• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soundbar vs home cinema sets, now for the definite answer

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Actually, I can get them, it's not ideal because it's import, so that's gonna be troublesome if I have to return it for whatever reasons, but Ebay is an option and a online that imports from Nakamichi and ships to my country among many others.

Did you mean this one?

https://www.ubuy.co.nl/en/product/4...woofers-wireless-amp-4-rear-surround-speakers

At that store it's significantly under 1500 bucks even. But I'm sure there will be shipping costs.

And Holy shit, these come with two subs? That's insane, lol. This has my attention though, I've seen a lot of praise online about their soundbars. It's actually nonsense to call it a soundbar anymore considering what's in the box.
I have this one:

Stafford

I have this one:

Ah man, had I not lived in a apartment building I would have pulled the trigger. It's about 1300 euros, shipping I'm not sure. But if the Samsung Q990b already was overkill in my living room, I can't imagine what two subs will do, lmao. It would have been perfect for a house where the living room is ground floor, no neighbours below me.

Plus it seems I need some kind of power adapter otherwise it won't work, it's not a huge deal, but it sure is extra hassle. I would assume you can just use one sub if the second one is just too much or doesn't it work like that?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ah man, had I not lived in a apartment building I would have pulled the trigger. It's about 1300 euros, shipping I'm not sure. But if the Samsung Q990b already was overkill in my living room, I can't imagine what two subs will do, lmao. It would have been perfect for a house where the living room is ground floor, no neighbours below me.

Plus it seems I need some kind of power adapter otherwise it won't work, it's not a huge deal, but it sure is extra hassle. I would assume you can just use one sub if the second one is just too much or doesn't it work like that?
The sound is huge, so it may get the police called on you in an apartment building! Not sure if it can be used in single sub mode.

Stafford

The sound is huge, so it may get the police called on you in an apartment building! Not sure if it can be used in single sub mode.

Yeah, damn, can't be having that, haha. If the Sammy already proved to be overkill, this will be waaaay overkill. But Sammy was especially overkill because it was simply too boomy.

I've been googling "best speakers and sub for console gaming" and things like that but I keep getting articles recommending me soundbars or pc speaker setups. I think I'm gonna have to just search for "recommended home cinema setup" because after all it won't only be for gaming, not at all. But I do need to start somewhere. I've noticed that once I start looking at seperate speakers and sub it really becomes overwhelming. It already is with these soundbars but a full blown home cinema setup is a different story.

Last edited:

Laieon

I have a Sony HT-A5000, SW5 sub, and RS5 rears to go with it. Love the sound they produce, the fact that it can use my TV as a center channel, and how extremely easy the whole thing is to setup. It's honestly more than overkill for my apartment, and I can't see myself updating my setup for a very, very long time.

Last edited:

Stafford

I have a Sony HT-A5000, SW5 sub, and RS5 rears to go with it. Love the sound they produce, the fact that it can use my TV as a center channel, and how extremely easy the whole thing is to setup. It's honestly more than overkill for my apartment, and I can't see myself updating my setup for a very, very long time.

I heard that in this thread before how some tv's such as yours and mine can function as center speaker. But mine seems to be via wires to an AVR. How does it work for you and the Soundbar?

I have been looking into the A5000 because it's Sony, I have the A95K, perfect for compatibility. But it's a bummer they don't include rears, and not even a sub. At that point I start looking at bars that do include it for that price.

Last edited:

Laieon

I heard that in this thread before how some tv's such as yours and mine can function as center speaker. But mine seems to be via wires to an AVR. How does it work for you and the Soundbar?

I have been looking into the A5000 because it's Sony, I have the A95K, perfect for compatibility. But it's a bummer they don't include rears.

A wire that goes from the soundbar to an input on the TV.

"S-Speaker In": https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00201071

Stafford

I'm about to pull the plug on maybe three soundbars, solely to test them at home. However, it's gonna be a lot of money and a lot of hassle to have to return all of it, especially when I don't have a car.

