• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur Legends [Wii] new screens

Satter

Banned
You know, I'm prefectly happy with GC/XBOX graphics, but game really looks flat. I do hope they polish it up a bit before releasing it.

Linkup

Onimusha still looks better overall(art direction does it) even if the tech(textures and poly count) isn't as good, but various sources have praised the graphics(IGN, 1UP, NP, and someone said EGM?) which throws things out of line. The smooth animation and 60 fps is nice, but I'm here for the co-op, gameplay, and controls which hopefully a lot of wii fans want to try. Hopefully it will start to impress more toward launch(early 2008?) so that people will see it as the first wii action game to actually take advantage of the wiimote.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
maybe i'm crazy, but this is the only wii game i kind of covet. yes, this interests me more than mario galaxy, though i'm sure mario will be the vastly better game. maybe it's because i used to sit in dreamcast soul calibur's free camera modes and dream about an adventure game in this world. zomg siegfried and taki fighting a big dragon

The geometry is not bad (By no means pushing the Wii though) but the real problem is the lack of any kind of lighting, that would really improve the overall quality of the visuals by ten fold!

kevm3

Seriously, what happened to Namco? I thought they were supposed to be graphical powerhouses. I've seen nothing but disappointment from them as of late.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
kevm3 said:
Seriously, what happened to Namco? I thought they were supposed to be graphical powerhouses. I've seen nothing but disappointment from them as of late.

Ace Combat floats my boat. "Bububub its ground textures!"
To that, I reply: "Crash and die!"

The Abominable Snowman said:
So is the Wii PS2 level or Gamecube/Xbox level?

The majority of Third Party games says yes (take Zack and Wiki and Dewy's Adventure outside). Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime III and Smash says NO.

It is an effort problem: simply games like Soul Calibur Legends or RE UC are handled by B team with low budget. This budget is spent overall for the controls and what rest for the appearance is slighty more then zero.

Odrion

Banned
I hate when people say "oh man, gaf is so crabby they hate everything!" when people point out the shitty graphics in shitty games. This game is justifiably terrible.

Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
4y032q8.jpg

fassino.jpg

Rezbit

I agree with the "flat" comments. It's just lacking vibrancy as well. Oh, and some of the textures, particularly in that close up of Astaroth and his big ass axe....blurry, blurry, blurry.

Amir0x

Banned
Shogmaster said:
You can't compare 2 player fighting game in a smallish stage and an adventure beat em up game like this. The scope of the games are enormously different!

Yes! I keep saying this! I'm constantly wondering why people are like "this should look as good as Soul Calibur II did on Gamecube, damn it!"

It's not a 1v1 fighter! :lol

rakka said:
Bullshots...

Quite common really ou have PSP screens at SD resolutions, you have PS3 screens (iirc R&C) at Ultra-HD... etc
Wait these are bullshots?...The ones in Nintendo power looked good. Gah maybe it's just me, I was really looking forward to this game.

jesusraz

There's a a big interview about SCL here: http://www.cubed3.com/news/8163/, if anyone's interested. Other than talking about the game in general, WiiConnect24 and online compatibility is talked about, as is the idea of SC DS, Soul Blade on VC and an upgrade of SC3 for Wii.

Interesting interview, but lots of question-dodging, sadly.

Saoh

Shogmaster said:
You can't compare 2 player fighting game in a smallish stage and an adventure beat em up game like this. The scope of the games are enormously different!

what about RE:UC? supossedly even the backgrounds are 3D. granted the're might be like 4 zombie models, but still those mummies look the same to me.

really, i think there's no excuse... but im not saying the game will look like that when released, there's time to improve, hopefully they will.

GDGF

Soothsayer
jesusraz said:
There's a a big interview about SCL here: http://www.cubed3.com/news/8163/, if anyone's interested. Other than talking about the game in general, WiiConnect24 and online compatibility is talked about, as is the idea of SC DS, Soul Blade on VC and an upgrade of SC3 for Wii.

Interesting interview, but lots of question-dodging, sadly.

Question dodging is right, but still a nice little interview.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Could do with some brighter colors. The art style was better in the regular SC games. Way more vibrant.

GDGF

Soothsayer
One thing that the interview tells me is that if they're still considering features like WiiConnect 24 and online play, then the game is still fairly early in development.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
from what i could tell, its still very much a work in progress. the indoor stage it was very obvious that ivy's posterior was polygon'd out. you could see the base of the mesh. not a good sign, but in the outdoor stage, her butt smoothed out and the textures seemed deeper, only the stage itself was sort of lame. i'm going to withhold judgement on this until the final product. they seem fine with showing off early work in progress shots, so this may turn out fine. i do hope they delay it a few months if it doesnt look so hot. i hate it when devs release something that obviously wasnt done when the deadline came. Red Steel is number one on this list, even though i did like the game. a delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.

rakka

Lobster said:
Oh come on guys you're taking the graphics a bit too far. This looks about on par with Ninja Gaiden(not black)!

No...

SC looks ****ing terrible.

Lighting is non-existent. (see trailers/footage)

RuGalz

rakka said:
No...

SC looks ****ing terrible.

Lighting is non-existent. (see trailers/footage)

So one screenshot of an environment that has heavy over cast = there's no lighting in the game... Ok...

F

Firesprite121984

Unconfirmed Member
There's nothing too bad about these screens but the lighting.

Wouldn't we agree?

It sounds like fun, it looks okay, not great visually, but isn't that like a huge improvement over the majority of Wii releases?

Besides of that, there still is time to improve the lighting, not sure if it's likely or not (it is Namco-Bandai afterall).

Toss Link in their as an unlockable and you've got a million seller.

rakka

RuGalz said:
So one screenshot of an environment that has heavy over cast = there's no lighting in the game... Ok...

No, all the screens even at bullshot resolutions are disappointing.

The game looks flat.

It's even more apparent in the trailer.

RuGalz

Flat, okay since there's no local light from hit sparks or whatever, which I'd be surprised if they don't add it before the game ships unless there's just not enough juice left in Wii having to support 2 players. I'd hardly say lighting is non-existent since there's obviously at least some directional light on the characters.

If this game is put together by the so-called dream team then I weep for namco's future.

And then if this is done by duct-taping the remaining development team of DBD then I only wish namco the best of luck in their future endeavour. Hopefully when the dust is settled there will be some table scraps nintendo left on the market so they dont starve.

rakka

RuGalz said:
Flat, okay since there's no local light from hit sparks or whatever, which I'd be surprised if they don't add it before the game ships unless there's just not enough juice left in Wii having to support 2 players. I'd hardly say lighting is non-existent since there's obviously at least some directional light on the characters.

Maybe non-existent was a bit of an exaggeration. However, as of now there are no signs of decent shadows. (only very faint blurry ones)

And they can't blame it on 60fps, as:

sfaauggc6.jpg

ran at 60 early in the gamecubes life.

rakka said:
Maybe non-existent was a bit of an exaggeration. However, as of now there are no signs of decent shadows. (only very faint blurry ones)

And they can't blame it on 60fps, as:

ran at 60 early in the gamecubes life.

dont compare the greatness that was rare to namco's B team, I beg of you.

rakka

i know it's rare and all, but seriously, namco's ground up effort is unable to match a 6 year old game?

ridiculous.

dream team my ass. :(

Odrion said:
I hate when people say "oh man, gaf is so crabby they hate everything!" when people point out the shitty graphics in shitty games. This game is justifiably terrible.

How do you know the game is shitty? Have you played it.......No you have not. The game is not finished yet and they are still working on the graphics.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Please do not compare this game's visuals to Ninja Gaiden - please don't...

And why does Lizardman look like a inflatable pool crocodile in that last pic?

jarrod

Banned
shots range from okay to terrible really... still waiting to see a newer build in motion though, like NG I think the 60fps will be a worthwhile tradeoff for lighting. Still, the game seems uncomfortably early this far for a Q4 release. :/

Top Bottom