• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Blazer Trilogy

eldoon

best game series ever, needs a hd or 3d remake asap
no other games are on this level imo , the boat scenes in gaia , the deer getting eaten in Terranigma stuff like this sticks with you for the rest of your life.

Snookie

My mind is kinda blown. I had no idea there was a third. I thought it was just soul blazer and IoG. I even had the shirt. I'll have to track down this third game now. 20 years later or whatever it is

Ledsen

My mind is kinda blown. I had no idea there was a third. I thought it was just soul blazer and IoG. I even had the shirt. I'll have to track down this third game now. 20 years later or whatever it is

Terranigma is infinitely superior to SB and IoG and one of the best games on the SNES. Only rivaled by the likes of Chrono Trigger. Get it, NOW.

Celine

What odd timing, I just started playing Terranigma for my first time just the other week. According to the in-game clock I'm about 13 hours in. I just finished the Castle dungeon (where you had to collect 4 different gems and slot them into photo-realistic face paintings). It was such an incredibly well designed area. Definitely my favorite dungeon so far. I grew up playing RPGs from the SNES era and I've only ever played Illusion of Gaia which I still love. After I finish Terranigma I'm going to run through Soul Blazer since I've never beaten that game either.
Glad other gaffers are playing them.
Hope you voted "right" in Loire.

Illusion+of+Gaia+%28U%29+%5B!%5D+0018.png

Looking back on it. Unreal story telling for an SNES game. I can't think of a single other game at the time that did something as powerful and heart warming as this scene...
I liked that scene too.

Ok now I need to replay these games, i hope you are happy now
I am Chao, I am.

Will and Kara is still to this very day, the undisputed best video game romance I've ever seen. the writing in that game was just so good. The last line Kara says to Will about "burning his image into her memory" evoked such a strong response in me I nearly cried when I first played the game.

Oh and for me, the ranking is:

Illusion of Gaia/Time (one of my top 3 games ever) > Soul Blazer (music is too good) > Granstream Saga > Terranigma (because of that ending).
Best ending ever :p

Red

Great games. I never fully understood the ending of Illusion of Gaia though, and am assuming that's because I inevitably missed one single red gem each time I reached the end game.

arit

Great games. I never fully understood the ending of Illusion of Gaia though, and am assuming that's because I inevitably missed one single red gem each time I reached the end game.

Didn't they just unlock a Skyblazers-like bonus dungeon?

Red

I don't know. I've never seen it and haven't looked it up. All I know is the ending seems incomplete and I haven't seen all the content. I never understood why the end boss was what it was. A similar ending might be FFIX's "and suddenly, Necron."

Celine

Nice thread coincidence! I've been playing Terranigma and Soul Blazer back to back this past couple of weeks.

I do have one question though: Wouldn't Actraiser be part of the Soul Blazer series as well since it shares more in common with that game than the other two?

Also you could probably include Ys V into this series as well since it's more in the vein of these games than it was with its own series.
Well, I don't think Quintet ever coined the term I was just citing Quintet 3 action rpg on SNES (Shade/Quintet action rpg on PS1The Grandstream Saga and Brightis are kind of unknown and not as good as the SNES games from what I've seen).
You are right tough that there are big connections between Actraiser and Soul Blazer.
Soul Blazer was like an action rpg version of Actraiser.

lol Soul Blazer
but yes a dungeon with SB first boss.

Natetan

enh it doesnt really make that much sense. getting the red jewels doesnt change anything. its not really a soul blazer like level but the boss from the dr leos painting in soul blazer with hard-ish dungeon before him. quite a let down considering how hard it can be to get all 50 gems.

Celine

I just spent a few hours today playing Illusion of Gaia for the first time despite owning it for 10 years or so, as this thread convinced me to finally give it a go. It's so fucking good, it's a great experience to be playing this as a "new" game in this generation and almost 20 years after it first came out.
Feels good read this.

Waiting more impression about the "new" game ;-)

Ahh, now you guys made me look for Soul Blazer. The cartridge must have one of the laziest "artwork" I've seen on a SNES game. I remember going to a video game store as a kid and asking for something similar to Illusion of Time. They showed me Soul Blazer and even let me play the first bit, for some reason I didn't buy it and chose something else. 20 years later and I still regret that decision.

Edit: Bought it.
This too :)

Also,
how the fuck are you supposed to save the ill girl? I never understood how ç_ç
Memory is a bit fuzzy but
you can obtain/buy a medicine in some developed country. Was it China ? Or was China where the sick girl was lain?

Celine

Hardcore Gaming 101 says The Grandstream Saga is connected to the Soul Blazer series (or I remember reading that in one of their articles at one time), but I don't agree. There aren't many similarities between TGS and the other games in the series. (I do, however, like TGS. It's a good, if not great, action RPG. First game soundtrack I ever bought, too.)
Absolutely agree as I said in the first page of this thread.

Third one is best one
for me.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Illusion of Gaia is godly. I also liked Granstream Saga, too bad I forgot how the story goes except for the ending.

Reknoc

Decided to crack on with my playthrough of Terranimga, just beat Zue and Canyon so next up is where one of the more memorable scenes happens.

Jazzem

Really like what I've played of Illusion of Gaia/Time, this thread has got me wanting to pick the cart up and finish it off :DAs has been said, it has some surprisingly strong story moments, not to mention some nice visuals and music. Some of the dungeons are a right headache though, Mu and the one which you can flip upside downcome to mind.

I want to pick up Soul Blazer (which I guess I'd have to get an American copy of) and Terranigma sometime, though the latter certainly isn't cheap :/

big_z

are these games linked to each other in any way?

i've played Illusion of Gaia back in the snes days and loved it. i'm thinking of replaying it but im not sure if i should play soul blazer first, which i've never played.

i've played Terranimga 5-6 years ago and wasnt blown away. imo it doesnt live up to the hype.

Played the game thought emulators (being in the US) and I bought this copy 2 years ago so I can at least play it on a US console.
n0JmU.jpg

I really love the manual too, lots of artworks
Zd7It.jpg

2hqiH.jpg

I also have this <3
q57bK.jpg

Celine

yTkkU.jpg

Speaking of The Grandstream Saga and Shade ,because we know almost nothing about Quintet activity in the last ten years, seems that most western sources track Orphen for PS2 and Mystic Heroes for GC as Shade last games probably because they were the last one to be released in western stores.
However Shade Inc. developed many games in the last few years for WSC,PS2,PSP,Wii and DS that all but two remained confined in Japan.
Most of those are licensed stuff (Digimon, Gunbuster, Hitman Reborn, Beyblade) or subcontract on other companies property like Sakura War 5 and Inazuma Eleven Striker whereas the few original works are mostly cheap budget affairs.

The only Shade game that maybe a gaffer could have played is the Wiiware first person shooter Onslaught (known as MADSECTA in Japan) released worldwide by Hudson.

Credits:
WtANr.jpg

J3uag.jpg

Pcy7n.jpg

tFwrU.jpg

BeDDv.jpg

As many small developer these days Shade seems now focused on mobile games for GREE,Android and ios:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.shade.DGunsSP

Reknoc

I hate bosses that turn into invincible bat swarms in action rpgs. I hate that it's common enough for me to hate it.

Yuterald

Man, the port music in Terranigma is so heavenly. I could get lost in this track forever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43FM-ZzlNKs

I just arrived at the Carnival town in Terranigma and I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do at this point. My Ark is level 25 and I'm able to afford and rock the latest equipment from the towns. Oh, and is it just me or does Arc look exactly like the main character from Arc the Lad II when running around on the world map? Anyway, it's crazy how ambitious this game is. I guess it's that late life cycle system epiphany some developers have. I can't believe this never made it over to NA either.

Oh, and I've also played the shit out of Granstream Saga. Such an awesome early PSone title. So many funny, classic moments in that game; the Ma Oh Mythology talk at the end of the game, the Genocide character exploding scene, etc. That game always made me laugh, hah! I had no idea that Quintet games were related to that game until I read this thread. Pretty crazy, but it makes sense now having thought about it.

Chao

Playing Terranigma again right now. I almost forgot how much I hated "Zue". Thankfully I've completed that section already.

Yuterald

Ahaha I just broke the desert somehow, couldn't get out of it and it just kept scrolling :(

Hah! I broke the game too earlier. During the Canyon dungeon where you have to go rescue the Cub for the Lion family you can run into a game breaking glitch. Since you have to speak to the Cub to proceed you can cause all sorts of trouble with the event scripting. There is a point where the path splits in the dungeon. The Cub walks to one spot, but you can continue exploring the other path without even speaking to the Cub. If you follow this path far enough you will arrive at a falling rock bridge. If you cross it you are permanently stuck on the other side and unable to go back to where the Cub is waiting for you to talk to him. Pretty wild oversight!

Playing Terranigma again right now. I almost forgot how much I hated "Zue". Thankfully I've completed that section already.

That was the first boss I got to where I was like, "Really?". The Zue takes forever to land and you can only take so many licks at him before he flies off again. At that point in the game you are doing so little damage too so I thought the fight was going to last forever. I was shocked when I beat him because it happened so suddenly. I guess he had low HP. =/

Ledsen

Terranigma is a game where 1 level can be the difference between 1 damage per hit and 6 damage per hit. When in doubt, always grind a level.

Reknoc

Hah! I broke the game too earlier. During the Canyon dungeon where you have to go rescue the Cub for the Lion family you can run into a game breaking glitch. Since you have to speak to the Cub to proceed you can cause all sorts of trouble with the event scripting. There is a point where the path splits in the dungeon. The Cub walks to one spot, but you can continue exploring the other path without even speaking to the Cub. If you follow this path far enough you will arrive at a falling rock bridge. If you cross it you are permanently stuck on the other side and unable to go back to where the Cub is waiting for you to talk to him. Pretty wild oversight!

I also ended up doing that, but you can just fall down where the bridge used to be and make your way back. (Actually I forgot where Leim was and ended up advancing without talking to him).

Celine

Ahaha I just broke the desert somehow, couldn't get out of it and it just kept scrolling :(
Just so you know but a nomad in the camp near the desert tells you the correct route to pass the desert.

Since this seems to be a frequent mistake: the game is called The Granstream Saga!
Whoops, my bad.

Terranigma is a game where 1 level can be the difference between 1 damage per hit and 6 damage per hit. When in doubt, always grind a level.
Just like Ys 1&2.
No wonder Hashimoto and Miyazaki worked on those too.

Reknoc

Just so you know but a nomad in the camp near the desert tells you the correct route to pass the desert.

Oh I know, but as I was heading down for the snake formation rocks I was jumping around, which the game didn't like so it decided to break on me.

Man, the port music in Terranigma is so heavenly. I could get lost in this track forever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43FM-ZzlNKs

I just arrived at the Carnival town in Terranigma and I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do at this point. My Ark is level 25 and I'm able to afford and rock the latest equipment from the towns.

Either the mermaid tower (talk to the sailors in port) or the scene with Meilin in the square. I think it's the mermaid tower.

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
Terranigma is one of those games I never got to play back in the day (I live in NTSC-land). Looking at the prices now, it's even worse than Earthbound. I couldn't imagine paying $100+ for a single cartridge.

Looking on Ebay, I see an English NTSC copy of Terranigma. What's the story behind this? I'm assuming it's an unauthorized reproduction made for people like me who never got to play it? Also, the thing is almost $200!
http://tinyurl.com/7qavsvl

Wouldn't PAL be an issue?

It is actually an issue with Terranimga having one of the highest region protections of any snes era game. A lot of earlier games you could just break the tabs off of a US snes and the games would fit and work, and run at 60 fps instead of the pal standard. To get nigma to work you either need to switch mod your snes, adding 2 switches that you would need to toggle every time you start the game, or get a rare adapter that has spots for 2 games to plug in, one that loads the security stuff, and the other that you want to play. Think it was one of the later action replays.

