• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soundbar vs home cinema sets, now for the definite answer

Rosoboy19

Neo Member
If you want powerful HQ Atmos/DTS-X sound.

You will need....

A capable AVR.
Decent speakers.
A Amp to power the extra speakers.
Wiring and drilling.

This will cost more than most soundbars including the Dragon.
A capable AVR will often have all the amp channels you need built-in. But you are correct about the extra work of wiring and drilling. For me personally the better sound and features are worth a bit of extra work. To each their own.

Rosoboy19

Neo Member
XSX and PC both had issues with audio lag over eARC. I also had weirdness when the audio wasn't always detected on start and took a minute or two for a console to recognize it and us that rather than the TV.

Switching to the audio extractor and all of the problems immediately disappeared.
https://a.co/d/5KbZXcn
Audio lag/sync is one of the key issues that drives me toward a dedicated AVR with hdmi pass through

S0ULZB0URNE

A capable AVR will often have all the amp channels you need built-in. But you are correct about the extra work of wiring and drilling. For me personally the better sound and features are worth a bit of extra work. To each their own.
No it won't.
You can get some that are more capable than others but they cost much more.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
XSX and PC both had issues with audio lag over eARC. I also had weirdness when the audio wasn't always detected on start and took a minute or two for a console to recognize it and us that rather than the TV.

Switching to the audio extractor and all of the problems immediately disappeared.
https://a.co/d/5KbZXcn
Audio lag/sync is one of the key issues that drives me toward a dedicated AVR with hdmi pass through
Instead of eARC I wish TVs would add a 5th dedicated HDMI that serves as audio only. Allow eARC to still work if the user so chooses, but that seems like such an obvious no brainer solution that it's frustrating that no one has considered it. That 5th port would go straight to a receiver similar to audio extractor and would eliminate all eARC issues, wouldn't rely on the TV to support Atmos/DTS:X, yes it would add cost to the TV, but it would be a much better solution and would allow receivers/soundbars to stay relevant for much much longer. It wouldn't need to be a full bandwidth HDMI port either. My receiver is only as good as long as HDMI 2.1 stays relevant.

Last edited:

SScorpio

It's really no different with an AVR over a soundbar in that aspect. You need the device to support what HDMI spec your TV does.

With the audio extractor only the audio side of things is sent to the sound system. In my setup I have an HDMI 2.1 4K 120hz VRR TV, but a soundbar that only supports HDMI 2.0. It seems some devices do better with HDMI-in rather than using ARC/eARC.

Instead of eARC I wish TVs would add a 5th dedicated HDMI that serves as audio only. Allow eARC to still work if the user so chooses, but that seems like such an obvious no brainer solution that it's frustrating that no one has considered it. That 5th port would go straight to a receiver similar to audio extractor and would eliminate all eARC issues, wouldn't rely on the TV to support Atmos/DTS:X, yes it would add cost to the TV, but it would be a much better solution and would allow receivers/soundbars to stay relevant for much much longer. My receiver is only as good as long as HDMI 2.1 stays relevant.
Yes, exactly. That's what the audio extractor is doing. If even handles having HDMI-cec related to audio get directed to the audio only port, so your TV won't mess with what capabilites your set up has. I also wish TVs would work this way, especially since the extractors lagged 6-12 months from with HDMI 2.1 TVs and the game consoles came out.

K' Dash

Your receiver will take in HDMI cables for everything. So the PS5 HDMI cable will need to go into the Sound receiver. The XSX one. The PC cable. Everything has to go through the receiver instead of plugging into the tv. if your TV suppports vrr but your receiver does not, you are not getting vrr.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Thank you.

