• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony, where is our playstation premium game demos?

Elios83

So where are the first party games.
They have put the Syphon Filter games, Ape Escape, Locoroco, Echochrome, Wild Arms, Key of Heaven, the Sly Cooper series, the R&C series. The last two groups of titles for some people don't count because they're through streaming but they work perfectly so it's an absurd position.
They could definetly do more but at the same it will be hard to get titles whose dev teams don't exist anymore or are stucked in the publishing rights limbo.

Last edited:

mdkirby

I’ll be dead the day anyone other than me touches my PS5, and I say that as a father of two.
I mean that's the beauty of cloud and digital gaming, they don't need to go anywhere near the actual machine, just the controller...if ur particularly precious, just give them the xbox controller instead and slap on gamespass :)

ManaByte

The last two groups of titles for some people don't count because they're through streaming
No for some people they don’t count because they were part of PS Now that they REMOVED just before the conversion to PS+ Premium. Now they’re re-adding them and acting like they’re new to the service.

Topher

Gold Member
Crysis Remastered and Carmageddon - top of my head. I upgraded to extra and can't play those.

EU user. And that would be comical if those games are streaming only...

Not sure about EU, but in the US Crysis Remastered is in the classics catalog. Carmageddon is in Extra. It is weird, though, to have games available on PS4 in the "classics catalog".

Doczu

Not sure about EU, but in the US Crysis Remastered is in the classics catalog. Carmageddon is in Extra. It is weird, though, to have games available on PS4 in the "classics catalog".
Well Crysis does show up on the premium tier so maybe it is really a streaming title (fucking kek on classic on that one) but Carmageddon is not listed on extra. Maybe i saw an US list cause i know a few titles are different between regions.

Thief1987

Crysis is a remaster of a PS3 game, so they are treating it as a "classic". Same with the Mafia Remake which is in Premium and also considered as "classic". Yakuza 3,4,5 Remasters to the same category. Just some cunning way to lock more games in the Premium tier.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Well Crysis does show up on the premium tier so maybe it is really a streaming title (fucking kek on classic on that one) but Carmageddon is not listed on extra. Maybe i saw an US list cause i know a few titles are different between regions.

What really sucks is I can't just go to Sony's website and find a list of games that are available in each service. The site has links to take you to the list for each category, but there is only one list and that is all the games available jumbled into one big alphabetical list:

Sony really sucks at this shit. Glad their studios know what they are doing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Wait, the very modern Crysis Remastered, which benefits from a PS5 patch, is in *classics* ?

the fuck kind of labeling bullshittery is that ..

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Crysis is a remaster of a PS3 game, so they are treating it as a "classic". Same with the Mafia Remake which is in Premium and also considered as "classic". Yakuza 3,4,5 Remasters to the same category. Just some cunning way to lock more games in Premium tier.

Yeah, but it is a PS4 game.

Wait, the very modern Crysis Remastered is in *classics* ?

the fuck kind of labeling bullshittery is that ..

The Sony variety.

Elios83

No for some people they don’t count because they were part of PS Now that they REMOVED just before the conversion to PS+ Premium. Now they’re re-adding them and acting like they’re new to the service.
There are still all the games you left out of the quote.
Still they need to do much better and there is no reason atm to subscribe to Premium if you're interested in old classics.
The problem is that I think they won't bother, Premium will be left as the tier for those interested in cloud/streaming.

Filben

People complained about poor devs so they didn’t end up doing it

I’m actually not sure why they’re not doing it, it seems like there were a bunch of heresay reports that were never confirmed by sony themselves. They said timed demos would be part of premium but the “every game over x amount will have a demo” was never confirmed.

I get their perspective. But for me, I don't want to pay for the CHANCE (=optional for devs and publishers) that I MIGHT get a demo.

Imagine it the other way: give me a demo all the time and I MIGHT pay for your subscription. Forced payment? bad. optional payment? Good!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think game demos should be allowed because I know I got to make sure I like the game before buying.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You can play full games for a limited time, no? How's that any different really? You want specific demo versions that let you try some different things from the game, like in the old days? Yeah, I don't think anyone is really interested in doing that anymore.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Where are the demos?
Where is the premium content full stop.

Aenima

Until you get Extra and see that they save all of the good games for Premium. If you're going to pay the money just get the one that actually has the games you think you're going to get with Extra.
Premium dont get PS5 or PS4 games. All the good games are on Extra. Premium get streaming, PS1, PS2, PSP and PS3 games and remastered games from PS3. But so far the catalog on the premium only section has been pretty poor.

Also one can just get the Extra tier, and if later something interesting appears on Premium they can upgrade to premium without paying full price. Instead of spending money on Premium from the start and living with regret, complaining every month that Premium offerings sucks.

Last edited:

GymWolf

You are waiting for the demos, i'm waiting for their old classic streaming service to not look and play like an absolute turd with a 100gb internet connection.

Tried both infamous and they were dreadful.

Jimbo should fix this stuff before crying for the cod deal.

Last edited:

Aenima

Here's a recent reddit thread that explains what I experienced when I first upgraded.