It's between

Harman Kardon Citation Multibeam 1100

Philips Fidelio FB1

Philips Fidelio B97

I've been eyeing the HK for a while now, read several reviews, apparently it is the only one that supports VRR. Which would mean I hook up my Xbox to it, I get VRR and I won't have any audio delay with Dolby Atmos, which I definitely will get if I kept the Xbox hooked up to TV.

But when it comes to games, not a ton of games support Atmos, do they? Maybe that will increase now that PS5 also has Atmos support? The thing is though, the Philips Fidelio B97 is only 500 euros now, crazy deal and that's the complete setup. Whereas the HK is 680 euros and that's without a sub and rears. In total the HK would set me back 1300 euros, whereas the Philips is 500 and done.

Anyone here happened to have heard/demoed these? Reasons why I'm very curious about the Philips is because I've seen folks claiming they trump a full Sonos arc setup. Same for HK.

Maybe I'm gonna have to just order them after all otherwise.

Last edited:
I'm about to pull the plug on maybe three soundbars, solely to test them at home. However, it's gonna be a lot of money and a lot of hassle to have to return all of it, especially when I don't have a car.

It's between

Harman Kardon Citation Multibeam 1100

Philips Fidelio FB1

Philips Fidelio B97

I've been eyeing the HK for a while now, read several reviews, apparently it is the only one that supports VRR. Which would mean I hook up my Xbox to it, I get VRR and I won't have any audio delay with Dolby Atmos, which I definitely will get if I kept the Xbox hooked up to TV.

But when it comes to games, not a ton of games support Atmos, do they? Maybe that will increase now that PS5 also has Atmos support? The thing is though, the Philips Fidelio B97 is only 500 euros now, crazy deal and that's the complete setup. Whereas the HK is 680 euros and that's without a sub and rears. In total the HK would set me back 1300 euros, whereas the Philips is 500 and done.

Anyone here happened to have heard/demoed these? Reasons why I'm very curious about the Philips is because I've seen folks claiming they trump a full Sonos arc setup. Same for HK.

Maybe I'm gonna have to just order them after all otherwise.
Have you had a look at the the Sennheiser Ambeo Plus as I'd recommend a demo if you can? You'd be best pairing it with a decent subwoofer, but I've seen people with the Plus and the Max variants without a subwoofer, still very happy with the sound. They are probably the best soundbars for that Dolby Atmos bubble if you don't want rears.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Most mid range AV and speakers will shit all over any sound bar even the ones that cost in the thousands
But you probably end up spending more money on it in the end.
Look around, look at reviews and decide what AV you want and what speakers you gonna buy.
Don't have to go mad with 7.2.4 or anything
You can add that more later.
But it worth it

I did read up on the Ambeo yesterday and it all sounded like a real candidate, until I read there was no option for rears. Such a bummer!
Quite a few owners are holding out in hope for rear speakers, I doubt it'll happen unfortunately. I'm very happy with just the soundbar and subwoofer personally.

Last edited:

Stafford

Quite a few owners are holding out in hope for rear speakers, I doubt it'll happen unfortunately. I'm very happy with just the soundbar and subwoofer personally.

It would have been a super strong candidate because there's a good chance I wouldn't even have needed a sub, not for my room. But man, I do want my surround sound. I want to hear shit happening behind me in RDR2, extra immersion.

It would have been a super strong candidate because there's a good chance I wouldn't even have needed a sub, not for my room. But man, I do want my surround sound. I want to hear shit happening behind me in RDR2, extra immersion.
The Nakamichi Dragon 11.4.6 soundbar is meant to be an absolute beast, but the subwoofers would definitely be over kill for you. There is also a long waiting list for orders.

Soundbars are usually dynamic. I don't like Dynamic.

I don't necessarily value an AVR over a good amp with aux-in either, but that's because I don't need 5:1.

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Most mid range AV and speakers will shit all over any sound bar even the ones that cost in the thousands
Damn right.

You would only get a soundbar if you are space or budget constrained (providing you care about audio of course).

• Strength
Reactions: TGO

Stafford

The Nakamichi Dragon 11.4.6 soundbar is meant to be an absolute beast, but the subwoofers would definitely be over kill for you. There is also a long waiting list for orders.