Schmendrick

Your receiver will take in HDMI cables for everything. So the PS5 HDMI cable will need to go into the Sound receiver. The XSX one. The PC cable. Everything has to go through the receiver instead of plugging into the tv. if your TV suppports vrr but your receiver does not, you are not getting vrr.
Uh no?
HDMI to VRR capable TV, enable passthrough, then use eArc to directly funnel the sound signal to the AVR/Soundbar. That way you get VRR no matter if the AVR/Soundbar supports it and there is no sound lag with passthrough either.
Or am I missing context here (didn`t read the whole thread)?

Last edited:
Since I usually game alone and loathe bothering my wife (or neighbors) I went with a Sony wireless SRS-NS7. Sounds great and latency is very minimal off optical. Anyone else bought one? Way better than headphones in terms of comfort.

Rosoboy19

Neo Member
Neither have close to enough power to power those speakers.
They work fine as long as you use your crossovers with a sub and aren’t trying to pump reference levels of audio. 85db reference average is too high for many people in their living room, 75db is probably a more realistic expectation. If you want reference, then yes you’d probably need higher wattage on the amps (as well as much more expensive speakers).

S0ULZB0URNE

They work fine as long as you use your crossovers with a sub and aren’t trying to pump reference levels of audio. 85db reference average is too high for many people in their living room, 75db is probably a more realistic expectation. If you want reference, then yes you’d probably need higher wattage on the amps (as well as much more expensive speakers).
Why I said a AMP to give them all the juice they need.
I wouldn't recommend less than the $1000 Outlaw 7000X

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Uh no?
HDMI to VRR capable TV, enable passthrough, then use eArc to directly funnel the sound signal to the AVR/Soundbar. That way you get VRR no matter if the AVR/Soundbar supports it and there is no sound lag with passthrough either.
The receiver has to be 100% HDMI 2.1 compliant if you want to pass through it. You can get get VRR/ALLM/4K120 if you run to the TV and use eARC back to receiver, but as myself and others have stated you may get sync issues especially when it comes to Dolby Atmos on Xbox Series X and PC. I never noticed lag when using Atmos on PS5 even with eARC.

For Atmos gaming and movies... a decent to great soundbar with rears is better than any 2.1 setup.
ha, nope.
sound quality > channels.
soundbars have inherent flaws that a discrete system does not. visit a hifi forum for more info.

and better than any 2.1 setup?
very high-end 2.1 setups cost 10s of thousands of dollars or more, and can be massive.
your rinky dink soundbar with wireless dingleberries just isnt going to win.

soundbars are a cheap and convenient alternative to the traditional product.
as with most things in life, "cheap and convenient" should clue you in as to what you're getting.

Schmendrick

The receiver has to be 100% HDMI 2.1 compliant if you want to pass through it. You can get get VRR/ALLM/4K120 if you run to the TV and use eARC back to receiver, but as myself and others have stated you may get sync issues especially when it comes to Dolby Atmos on Xbox Series X and PC. I never noticed lag when using Atmos on PS5 even with eARC.
I can't confirm these sync issues for PS5 and PC which I've had set up like that for years now with an Atmos system. Sometimes when the data stream starts there is a split second scrambling sound until the AVR gets the format right but that's it.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I say you spend money on your speakers and the best subwoofer you can afford and the biggest center channel you can find and you can have them for decades. Then all you need to do is replace your receiver every few years. The only issue is matching your speakers if they are discontinued if you want to expand your setup into Atmos with upfiring and downfiring etc.

S0ULZB0URNE

ha, nope.
soundbars have inherent flaws that a discrete system does not. visit a hifi forum for more info.

very high-end 2.1 setups cost 10s of thousands of dollars or more, and can be massive.

as with most things in life, "cheap and convenient" should clue you in as to what you're getting.
Not for Atmos

SScorpio

ha, nope.

Except this thread is talking about gaming and movies. No matter how accurately your speakers can recreate the original audio, you are still limited to sound coming from two directions and with proper placement and panning you can cover the area between the speakers as well.

But not having rear speakers means you are missing out on a lot, and by adding in height speakers with Atmos, you can create a dome of audio where sound doesn't just come in from 360 degrees around you, but over your head and appearing from the floor. You can get a similar experience for a single person with headphones and binaural playback. but the effect doesn't work the same with regular speakers.

Demigod Mac

Denon X3800H AVR fully decked out with a full speaker 7.4.4 setup. Love this thing, zero regrets.
It does take time to set up an AVR and calibrate, but once you get it tuned the way you like it, pure audio bliss and easy to toggle on anytime.
Also, soundbars ain't automatically the go-to answer for small rooms. Integrating an AVR into a room and minimizing the visibility of speakers/wire is an art as well a science.

Codeblew

I have been apartment living for the past couple of years so soundbar it is for me. They make these walls out of paper these days.

Demigod Mac

I have been apartment living for the past couple of years so soundbar it is for me. They make these walls out of paper these days.
Same - my AVR that has a feature called LFC (Low Frequency Containment). Attenuates bass frequencies that travel through walls which is perfect for late night viewing.
(have not received a single noise complaint). Not all AVRs have the feature however, so check the specs before buying.

ShakenG

Uh no?
I was going to say the exact same thing..
I go Console - Tv (HDMI Passthrough) - Sounbar via eARC. I have zero sound delay and audio gets passed through untouched..
I was surprised by how well it works.

Codeblew

I was going to say the exact same thing..
I go Console - Tv (HDMI Passthrough) - Sounbar via eARC. I have zero sound delay and audio gets passed through untouched..
I was surprised by how well it works.
I used to read a lot of recommendations like ~8 years ago to route the console into the soundbar first and then into the TV via eArc. That is my current setup but I doubt it matters much with current tech.

Denon X3800H AVR fully decked out with a full speaker 7.4.4 setup. Love this thing, zero regrets.
It does take time to set up an AVR and calibrate, but once you get it tuned the way you like it, pure audio bliss and easy to toggle on anytime.
Also, soundbars ain't automatically the go-to answer for small rooms. Integrating an AVR into a room and minimizing the visibility of speakers/wire is an art as well a science.
Nice. Take it you have external amplification as that denon only has 9 discrete amps. You got a dirac licence for it? Im just running audyssey on mine.

Just trying to work out best option for adding 2 heights. Moving my dali fazon sats from surround to mid heights, but trying to decide what surrounds to add and where to put them; choices are dali oberon on wall, MK M50 or some cornered audio c4's. There will be comprises with each option I think as locations are not ideal.

Pedro Motta

ha, nope.

This is ridiculous, there is something called sound saturation from the drivers, with only 2 drivers theres is a physical limit to instrument separation and quality you can achieve, no matter how good or expensive your setup is.

I would dare say Atmos mixes for music really elevate the experience and quality because the instruments are being spread over 16 or more drivers at once, hence no driver gets saturated. You should experience it instead of assuming decades old setups are better.

Last edited:

Demigod Mac

Nice. Take it you have external amplification as that denon only has 9 discrete amps. You got a dirac licence for it? Im just running audyssey on mine.

Just trying to work out best option for adding 2 heights. Moving my dali fazon sats from surround to mid heights, but trying to decide what surrounds to add and where to put them; choices are dali oberon on wall, MK M50 or some cornered audio c4's. There will be comprises with each option I think as locations are not ideal.
Using an AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 amp to power the +2 channels, works pretty well for what it is. (small apartment and trying to keep things in the ~70 dB range to avoid hearing damage)
Haven't purchased Dirac yet - BUT - that may change as they just recently added the bass management feature (finally!)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Using an AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 amp to power the +2 channels, works pretty well for what it is. (small apartment and trying to keep things in the ~70 dB range to avoid hearing damage)
Haven't purchased Dirac yet - BUT - that may change as they just recently added the bass management feature (finally!)
Actually very close to what I just started looking for to help out my nephew setting up his apt at College for his bedroom but needing to also power a sub

Looking at AIYIMA now since hearing its working well for you

Top Bottom