My console wouldn't let me download some games at the Extra tier and told me they were Premium only when I tried to install them, but other people apparently didn't have any trouble doing it. Once I upgraded to Premium I didn't have any issues.

I played almost all of those games on extra. There are some games mislabeled by only mentioning Premium, but thats because you can stream them using premium, but you can still download and play them using extra. If you could not, it was a bug and you should have contacted Sony about it.

I download them by opening the PS+ Extra catalog. And never had problems downloading any of the games in it. I noticed if you search a game on the PS store there are games that only mention premium because they can be streamed using Premium, dunno if thats what causing the problem. Meaning ppl that try to download them from the PS Store are having throuble while they work fine when downloading them from the PS+ Extra catalog section.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
You can play full games for a limited time, no? How's that any different really? You want specific demo versions that let you try some different things from the game, like in the old days? Yeah, I don't think anyone is really interested in doing that anymore.
Just out of curiosity, how long do you feel would be an appropriate demo? Let's pretend Sony offered time demos of every AAA game, controlled at a platform level. No extra work from the publisher required. Would a one-hour timed demo of every AAA game be enough to justify the subscription cost?

Doczu

Crysis is a remaster of a PS3 game, so they are treating it as a "classic". Same with the Mafia Remake which is in Premium and also considered as "classic". Yakuza 3,4,5 Remasters to the same category. Just some cunning way to lock more games in the Premium tier.
Yeah that's just bullshit. Way to go Sony, good thing i share the service so you get 50% the cash per person for 50% of the premium content

Banned

wait what? that's highly sketchy...

Doczu

Premium dont get PS5 or PS4 games. All the good games are on Extra. Premium get streaming, PS1, PS2, PSP and PS3 games and remastered games from PS3. But so far the catalog on the premium only section has been pretty poor.
But this is really weird cause if Mafia 1 is treated as a "classic" game, even though it's a native PS4 game then Yakuza Kiwami should also be premium but it's on Extra 🤷🏻‍♂️

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
premium tier is not very well thought, im surprise at the lack of PS1 games.

The real takeaway has been just how much of a joke PlayStation Plus Premium has been.

I think they're trying to push out people who were grandfathered into it, but it's a huge assumption that we'll just come back consistently when there is content and value. I wouldn't count on it.

Aenima

But this is really weird cause if Mafia 1 is treated as a "classic" game, even though it's a native PS4 game then Yakuza Kiwami should also be premium but it's on Extra 🤷🏻‍♂️
Kiwami is not a remaster, its a Remake. Thats why Yakuza 3,4 and 5 are on Premium only because they are remasters of the PS3 games even if the remasters are native PS4 games. But there are some games on Extra that you would think it would only be available on the Classics, like the OG FF7, 8 and 9.

I think its scummy and only creates confusion by making native PS4 games locked on the Premium tier cuz they are remasters of classic games, but thats the way they decided to go to add more value to the premium tier.

Last edited:

Doczu

Kiwami is not a remaster, its a Remake. Thats why Yakuza 3,4 and 5 are on Premium only because they are remasters of the PS3 games even if the remasters are native PS4 games. But there are some games on Extra that you would think it would only be available on the Classics, like the OG FF7, 8 and 9.
Ok, still still stupid.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All Premium tier is it's bundling together PS+ and PS Now into one forced bundle.

The hook was tons of demos, more legacy games and starting in June you'd get some PS5 games like Returnal and whatever other recent games they have.

But the thing is, if Sony never did the 3-tier model, those games would had come to PS Now anyway (or at least most of them). No different than PS Now getting new games every month. So what you could had done is stay with PS+ and do PS Now if you feel like it (as an option). But now it's bundled.

The biggest games they promoted in June were all SP games (Returnal, DS, Ghost of Tsushima), so they didn't want people cherry picking PS Now only.

You guys basically got burned with a high priced bundle pack. It's like cable TV providers forcing you to pick a high value pack if you want certain features. But then you sign up and it turns out they change the channel selection where the channel you want isn't included at all. Or when I signed up for 4k channels years ago in one of their mid tier bundles (and quit), Rogers Cable literally comes with only 3 or 4 4k channels. And some of them don't even have content 24/7. TSN 4k is only active if they have a game to telecast in 4k that night. The rest of the day it's a blank screen with a TSN logo on it. So technically they werent lying. There is 4k service. But in reality it's hardly any service.

Last edited:

GHG

People cried about them and somehow twisted them into being a bad thing for everyone.

Joey Bosa Video GIF

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just out of curiosity, how long do you feel would be an appropriate demo? Let's pretend Sony offered time demos of every AAA game, controlled at a platform level. No extra work from the publisher required. Would a one-hour timed demo of every AAA game be enough to justify the subscription cost?

To me it's worth very little, which is why I don't have Premium.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
This service is a fucking sham. I left after i saw how pathetic their classics offering was. Seems like sony wont do anything unless its cheap and easy when it comes to their services

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So bumping this thread because I got a nice coupon on my main account for Extra and Premium and guessing Premium still isn't worth the extra cost?

Top Bottom