• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

sephi22

Oh god. JG feels amazing. Just Guarding Astaroth's Bear Fang with Aeon's 4A into Critical Edge or a raw Critical Edge feels surpringly like Third Strike. This is going to be the most hype 3D fighter in tourneys.

Jaxel article is so unsurprisingly horrible.

link?

iNvid02

god damn it i went ahead and ordered this, my pledge of buying no games in 2012 is void

but its not all bad, i have managed to shave 4 games off my backlog, probably finish one more before i get this so its alright

god damn it i went ahead and ordered this, my pledge of buying no games in 2012 is void

but its not all bad, i have managed to shave 4 games off my backlog, probably finish one more before i get this so its alright

This is the first week of new game releases in 2012. :lol

alstein

Glad to see someone else that has sense enough to realize exceedingly large rosters can be a bad thing.

Jaxel article is so unsurprisingly horrible.

Large rosters make sense in some games, where there's less to memorize, like KOF (but KOF with HD combos and longer combos is heading in that direction some). Eventually the end result is you replace character depth with system depth, and then it becomes more about execution.

That said, I do think SC could use some characters. Too many favorites are missing. Talim definitely needed to be added, she's popular for a low tier character. (I don't play Talim, I played Mina, but I'm ok with Mina being gone, I know she isn't popular)

As for Jaxel's article, I think a lot of people don't like them because he turns the sacred cow into hamburgers. I love holy hamburgers with a side of salt.

You can't play arcade mentality to games designed for consoles.

Steaks

By the way the large roster thing is fine in games like Tekken and KoF where the cast is wholly homogenized and the game's flavor is more based around the system mechanics themselves. The roster generally ends up being less diverse mechanically, but it's hardly a bad thing.

You basically have less emphasis on matchups and more on the game itself, which is just a different flavor of game IMO.

Skilletor

I've always been worried about JGs implentation. That video does nothing to alleviate my fears.

At least with parries the risk was that you were pressing forward.

Steaks

I've always been worried about JGs implentation. That video does nothing to alleviate my fears.

At least with parries the risk was that you were pressing forward.

If you've played 3rd Strike at high level, parries are near risk-less when done right.

Steaks

There's always a risk since you actually have to commit yourself. That's the comparison I was drawing.

90% of parries in 3rd Strikes are option selects. I actually think in a game like Soul Calibur where there's more mixups, it's arguably less safe.

I mean, sometimes you go for ballsy parries on wakeup from time to time, but in reality, you're never doing an "unsafe" parry when you're good at 3rd Strike.

Skilletor

90% of parries in 3rd Strikes are option selects. I actually think in a game like Soul Calibur where there's more mixups, it's arguably less safe.

I mean, sometimes you go for ballsy parries on wakeup from time to time, but in reality, you're never doing an "unsafe" parry when you're good at 3rd Strike.

Pressing forward or down = risk
Pressing guard = no risk

JGs are more like just defends, except it seems to give you a parries advantage.

Steaks

Pressing forward or down = risk
Pressing guard = no risk

JGs are more like just defends, except it seems to give you a parries advantage.

What I'm telling you is that in practice, the forward portion mattered little when it actually came to "risk" because no one did anything that made parries risky unless it was a total gamble when played at high level (which people rarely ever took). Do you know how parry traps, empty parries and the million option selects in 3rd Strike work?

"Pressing forward or down = risk
Pressing guard = no risk

JGs are more like just defends, except it seems to give you a parries advantage."

You also have to release guard for it to work, though, don't you?

Steaks

"Pressing forward or down = risk
Pressing guard = no risk

JGs are more like just defends, except it seems to give you a parries advantage."

You also have to release guard for it to work, though, don't you?

From what it looks the window of opportunity is about as small as the forward -> block window is in 3s.

Aeris130

Pressing forward = risk
Pressing guard = no risk

The commitment isn't that you're not blocking (like with parries), it's that you can't block before or after the JG (or it won't come out). You have to press G just when the hit hits and release immediately, if you're too slow/fast, or if the opponent mixes you up with an attack that hits faster/slower than anticipated, you'll get hit.

