• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Blazer Trilogy

Celine

GASa1.jpg

I am a huge fan of Terranigma and recently I decided to buy the other two game in the loosely tied Quintet RPG trilogy.
Now I'm planning to play through them from Soul Blazer to Terranigma and then try to complete The Grandstream Saga.

zd6J4.jpg

So I would like if other gaffers share what they experienced with those games or maybe join me in a playthrough with them.
Also I would like this thread to be dedicated to Quintet in general, a cult developers not much talked about nowadays probably because they disappeared from the face of Gaia.

-----

While with some difference Soul Blazer,Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma all feature good graphics and sounds for the time and are solid action RPG however what really set them apart from the rest was the sensibility and mood that Quintet infused in them.
Contrary to most "happy" games common in the SNES era, Quintet RPG usually are contain grim and sad moments (the bittersweet ending of Terranigma is a bright example of this).
These "dark" themes is what probably what gained Quintet a cult following.

I love it. Never beat Terranigma (played through a good chunk of the game, at least), but I've gone through Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia multiple times, Illusion of Gaia being my favorite out of them all.

7threst

Terranigma. such a great game! The music is still some of the best on SNES, together with FFVI.
I must admit, I think Illusion of Gaia/Time is the best game in the trilogy.
Still looking for a Terranigma cart. Those are pretty expensive unfortunately :(

eXistor

I still need to find a copy of Soul Blazer, that shit's expensive...it's the only one I haven't played. Terranigma is onme of my all-time favorites though, brilliant stuff.

Jigsaw

Banned
terranigma is the best rpg on the snes,i love it more than ff or chrono

i wonder if they will ever rerelease this gem in some form

Coxy

The Granstream Saga is the only one I own, I've been told this is blasphemy. It's a decent enough game with a fairly unique battle system that got a lot of hate because the graphics were really really bad even back then, has pretty nice anime cut scenes though. Definitely has those surprisingly dark themes for the time though

Aru

Terranigma. such a great game! The music is still some of the best on SNES, together with FFVI.
Still looking for a Terranigma cart. Those are pretty expensive unfortunately :(

Yeah, the overworld music for the Underworld is better than the other overworld tracks.

And this track from Illusion of Gaia/Time is the best from the game, IMO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXX1_Effs_Y

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Ahh, I wish I could play these again. :( I've waxed lyrical on Terranigma enough on this forum, but I really liked Illusion of Gaia too. I want to play both pretty badly now.

Celine

I still need to find a copy of Soul Blazer, that shit's expensive...it's the only one I haven't played. Terranigma is onme of my all-time favorites though, brilliant stuff.
What is really expensive is a PAL Soul Blazer with english text because the game had a decent run only in France and Germany while the only english version available in Europe was a limited print in Scandinavia.

I decided to go with US Soul Blazer + Converter, way more cheaper.

EDIT:
The Granstream Saga is the only one I own, I've been told this is blasphemy. It's a decent enough game with a fairly unique battle system that got a lot of hate because the graphics were really really bad even back then, has pretty nice anime cut scenes though. Definitely has those surprisingly dark themes for the time though
I played a couple of hours of GS.
Just got at the first real dungeon.
Combat is somewhat interesting in this game just not as smooth as on other SNES games.
Also being one of the first fully polygonal action-rpg it hasn't aged that well.
Scenario seems interesting but I can't judge much since I'm just at the beginning.

What is seriously amazing though is the soundtrack.
No wonder since Miyoko Kobayashi and Masanori Hikichi (both worked on the Terranigma OST) were the composers.

Personally I don't include this game in the Soul Blazer lineage because Shade was formed by Koji Yokota (a graphic designer at Quintet) who also was the director in GS.
Tomoyoshi Miyazaki and Masaya Hashimoto didn't have any key role in it.
GS however is notable for Quintet fans because Tomoyoshi Miyazaki worked on the scenario and Terranigma composers did the music.

Celine

S0Be9aZ.jpg

On November 27, 1993 Enix published Gaia Gensōki (ガイア幻想紀) in Japan for the Super Famicom.

The game developed by Quintet would later be distributed by Nintendo in America, Europe and Australia either under the name Illusion of Gaia or Illusion of Time.
Being the game pushed by Nintendo in the west it is no surprise that it was quite popular in those regions, even more than the revered Secret of Mana.

This thread is dedicated to Tomoyoshi Miyazaki, he vanished as mysteriously as Quintet did in early 2000.
1rmz2BK.png

JHNZszd.gif

Developed by
6CH5MCB.jpg

Key members:

LkugjUP.jpg
Moto Hagio (萩尾 望都)
Moto Hagio is a manga artist known as a founding member of the shōjo genre.
She did character design for Illusion of Gaia and as you can see below it is very different (and very shōjo) from the arts american and eurpean players got in their manuals.

