• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Shuhei Yoshida: newly announced product at CES 2014 (VR headset?)

I got to give it to Sony. When it does come to making standards, they are always ahead of the pack pushing some new type of distribution, software, hardware, some weird stuff that's way too abstract. I hope they get that imagination back and start becoming a first than a 5th. I really miss the days of the Sony concept designs.

GYNGA

We know it exists (as hinted by famousmortimer, thuway, even Rushy itself from Evo). It's just a matter of time when it gets announced I believe.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
In the PDF they are transparent lenses with head mounted second camera. So not like previous head mounted displays, more like Google Glasses.

They refer to the 'lenses' as something like active liquid crystal display that can be made opaque or see through (or partially see through) depending on a charge applied to them. They're not glasses lenses as such, but screens that can be made transparent (partially or fully).

The other 'HMD patents' from SCEE also mention this kind of stuff, in talking about possibilities for obstacle avoidance or alert (i.e making the environment visible through the HMD by activating the liquid crystal shutter to let light through if something in the environment needs the user's attention). The application there arises precisely because it's talking about an immersive VR HMD (and not a Google Glass style device), and it might be desirable to have some way to bring the environment back into view if there's a hazard in proximity to the player or whatever while playing some immersive VR game.

We'll see, it would be nice to have AR, but if it is included, it won't be like Google Glass I don't think. It'd be a second use alongside VR.

Only five more days to see if Shu was blowing hot air. Hope it's something cool though.

He teased nothing, tbh. My read is that he was just joking with the editor about getting 'famous' by being in widely distributed CES pictures or memes using some new product - but not some specific product of SCE's. SCE never announces anything much at CES.

UF_C

Banned
I was thinking of walking the CES floor tomorrow but its such a difficult show to navigate with only a day to take it all in. Might just seek out the Sony booth and then whatever else I see is gravy.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
He teased nothing, tbh. My read is that he was just joking with the editor about getting 'famous' by being in widely distributed CES pictures or memes using some new product - but not some specific product of SCE's. SCE never announces anything much at CES.

The ONLY reason I think we might get some info is because Kaz is doing the keynote. Don't get too excited for game info, just maybe some solid info on the device itself.

They refer to the 'lenses' as something like active liquid crystal display that can be made opaque or see through (or partially see through) depending on a charge applied to them. They're not glasses lenses as such, but screens that can be made transparent (partially or fully).

The other 'HMD patents' from SCEE also mention this kind of stuff, in talking about possibilities for obstacle avoidance or alert (i.e making the environment visible through the HMD by activating the liquid crystal shutter to let light through if something in the environment needs the user's attention). The application there arises precisely because it's talking about an immersive VR HMD (and not a Google Glass style device), and it might be desirable to have some way to bring the environment back into view if there's a hazard in proximity to the player or whatever while playing some immersive VR game.

We'll see, it would be nice to have AR, but if it is included, it won't be like Google Glass I don't think. It'd be a second use alongside VR.

Just to be clear, the pictures and text are implying transparent OLED with a LCD outer layer. Transparent OLED is what one version of Google Glasses uses. You have the option of blocking external light in the area you want text or images similar to the TV black boxes when displaying closed caption. The pictures and text also mention a head mounted camera with "Move tracking" allowing an accurate overlay but blocking the light from the move (lit) bulb with the LCD screen and displaying a flame over the blacked out first LCD screen.

images

There are lots of technical issues that had to be solved if the Transparent OLED screen is close to the eye.

This overlay of small objects reduces the video & GPU overhead that non-transparent Head mounted glasses have when doing VR. It likely can also allow full screen video by blacking out the whole LCD screen. The other patent for avoiding hitting external objects would apply in that case.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-research-3d-oled-kinect,14914.html

Varth

Yes I do believe it exists, but I just don't know if they already want to show it.

I think I remember that Sony was already preparing to unveil the technology at TGS, but in the end they choose not to over concerns regarding the market positioning of the item, whether it was a good idea or not to tie hands and feet the console to this thing. That, and content providing. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if Driveclub delay was also tied to this. I also would expect some Destiny and Witness (and Outlast, that also kinda disappeared? Lotsa shit would come out of that).

Also, I'm starting to think it's gonna be some sort of curved display. Seems like a recurring theme of the upcoming CES, and seems like a great fit for a VR display of some sort.

I love the hype too, but last year I was in a permanent state of overhype due to nextgen, I need a brake ;)

nothing_stops_this_train-9763.gif

V_Ben

Banned
Augmented reality through glasses is the thing that sells PlayStation Move. Partner with EA to integrate it in to Battlefront for Lightsaber duels. 2 people wearing glasses wielding a move controller, as the floor falls away around them to reveal lava? While they duel in a living room. Outstanding.

Perkel

Banned
Dual spheric 4k OLED displays with 280 field of view for each eye
Connected via wireless HDMI
200g of weight
12h battery life

One can dream

Jburton

Banned
Augmented reality through glasses is the thing that sells PlayStation Move. Partner with EA to integrate it in to Battlefront for Lightsaber duels. 2 people wearing glasses wielding a move controller, as the floor falls away around them to reveal lava? While they duel in a living room. Outstanding.

And we have a winner!

This sounds a unique, different and less intensive but awesome idea.

Do this Sony!

Man

The Witness, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and new Media Molecule IP to launch with PS4 VR HMD. #believe

If they don't show it at their presser then We won't likely see this thing until Summer

We all know it exists it is just a matter of when they will show it

this kind of thing always sound cooler than it actually is, I mean, what will happen when you clashs light saber, it's not like there's actual sword blocking your sword swing.... :(

DieH@rd

Banned
Well it would make the head movement tracking a hell of a lot more accurate wouldn't it?

Yes. PS4 camera is perfect for tracking because of its high framerate modes:
1280×800 pixels @ 60 Hz
640×400 pixels @ 120 Hz
320×192 pixels @ 240 Hz

PS Move was extremley accurate, and it was tracked by 320×240@120hz on PS3 Eye camera.

glaurung

1280×800 pixels @ 60 Hz
640×400 pixels @ 120 Hz
320×192 pixels @ 240 Hz

PS Move was extremley accurate, and it was tracked by 320×240@120hz on PS3 Eye camera.
Reading this kind of makes me want Tumble 2 for the PS4. Crisper graphics and better physics. Not that the original had anything missing in that department.

There are no Move supported games out on PS4 yet, are there?

satam55

Banned
I don't understand why they would require the PS4 Eye on PS4.

It would just make the product more limiting price wise.

Well it would make the head movement tracking a hell of a lot more accurate wouldn't it?

1280×800 pixels @ 60 Hz
640×400 pixels @ 120 Hz
320×192 pixels @ 240 Hz

Wouldn't the PS4 Eye Camera doing the head tracking also reduce the price of of the headset?

Afrikan

People really shouldn't get their hopes up for any announcement of this sort next week.

you can't just write something like this man... just a few extra words would help.

for example.

"I've heard"
or
"IMO"
or
"my sources say"
or
"remember other rumored announcements?"

DieH@rd

Banned
I am not expecting VR unveil at CES. Chances are better that they will leave it for GDC in March or E3 in June.

Wouldn't the PS4 Eye Camera doing the head tracking also reduce the price of of the headset?

Yes, tracking would be achieved in similar manner as PS3 + PSMove. Just stick few bright LED spots on headset [TrackIR, OpenIR], and 3D positional tracking will be easy. It will drain little of PS4 resources, but headset will remain cheap.

However, Sony posted patent that talks about cameras placed on the headset being used for not only head position tracking but for detecting and showcasing nearby objects as 3D rendering [real or stylized] inside game engine that player is viewing. That could be used not only for AR, but also to showcase users where are "danger spots" so that she can take care himself when the game action is running hot.

If they include cameras on headset, then the price [and weight] will go up.

Good, I hope they do this, that way Oculus can get off their butts and get us a real release date instead of a tentative one.

Bookoo

I would probably get the Sony one, but I am more interested in Oculus because it will probably get much better support.

Nags

Banned
you can't just write something like this man... just a few extra words would help.

for example.

"I've heard"
or
"IMO"
or
"my sources say"
or
"remember other rumored announcements?"

Not if I want to get banned!
I did not mean for that comment to come off as having some inside info. I have history at a few companies but haven't worked in games for a few years now.
Just saying the signs really point to nothing like that revealing at CES this year from Sony.

Seems like they always have some sort of HMD for like movies. At least the past couple years I went. Not VR though. I would be legitimately surprised if they show any prototype.

Angelcurio

If my memory serves me right, i think that 1 or 2 years after that trailer was shown, someone asked a Sony representative, think it was Phill Harrison, about Eyedentify, and he didn't even know what game was that. Someone later mentioned that some of the titles shown during the PS3 reveal were prototypes and not actual games, so they were never even mentioned again.

Edit: I just found the quote, it's from an IGN article:

"I called up some friends at Sony to see if they knew what's up and the scary part? Nobody there even remembered what the hell Eyedentify was, nor did they remember the trailer from two years ago. If it makes you feel any better, though, that doesn't mean that the game is cancelled. As one of our pals over there said, "If it's coming out of the Japanese studio then we wouldn't find out much about it until it's time to lift the veil.""

http://ps3.ign.com/mail/2007-06-01.html

BD1

Banned
The problem with a PS4 VR headset is that its ultimately doomed by the tried-and-trued "can't split the user base" dilemma faced by third parties. The list of developers who will support a peripheral is a short one, especially in today's gaming industry. I'm sure there will games that take advantage, but it won't reach its full potential.

I think VR is awesome tech and has a big future in the home console world, but I think platform holders need to build the entire box around the concept to make it really successful.

The problem with a PS4 VR headset is that its ultimately doomed by the tried-and-trued "can't split the user base" dilemma faced by third parties. The list of developers who will support a peripheral is a short one, especially in today's gaming industry. I'm sure there will games that take advantage, but it won't reach its full potential.

I think VR is awesome tech and has a big future in the home console world, but I think platform holders need to build the entire box around the concept to make it really successful.
I think that's a myth started by MS to excuse the lack of adoption for Kinect 1, and justify the forced bundling of Kinect 2. Rumble saw plenty of dev support before it became a standard feature, as did dual-analog controls. Even Move saw fairly healthy adoption among devs, despite the fact it was the least popular accessory for the least popular console. The facts is, good technologies are adopted and bad technologies are ignored, period.

Granted, we may not see a ton of VR-only games — not even sure what that would be — but I think we'll see a good number of devs support VR in their otherwise-normal games. CoD and Driveclub will work just fine in VR; the former just needs to support an alternate control scheme.

Man, if the PS4 VR solution actually does end up being like oculus where your entire field of vision is a videogame then god damn! I'm gonna have to buy the add on instantly no hesitation. It sounds like such a new and exciting experience.

Top Bottom