• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony vs Microsoft: The First Party Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.

flippedb

Banned
Well, we saw how well that worked... N64 and Gamecube.

Wii was an exception because they reached a new casual market with the Wii, but that market is gone now. Those people play on their smartphones and tablets now, they don't buy WiiUs or Nintendogames anymore.

Both the N64 and the GC "lived". Nintendo didn't lose any money with GC, afaik

Why is this even a thread, it's not even a comparison. MS has what, Turn 10 and 343 and respectable developers? One has made nothing but racing games and the other has made one game which was a sequel to an already established franchise.

IzzyF3

Sony>Nintendo>Microsoft. Sony edges out Nintendo because I feel like Nintendo goes back to the well too many times. Doesn't help when most podcasts and comments say things like I'll buy a Wii U when the next Mario or Zelda comes out.

slade

Hope the rumors of Sony WWS's preparations for E3 pan out. This entire generation, they have given me games that I have sunk the most hours into. Infamous and Knack are a good start but I want lots lots more.

The Lamp

Yes..but have they produced better IPs? That's what being #1 is really all about. ;)

Yeah, they have actually.

Maybe they don't sell as well as Halo but I'd rather play them than Halo any day.

Edit: doh, you were talking about Nintendo. Yeah I dunno if I'd say Sony's IPs are better quality than Nintendo.

jeremy1456

FYI, the Uncharted franchise has topped 13M in total sales, and Uncharted 3 shipped 3.8M units day one (more than Skyward Sword). Only 7 Wii games have topped that and five of those have names that start with "Wii-".

But sure, that's Nintendo's walled garden ecosystem for you, where they milk the shit out of established IPs generation after generation and 3rd parties provide such little support that a Nintendo console owner is starving between every Nintendo release. Its a very profitable model.

Now the person I quoted was trying to build his argument on the quality of a particular new IP. My rebuttal was that Uncharted, both critically and commercially, is the run away success story in terms of new first party IPs this generation.

I'm not even a big fan of Uncharted. I greatly prefer Xenoblade (because I really loved the first 2/3rds of FFXII). But Uncharted is a far bigger break out new IP.

Last I checked Wii Sports was the runaway first party franchise. Both commercially and critically.

Uncharted isn't even Sony first party. Come on man.

Your argument is basically 'Wii-franchise had five games that sold more than Uncharted 3, but UC3 is the bigger success.'

Think about that.

Sydle

Meh, I enjoyed Microsoft's games over Sony's this generation. Yeah, I played and thoroughly enjoyed the Uncharted series, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet&Clank, Journey, God of War 3, et al, but at the end of the day I preferred a few key titles from MS.

I don't want to miss anything from either company, so I'm getting both consoles.

Last I checked Wii Sports was the runaway first party franchise. Both commercially and critically.

Your argument is basically 'Wii-franchise had five games that sold more than Uncharted 3, but UC3 is the bigger success.'

Think about that.

Uncharted isn't Sony 1st party? Since when?

Think about that.

LOLWUT?!

"Naughty Dog, Inc. (known as Jam Software before renaming in 1989) is an American video game developer based in Santa Monica, California. Founded by Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin in 1986 as an independent developer, the studio was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2001."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naughty_Dog

Mileena

Banned

Think about that.

Embarrassing

CLEEK

Don't forget there will be a ton of 3rd party console exclusives, by nature of the way Sony has embraced indies and MS have put up barriers to block them.

PSN will be home to a butt load of games not available on the Xbone due to this. Sure, they won't be AAA or high profile like Halo 5 of GT7, but will make a big different to the depth and quality of games available on each console.

btkadams

Think about that.
Critically? In what world did Wii Sports experience greater critical success than the Uncharted series?

Microsoft does a lot of second party games by publishing games from studios they don't own. Sometimes it works out for them and sometimes that company gets bought by EA.

JWong

Banned
I... this thread... Can't even...

Back on topic, it would be interesting to see how much Kinect gets pushed by Microsoft. It really killed their studios' quality when they force it.

Sony has in my opinion the most divers 1st party titles and the highest quality on average.
They also have the overall most talented studios.

I can't imagine Microsoft building up such very good teams in a very short amount of time. It takes several years and MS just isn't there yet.

And we are right now seeing Nintendo having a hard time support 3DS and WiiU at the same time. 3DS support is very good, but WiiUs is terrible, I guess they are swamped by HD development. No 1st party launch titles except for a 2D plattformer and a mini games collection and after that nothing for 10 months? Thats just ridiculous.