KHJtIF8.jpg
Mariko Ōhara (大原まり子)
Mariko Ōhara is a science fiction novelist who was responsible for the story in Illusion of Gaia.

Guw6R3s.jpg
Yasuhiro Kawasaki (川崎康宏)
He is the man behind the excellent original soundtrack in Illusion of Gaia, of which you can listen a few samples below.
His most recent work was the soundtrack of Dokuro for Playstation Vita.

BBdRpF6.jpg
Tomoyashi Miyazaki (宮崎 友好)
For Quintet fans he shouldn't need any description as the man co-founded with Masaya Hashimoto Quintet in the late '80 after they left Nihon Falcom.
He is responsible for the design/scenario of most Quintet games so if you feel strongly nostalgic towards some of their games Miyazaki is probably one of the main responsible for it.

Character design in the various manuals:

Japanese manual
JA2PrHV.jpg

American/European manual
vtoaG2L.jpg

French manual
pHDV6gs.jpg

Music
A few music samples from Illusion of Gaia soundtrack

Returned memory
Title theme
World map
Town theme
Sky garden
Shiwreck theme
Ending theme 1
Ending theme 2
Dark space
Boss battle

Illusion of Gaia World Map
yG926gi.png

Connection with the other Quintet RPG
Turbo the Dog is everywhere (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Robotrek, Terranigma)
ebhs0B1.jpg
SIcdr3G.jpg

bWZer1W.jpg
EzVbA1R.jpg

Beta title screen
eDniERt.png

ZfnkVZs.jpg
Shipment numbers provided by Quintet
ZfnkVZs.jpg

Gaia Gensoki / Illusion of Gaia / Illusion of Time
JP: 200,000
NA: 300,000
EU: 150,000

Bonus
Rare Quintet english interview around 1997 when they were , with Game Arts, one of the most prestigious member of GD-Net:

Japanese interview
tsG69gR.jpg

Some other JIFs:

H9dPhWp.gif

p2ZwTb0.gif

0Wx9tzT.gif

FkiQg6F.gif

lSOXPoe.gif

GIo7LGV.gif

Clan of the Grey Wolf's review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJmn1rhPook
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3r59RgF-4g

Other GAF anniversary thread:
Metroid's 25th anniversary
Secret of Mana's 20th anniversary

This thread was powered by
GASa1.jpg
6VPGQ9s.gif

thomaser

I might have agreed if it weren't for all those missable red gems. You have to find all of them in order to access a hidden stage. It's very easy to miss some of them, and you cannot go back to get them.

I might have agreed if it weren't for all those missable red gems. You have to find all of them in order to access a hidden stage. It's very easy to miss some of them, and you cannot go back to get them.

I spent hours on one save file trying to get that damn fisherman to show up in the right place to get his red gem!

Jigsaw

Banned

yep this was painfull,iirc you even had to be a jerk and betray the escaped slaves to get one of the red gems

but at least the pal version came with this awesome guide so it wasn't much of a problem

Schnei871

Illusion of Gaia was one of my favourite games ever as a kid. Has a special place. So many little quirks and secrets in every town/dungeon you go.

I loved Soul Blazer too. The combat levels will seem dated now but its still extremely satisfying creating each town.

Enjoy them!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
All three games left a large impression upon me. It's been a very long time since I last touched Soul Blazer itself, but I try and set aside some time once every few years to play through Illusion of Gaia/Time & Terranigma. I suppose my fascination for ancient civilizations, mythology, history, and geography helped blossom my love of the games in to complete adoration.

I'm going to gush and start listing some great memories that have stayed with me through both games:

ZUEzy.jpg

- Discovering the "hidden" Itory Village and letting that beautiful song repeat itself over and over, before heading in to the Incan Ruins. I already loved the stories of the Incas during my childhood, so it was pretty awesome to run through some places that "represented" them in an obscure game back when Japanese RPGs weren't that popular.
- Getting on to the Incan gold ship, only to be then cast adrift with nothing but Kara to accompany Will. Some people hate that section but I've always loved it for its change of pace.
- Checking out Neil's place and then visiting the Nazca Plains where you begin to see spirits while this beauty of a track plays.
- Heading up to Sky Garden. For some reason the pretty greenery always reminds me of Bomberman.
- The only cool thing about Mu is its mythological ties represented by an underwater palace (how cool!?) and the name. I used to hate it because those vampires would always kill me and they were shits.
- Ankor Wat! Such awesome music. Shame they couldn't spell it properly.
- That ending music, with Will and Kara standing upon the comet looking down at the blue marble. Whenever I throw it on I have to let it repeat itself several times before I change the tune.

N9gQ8.jpg

- The entire opening. The second half being the best.
- Heading outside of the house you start in for the first time and letting the music wash over you as you marvel at the floating bubbles. I must have spent several hours running around in Crysta doing absolutely nothing just so I could hear the music. Throwing pumpkins in to the river, stirring up the chickens, playing hopscotch with the kids, running laps around the village continuously. Too much time.
- Meeting Yomi for the first time while everyone freezes over mysteriously, only to be yelled at and commanded to head out to the towers. Anyone who didn't feel intimidated in the Underworld, complete with its weird mirrored sky, is lying.
- Resurrecting the continents and then being thrust on to the Overworld despite its barren and empty appearance at first. It was like a brand new game shoved on to your lap.
- For some reason I really love the Ra Tree dungeon. Maybe it's such a welcome change of pace and colour compared to what the Towers were. Having kick ass music probably helped, though no one can dispute those haunting tunes in the Towers.
- Having to tumble through mountains and cliffs to resurrect the birds and grabbing those sharp claws to become the crab version of Spiderman.
- Gaia had Mu, Terranigma has Zue. What a shitfest. I have no reason why I dislike it.
- Heading in to Louran was always cool. Best usage of zombies before they re-exploded in to popularity 15 years later.
- Walking through Norfest Forest and discovering the carbon copy of Crysta.
- Seeing towns everywhere and knowing that your actions later in-game will allow them to expand in to cities. Not only that, but you could pimp an apartment up just for yourself!
- Rescuing Columbus and unlocking ship usage around the globe. Fuck you, Bloody Mary.
- Seeing the (secretly resurrected) Mu again during an exploration, only to sigh at the relief that there are no vampires.
- Killing off old mate Dr Beruga in the labs in Russia and then defeating Dark Gaia, only to experience the bittersweet ending complete with a tiny dash of the Crysta theme kicking in at the very end. Was it all a dream?

But yes, the music helped play a large role in the appreciation and certainly helps the nostalgia boost itself.

Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma are both fantastic. Gaia hits dat nostalgia sweet spot, though. Music is freaking classic too, my present to this thread.

So awesome.

Celine

I loved Soul Blazer too. The combat levels will seem dated now but its still extremely satisfying creating each town.
Yesterday I've played around 3 hours at Soul Blazer for the first time.
I'm at the last section of the second area and I'm positively impressed.

Graphics is nice with some really beautiful background effect (as water in the first dungeon).
SB has catchy music reminescent of Actraiser sometime though the actual quality isn't that great.
IoG and Terranigma used the SNES soundchip much better.

The game itself reminds me of Diablo somewhat.
You need patience (as the Master quickly told you) to dispose the portals and the monster waves however, as Diablo, it is addicting to do so although it is repetitive in nature.

The difference with the Blizzard game and what is probably SB high point is that you usually won't collect the reward after defeating an enemy (except for the gems) but after clearing a portal you can revive a section in the town nearby.
Usually that mean you can get a new reward (weapon, item),open up new quests that can progress you more into the main dungeon of that area or just revive a NPC that won't get you anything but tells a little story (like the reincarnated wife ...)
The scenario writing is varied enough that at each revived NPC you don't know what to expect and the vignettes they created are varied enough and enjoyable.
It reminds me of Dragon Quest vignettes in some ways.

BTW I was "doing it wrong" with the first boss until I realized the center ramp was the correct one to use lol

Schnei871

- That ending music, with Will and Kara standing upon the comet looking down at the blue marble. Whenever I throw it on I have to let it repeat itself several times before I change the tune.

Dat Music... :')

7threst

I just found out the original soundtrack of Terranigma has some tunes also in arranged versions.. I will now spend this whole afternoon listening to the arranged version of the main theme... so good!!!

Celine

Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma are both fantastic. Gaia hits dat nostalgia sweet spot, though. Music is freaking classic too, my present to this thread.
Oh god, that's beautiful.

Even weirder, the working US title for Terranigma/Tenchi Sozo was "Genesis".
PAL name is the weird one in this case (although understable for latin/italian guys).
In japanese Tenchi Sōzō means The Creation of Heaven and Earth that is Genesis.

Also in the prototype of US IoG the title was Soul Blazer: Illusion of Gaia while Terranigma was refered as Illusion of Gaia 2 ingame.

I just found out the original soundtrack of Terranigma has some tunes also in arranged versions.. I will now spend this whole afternoon listening to the arranged version of the main theme... so good!!!
Indeed but I prefer the SPC versions :)

CTLance

I loved Terranigma.

So many great memories. The deer in the cave. Aw man. Or coming back to the animals later on and realising the full extent of what you'd done. Such an atmospheric game.

And the music. Simply amazing.

Obligatory heresy: Disliked the Illusion of Time, never played Soul Blazer.

kswiston

I have never properly played this series. I tried out an emulated version of Terranigma back in the 90s, but never made much progress.

Which if any of these titles are available on Virtual Console (North America)? Illusion of Gaia?

I am not going to pick up a PAL SNES, so I guess my two options are IoG or Soul Blazer.

7threst

I would love the trilogy to be released on one cart for the 3DS actually. These games really make for good portable gaming.

kswiston

I would love the trilogy to be released on one cart for the 3DS actually. These games really make for good portable gaming.

Square Enix needs to lay off of the Final Fantasy and Kingdom hearts prostitution and revive some of their SNES gems. Especially from the Enix side of things.

I would pay full price for a retro collection of the following titles:

ActRaiser 1 + 2
Soul Blazer
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
The 7th Saga
E.V.O: Search for Eden
Robotrek

Celine

I have never properly played this series. I tried out an emulated version of Terranigma back in the 90s, but never made much progress.

Which if any of these titles are available on Virtual Console (North America)? Illusion of Gaia?

I am not going to pick up a PAL SNES, so I guess my two options are IoG or Soul Blazer.
With the exception of Actraiser no Quintet game is available on VC.

The other choice you have is to use a converter but since Terranigma was a very late release it check the frequency so only few of them can play it on an NTSC system like Pro Action Reply 2 or 3 ( from what I've heard never had the need to do it myself).

GSR

Illusion of Gaia was my jam growing up; I don't know how we got ahold of the game, but I played it so much. I would always get stuck somewhere or other, though I finally beat it several years ago.

I played Terranigma for the first time back in 2008 and was shocked at how well it held up. I'd buy a re-release at a high price.

I never did play Soul Blazer or The Grandstream Saga, though.

Instro

IoG and Terranigma are really damn good, I think one of my favorite aspects of both were the settings used for the different areas in the game. Very unique and mysterious. Both had excellent soundtracks as well. Soul Blazer is an ok game, but far overshadowed by the other two.

I never did beat Jewel or w.e his name was in IoG though. I was so mad as a kid when my brother sold the game at a garage sale or something. It's a shame Quintet went out of business/disapeared, I'd love to know where their team went.

BOTEC

I picked up IoG a few months ago as part of my "hidden 16-bit gems" thing I had going at the time. I played it a bit, got up to the floating island where you jump around from top to underside. I heard the positive buzz about this game here, so I figured it had something. I hate to admit it, but I'm not seeing it. The graphics are average at best, sometimes the awkward perspective gets on my nerves, the combat is dull, I find the music unimpressive, and the story is uninteresting (crap translation doesn't help). Is there a moment/twist/reveal where the game becomes a classic? Am I doing it wrong? Do I lack a soul, or was this just a nostalgia/rose tinted glasses/you had to be there kind of game? Help me GAF.

Yuterald

What odd timing, I just started playing Terranigma for my first time just the other week. According to the in-game clock I'm about 13 hours in. I just finished the Castle dungeon (where you had to collect 4 different gems and slot them into photo-realistic face paintings). It was such an incredibly well designed area. Definitely my favorite dungeon so far. I grew up playing RPGs from the SNES era and I've only ever played Illusion of Gaia which I still love. After I finish Terranigma I'm going to run through Soul Blazer since I've never beaten that game either.

7threst

I see Grandstream Saga mentioned multiple times here. Wikipedia tells me it is made by people from Quintet under the Shade name. Is that game worth tracking down? Does it relate to the Soulblazer games somehow?

Ledsen

Yep, Terranigma is one of the best action RPGs of all time. Amazing music+story+the completely unique civilization-building sidequests to further humanity. I will never, ever sell my copy. A GAF:er made this incredible MS Paint drawing of the ending:

terranigma.gif

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Damn you! One of my videogaming goals is to get these 3 gems. It would be amazing to replay them on my SNES. Only rented them as a kid :(

Edit: Wow at the art above. Fantastic :D

Reknoc

Oh man Terranigma is probably my most favourite of all JRPGs. I think it's what gave me my love of settings that evolve with progress.

I recently started going through all 3 (maybe 4) but ended up stopping when I got to Zuu. Of the main 3 I think Illusion is the weakest. Though it does have a surprisingly graphic burning to death scene.

The MC in Soul Blazer having the Actraiser sfx for getting hurt was pretty goofy.

Schnei871

Illusion+of+Gaia+%28U%29+%5B!%5D+0018.png

Looking back on it. Unreal story telling for an SNES game. I can't think of a single other game at the time that did something as powerful and heart warming as this scene...

Top Bottom