• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will shut down Gran Turismo 6 servers on March 2018

aaronwt

Stuff like this is why Gen7 stuff will mostly be worthless 20 years from now. Half of it won't work or will be incomplete because online functionality/DLC won't be available.

I will have no desire to play any current game twenty years from now. Just like now I have no desire to play any game from twenty years ago.

Even though I have fond memories from many video games I played over the last forty five years. I have no desire to go back and play those old games with those crappy graphics.

And in 20 years the current graphics of today will be crappy compared to what is available then.

Ranger X

Sony: "Please stop playing your old game and give us money for our new game"
Consumer: "That's okay, I'm happy with GT6 and GTS doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrad..."
Sony: *flicks off switch*

My thoughts exactly.
But I have something to say to Sony. I sadly have a lot of other games to play in this wonderful industry and great racing games too. With GT Sports that seems to depend on the online even just for fucking saving, Sony ain't getting a dime from me. No sweat there.

Ranger X

out with the old, in with the new.

image.php

I think sony are doing the right thing, out with the old, in with the new.

Forced obsolescence is never a good thing. Even more so when the new product has less functionality or features than the preceding one.

My thoughts exactly.
But I have something to say to Sony. I sadly have a lot of other games to play in this wonderful industry and great racing games too. With GT Sports that seems to depend on the online even just for fucking saving, Sony ain't getting a dime from me. No sweat there.

100% agree. In the interim, I'll throw my money at other developers/publishers who make competing games that offer a more compelling and consumer friendly product that won't have an artificially shortened lifespan.

MilkyJoe

Forced obsolescence is never a good thing. Even more so when the new product has less functionality or features than the preceding one.

100% agree. In the interim, I'll throw my money at other developers/publishers who make competing games that offer a more compelling and consumer friendly product that won't have an artificially shortened lifespan.

Sounds like you need an Xbox.

I fear this is going to get more common moving forward to get people to buy the newest entry. Some are wising up to the idea that micro-transactions are not acceptable in the way they are being implemented in popular games. Online passes are history so I expect shutting down servers will be the next strategy to get consumers to buy their latest game. Just imagine if Activision decided to only offer online for 18 months to play Call of Duty online.

Imagine the shit storm when they shut down the gts servers in a few years time. This is sad for gt6 but it will render gts pretty much unplayable as we know it. As has been said in here already, it's this shit that'll cause another potential crash because people will just get fed up with it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sounds like you need an Xbox.

? Lol, sorry, but 10/10 trollScore ;).

Seriously, it is likely that third parties will see online services (which is not to say XBL or PSN) as THE trigger that forces people to be the next year iteration of their franchise and as scummy as it seems, how is it that different in principle from people trying to save money buying a game 6-10 months after it launched and thus avoiding paying full price for every release?

Considering it is not something isolated to few first party games, but third party non MMO games have the same problem (ask FIFA how many years they would like to keep active their games multiplayer services, which are more and more the core of all their game offerings, for...? The objection would be that it would make the effective usefulness of EA Access less and less... which I do not see EA crying much about ;)).

I do think it is a scummy practice that will bite them in the ass and that he money they save does not really justify it (see Nintendo and MiiVerse for example), but they will be trying it.

woodtock

Banned
With the release of Gran Turismo Sport in North America, Europe and Japan, the reviews are still in the works. So far, there's plenty of criticism for the once hailed "king of racing games".

Once hailed as the best racing franchise of all time, the new Gran Turismo Sport seems a bit sketchy at best. As always, critics are hailing the game's technicalities and visual appeal. Which is great, except Gran Turismo is a racing game, and the thrill of a racing game lies more in the dynamics and driving experience, and less in the graphics department.

Additionally, Gran Turismo Sport seems to have cut back on the number of available cars, with only 162 cars to race with. GT Sport just lacks in the overall quality we've come to expect with the franchise.

As one player described it, "The amount of cars and tracks are a complete joke, the single player sucks, and the need to always be online is tasteless". It would certainly appear that the franchise had peaked a long time ago, and it's only downhill from here.

Gran Turismo Sport lacks the dynamic weather, day and night cycles, and quality single player the previous games were loved for. Although this game may contain "better" graphics, removing the essence of the Gran Turismo franchise was possibly the worst decision the developers could have made. This game has all the workings of a rushed, hollowed out shell of a racing game: http://www.woodstockproduction.com/apps/blog/show/44850344-gran-turismo-is-no-longer-the-king-of-racing-games

sublimit

Banned
^Well said. Only the most blind fanboys still refuse to accept that Polyphony Digital has become a mere shadow of the developer powerhouse they used to be.Having following the series faithfully since its inception it pains me to admit that with each new entry the studio seems to loose more and more of the ambition and high goals which drove them back in the PS1 and PS2 days.
I'm praying for a miracle to happen and the next entry to be worthy of the Gran Turismo name's legacy but honestly i don't have high hopes anymore.

iHaunter

PS Online was FREE with PS3.

No idea why people are complaining, maintaining servers is INCREDIBLY expensive...

No idea why people are complaining, maintaining servers is INCREDIBLY expensive...

Probably because if you do things right this isn't actually the case. For example right now anybody can play the original Guild Wars, a semi-MMO with no monthly fees that was released way back before the 360. There's no way that's bringing in even a quarter as much money as GT6 is today. Servers and bandwidth are only getting cheaper as time passes, obviously.

Now it's extremely believable that Polyphony did a poor job with their servers and so it is expensive for them to maintain, but that's not the fault of the customers they are cutting off here.

Raizing

Neo Member
Crazy to think you can still play Forza Motorsport 2 online, yet despite huge sales and releasing 7 years later, GT6 is already being shut down.

Not a good sign for Sony's outlook on future proofing/backwards compatibility tbh. Once the servers are gone they won't be coming back.

sublimit

Banned
Crazy to think you can still play Forza Motorsport 2 online, yet despite huge sales and releasing 7 years later, GT6 is already being shut down.

Not a good sign for Sony's outlook on future proofing/backwards compatibility tbh. Once the servers are gone they won't be coming back.
Yet Sony's Asian Demon's Souls servers are still up since 2009.

No, they're really not. I can play online in GTAIV, which launched 10 years ago. As someone said, Forza Motorsport 2 still works online, and that's from 11 years ago. Also, Turn 10 may have surpassed PD now, but back then T10 were relatively new and PD were the undisputed kings of sim racing, with an infinitely bigger budget.

Who cares is PS3 had free online? I can play free online PC games from 15-20 years ago that obviously do not generate revenue.

Imagine the shit storm when they shut down the gts servers in a few years time. This is sad for gt6 but it will render gts pretty much unplayable as we know it. As has been said in here already, it's this shit that'll cause another potential crash because people will just get fed up with it.

That will be when they release an offline save feature for GTS.

Nintendo is shutting down their entire shop from the same generation of this game and you don't see people bitching :lol

I mean, wow fuck you Sony. I'm upset about this game I never played.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Not even 5 years old yet, lol

This is ridiculous. I'd understand if maybe it was 10+ years old with virtually no playerbase, but this is too recent

Are people who say stuff like this actually playing it?

Top Bottom