Or you could buy a reproduction from one of the sites that sells them now, but not sure about the legality of that stuff.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Phew, that's the castle beat, Bloody Mary isn't so bad... with a box full of ElecRings.
I remember having issues with that boss using melee and then I figured, "What if I use magic? You know, that thing the game never really forces me to use?"

Turned out that it worked and the boss ended up being a cakewalk. ElecRings are the best.

Jucksalbe said:
I guess without Illusion of Time I still wouldn't know what Angkor Wat or the Nazca lines are. The only thing most other RPGs taught me is a way too deep English vocabulary of anything weapon related, well, and knowledge about every kind of mythical creatures.
I remember finishing Illusion of Time/Gaia, going to the library, and borrowing all the books I could find on these structures. I hadn't had a game fuel an interest like that before. I guess the reason why I'm so fond of that game is because it sparked my interest in games that used real-world settings or history in an alternate-universe sort of fashion... or even used real-world structures as a base for dungeon design.

InfiniDragon said:
Robotrek was also awesome, you too get the above image.
Robotrek is really fun, partially because the robots can be customized a lot (and you can program them to do certain actions in battle), partially because of the item creation system, and partly because of the battle system. I really enjoyed it, though I haven't played it in a while so maybe my opinion might change if I replay it now.

Natetan

this thread got me itching to play these games. I decided on illusion of gaia for now. I love the dungeons in this game, they are so fun. the sky garden with the two sides is such a cool idea.

I think what makes this and soul blazer so fun is the reward you get for defeating all the enemies in the level. It's basically required, but it's really satisfying to beat all the enemies. I think few games really give a good incentive for doing that, and you just feel like it's a hassle. The map in illusion of gaia of where the enemies are is just helpful enough too without showing you and telling you absolutely everything.

My biggest beef with terranigma is that they took out this element and defeating enemies just becomes a chore again, especially since you can grind (which you really can't do in soul blazer/illusion of gaia). I wish they would have kept this element, and I probably would have loved terranigma.

God, I miss Quintet.

Illusion of Gaia is bar-none, one of my favourite games for the SNES. I agree with the above posters who praised it for the story-telling; it blew my mind back in the day. However, it's really the music that stands out for me, as many pieces are chilling and haunting, yet beautiful. The gameplay ain't too bad as well, and it's a very serviceable, if not excellent action-RPG. I loved the three characters, as well as their individual traits and powers. To those bemoaning the lack of clarity regarding Red Gems, there's a walkthrough included in the instruction manual that points out the location of all 50. The bonus is a neat, but not necessary, homage to Soul Blazer.

Illusion of Gaia: Itory, The Hidden Village
Illusion of Gaia: Lola's Melody
Illusion of Gaia: Signs of the Past

I came upon Soul Blazer much later in my gaming career, as I never really saw a copy in the wild, and never knew IOG had a prequel. For many years, I only played it on an emulator, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I was finally lucky enough to come across a complete, boxed copy on eBay, for less than $50! SB doesn't have as many playthroughs from me, but I still enjoy it greatly.

Again, I came across Terranigma much later, and I'm ashamed to admit I've STILL never beaten it. The stars have just never aligned, but I know the high praise it receives, and I played a good chunk of the first 10 hours. In terms of gameplay, it's infinitely superior to its predecessors, but I still prefer the storytelling of IOG.

Finally, I made my way through the Granstream Saga a few years ago, again courtesy of eBay. You can see the influence of Quintet, even if the characters are faceless monstrosities. The storyline also goes from typical jRPG to "what the shit" by the very end. I should really give it another playthrough, just for that. It really suffers from early-PSX-itis: graphcs are blocky, and 3D is just beginning to find its feet. Regardless, it's greatly underappreciated.

Damn, I wish someone would take these properties and give them proper treatment. Port, remake, collection; I'd take all three. It's a crime that Terranigma never made its way to the VC.

Fularu

Banned
It is actually an issue with Terranimga having one of the highest region protections of any snes era game. A lot of earlier games you could just break the tabs off of a US snes and the games would fit and work, and run at 60 fps instead of the pal standard..

This is simply not true, none of my pal launch SNES games work on a US SNES without the use of an adapter (The AD-29)

Bennettt2

Bought Terranigma at a second-hand store (cash converters, anyone remember them?). Also bought Lufia 2 there. Can you imagine how happy I was?

All I can say is the power of Terranigma's ending moved me like no other VG ending has. It had poignancy, hope, epicness, romance, and destiny. It was a satisfying denouement.

An anime adaptation is definitely in order!

Man, it's been a long time since I first played Illusion of Gaia. The opening definitely had a number of hooks; a boy with mysterious powers, a princess on the run from her increasingly mad parents, and that first time you transform into Freedan. The game really touched on themes that didn't seem commonly explored on console games at the time; life, death, sacrifice, reincarnation, madness, creation, relationships, slavery, and the mystical sides of real-life landmarks. It's surprising how much made it through Nitnendo's censors.

I didn't play Terranigma until much later, and I loved it too, particularly when I realized that the world you're reviving is Earth, with allusions to historical figures. Plus, those twists when you revive the "genius" are memorable.

This is simply not true, none of my pal launch SNES games work on a US SNES without the use of an adapter (The AD-29)

Could have sworn that wasn't true for all games, but if you say the launch ones don't work then I guess it isn't. Sorry for the misinformation.

I always hoped newer Zelda titles would copy some do the stuff Terranigma did, but that never happened. A truly great game - helping to build the cities was absolutely one of the most fun parts :)

Fularu

Banned
Could have sworn that wasn't true for all games, but if you say the launch ones don't work then I guess it isn't. Sorry for the misinformation.

All launch (and till FFVI) SFC games would work on a US SNES (as long as you removed the small tabs), this may be where your confusion comes from.

Same goes for the Megadrive/Genesis, all games would work for a while (no matter which region) till they implemented region restrictions (yes, Sega got it right at first then got it backwards).

Celine

So IoG lovers how do you think are the official character arts ?
Like the nice Will and Kara in the western manual ?
Well, nope.
The character design was done by Moto Hagio, a famous shojo mangaka :

CharacterDesigns.jpg

shocking eh.

Reknoc

Trying to get the grand prize in Freedom's lottery before it expands but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen :(

I remember having issues with that boss using melee and then I figured, "What if I use magic? You know, that thing the game never really forces me to use?"

Turned out that it worked and the boss ended up being a cakewalk. ElecRings are the best.

And now to never use them again because magic is slow and cumbersome.

loved Soul Blazer when I was a kid. I always looked at it as a spiritual successor to ActRaiser back in those days (beyond just the same company connection, of course).

I remember Nintendo Power being very literal with Illusion of Gaia being a 'direct sequel' and saying some shit like the warrior (the one with the long blonde hair, armor, sword, etc.) was the actual protagonist from Soul Blazer. I was pumped.
A buddy in my neighborhood rented it and I remember from the little that I played I wasn't impressed. It wasn't enough of a direct sequel to SB for my tastes at the time.

If it went up on VC I'd snatch it up and give it another go now that my expectations are in check. :)

Terranigma I had to go through the process of importing (one of only three games I ever imported: Tobal #1, for the VII demo, Mother 3, and Terranigma).
Fantastic game, but I couldn't help but being a little regretful that I didn't get a chance to experience it when it released. I still appreciate the charm of the SNES and her games, but I know as a kid I would have gone nuts over this one.

Quintet was just so damn unique with their games. Having world-building aspects combined with action and role-playing was just wonderful.

Didn't they make a 'Populous' style game for The Saturn? I recall seeing a couple screens of it in a GAMEFAN, but I can't remember if it ever released or if it was scrapped. Can't even remember the name. :(

I also recall a game they were making for the Playstation called Planet Laika.
Planet_Laika_PS_cover.jpg

Sounded really interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Laika

Top Bottom