But that one is like 3000 or something? I definitely would consider Nakamichi if they were sold here too. But importing one with all those extra costs is just not worth it for me. Plus if I get issues, I'd have to return it, which likely wouldn't be free either, a lot of stuff to take into account. I keep hearing how good they are, they should just sell them here too.

But even then, yeah, two subs would be madness here. If the Samsung Q990b already proved to be too much here, haha.

mrmeh

Over the years I have had a succession of soundbars from Philips, Yamaha, LG all premium models and the last one I had was over £1k, I have also had I think 3 different more traditional sound setups with an av receiver and multiple speakers.

All the sound bars I have had have been good ...but I would not say any produced a better sound than any of the surround setups two of which were relatively budget. Soundbars are for you if you don't want the cables/speakers everywhere and are a compromise on quality.

If you do get a soundbar the best are the ones with a sub and that can have rear speakers linked up. My current set up is a low end Denon Av receiver and a modest Wharfdale 5.1 speaker system with some extras added for partial Atmos, this is the best system I have owned.

But that one is like 3000 or something? I definitely would consider Nakamichi if they were sold here too. But importing one with all those extra costs is just not worth it for me. Plus if I get issues, I'd have to return it, which likely wouldn't be free either, a lot of stuff to take into account. I keep hearing how good they are, they should just sell them here too.

But even then, yeah, two subs would be madness here. If the Samsung Q990b already proved to be too much here, haha.
Yeah it can get mad price wise when trying to replicate separate speakers. I managed to get a good deal on my setup, otherwise I'd have been paying similar.

I had a 5.1 setup awhile back, but I couldn't be bothered with all the hassle anymore.

NpAK2cw.png

Last edited:

Stafford

I made some moves, because if not now I might miss out on these because these are part of a sale.

I ordered the Harman Kardon Citation Multibeam 1100 with the rears and the subwoofer S. Should be here tomorrow. I'll test it out all weekend long with many content and next week I'll get the Philips Fidelio B97 and fully test it too.

The Philips normally is in the 1000 and is now 500, so I had to make a move. The "winner" will stay and the "loser" will be returned. Of course there's also a chance I dislike bother, then I'll return it all. Once I do that I'm 100% going the full blown home cinema setup route.

Stafford

Over the years I have had a succession of soundbars from Philips, Yamaha, LG all premium models and the last one I had was over £1k, I have also had I think 3 different more traditional sound setups with an av receiver and multiple speakers.

All the sound bars I have had have been good ...but I would not say any produced a better sound than any of the surround setups two of which were relatively budget. Soundbars are for you if you don't want the cables/speakers everywhere and are a compromise on quality.

If you do get a soundbar the best are the ones with a sub and that can have rear speakers linked up. My current set up is a low end Denon Av receiver and a modest Wharfdale 5.1 speaker system with some extras added for partial Atmos, this is the best system I have owned.

Yeah I've seen Wharfdale during my search, looks good! I've also seen very nice deals for Elac speaker sets, Jamo and others. It's been mostly subs that I thought the price was rather high of. A bit too high for my liking. And it probably is a good idea to test it all out first, maybe I don't even need a sub. Perhaps for my room it's too much.

But that's for later. If I end up returning both soundbars I'm gonna go all in with full blown home cinema.

mrmeh

Yeah I've seen Wharfdale during my search, looks good! I've also seen very nice deals for Elac speaker sets, Jamo and others. It's been mostly subs that I thought the price was rather high of. A bit too high for my liking. And it probably is a good idea to test it all out first, maybe I don't even need a sub. Perhaps for my room it's too much.

But that's for later. If I end up returning both soundbars I'm gonna go all in with full blown home cinema.

You always need a sub(even with a soundbar), its not about loudness, you would be missing part of the sound out, like if you couldn't see a particular colour (Humans are more visual so not as drastic though!)

I have the Warfedale dx2 speaker package and a Denon AVR-X1600H AV Receiver cost me £680 4 years ago. Sonically its better than any of the soundbars but the soundbars were still good.

