• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Indie Love-in: Why their Gamescom Strategy was Legit

Why bother buying day 1 edition when it will be blood bath if i can wait untill slow parts of 2014 and get it when retailers start to compete for sales since there's no interesting content on start ?

You say this like it's an issue or something. Day one buyers get the least amount of benefits. No sales, every thing is full priced, guinea pigs for hardware, least amount of content and choices for software. The longer you wait the more beneficial it is to you as a consumer.

This console is going to last past 2020, there is no rush. If nothing is interesting enough to you to purchase now there is plenty of time

Lamptramp

I enjoyed that, Great OP Amir0x.

I've gone from being ambivalent about the next gen consoles to pre-ordering a PS4 based (almost entirely) on Sonys Indie "strategy".

Steam and its library of varied small budget games has entertained me far more than any of the recent AAA games, and while I've enjoyed games such as Dishonored and TLOU the majority of the bigger budget titles don't entertain me as much as they once did.

I wanted to have as close to that "Steam" library experience as I could downstairs on my sofa. I'm sure I could buy a PC for the equivalent money, but small form factor and ease of maintenance is more important to me while gaming in my lounge (but thats another argument).

Sonys strategy has been excellent for me, its dragged me out of my console ennui. Aside from embracing a range of low budget and indie games, Sony seem also to be embracing cross platform compatibility and support for free to play & MMOs. As a bonus I can still enjoy those few and far between AAA titles that I may fancy.

The mere fact that EQN could make its way to PS4 in the future and with the possibility of cross platform play (or a character transfer from PC to console and back like SoE hinted at for PS2) makes me excited also.

SmokyDave

Cracking OP. I don't have anything to add with more substance than 'I'm really enjoying the age of indies and I think Sony are doing great things', but this is a very interesting thread.

Don't forget "Hohokum".
Destructoid's Jordan Devore called Hohokum the "most relaxing game" of E3

ibsU4xBUiOhaCd.gif

Neogaf Link

When I get my hands on a PS4, Doki-Doki Universe and Hohokum are the first two indie titles I'm playing. The latter being described as "the most relaxing game of E3" just makes me want to play it so bad. There aren't enough games that let you kick back, mellow out and take it easy.

cormack12

Gold Member
Very good OP. I think the Vita will enormously help indie games. AAA games arguably should be played on your full setup, the big screen etc. The video of switching AC IV to Vita was very good, but really playing games like that will require full fidelity and will be best realised on a grand and epic scale on your TV.

The AAA shooters might scratch a handheld itch but with no L2/R2/L3/R3 they become limited. I'm certainly looking forward to playing titles like resogun on the vita via remote play whilst in the living room/bedroom.

It's full steam ahead for me when it concerns indie games. As a primarily B-Tier gamer I understand that those types of experiences are becoming smaller and smaller (barring dedicated portables which seems to be shrinking as well); indie video games has softened the blow and provided me with some great experiences without breaking the bank. Real talk it confuses me how people write off indie games, because you know... they're still games.

This is something I constantly bring up in Nintendo Wii-U related threads; courting indie games, creating e-shop + VC deals and build your advertisement around it to fill in software gaps. The N64 and GameCube didn't have the indie market whereas the Wii-U does so it'd be in their best interest to take full advantage of this emerging trend. Sony is already ahead of the curve.

Great OP.

Platy

*looks*

*blinks*

I...what?

Can you...expand on your point a little? I am seriously confused as to what I am supposed to be seeing in that video that makes such a comment possible lol

Digital games next to digital games.
They don't make the "Indie games almost never cost as much as a full game" that your post made and Sony makes.

Ballpoint universe and Shovel knight next to Shadow's of Mystara.
Treating Capcom and indie developers on the same level.
Unreleased indie games, unknown indie games, not just sequels and games that sold a lot and received lots of praise on steam.
Every type of indie game, not just "aaa indie games" =P

And the "get dev kit, receive wiiu unity version for free" and the WiiU web framework don't hurt either.

SentryDown

That was a great OP, Amir0x.

I thought I'd try to shed a bit of light on those 20 first-year games from Sony. The following are all announced games from SCE Worldwide Studios.

Here are the two possibilities:

1) If Sony counts each game, no matter whether they're retail or digital, there should be 8 first-year games left to be unveiled.

