• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's nostalgia strategy: what would be their next steps?

There are three games from the PS1 era I want to see again & remade: Parasite Eve I & II and Thrill Kill.

From the PS2 era: The Fatal Frame games.

PlayerOne

Banned
I pray to both evil and holy,

please..ps4 versions of these:

61RWKK0HVPL._SX385_.jpg

cover-front.jpg

If nothing else, I'd love more ports of JRPGs from the PSX/PS2 days with speed-up options and other "cheats". I don't have any of my old consoles, and man do I love that FF7 PS4 version.

I've never understood the nostalgia for the PS boot screen/sound. Don't laugh, but in the 90s the only time I could play my playstation was in my 1998 GMC van. That's right.

Only during road trips.
On a 7in screen tv on the back of a chair....
With NO sound.

My Sega Genesis and N64 always stayed in our home, so I always heard my SmashBros battles.

Can you imagine? Never knowing what your games sound like? Still loved it anyways, but when I got my PS2 slim in 2006 (age 16), you can bet that baby was chillin in the house! Good times.

SkMask

Neo Member
In most of these cases they are exclusives, at least console/timed/VR exclusives. What do you think are going to be their next steps in this #BuildingTheList direction? Some examples:

• Agent
  • Syphon Filter
  • Medievil
  • Ridge Racer
  • Shenmue HD
  • Onimusha
  • Daytona USA 3
  • Outrun 3
  • Rollcage
  • Tombi
  • Demon's Soul PS4 port
  • Wipeout VR
  • Jet Moto
  • Ridge Racer
  • Wild Arms
  • Spyro
  • Vib-Ribbon
  • Final Fight
  • Devil May Cry
  • Time Crisis VR
  • Silent Hill
  • Legend of Dragoon
  • The Getaway
  • Lemmings
  • Ape Escape
  • Suikoden
  • Folklore
  • Dino Crisis
  • Cool Boarders
The fact you didn't even have SOCOM on this list despite it CRUSHING the #BuildingTheList campaign says a tremendous amount. Do you work for Sony or something? Geez.

Here, have some SOCOM in 2017 Sony Executive...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko64y-cdF9Y

I think Sony's direction seems to be focused on what fans are asking for, so there moves going forward will be to provide, what fans have been asking for...

With that in mind, I think Spyro the Dragon, Crash Team Racing, Socom, more Ratchet and Clank remakes, and Playstation All Stars 2 are potentially on the cards.

notacat

Katamari Damacy for PSVR and PS4 both.

Sometimes I want to listen to crazy music while I grow my katamari rolling up everything I can.

I'm not a fan of the nostalgia strategy. I enjoyed a lot of the originals, but I'm happy to leave them behind and look to the future. The problem with nostalgia is that we often see the world through rose tinted glasses when we look back at old favourites. That's incredibly difficult for remakes to overcome. I feel like a remake of a game as beloved and cherished as FFVII could never live up to expectations. Crash could well have them same problems.

The approach is clearly working for some people, but it's not doing anything for me. I'd rather see new IP then resurrecting long dead stuff like Shadow of the Beast, that was never a particularly good game in the first place.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Buy the Silent Hill IP, and they'd make sure I'd buy every new Sony console as long as I knew there would be SH waiting for me.

Plz Sony. Do it.

KodaRuss

I could go for a Syphon Filter, Medieval, Spyro or Dinocrisis revamp/remake.

I think it is great that Sony is bringing some of these old games back. I believe any of these games would make easy games to market, even if they were brand new which should appeal to young and old playstation owners.

Shin-Ra

Not a SIE property but seeing as Capcom like the partnerships and PlatinumGames has a team in need of some new work, HexaDrive's more likely to be available with Final Fantasy XV mostly wrapped-up now too.

Capcom * PlatinumGames
Ōkami 2
Full-fat console sequel

Capcom * HexaDrive
Ōkami UHD (1080p60 8xMSAA on base PS4, 2160p60 4xMSAA on PS4 Pro)

Epcott

Ghost in the Shell
Jumping Flash
Colony Wars
...all for PSVR

They need more PSVR offerings. What better way to do that than by going into their nostalgia bin.

Vagrant Story, because I need a sequel.

A free to play version of Final Fantasy XI as their F2P killer app (heh yeah right)

Mikey Jr.

Not a SIE property but seeing as Capcom like the partnerships and PlatinumGames has a team in need of some new work, HexaDrive's more likely to be available with Final Fantasy XV mostly wrapped-up now too.

Capcom * PlatinumGames
Ōkami 2
Full-fat console sequel

Capcom * HexaDrive
Ōkami UHD (1080p60 8xMSAA on base PS4, 2160p60 4xMSAA on PS4 Pro)

You are my spirit animal.

I'd love to see them attempt to revive or create a new entry in one of their dormant franchises. people seem really excited about the remakes and remasters, but that's just a cop out to me.

dezzy8

Syphon Filter Reboot. Make it along the lines of Splinter Cell and I'd be hyped as fuck.

Where's the fucking SOCOM remaster Sony?

Mikey Jr.

The 'Zelda-like' is an under-served but popular, well blueprinted game design they could potentially get up and running quickly with Breath of the Wild providing plenty of fresh inspiration.

You don't understand how desperately I want an Okami 2.

If only one of these games could exist, I would take Okami 2 over Half Life 3, Kingdom Hearts 3, Last of Us 2.

Top Bottom