Stafford

You always need a sub(even with a soundbar), its not about loudness, you would be missing part of the sound out, like if you couldn't see a particular colour (Humans are more visual so not as drastic though!)

I have the Warfedale dx2 speaker package and a Denon AVR-X1600H AV Receiver cost me £680 4 years ago. Sonically its better than any of the soundbars but the soundbars were still good.

I just checked. 581 euros for the whole set, that's pretty damn sweet. I probably would go for the Denon 760h since that has 2.1 support and that's great for especially Xbox that has a audio delay issue with Atmos.

If I end up returning the soundbars i will absolutely strongly consider wharfedale. The only "issue" is that I'd have to buy a completely different AV cabinet since I don't have any space for a center speaker and it can't be under the TV since I'm absolutely not mounting it.

mrmeh

I just checked. 581 euros for the whole set, that's pretty damn sweet. I probably would go for the Denon 760h since that has 2.1 support and that's great for especially Xbox that has a audio delay issue with Atmos.

If I end up returning the soundbars i will absolutely strongly consider wharfedale. The only "issue" is that I'd have to buy a completely different AV cabinet since I don't have any space for a center speaker and it can't be under the TV since I'm absolutely not mounting it.

You still have problem free 5.1 surround without Atmos. Dolby Atmos adds height channels for sound and an auto setting for picture - in practice when I tried it it on my XSX did not improve the picture noticeably on my LG Oled and it has the delay issues.

Space is where soundbars excel, lots of wires and faf with full home cinema systems. Your doing the right thing testing two out and I'm sure one will fit the bill for you.

I had that problem and solved it easily. Raise the tv up with a Sanus tv stand, to accommodate any soundbar or centre speaker. I gave links in your other thread.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Home cinema seems like the better option always, soundbars I think are aimed at people who prefer a smaller formfactor or don't have enough space to install a full home cinema.
This.

Normally I would get a full home theatre setup but I have no space for it so a soundbar was the next best option. I think this is the case for most people.

Sound bars can be very nice especially if you spend a good amount on them, but nothing imo compares to a good 5.1 or 7.1 AVR with speakers whether they are towers are satellites. The main drawback for some people with a full AVR system is the wires and they usually require more space. Sound bars would obviously be a more practical choice if that’s the case then. If you want the most accurate, impactful and immersive sound, I feel nothing will topple an AVR system though. Get a good subwoofer or even 2 if you got the cash and room as well and you’re set.

Last edited:

Stafford

I had that problem and solved it easily. Raise the tv up with a Sanus tv stand, to accommodate any soundbar or centre speaker. I gave links in your other thread.

Yeah, something like this would be ideal. I just need to find someone who can help me with that, lmfao.

But first I shall test these bars. The HK is coming in a few hours now.

Stafford

Ok so I've been testing the Harman Kardon Citation Multibeam 1100 for about an hour, no rears or sub added and I am super impressed with how it sounds. I've tested RDR2, Skyrim, some movie scenes and Holy shit how can only a soundbar produce a bass like this? A sub honestly might just be too much for my room, it certainly isn't needed for gaming.

I haven't watched a full movie yet, so it might be there that I will find out a sub is needed after all, but wow. A few questions...

I have the Xbox connected to my Sony A95K, and the Soundbar via EARC to the TVs eARC. I choose 5.1 uncompressed on Xbox and there is no audio delay at all, which is great. On the Soundbar display it says multi channel pcm when I choose 5.1 uncompressed, which is correct, right? But when I choose Dolby Digital on Xbox it says Dolby Surround, is that right?

When I choose Atmos for non Atmos supported games it says multi channel pcm again. I think that's how it is supposed to be, right?

This bar was said to support VRR but when I connected my Xbox to it with the HDMI cable the X came with I can't select VRR. I assume both cables need to be HDMI 2.1? I think the Xbox cable is, but the HDMI cable from soundbar eARC to TVs eARC likely isn't. Could that be the culprit?

I also noticed that when I have the Xbox directly connected to the bar that it's more laggy compared to when it's connected to the TV. Very odd.

SScorpio

This bar was said to support VRR but when I connected my Xbox to it with the HDMI cable the X came with I can't select VRR. I assume both cables need to be HDMI 2.1? I think the Xbox cable is, but the HDMI cable from soundbar eARC to TVs eARC likely isn't. Could that be the culprit?

I also noticed that when I have the Xbox directly connected to the bar that it's more laggy compared to when it's connected to the TV. Very odd.
I haven't used that model, but in one of the reviews, a negative is no HDR with 4K/120, maybe this was changed in newer firmware. But otherwise, connect your Xbox directly to your TV, and use eARC for audio.

Many TVs only have one other HDMI 2.1 port beyond the eARC port. In that scenario, just spend $45-50 and get one of the HDMI 2.1 switches that are now available.

Brigandier

I use 2.1 with a Denon stereo amp with Tannoy Platinum speakers and a Jamo Sub it's absolutely amazing.

Music and games are so good and it wasn't too expensive for the performance.

Stafford

I haven't used that model, but in one of the reviews, a negative is no HDR with 4K/120, maybe this was changed in newer firmware. But otherwise, connect your Xbox directly to your TV, and use eARC for audio.

Many TVs only have one other HDMI 2.1 port beyond the eARC port. In that scenario, just spend $45-50 and get one of the HDMI 2.1 switches that are now available.

Hmm, I see.

Well, apart from some games (such as A Plague Tale Requiem) where 120hz gives the option to run the game in 40fps I don't use 120hz much. It causes flicker in some games and most of the time I have Xbox set to 60hz.

Yeah,I'm keeping it connected to the TV because 5.1/7.1 uncompressed is the best option for sound anyway, right? And that sounds perfect with no delay.

Have been testing the HK Multibeam 1100 for a few hours now and I am in love, lmao. I had been looking for a soundbar that doesn't need to rely on a subwoofer, and this definitely is it. I find it insane how powerful this bar sounds in terms of bass. I watched some scenes from A Quiet Place 2 and to me it sounded like a sub is built inside the soundbar, that powerful. With any game or movie scene I tested I was like....a sub would just be too much. For me and especially my dog.

I had the Samsung Q990b, I returned it because the sub just was total overkill for my room, too boomy too. What the HK does is it almost sounds like the Samsung with sub, but not boomy and to my ears more pleasant sounding. There's a very strong chance I'm keeping it.

mrmeh

Stafford Stafford Great that you have found something your happy with. I found that connecting devices through the soundbar/amp was always a ballache, always some problems. Connecting everything to the TV and the e/arc to the soundbar/receiver always seemed to work better so if its working for you just keep it like that.

5.1 uncompressed from Xbox is fine.

2000 bucks? Aw hell no. That's just not for me, not willing to shell out that kinda dough for sound.

Owner of an HT-A9 here. Paired with an LG Oled and my XSX + PS5 combo. I moved to this after a 5.1.2 Marantz/Focal set up with upward firing atmos.

To me, it's a surprising system in one way - and one way alone.

Sure, it does a decent job with height effects and spatial audio AND it is incredibly effective in asymmetric arrangements (as mine are right now).. That's all stuff that's on the box and it clearly delivers as advertised.

What it still blows me away with, is how much it fools me into thinking there is a center channel - when in fact there is none. And it sounds great while doing so.

It's expensive, but clearly - the boffins at Sony landed on something special here. For rooms where its tough to have aligned Front/Rear setups (where soundbars become a forced choice), this thing slaps.

Last edited:

small_law

I'm in a lurch myself. I used to be big on surround sound. Huge floor standing four-way LR speakers, even floor standing three-ways for the surrounds. The past five years though, I got into headphones and headphone amps largely because I game at a desk. I do have desktop speakers hooked into a separate amp, but mixing chat and game audio is the priority.

The point is speakers all over a living room, something I used to think was awesome, looks so damn dated now. It made sense back in the Blu-ray days, but that was over 15 years ago. The priority for me flipped. In 2008, a shit headset was good enough for 360 COD, but I had to have awesome surround sound. Now I'm a headphone snob that thinks nine speakers in a living room is pointless for streaming trash on Netflix.

So here's my question for the home theater guys: what would you never put in your own living room because it's too ugly, dated, or sad?

Stafford

Stafford Stafford Great that you have found something your happy with. I found that connecting devices through the soundbar/amp was always a ballache, always some problems. Connecting everything to the TV and the e/arc to the soundbar/receiver always seemed to work better so if its working for you just keep it like that.

5.1 uncompressed from Xbox is fine.

While I'd love to just use Atmos for everything on Xbox and be done with it, I've noticed that this setting definitely isn't always great. RDR2 for example is much better when I use 5.1 uncompressed, I should try Atmos with a Atmos supported game.

I was told that uncompressed most of the time is the best anyway, to always place it above Dolby Digital and such. Is that true?
Owner of an HT-A9 here. Paired with an LG Oled and my XSX + PS5 combo. I moved to this after a 5.1.2 Marantz/Focal set up with upward firing atmos.

To me, it's a surprising system in one way - and one way alone.

Sure, it does a decent job with height effects and spatial audio AND it is incredibly effective in asymmetric arrangements (as mine are right now).. That's all stuff that's on the box and it clearly delivers as advertised.

What it still blows me away with, is how much it fools me into thinking there is a center channel - when in fact there is none. And it sounds great while doing so.

It's expensive, but clearly - the boffins at Sony landed on something special here. For rooms where its tough to have aligned Front/Rear setups (where soundbars become a forced choice), this thing slaps.

Awesome isn't it? I just had that with the rear speakers. I was watching Extraction on Netflix and this helicopter was flying around me. First in front of me, then went to my right, which is correct because there's a rear speaker to my right, however it then sounded as if the helicopter was right behind me and there is no speaker there, I love this.

I do notice how not every movie is as great as the other, especially when the movie is just 5.1 and not Atmos. But maybe that's where a sub comes in.

Justin9mm

I've been gaming with TV sound for a while now and it's just not great. Yes the Sony A95K does a pretty good job, but it's far from ideal.

I have used a Samsung Q990b soundbar for two weeks, but I had to return it because the subwoofer proved to be overkill for my living room, especially so for the neighbours, way too boomy and even though I tried it with settings, I couldn't get it right. It would be very bassy (but good) for some games, and it would be bad for movies unless I changed settings, but then for other shows and movies it was too weak. Inconsistent is my experience with it.

So then I thought, why don't I go for a soundbar that still provides a really good upgrade over the TV sound, and that has a good bass too. Apparently the Harman Kardon Citation Multibeam 1100 is that. And if need be, I can always add a sub later. Rears too. It can be had for around 700 euros or more here. But I've heard good things about JBL 9.1 too, it is the full package, it just remains to be seen if this sub is also too much for my room.

Then of course there's setups like a AVR with speakers. Now I've seen a Yamaha YHT-4960 5.1 home cinema set for 625 euros, it's 5.1 but doesn't offer Atmos or DTS. But really, I don't think missing out on Atmos on Xbox is that big of a deal, plus with the Samsung I had an undefeatable audio delay with it anyway. What is especially great is the receiver that comes with this supports 120hz and VRR. If that is correct, that's very cheap for a full blown home cinema set.

I would get a lot more for less money with the Yamaha compared to the HK, which is solely the soundbar. My questions are....

- Does anyone have this receiver or the whole set?

- Truly, how big of a deal is no Atmos? Isn't it only still a few games that support it?

- Does anyone here have or had the JBL or HK soundbar?

One thing is for sure, I'm not gonna stick with TV sound, I just miss too much. I want to hear wildlife and other nature sounds in RDR2 behind me via the rear speakers and I don't always want to put on headsets/headphones.
You will never beat traditional AVR surround setup, even for a cheaper to mid range, it blows soundbar setups out of the water.

I've heard expensive soundbar surround setups and they all sound super boomy in the bass and the levels are all off and vocals are muddied and have very limited to no adjustment settings to fix. Also, unless you actually have Atmos height speakers and setup like a 5.1.2 or 5.1.4. It's a gimmick.
Get the Yamaha setup. I had an older model of one of these setups years ago for my first surround system, it's a great sounding system. You won't be disappointed in the sound. Don't buy a soundbar.

Stafford

You will never beat traditional AVR surround setup, even for a cheaper to mid range, it blows soundbar setups out of the water.

I've heard expensive soundbar surround setups and they all sound super boomy in the bass and the levels are all off and vocals are muddied and have very limited to no adjustment settings to fix. Also, unless you actually have Atmos height speakers and setup like a 5.1.2 or 5.1.4. It's a gimmick.
Get the Yamaha setup. I had an older model of one of these setups years ago for my first surround system, it's a great sounding system. You won't be disappointed in the sound. Don't buy a soundbar.

I appreciate the advice.

I ended up ordering a soundbar because the deal was just too good and only a temporary sale. It's the Harman Kardon Citation Multibeam 1100 and so far I am super impressed. What you said about sound being super boomy, I had that experience with the Samsung Q990b, it just never sounded right for me.

So far with the HK where I don't have a sub for yet I don't experience it as boomy at all, which is great. I've been watching a few movies and shows today and the vocals to me sound fine and anything but muddy. I have not been impressed with many soundbars in the past, because like you said.....boomy bass, muddy vocals but this one so far does it pretty damn well.

Watching A Quiet Place Part 2 was a delight and this is without bothering any neighbours, which a subwoofer sadly is more prone to. This might be the setup for me.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
If one wants the HTIB experience and doesn't mind spending a few grand....

Or you could build your own rack but for my tastes that would be even more expensive.

Looks cool but you could get a real surround system for that money.

mrmeh

While I'd love to just use Atmos for everything on Xbox and be done with it, I've noticed that this setting definitely isn't always great. RDR2 for example is much better when I use 5.1 uncompressed, I should try Atmos with a Atmos supported game.

I was told that uncompressed most of the time is the best anyway, to always place it above Dolby Digital and such. Is that true?

There's so many different variables such as speaker calibration, room shape, size, materials.. the sound design in the game or movie that past a certain point you can't really tell what sounds best - Netflix from my lg oled comes up with atmos for certain titles and it sounds great but is that because they spent more time on the sound because it was going to be atmos etc... 5.1 uncompressed from games sounds great for me, couldn't really tell that much difference when i put atmos on other than a delay. If your happy and it sounds good best to try and stop chasing the dragon and enjoy it.

Stafford

Aight, well....i decided I had to hear the Philips Fidelio B97 too. I mean it's the full package for about 500 euros, and the reviews were great. Just had to compare.

Well it arrived today, and within an hour I had already put it back into the box again. It doesn't happen often that I have my mind made up this quickly, but I sure did this time. I tested the same content I tested with the HK. I tested the Extraction chopper scene where it really sounds like it flies around you, didn't have that on the Philips. RDR2 same story, I didn't hear stuff that happened behind me in the game, while I do on the HK and I love that. Surround is just way better (in my opinion) on the HK.

I then tested A Quiet Place 2, the sub was nice but the soundbar itself when it comes to voices and how clear things sounded it was just not what I expected. Just simply not as clear, natural sounding as the HK. To be sure I wasn't imagining things I hooked up the HK, only the soundbar, no rears. Tested the same scene and I was just blown away again. This bar by itself punches far above its weight and I love it.

There are so very few reviews on this and I see nobody on the soundbar Reddit talking about it, it's a shame because it's goddamned good. I am also super happy that even though I don't have my Xbox connected to the bar, I have no lag. With Atmos a bit, but it's doable. I use 5.1 uncompressed mostly anyway.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I love the Sony A7000 after the latest firmware. Atmos and TWO VRR HDMI ports so you can have both the PS5 and XSX run if at 120fps with VRR at all times.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

^^^Hearing that the Dragon talked about earlier in this thread supports 4K@120Hz and hits 125db's I am close to ordering instead of upgrading my AVR/speakers.

Stafford

Almost three months with the HK Citation 1100 now and I just couldn't be happier. Still just the bar with rears and it's fantastic. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to add the sub, it just might be too much.

Top Bottom