Sonys is apparantly doing a good job supporting Vita, Ps3 and Ps4.
Even tho Vita comes a little short.
(LBP Karting, GoW:Ascension should've been Vitaexclusives. Would've easily sold more on Vita and would've gotten better review scores. Puppeteer, Rain and GT6 should also be on Vita, not Ps3 only)

Only 2012 till today:
Vita:
Uncharted, Wipeout, GravityRush, LittleBigPlanetVita, PSAllstarBattleRoyal, Sly4, SoulSacrifice, MLB12+13 are the bigger 1st Party titles so far. There are also some smaller ones like LittleDeviants, Unit13, ModnationRacers, SuperStardust and more.
Upcoming: Tearaway, Killzone:Mercenary, FreedomWars, Jak&Daxter Collection

Ps3:
Starhawk, Twisted Metal, MLB12+13, Tokyo Jungle, PSAllstarBattleRoyal, LBPKarting, WhenVikingAttack, Wonderbook, Sorcery, Sports Champions 2, Ratchet&Clank:FFA, GodOfWar:Ascension, SlyCooper, PS Move Fitness and a lot of HD Collections.
Upcoming: Beyond:Two Souls, TheLastOfUs, Puppeteer, Rain, GranTurismo6

Ps4:(announced)
Infamous3, Knack, Killzone:ShadowFall, DriveClub

Those are only titles we know of so far, I think that list will get bigger after E3.
There are quite some Sony team were we don't know what they're doing.

They put out an extreamly good 1st party Support for 2-3 plattforms, thats something neither Nintendo nor Micrsoft can compete with.

MrMephistoX

Sony shouldn't have a problem dominating in that area.

Pretty much RARE stacks up with the best of the Sony Studios if Viva Piñata and Banjo Nuts and Bolts are any indication: too bad the majority of the Xbox audience doesn't buy those types of games. I really wish Mistwalker's titles took off last gen too.

abadguy

Banned
Going by Turn 10 and 343I, MS is fairly good at building up talented studios. Looking forward to seeing what the new dev teams can do.

Sydle

Going by Turn 10 and 343I, MS is fairly good at building up talented studios. Looking forward to seeing what the new dev teams can do.

Yeah, they seem quite proud and confident of the talent they've acquired to build Blacktusk and Lift London, curious to see what comes out of those two studios. And they've hired a lot of new talent for Rare since their last game, so maybe their 3 teams will be able to deliver games that have a broader appeal.

Sony has in my opinion the most divers 1st party titles and the highest quality on average.
They also have the overall most talented studios.

I can't imagine Microsoft building up such very good teams in a very short amount of time. It takes several years and MS just isn't there yet.

And we are right now seeing Nintendo having a hard time support 3DS and WiiU at the same time. 3DS support is very good, but WiiUs is terrible, I guess they are swamped by HD development. No 1st party launch titles except for a 2D plattformer and a mini games collection and after that nothing for 10 months? Thats just ridiculous.

Sonys is apparantly doing a good job supporting Vita, Ps3 and Ps4.
Even tho Vita comes a little short.
(LBP Karting, GoW:Ascension should've been Vitaexclusives. Would've easily sold more on Vita and would've gotten better review scores. Puppeteer, Rain and GT6 should also be on Vita, not Ps3 only)

Only 2012 till today:
Vita:
Uncharted, Wipeout, GravityRush, LittleBigPlanetVita, PSAllstarBattleRoyal, Sly4, SoulSacrifice, MLB12+13 are the bigger 1st Party titles so far. There are also some smaller ones like LittleDeviants, Unit13, ModnationRacers, SuperStardust and more.
Upcoming: Tearaway, Killzone:Mercenary, FreedomWars, Jak&Daxter Collection

Ps3:
Starhawk, Twisted Metal, MLB12+13, Tokyo Jungle, PSAllstarBattleRoyal, LBPKarting, WhenVikingAttack, Wonderbook, Sorcery, Sports Champions 2, Ratchet&Clank:FFA, GodOfWar:Ascension, SlyCooper, PS Move Fitness and a lot of HD Collections.
Upcoming: Beyond:Two Souls, TheLastOfUs, Puppeteer, Rain, GranTurismo6

Ps4:(announced)
Infamous3, Knack, Killzone:ShadowFall, DriveClub

Those are only titles we know of so far, I think that list will get bigger after E3.
There are quite some Sony team were we don't know what they're doing.

They put out an extreamly good 1st party Support for 2-3 plattforms, thats something neither Nintendo nor Micrsoft can compete with.

Journey?!

ThatGameCompany had a three game contract with Sony, but they aren't 1st party.

It was still a game funded by Sony. The game is a First Party Game, even if the studio isn't. Eat Sleep Play isn't owned by Sony either, but they worked with Sony and got Sony to fund the making of Twisted Metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom