• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Eater , One Piece (Wii) screens

Can't wait for One Piece.
I want to fight Kuma!!

I love Soul Eater a lot and said I would buy the game instantly buuuuuuut...it looks worse than I imagined.

RiZ III

The one piece game has been in development for quite a while now. Wasn't that announced around the time the Wii was announced?

Caj814

RiZ III said:
The one piece game has been in development for quite a while now. Wasn't that announced around the time the Wii was announced?

Thats a different game that go released already

RedBoot

RiZ III said:

The previous game in the series (Unlimited Adventure) already came out, that's probably what you're thinking of.

Unlimited Cruise looks great. I honestly think Unlimited Adventure is one of the best looking Wii games out there simply because it's so colorful, and it's pretty fun as well. I hope we get Cruise over here, but I think Adventure sold pretty poorly. Still, I hold out hope. Besides the obvious reasons (
Brook!
), I'm hoping they improved the gameplay a bit from Adventure.

Looks like Enel has the Spaceys with him in one of the screens. Nice to see them dipping into the coverarcs for content.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Yohohohohohohooo~!

I want to play this one! :)

I kinda like OP:UA (b-day present), but this item collection overload is waaay overkill. :(

If I was into One Piece, I would probably pick up the Wii One Piece games, they look quite polished and seems to have a lot of effort put into it for an anime game.

hirokazu

Soul Eater looks reeeaaally crappy. Stick with your RPGs, Square Enix, you have no skill making anything else. If it's supposed to be an RPG, then... o_0

basik

Anasui Kishibe said:
I came here thinkin of some One Piece spinoff.

a lot of people still think the first game is... I think namco/bandai didnt properly advertise the game to let the fans know its the epic OP adventure game they have been waiting for.
people just assume its a cheap party game like the others...they damaged the series with all those cheap games.

basik

basik said:
I still cant post threads, heres new screens and info on the new One Piece game and a release date of 9/11/08 in japan I think:

warning there are some spoilers about who joins the pirate crew in the anime/manga in some of the pics:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20080723/opuc.htm

can anyone translate the new features?

GAF member Stormbringer translated some of this for us:

I'm not familiar with the manga or the games at all, but I'll try :

- the story begins when Luffy and friends are attacked by a mysterious structure emerging from the sea
- new designs are supervised directly by the original mangaka
- each stage start at the landing point. You're free to go back to your ship (which serves as a base) at any time.
- main starting goals : collect items while fighting minor enemies
- you can trigger missions if you feed some items to the weird little creature called Gaburi that Luffy has with him.
- some bosses will fall from trees as some sort of nuts, which will then turn into a gigantic creature. Once you defeat it, it turns back into a seed, which you can turn into a treasure by feeding it to Gaburi
- feeding Gaburi to make him grow is very important to the plot
- once you clear the stage you're then able to proceed to the next stage, but you can replay the stage you've just cleared as well
- Two new shortcuts systems : a cannon that shoots you from your ship to any island you've visited, as well as a giant slingshoot that allows you to go from the island to your ship.

That's pretty much it.

vanguardian1

basik said:
GAF member Stormbringer translated some of this for us

My thanks to both of you, it sounds like it fixes many of the problems that keep OP:UA from being a great licensed game.

Let's hope it gets brought over (and allows the choice of original japanese voices, that would be cool!). :)

vanguardian1

kairu said:
One Piece looks pretty sweet. I hope it doesn't get destroyed coming stateside. Super Soakers anyone?

It would actually be kinda funny if they changed Sanji's cigarette to a lollipop again. That was so pathetic it was worth a few laughs.

Zoe

Shit! The SE game's about a month away, is anybody planning on picking it up?

After reading the latest chapter, there's a slight chance it may turn out to be canon :(

kairu said:
One Piece looks pretty sweet. I hope it doesn't get destroyed coming stateside. Super Soakers anyone?
Unlimited Adventure turned out fine, mainly because Bandai no longer has to heed 4Kids' ridiculous censors. In fact, they even kept Zoro's name (as opposed to "Zolo").

Unfortunately the first game bombed in America, so Bandai doesn't have plans to localize Cruise for the US.

basik

Aaron Strife said:
Unlimited Adventure turned out fine, mainly because Bandai no longer has to heed 4Kids' ridiculous censors. In fact, they even kept Zoro's name (as opposed to "Zolo").

Unfortunately the first game bombed in America, so Bandai doesn't have plans to localize Cruise for the US.

they didnt advertise it... naruto,bleach, and dbz all had tv ads for their games last year and I think I remember seeing those doing decent.

Pein

Banned
basik said:
they didnt advertise it... naruto,bleach, and dbz all had tv ads for their games last year and I think I remember seeing those doing decent.
all those shows are popular in america that's why they did well, it had nothing to do with advertisements because I remember being bombarded with one piece adds on cartoon network

basik

that banned nintendo site posted a link to a blog for OP cruise with lots of new screenshots & info:

http://ganbarion.jugem.jp/?page=0

20080808_188031.jpg

this pic has a spoiler from recent eps in the anime:
http://ganbarion-pub.img.jugem.jp/20080728_144140.jpg

Arde5643

Parl said:
I must say I'm completely uninterested in this game, but I certainly love how it looks.
Pretty much - I'm not into the whole One Piece story, but this game sports a lovely look.

Needs to be on 360/PS3 utilizing cel-shading on par with Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm and Tales of Vesperia. That's the standard for anime-esque titles, and I wish more series would take advantage of it and not try to make an easy buck on Wii.

Arde5643

TSA said:
Needs to be on 360/PS3 utilizing cel-shading on par with Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm and Tales of Vesperia. That's the standard for anime-esque titles, and I wish more series would take advantage of it and not try to make an easy buck on Wii.
I really don't think this looks like an easy buck on the Wii - if you want an easy buck on the Wii, most publishers will release things like PetZ.

It's not that bad, but as good as some of the One Piece screens look for a Wii title, anime/manga adaptations deserve better in this day and age. No offense, the source material is all about aesthetics/artwork and story, and I'm on the side that believes you can make interactive "anime" at this point. Vesperia and UNS are proof it's almost possible.

Arde5643

TSA said:
It's not that bad, but as good as some of the One Piece screens look for a Wii title, anime/manga adaptations deserve better in this day and age. No offense, the source material is all about aesthetics/artwork and story, and I'm on the side that believes you can make interactive "anime" at this point. Vesperia and UNS are proof it's almost possible.
That's a good thing to want for as gamers, I don't think publishers will generally agree on that though.

The size and state of the current Wii fanbase, especially in Japan, makes it much easier for anime games to be adapted to it than the HD consoles.

vanguardian1

One Piece: Unlimited Cruise
Jump Festa 08 Trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29308.html

I'm not even going to bother comparing the One Piece Wii games to Vesperia or Naruto, since both OP Wii games probably have a budget total less than half of Vesperia or Naruto. :p
That being said, OP:UA is pretty good, almost real good (for a licensed game) except they overdid the collecting part quite a bit. :(

That being said, I sure wish they had the options for Japanese voice-overs with english subtitles! :)

vanguardian1 said:
That being said, I sure wish they had the options for Japanese voice-overs with english subtitles! :)

That is becoming an annoying trend in gaming, actually.

vanguardian1 said:
I'm not even going to bother comparing the One Piece Wii games to Vesperia or Naruto, since both OP Wii games probably have a budget total less than half of Vesperia or Naruto. :p

Ironic since Vesperia and One Piece are both from Namco/Bandai, and I think One Piece has a bigger worldwide fanbase than Tales.

vanguardian1

TSA said:
That is becoming an annoying trend in gaming, actually.

How so? I just prefer the option, that's all.

TSA said:
Ironic since Vesperia and One Piece are both from Namco/Bandai, and I think One Piece has a bigger worldwide fanbase than Tales.
Anime/Manga-wise, yes. Game-wise, no.

vanguardian1 said:
How so? I just prefer the option, that's all.

No, that's the annoying thing - I think I am agreeing with you. I am annoyed they force English dub option with no Japanese dub/English sub option nowadays.

vanguardian1 said:
Anime/Manga-wise, yes. Game-wise, no.

I thought the game was made to cater to the anima/manga fans, especially since this new title is being broken into two parts and is based on the manga's story arc.

vareon

I just saw the trailers for One Piece, and it looks fun. Let's hope they fixed some of the problems in UA (fetch quest, framerates). And an explorable Sunny makes me :D

I don't really understand the episodic nature, though. Does this means it will be shorter than UA and we'll see new characters like (manga spoilers)
Kid, Trafalgar, Kizaru, and the other Supernovas from the recent Arc
in the next episode?

basik

vareon said:
I just saw the trailers for One Piece, and it looks fun. Let's hope they fixed some of the problems in UA (fetch quest, framerates). And an explorable Sunny makes me :D

I don't really understand the episodic nature, though. Does this means it will be shorter than UA and we'll see new characters like (manga spoilers)
Kid, Trafalgar, Kizaru, and the other Supernovas from the recent Arc
in the next episode?

I havent read that far in the magna yet but theres a blog for this game that seems to be like the smash bros dojo with tons of info on it, but its all in japanese:

http://ganbarion.jugem.jp/?page=0

google poorly translated version: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://ganbarion.jugem.jp/?page=0&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=ja&tl=en

basik

20080822_238621.jpg

Release Date / September 11, 2008 episode Release 2 is expected to release winter
Manufacturer's suggested retail price / 6,090 yen (tax included)

basik

one piece cruise is supposed to have come out today...anyone getting it? I'm thinking of importing but need to know how much it can be played without being able to read whats being said.

basik

gameplay vids of OP:UC are starting to hit youtube.

heres kuma some of you asked for, some of the comments say he is the first boss in the game but I'm not sure:

(spoilers from recent eps in the anime)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3wZTpswgfQ

edit: for those who didnt play the first in this game you unlock more moves the more you play and so at the start it looks like you only have a few moves but theres a bunch after you level up.

that guy has a ton of vids of the game but they all have japanese titles so I'm not sure whats in the vids till I watch them.

basik

YES YES YES!

from the banned nintendo site:

Official PR - Namco Bandai Games Europe announces One Piece: Unlimited Cruise game series for Wii

Adventure takes on a new form as leading video games publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe S.A.S. announced today that the popular animated TV series, One Piece™, will make its debut on WiiTM with the forthcoming One PieceTM: Unlimited Cruise series of games. Join Captain Monkey D. Luffy and the rest of the Straw Hat Pirates as they embark on a search for the ultimate treasure in these all new original quests. Combat, mystery, and intrigue await with One Piece: Unlimited Cruise 1 scheduled for release in June 2009, followed by One Piece: Unlimited Cruise 2, scheduled for release in October 2009.

Top Bottom