Steaks

The commitment isn't that you're not blocking (like with parries), it's that you can't block before or after the JG (or it won't come out). You have to press G just when the hit hits and release immediately, if you're too slow/fast, or if the opponent mixes you up with an attack that hits faster/slower than anticipated, you'll get hit.

Yeah, the risk is roughly comparable, it's probably riskier in SC than in 3S because of the sheer amount of mixups and (probably) lack of weird system gimmicks that make parrying more powerful.

This is based off of limited information though, so we'll really know in a day. I can post my analysis on it then.

Skilletor

In this case I'm more worried about what it means for strings than single attacks. I'm worried about seeing things like simple BBs become useless.

This is all theory fighter, but it has been a concern of mine since I heard about JGs.

alstein

In this case I'm more worried about what it means for strings than single attacks. I'm worried about seeing things like simple BBs become useless.

This is all theory fighter, but it has been a concern of mine since I heard about JGs.

You might start seeing B: throw used, or B, 2K.

So i thinking about getting this but have not really played SC much since 2 , is it any better than 4 ?
Man i really did not want to buy another fighter while i still playing KOFXIII and SFxT coming out soon.
Still when it comes to fighting games i can't seem to help my self from buying them.

Aeris130

Yeah, I think some PR commentary mentioned strings as a common situation where JG is useful, since you know the exact timing for the followup. But anything that punishes predictable shit is welcome.

Skilletor

Yeah, I think some PR commentary mentioned strings as a common situation where JG is useful, since you know the exact timing for the followup. But anything that punishes predictable shit is welcome.

Right. I can see the thinking behind JG, in that SC has a history of abusable safe moves. This immediately takes care of that problem.

FinKL

Funny everyone talking about JG, because I was thinking about it on the way to work. I was thinking the game will focus more on single pokes, because like everyone was saying, once you play the game long enough, you should be able to time strings and JG on reaction.

Played it at Best Buy for far longer than I'd like to admit, then went over to a friend's who got in on a WalMart slip-up before they stopped (bastards). This game feels even better upon first getting my hands on it than any Calibur including (what had been my favorite up until yesterday) SCI. There were things I categorically didn't like when I first played every other iteration in terms of the system but this one feels so gooooooooooood.

Despite Mitsurugi losing a good number of moves, his selection of * usable* moves has increased greatly, IMO. I couldn't be any more thrilled with how this game feels. The biggest issue I'm having is that the meter is in an awkward place, not clear enough, and I'm not much of a 2D player so I keep forgetting to look anyways. In time, in time.

Just Guarding is hard enough to do when you know what's coming because the window is sooooooo small. It's akin to Just Impacts in SCIV (I think it might be even stricter). Very few people could consistently pull those off just in practice mode, let alone a real fight. I think we'll see them more as the game's life cycle progresses, but not every other string or anything like that since you have to release guard to make it work. The risk isn't a high as a guard impact, but it's still there. Keep in mind even if you recover fast enough to block, you are still eating guard gauge damage.

Aeris130

Yeah, it's not like strings will go away completely. Plus some strings has multiple finishers to choose from, or you can abort it midway and go for a grab. Or fake them out and follow through with an obvious string that no sane player expects you to use.

SUPARSTARX

JG is rough. I've only gotten it to work like 5 times out of many while trying to do it against the CPU in Quick Battles. Having good reactions is just half of the battle. Need to recognize moves well.

So what you're saying is knowing is the other half?

sPVBF.gif

Tizoc

Gonna get the game tomorrow \m/
I've never played an SC game seriously before, and I don't think I'll be dabbling in CaS anytime soon, so I'll just focus on using the main 20 or so characters.
Who is a good character for a begginer to learn the game?

Skilletor

Gonna get the game tomorrow \m/
I've never played an SC game seriously before, and I don't think I'll be dabbling in CaS anytime soon, so I'll just focus on using the main 20 or so characters.
Who is a good character for a begginer to learn the game?

Mitsurugi. Solid basic character that will help you learn fundamentals of the game.

I know one thing. Once I get this I won't be hogging CaS slots to recreate my favorite characters from other fiction. I made that mistake in IV and filled up my 50 slots rather easily. I couldn't bear to delete them because it took so much time and effort to make most of them.

Top Bottom