2) If Sony doesn't count games also on PS3, PS Vita, or PS Mobile as PS4-exclusive, we'd have 5 retail games and 4 digital games—9 total games—meaning there'd be 11 first-year games still unannounced.

Edit: For fun, here's Xbox One's list:

Note: Minecraft is included because, although not exclusive, it is published by Microsoft Game Studios.

The possibilities:

1) Microsoft has revealed 18 games, 3 more than its 15 game promise.

2) Not counting games also on Xbox 360, Microsoft has revealed 14 games, and has one more left to be announced.

Are SOE games counted in those 20 even if it is not part of WWS ? If so, we should add Everquest Next, Planetside 2 and DC Universe Online

Paskil

They don't make the "Indie games almost never cost as much as a full game" that your post made and Sony makes.

Unreleased indie games, unknown indie games, not just sequels and games that sold a lot and received lots of praise on steam.

And the "get dev kit, receive wiiu unity version for free" and the WiiU web framework don't hurt either.

When I bought Spelunky last night, it was listed with all the other Vita games. When I go on the store and click "All PS3 games" it brings up all the games, side-by-side. Sure Indies have their own category as well but just to sort them so they are all easily located in one spot. They aren't placed into a segregated ghetto. Come back and talk to me about what Nintendo is doing right when they have a unified account system. Until that day, I have no interest and refuse to buy anything from the eshop for my 3DS.

What is wrong with mentioning the price factor? If I can buy ten excellent $5 games instead of one $60, everyone wins
except the $60 game maker
, no?

Raytow

Time to lay down the nintendo koolaid kid.

I also see this strategy as a way for Sony to keep a close eye on these developers to see if they can find some future potential for a proper PS4 game and a possible contract.

Great thread btw.

Exactly! It's like a Farm System for innovative developers to stretch their legs and really get creative in a lower risk environment. Hopefully this will decrease the 'great game, bad marketing/sales' situation we saw with the current gen. And it seems Sony is trying to keep these developers in the Sony ecosystem less by being restrictive and more by just being a supportive platform in which developers want to work.

I really enjoyed reading the OP. I agree totally that indie games bring a diversity to the playing field which somewhat lacks in AAA titles. Can't wait to get my hands on Rime, Shadow of the Beast, & Galax-Z.

Shengar

Really great OP like others have said, totally worth reading. Also there are some pretty interesting point here and there by some posters that makes the discussion worth going.

If I migh add just a bit, the thing that makes Sony's Indie push is great for me is that they try to create a healthy enviroment for non-AAA games development. We know how destructive the HD era was to the industry. Many game studio shutdown. Japanese developers and publishers jump into smartphone bandwagon since it have lower risk and generate more revenue. The HD era itself have put big barriers for new developer wih small team to enter the industry (for console at least).

With this enviroment, provided Sony could maintain it and make it healthy, those indies developer, like you said would be the future AAA developer. At first I actually worry about Sony strategies and the enviroment they try to make. The low-to-no cost barried actually mean that the market would be potentially flooded by shovelware like App Market/Google Play Store did. But the post by Platy that said that Sony promoting already popular indie, which is true! It strikes me the idea that Sony would actively promote successful indie developer on their platform. So future indie developer that want to try the platform musn't do half assed job if they want to get promoted by Sony. One or two shovelware would eventually make into PSN off course, but Sony's enviroment would pay off any competent indie developer if they managed to pull their effort together.

I agree that current indies could be the future AAA studios, but to make this true, indies need to push themselves with the game they made. They need to have bigger vision, and slightly more ambitious title for any future game they might create. I said this because I worry if indie become reluctant to leave their comfort zone, which could create a stale game development cycle.

I'm looking forward at the day when these indies managed to become the middle ground of our industry, returning the diversity we once have in older generation.

One last thing, althought its also true that indies have are so different in term of genre, but I've yet to see worthy RPG that developed by indies.
Demon Soul's 2 by itself is going to create a blackhole so powerful that it'll by itself be all of the games simultaneously. All of them

I saw your post Marty Chinn, I'm just cooking dinner for my little niece right now.
It should eventually nail the coffin and shut any "PS4 have no AAA games lol". But again they would just started saying "It just one game lol".
Oh please stop. Demon Souls 2 is never going to happen. From isn't going to ever wan't to cannibalize sales of the Dark Souls series.
Please, if anything Demon's Souls 2 wouldn't even cannibalize PS3 Dark Souls 2 sales. Souls series is your kind of game that you would never get enough to. Souls fans is always voracious with new Souls game, providing From Software don't release it annualy with reused assets.
now who really cares if the game is sold for cheap, it's great for us. but I've been thinking that games price need to be more varied, more mid tier pricing between $15 digital download game and $60 retail game. we need the $30-$40 games. Sony is aware of this and already pricing some of their PS3 games in that price, Sly is $40 and it works well for them, now upcoming Puppeteer are also sold at $40. so we have the typically $60 big retail games sold for $40, now what about the other end of the spectrum, how about $30 digital downloadable game that is bigger and longer or with better presentation that normal.
I agree on your point pricing, becaue I believe there is a big differene between games that developed with $30 cost in mind and the one that being developed with $10 cost.
This is also my reasoning why I couldn't trust smartphone market.

Read this thread.
Wait until launch. They don't want to canibalize their launch games and launch exclusives.
Don't act like SONY doesn't have anything left at all.
They have more left to show than MS.

Announcing games that will be released a year after launch will have no effect on the sales of launch games. People who do choose to buy a console at launch aren't going to not buy games for their console because a new game in their favorite series is scheduled for launch a year after the console launches.

Plus, Sony has already teased a game (The Order) that is set to release a year or so after the PS4 launch so who's to say that isn't their big Holiday 2014 release?

Oppo

You're high.

Front page of Vita store right now:

Big AAA games right next to little tiny indie games. Several dedicated sections for indies (Indie section PAX section, summer sale).

Bundy

Banned
Rime, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Resogun and Shadow of the Beast are legit exclusives, Rime and Shadow have a far more significant budget than most indie games anyway and are almost AAA games in their own right.
Just like "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture" (running on the CryEngine 3, co-developed by SONY Santa Monica)

BigDug13

AAA Publishers should honestly be scared right now. Indie games looking better and better, flooding the market with great looking and innovative titles, taking away a gamer's available gaming hours from AAA purchases, it's only going to further damage the AAA market and budgets.

Which honestly I'm fine with because AAA game budgets, sales expectations, lack of innovation due to focus testing, and white collar paycheck "publisher bloat" taking away dollars from the creative talent is a real problem. Publishers need to fail and game development needs to return to a system where the creative talent sees the bulk of the profits.

AAA Publishers should honestly be scared right now. Indie games looking better and better, flooding the market with great looking and innovative titles, taking away a gamer's available gaming hours from AAA purchases, it's only going to further damage the AAA market and budgets.

A lot of the better, greater looking titles from small developers are still funded and published by a large company though, like Sony.

Some can handle it on their own resources ( both developmental and money ), but there is still a gap that most small teams cannot close without sufficient funding and support from highly experienced devs.

For the time being, I hope Sony finds great success with its endeavours, which will hopefully incentives publishers to also give the 'mid-tier' market a shot, without being crazily excessive about things like monetisation, franchise-building, etc.

So basically, MS completely disregarded indies, forgot about them and now they are spinning that into somehow being positive because they are "focusing" on retail games, and you are buying it... despite Sony actually investing more money into retail by owning all these studios that are making games.

What? What am I "buying"? I'm not spinning no indies is better than indies. Indies are a benefit. The only thing I've suggested is how much weight they pull relative to other games.

Message from Sony is that they will have a ton of indies to compliment ton of first party games.

In reality, Sony is focusing more on indies and more on exclusives than Microsoft.

How can that be spun into something bad?

I wasn't saying it was bad to have, I was saying how they present their messaging and focus to the consumer is what I disagreed with.

I mean if Sony now comes out and says - we are developing Gran Turismo 7, Uncharted 4, Beyond, God of War, LBP, The Last of Us 2, MLB, etc, then you will somehow feel that Sony obliterates whatever MS has coming for XB1 in next 3 years, right?

Besides, right now PS4 has Killzone and Infamous coming from their big titles, as well as Knack and Driveclub as their new IPs... thats pretty nice set of first party titles for first 3 months of console life, two of which will likely sell over anything that MS has for XB1 at that time.

I'm not saying Sony should blow their load; I'm saying they should be flexing that large investment they've made and the claim that they had 20 exclusives in the first year. They should be showing that there will be a constant pace of games on both front for the first 365 days. If something is due out in May, I would think we'd know about it by now.

You now just listed two games from small teams that could only be classified as "indie" when they came out, which blew up into literal worldwide phenomenons. And they are certainly not the only examples.

Obviously, such examples are going to be the exception.

And this was what I was getting at. They are an exception and we need to look at the overall effect of what the genre or type of games has on the impact on the market. It's great that Sony is betting on all angles, but showing Minecraft as an example of how much weight the indie market pulls isn't proof at all IMO. I know you extend the point in a second, so let me get to that.

Such remarkably successful titles are the exception amongst ALL games, let alone AAA titles. But my point is that we have no way to predict this one way or the other. In this day and age, there's really no particular reason to give a leg up to retail games over digital games in terms of their potential impact... in both cases, we have examples where they fail and they succeed beyond anyone's wildest imagination.

I agree there's no way to predict a break out hit sometimes, but you're still playing an odds game and businesses gamble accordingly. It's best to cover your bases to hope to get that big hit, but in general, the physical, normal retail game holds a lot more weight among the consumers than indie games do right now. Technically there's no real reason that a game in any format is any better or worse than a game on any different form factor, but the cold reality is that is not the case. It's the same reason that mid-tier games struggled this generation. It's about perception and perception is closer to reality than what we would like reality to be.

And more centrally, to separate our argument real quick about the potential market impact versus the impact on a gamer-by-gamer basis, to me it shouldn't matter whether something is AAA or not. That's part of the reason for this discussion. We as gamers are - whether subconsciously or not - segmenting indie titles into some form of 'lesser tier' game, and the only true distinguishing fact is that they cost less to develop and that most are not retail releases. But does having a physical disc upgrade the game's quality? I don't think that should matter when assessing a system's library. Just the quality of the game itself.

I agree with this in theory. But like I said before, and I think I'll make it more clear at the end where I'm coming from, what should be true, isn't always true. One reason I'm platform agnostic is so I don't deal with the crap and nuances of different consoles or platforms. Buying them all just frees me up to buy the best games out there. So I'm right there with you that the form factor should not determine or hinder the game.

Well as I said, they still did reveal one or two bigger budget games at Gamescom. So the conversation didn't just stop at pure indies. But, I feel right now is the perfect opportunity for indie devs to take the spotlight and demonstrate how important it is to the "healthy ecosystem" - which is a killer app for me and others - to allow the widest and most diverse range of possible tastes to be satiated. For me, this is integral to what I want out of a platform, and I feel whether the average consumer would list this outright as a reason, subconsciously many consumers choose on this basis as well: whether they think the system is a good investment because of the gaming ecosystem. These indie games help create such a healthy ecosystem.

Well to me they came off as a Journey level style game, not a full retail disc. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got. They felt like smaller games that are just bigger budget indie games. Nothing wrong with that, but what I felt they should have done was have just at least one announcement or tease of something to expect after Infamous. Something that just tells me there isn't going to be a drought after February.

And since we know Sony ALSO has a huge number of unannounced AAA products, and that they already have announced some big ones that are further down the line (inFamous and The Order, and potentially Shadow of the Beast and Rime), the ecosystem could only be described as very healthy indeed early on. Especially when, like the XBO, third party support is extremely vibrant.

It's hard for me to say it's healthy or not without seeing what to expect after the holiday season and Infamous. I have no doubts that they have a lot of content in the works, but what I question is how far off that content is. Focusing on smaller games because they're quicker and cheaper to make to fill in the gap certainly helps with a drought but again it speaks that there might be a gap on the retail front.

I just don't know why we keep thinking Knack, Killzone, DriveClub, inFamous, The Order, Rime and Shadow of the Beast is not currently enough to tell these people that those AAA experiences are coming as well, while not putting Sony at a strategic disadvantage by letting them play their most important cards when they're going to need them?

What # of AAA games do you think would meet the requirement that Sony is adequately doing both? To say nothing of the fact that they're ALSO supporting the PS3 with some of the most astonishingly impressive end of life support I've ever seen for a console. This is a company that means serious business. I don't know why anyone would doubt that given they already announced a ton of AAA PS4 games, we know they have tons more in the pipe, and they're supplementing that with exclusive indie games and non-exclusive indie games.

Right now I'm not counting Rime and Shadow of the Beast for reasons I listed before. The Order isn't due until late 2014 though right? So what comes after Infamous is what I'm wondering about. They don't need to play all their cards, or even a lot of big names. I just felt they needed to announce or tease at least one title to keep the hype train moving.

In fact I think they have struck a rather perfect balance at the moment.

I felt Gamescom wasn't balanced to me though. It was too one sided which is why many people didn't like the presentation. Let me elaborate and maybe this will help clear my stance up.

- I'm not saying Sony shouldn't put effort or focus on Indie games.
- I'm not saying that many of the games didn't look good or can't be great experiences.
- I think it's a great strategy to invest on games on all fronts and all types because you never know where that break out hit can come from and it helps with the diversity of games in your library.
- I agree with you that indies of today could be the AAA of tomorrow
- I agree that Indie games are important

So on a personal level, I'm right there with you about Indie games. Had this been a topic about why you should look at Indie games more, or why Indie games are important, or why it's good for Sony to invest supporting Indie games, I think I'd be more in agreement. From an overall internal strategy, it's something they should be doing.

However, and maybe it's just the wording you use, this topic was about Sony's Gamescom strategy and I felt their strategy, which hits more of a public eye, was not the best way to go. The public doesn't weigh the importance of Indie games over retail ones. Retail ones have a much better presence and importance to those people. By focusing on pretty much Indie games, you excluded them. From a perception and business strategy, I felt they didn't best utilize the stage.

To make a terrible analogy, retail games are 90% of the gamers and indie games are 10% of the gamers. They spent most of the time catering to the 10% when at this point in time, they really need to be reaching to as many people as possible. Neither system has launched and in just weeks, Microsoft has made up lost ground. I'm saying from a perception, marketing, and hype strategy, Sony should not give Microsoft much leeway and take advantage of the momentum they have. Having continuous announcements of titles spread out over time is what they should do to make sure everyone keeps getting excited about the PS4. Clearly people felt underwhelmed from Gamescom and we can blow that off all we want, but we shouldn't. That's not to degrade the importance of Indie games, but it was a missed opportunity IMO.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Clearly people felt underwhelmed from Gamescom and we can blow that off all we want, but we shouldn't. That's not to degrade the importance of Indie games, but it was a missed opportunity IMO.
I think that is a personal interpretation of events. We've had article and votings where Sony "won" GamesCom. Not that it's hard if you mainly compete with Microsoft who didn't even announce a release date.

I think that is a personal interpretation of events. We've had article and votings where Sony "won" GamesCom. Not that it's hard if you mainly compete with Microsoft who didn't even announce a release date.

Is it though? There's been plenty of debate and discussion about it. Now we even have this thread trying to defend that stance. I don't think it's a personal interpretation at all.

I hope this Indie crap takes a backseat latere this year and into 2014. They've been getting WAY too much attention at these events.

daoster

So here is what I hope, is that the Japanese indie community emerge this generation in full force.

I know it's a fractured community, and that the Japanese developers view "indie" as something different from the rest of the world, but I want to see some JRPGs up in here. Since the former Japanese heavyweights don't seem to have an idea what to do anymore, and the word "RPG" is foreign to them, I want to see Japanese indies take them on.

Because a lot of people are claiming that the indies are bringing it back to the PS1 and PS2 days, but those days, I played almost exclusively JRPGs, and I want that feeling back.

So come on out, Japanese indies, create those indie JRPGs, and maybe something big will come out of it!

Amir0x

Banned
Marty I'll respond to you a little later tonight, just got home from work. Gonna tick off an easy post first :p

This is mostly entirely down to your perception and lack of knowledge. Sony's indie games run the gamut from every single type, big, small or medium sized, from more major indie devs to minor indie devs and every nuance in between. The list alone in my OP would put this argument to rest in some ways, and that was just one show's worth of announcements.

Hell, in the example I listed in the OP, Paz wasn't even an official PlayStation developer and Shahid sent them a dev kit on the back of their demo alone. And they're like 3 people large! And I've seen literally DOZENS of such examples since Sony's February reveal of PS4.

So, I do believe this is just a case of you having to inform yourself a bit more.

Are SOE games counted in those 20 even if it is not part of WWS ? If so, we should add Everquest Next, Planetside 2 and DC Universe Online

Nah, one thing we know for sure is that SOE game's are not included amongst their 20 first year exclusives. It's only from Sony WWS, which SOE is separate from.

ReaperXL7

I think its interesting because as it stand Sony has not had a need to unleash the beast studios yet, and they are already looking at more demand then they anticipated. I love their indie strategy personally, and cannot wait for many of those games across both PS4, and Vita, but I think its crazy to think that these games somehow nix devs like Naughty Dog, SSM, Media molecule, etc.

They have been able to build all of their current hype without those games, they have all of the big third party studios on board with Battlefield, Destiny, The Division, and now when they need to load up more ammunition they have a bunch of internal AAA exclusives from their top studios ready to go.

This is also ignorning the fact that we have almost no info on Japan from SCEJ, Third parties, or anything really. Im curious to see what goes down at the 9th event, and TGS.

Bundy

Banned
This is also ignorning the fact that we have almost no info on Japan from SCEJ, Third parties, or anything really. Im curious to see what goes down at the 9th event, and TGS.
This!
My favourite genre (J)RPG
I hope console RPG's will make a big comeback on the PS4. The easy architecture of the PS4 will help midle-sized development teams.

And don't forget: There is the japanese PlayStation 4 event (9th September) and the Tokyo Games Show (19-22 September)

T'Zariah

Banned
I honestly think Sony is gearing up to buying a good many of these indie developers to further diversify their studios as well as trying to reignite the mid-tier game that made the 6th console generation so goddamn amazing. Seriously, back when Sony bought Guerilla Games in 2005, just about EVERYONE thought they were batshit fucking insane considering how poor the first Killzone title and Shellshock: Nam '67 were received, critically. Now look where we are, eight years later. They aren't called Guerilla Gods for nothing.

That's what Sony is doing. They are, quite literally, investing and building up their future AAA and Mid-Tier First Party studios, either for late this gen (depending on when they make their purchase) or for the 9th gen in 2020 and beyond. It's actually quite brilliant. You're finding and building up talent in the most unlikeliest of places, giving fresh ideas to an industry that desperately needs to to go away from business practices that have become common place, giving financial and job security to said purchased talent, as well as having a studio that can create unique experiences with very little micromanaging (evidence with TLG being in development hell for almost 7 years to the day) where Sony doesn't pull a MS where they neuter their own teams like they did with Rare.

It's literally a win-win-win-win for everyone involved.

Amir0x

Banned
And this was what I was getting at. They are an exception and we need to look at the overall effect of what the genre or type of games has on the impact on the market. It's great that Sony is betting on all angles, but showing Minecraft as an example of how much weight the indie market pulls isn't proof at all IMO. I know you extend the point in a second, so let me get to that.

I agree there's no way to predict a break out hit sometimes, but you're still playing an odds game and businesses gamble accordingly. It's best to cover your bases to hope to get that big hit, but in general, the physical, normal retail game holds a lot more weight among the consumers than indie games do right now. Technically there's no real reason that a game in any format is any better or worse than a game on any different form factor, but the cold reality is that is not the case. It's the same reason that mid-tier games struggled this generation. It's about perception and perception is closer to reality than what we would like reality to be.

Yes, but as I said earlier, all mega success stories, retail or digital, are the 'exception.' Most games simply fail to ever hit it big, no matter what the medium. It's a tough-as-shit industry out there.

But the ecosystems have been changing for a while, consumers have radically changed what they want from games in so many ways large and small that it's impossible to quantify properly.

Just look at how many games out there are purely digital, have basically never had a disc-based release, and yet entertain millions upon millions of fans. There's so many I've lost count. We don't tend to view them in the same way, or we'll make our own excuses why they don't count - they're free-to-play, they're mobile, they're exceptions, it's not indie enough, the budget is too large to not be considered "AAA."

But at the end of the day, the road to success is now many roads, and they're all paved to heaven. The right way to success is not an "odds" game in the sense you're talking about it - i.e., if you get a disc release you're 15% more likely to have a success story or something like that - but an ideas game. You need the right idea, and if you have the right idea, it doesn't matter if you're retail or digital, you will have a success. And that's why our focus should be on whether the ideas are sound, whether the games are good, and whether this level of unprecedented variety is not just about the best strategy around to satiate the widest possible group of gamers. And that's why Sony's strategy is brilliant - not only are the satiated the widest variety of gamers with their aggressive push for both indies AND AAA properties, but they're also fielding potential future talent that can provide exclusives for them and later lead to the foundations that make those multi-million sellers, whether they're retail or digital.

I agree with this in theory. But like I said before, and I think I'll make it more clear at the end where I'm coming from, what should be true, isn't always true. One reason I'm platform agnostic is so I don't deal with the crap and nuances of different consoles or platforms. Buying them all just frees me up to buy the best games out there. So I'm right there with you that the form factor should not determine or hinder the game.

Assault Android Cactus, demo on Steam and Early access since yesterday. FORM FACTOR does not hinder that game, goddamn is it ever amazing.

Well to me they came off as a Journey level style game, not a full retail disc. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got. They felt like smaller games that are just bigger budget indie games. Nothing wrong with that, but what I felt they should have done was have just at least one announcement or tease of something to expect after Infamous. Something that just tells me there isn't going to be a drought after February.

Well Journey cost a lot of money, so I guess you're officially saying that AAA now just basically means whatever is retail? Apologies if my interpretation is incorrect, but that's what it seems like. And to me that doesn't ring like a true definition of "AAA", considering how long gamers were segmenting game qualities based on their "AAA" status well before digital gaming even became the "it" thing. So I think we need to modify our views on what AAA means, and accept that digital games can be AAA as well. If we do view it in that way, then we can say games like Journey are AAA and indie, or a game like Rime which has a major budget and high level of talent they're bringing in (*swoon* Akira Yamaoka) is certainly AAA whether it has a disc release or not.

This makes a lot more sense to me than segmenting it the way we do.

I felt Gamescom wasn't balanced to me though. It was too one sided which is why many people didn't like the presentation. Let me elaborate and maybe this will help clear my stance up.

- I'm not saying Sony shouldn't put effort or focus on Indie games.
- I'm not saying that many of the games didn't look good or can't be great experiences.
- I think it's a great strategy to invest on games on all fronts and all types because you never know where that break out hit can come from and it helps with the diversity of games in your library.
- I agree with you that indies of today could be the AAA of tomorrow
- I agree that Indie games are important

So far so good... ;)

So on a personal level, I'm right there with you about Indie games. Had this been a topic about why you should look at Indie games more, or why Indie games are important, or why it's good for Sony to invest supporting Indie games, I think I'd be more in agreement. From an overall internal strategy, it's something they should be doing.

However, and maybe it's just the wording you use, this topic was about Sony's Gamescom strategy and I felt their strategy, which hits more of a public eye, was not the best way to go. The public doesn't weigh the importance of Indie games over retail ones. Retail ones have a much better presence and importance to those people. By focusing on pretty much Indie games, you excluded them. From a perception and business strategy, I felt they didn't best utilize the stage.

The public actually doesn't care to make the distinction at all; only we hardcore gamers seem to. In fact, if you were to ask the public whether they'd rather download a game to their phone digitally or buy a console game, most these days would say they'd rather the digital game.

More amongst the public would be excited about a game like Minecraft then they would be about virtually any of the AAA games releasing on XBO and PS4 this fall.

What you're basically saying is it comes down to marketing, since retail games definitively do usually have more marketing (which I hope changes some day). And if that's how we're looking at it strategically, I'd say it's a huge mistake. Because Sony's Gamescom wasn't about that "ONE BIG HUGE GAME" - they already showed a bunch of those - it was about demonstrating that healthy ecosystem with a massive amount of gaming variety and a nod to the smaller development community who actually needs the exposure. You know, like marketing ;)

And unlike you, I don't think any potential customer cares one iota that Rime or Shadow of the Beast may or may not be retail games. I think if they were potential customers and they did happen to see those, they'd be judging them squarely based off whether they meet those tastes or not. Since they have major budgets and big talent, I'd say the distinction is blurring more and more every day.

I honestly think Sony is gearing up to buying a good many of these indie developers to further diversify their studios as well as trying to reignite the mid-tier game that made the 6th console generation so goddamn amazing. Seriously, back when Sony bought Guerilla Games in 2005, just about EVERYONE thought they were batshit fucking insane considering how poor the first Killzone title and Shellshock: Nam '67 were received, critically. Now look where we are, eight years later. They aren't called Guerilla Gods for nothing.

That's what Sony is doing. They are, quite literally, investing and building up their future AAA and Mid-Tier First Party studios, either for late this gen (depending on when they make their purchase) or for the 9th gen in 2020 and beyond. It's actually quite brilliant. You're finding and building up talent in the most unlikeliest of places, giving fresh ideas to an industry that desperately needs to to go away from business practices that have become common place, giving financial and job security to said purchased talent, as well as having a studio that can create unique experiences with very little micromanaging (evidence with TLG being in development hell for almost 7 years to the day) where Sony doesn't pull a MS where they neuter their own teams like they did with Rare.

It's literally a win-win-win-win for everyone involved.

I hope you are right. Sony lost some studios in recent years so they need to replace the ones they lost.

Bundy

Banned
I hope you are right. Sony lost some studios in recent years so they need to replace the ones they lost.
This is actually not really true, if you compare the "teams" and not the buildings/studios.
Zipper Interactive, Studio Liverpool and BigBigStudios are gone.
Naughty Dog got a second team, Guerrilla Games got a second team, SONY Santa Monica got a second team and is currently buildung a third (!) team with Cory Barlog, SCE Japan Studio got bigger and Media Molecule got a second team. Quantic Dream will follow soon, as it seems (as soon as their third and last game comes out, which is a PS4 game)

Amir0x

Banned
This is actually not really true, if you compare the "teams" and not the buildings/studios.
Zipper Interactive, Studio Liverpool and BigBigStudios are gone.
Naughty Dog got a second team, Guerrilla Games got a second team, SONY Santa Monica got a second team and is currently buildung a third (!) team with Cory Barlog, SCE Japan Studio got bigger and Media Molecule got a second team. Quantic Dream will follow soon, as it seems (as soon as their third and last game comes out, which is a PS4 game)

Media Molecule has a second team?

oh wait, I guess they got a team making Tearaway, and one making the PS4 Move game right?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Is it though? There's been plenty of debate and discussion about it. Now we even have this thread trying to defend that stance. I don't think it's a personal interpretation at all.

If it is objective, show the data...

So you hope indie games drop out of the spotlight soon, but you also hope the indie strategy turns into more dev muscle for Sony? Your last two posts don't line up. I seem to recall you also said 2D games shouldn't be developed anymore in a Galak-Z thread.

Why would you want less diversity in games? It's not like you aren't going to be able to shoot dudes in the face any more. I assure you there will plenty of shooting dudes in the face games in coming years.

Bundy

Banned
Media Molecule has a second team?

oh wait, I guess they got a team making Tearaway, and one making the PS4 Move game right?
Right! I heard the team around Tearaway is around max. 30 people.
And then there is the main team behind the PS4 game.

I've noticed a lot of really toxic sentiment towards indie games this past year or so all over the place and I just can't understand where it comes from.

Was this ill feeling towards independent game creators so common before Sony started giving them a bit of spotlight?

EmptySpace wants to know why no one is talking about this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3EENoDfu0g

Every time I read your posts, I hear them in my head in a Duffman voice.

BigDug13

I've noticed a lot of really toxic sentiment towards indie games this past year or so all over the place and I just can't understand where it comes from.

Was this ill feeling towards independent game creators so common before Sony started giving them a bit of spotlight?

Every time I read your posts, I hear them in my head in a Duffman voice.

I think a lot of it is salty talk to downplay the effect of having a wider selection of budget titles as unimportant.

Theecliff

Banned
Reminds me a bit of Noby Noby Boy infused with Loco Roco. By the way, where the hell did Loco Roco go? I would've thought that'd be a perfect fit for the PSVita.

I think a lot of it is salty talk to downplay the effect of having a wider selection of budget titles as unimportant.
Exactly. And it's getting a tad ridiculous. There's never really any substantiality to this downplaying other than 'well they're just not big AAA games', in itself suggesting that we're not getting any big AAA games alongside these indie games - which is a load of bollocks. We're getting the big games, and we're getting the small games.

Did all these people have a collective brain aneurysm and forget that one of the biggest and most influential games released this generation started out as a small indie game?
Hint: It's to do with mining.

Who knows. Maybe the zero sum game that characterized Gen 7 mindshare wars, dunno.

Amir0x

Banned

Perhaps some of that is in there, but it's certainly systemic as well. Magazines and websites and even many people on forums like this one continue to perpetuate this idea that we need to segment indies from AAAs in our evaluation of them, and that we must inherently anticipate one more than the other. There's also this idea that strategically, AAA games have better odds of being important for the platform. While that may be true in sheer percentage form, it's also just as true that big hits now come from every corner of the industry, and that it happens so often now that it makes this evaluation largely pointless.

In the end, though, it's not about budgets, it's not about how important a single specific game is. It's about what the combination of all this variety and game quality leads to: a healthy gaming ecosystem, one far healthier than what has come before. And that is the killer app.

Top Bottom