year after year with the exception of Turn 10 perhaps.

I will say though that I am very excited for the Black Tusk production. It seems like that is going to be a definite thing and I'm a sucker for sci-fi shooters.

SOE is also a pretty damn good group. Ironically mostly on PC. Planetside 2 is a lot of fun.

No, don't lock this thread KAL2006. Maybe you are biased, but your OP is totally alright and meets the standards. We can leave this as it is as long as you're wiling to update the list.

For Sony is missing:

-Quantic Dream has a second team as well working on PS4

For MS is missing:

-MS Redmond
-Skybox
-ConnectedExperiences
-Xbox LIVE Productions

Ricky_R

No, don't lock this thread KAL2006. Maybe you are biased, but your OP is totally alright and meets the standards. We can leave this as it is as long as you're wiling to update the list.

For Sony is missing:

-Quantic Dream has a second team as well working on PS4

For MS is missing:

-MS Redmond
-Skybox
-ConnectedExperiences
-Xbox LIVE Productions

Quantic Dream is not first party though.

Man

The day Nintendo evolve to handle technologies like modern physics engines and netcode... Maybe then they can start to challenge Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom