• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Shuhei Yoshida: newly announced product at CES 2014 (VR headset?)

S¡mon

Banned
Delete when already posted.
Delete when not news-worthy.

See the conversation below. Yoshida could be talking about a VR headset.

Orrrr they could simply be talking about PR pictures.

Ork2tGk.png

B.O.O.M

See you on a photo of you taking a photo of someone else taking a photo of a product we make..that might take photos

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I keep thinking its gonna end up being something super minor. Maybe PSeye related on PS4? Would LOVE to see Sony do the full VR though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think he's just joking with Scott Lowe about being in press photos of events that get plastered into articles about stuff like CES.

Sony basically never announces new game hardware - or even game product in general? - at CES.

vcc

Hmm, I keep thinking its gonna end up being something super minor. Maybe PSeye related on PS4? Would LOVE to see Sony do the full VR though.

It might be Sony hedging; If the Oculus takes off they can claim 'me too' just like the PSeye. A reasonably useful PS4 Camera blunts some of the edge Kinect could give and a reasonably useful Sony VR could blunt the effect of Oculus is it became a XB1 feature. I think it's unlikely it could be as good as the Oculus but Sony problably thinks it's cheaper getting 80% of the way there rather than licence the Rift.

Corto

It would be a nice event to unveil it. Though this headset will work with the PS4 I'm sure it will be targeted for an expanded audience/use. CES is the best place to reveal such a product. I'm praying for a killer price, PS4 style.

Possum

I want to experience Driveclub in full 1080p 60fps glory on a VR headset.

I'm prepared to be disappointed, however.

hmmmm, being a doubter here.

I think Shu is just referring to Lowe being in a PR photo for new products, not necessarily a VR product.

I've been playing around with Sony's new mirrorless full-frame DSLR, the Alpha a7 seeing if I'd want to have it as a backup when I need something smaller, lighter, and less noticeable than my Canons.

All I can say is, if the OLED used for the eyepiece viewfinder in that camera is indicative of what Sony is planning to use in a VR headset...that thing will be simply awesome. The eyepiece of the a7 turned me from a total skeptic about electronic viewfinders for serious photography into a total believer. It's gorgeous, feels instantaneous, and is a joy to work with.

Corto

I want to experience Driveclub in full 1080p 60fps glory on a VR headset.

I'm prepared to be disappointed, however.

Driveclub is not yet confirmed to be 60 fps on the PS4 in the first place. To render that on a VR headset will be more demanding/impossible.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It might be Sony hedging; If the Oculus takes off they can claim 'me too' just like the PSeye. A reasonably useful PS4 Camera blunts some of the edge Kinect could give and a reasonably useful Sony VR could blunt the effect of Oculus is it became a XB1 feature. I think it's unlikely it could be as good as the Oculus but Sony problably thinks it's cheaper getting 80% of the way there rather than licence the Rift.

Yeah, I don't see myself ever getting a VR headset that isn't occulus branding, but it'd be a huge deal if Sony was releasing a similar product. All those unity games and weird shit would be on PS4 overnight.

Reallink

I've been playing around with Sony's new mirrorless full-frame DSLR, the Alpha a7 seeing if I'd want to have it as a backup when I need something smaller, lighter, and less noticeable than my Canons.

All I can say is, if the OLED used for the eyepiece viewfinder in that camera is indicative of what Sony is planning to use in a VR headset...that thing will be simply awesome.

You just described their HMZ head mounted display line. They been using 2 of those Micro display OLED view finders since 2011.

UrbanRats

Given the amount of support and tinkering that the Rift is getting, can Sony really bring something of value to the VR table? (aside from competition, which in itself is good, don't get me wrong).

Rootbeer

Banned
Every ecosystem has its own box, own set of cables, own gamepad, and soon, its own VR headset. My livingroom is feeling mighty full already. I want VR but it's a shame the dream of the Oculus Rift working on everything never came to be.

vivftp

How about, Microsd adaptor for Vita.

lol, no. I highly doubt Sony wants to give up all that extra money they're making from selling memory cards. Anyways, if they had wanted to put micro SD cards on Vita, they'd have done it on the recent slim refresh.

CES is only 3 weeks away! Can't wait to see what they've got. From what I can gather there's this mysterious Playstation device, new small tablet based off the Xperia Z Ultra, the international version of the Xperia Z1f and no doubt a new selection of TVs. Still hopeful for Crystal LED

So, If Sony genuinely gets VR out the door, can we expect That Wii audience that got lost to come back?

Think about it: Virtual Reality Tourism will be the new Wii Fit.

It could be a glorified tech demo, but it will sell insanely. Old people who are disabled, poor people who can't afford trips... science projects that take you inside the human body, or to space. It will be insane.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
lol, no. I highly doubt Sony wants to give up all that extra money they're making from selling memory cards. Anyways, if they had wanted to put micro SD cards on Vita, they'd have done it on the recent slim refresh.

Thats the joke! It'd be too nice!

So, If Sony genuinely gets VR out the door, can we expect That Wii audience that got lost to come back?
Nah. Nope.
It could be a glorified tech demo, but it will sell insanely. Old people who are disabled, poor people who can't afford trips... science projects that take you inside the human body, or to space. It will be insane.
This is highly highly likely but its gonna be like a decade.

vivftp

It will intrigue many, but the price will be the big factor. I'm doubtful the entire Wii audience would jump on board even if it is absolutely amazing simply because the entrance fee involves not only the PS4 but the VR device itself.

Personally, so long as it doesn't cost more than $500, I'll be there day one.

hawk2025

Oculus support or bust. We don't need no 30 different techs here.

Technology evolves faster when there's competition and what we call "leapfrogging" of the product tech.

Proper VR is still in its infancy. It is not time yet to standardize.

meanspartan

Is the Ps4 really powerful enough to power a good VR headset?

I am kind of ignorant of these things, but from what I understand it will take a beefy GPU to power the Oculus rift at acceptable framerates, right?

So I am not sure how this will work.

Top Bottom