• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park Creators backing off Trump.. "Satire has become reality"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiend

I mean, I can understand that people are still shellshocked... but right now many are acting like a wounded animal, biting everyone even remotely in the vicinity...

That or the american school system is really that bad at teaching reading comprehension.

In light of recent events it's probably the latter.

entremet

Man some of you are legit scary with the McCarthyism.

Most people here are allies. I guess we can keep this rhetoric up while the GOP cleans our clocks.

But hey, you won argument online, right?

King Kye

Banned
LOL at the salt on that first page. "Cowards"? Really? WTF are they scared of?

Man some of you are legit scary with the McCarthyism.

Most people here are allies. I guess we can keep this rhetoric up while the GOP cleans our clocks.

But hey, you won argument online, right?

Liberals are such shitty tacticians. With people like these in our camp, who needs enemies?

Their send up of Trump with Mr. Garrison was 100% on point, but they're right - if people couldn't see the absurdity of voting for a man with that kind of campaign strategy (like when he goes on stage and does an anti woman standup), what else is there?

entremet

LOL at the salt on that first page. "Cowards"? Really? WTF are they scared of?

Liberals are such shitty tacticians. With people like these in our camp, who needs enemies?

We really are.

But hey keep that moral high ground, while Congress, SCOTUS, and the Presidency have been taken.

Funny thing is all we have to vote in midterms and we would be doing better. But apparently, that's too hard.

Ratrat

Sounds more like they gained far too many of his supporters as fans because of their "so woke moderate" take on the election and now they don't want to ruffle any feathers. I love South Park but I remember seeing a post that described the show to a t. Their message is that not caring about things is the way to be and if you care you're stupid.
Wrong. Why are you even posting?
Its not even about disliking the show, but a lot of you are posting outright lies. But I guess thats the thing now.

Trurl

Banned
I agree,Trump is difficult to satirize. Other than the Onion I've only seen the obvious reality exaggerated slightly. I would probably keep Trump off screen as an ominous presence and satirize the people adjust to him.

CassSept

oh god.. the comments here are worthy of an episode.

People calling Matt and Trey cowards is hilarious.

Given that they didn't stop when they actually were in real danger (Cartoon Wars episodes about Muhammad censorship at the time where everyone who touched the topic of Danish Muhammad cartoons with a ten foot pole was getting death threats from islamic terrorists) the reaction is ridiculous.

This thread is really amazing. Literally 'us or them' mentality here.

This is seriously something an alt-righter spreading fake news would say:

Really cool coming from the "hurr hurr Turd Sandwich vs. Giant Douche, manbearpig mirite?" assholes who've helped poison political discourse for a generation.

And yes I know their last season ripped into Trump. I don't care.

liquidtmd

Banned
I think many are wrongly hitting out at Matt and Trey because right now, the Democrats are invisible. Trump is destroying everything Obama tried to do with EO after EO. A few Liberals are saying we should embrace Trump.

A lot of people on here don't feel we currently have a voice and Matt and Trey often aggressively skewered some political targets. That the two bad boys of often seen 'dark comedy' have said 'fuck it, we arent doing more Trump' when each day there seemingly is more tragic fucking news from the White House - it feels a bit hollow.

I entirely see why they said what they said, but I also see why people may get pissy at it (right or wrong)

Sojgat

They have a point.

Real life is more ridiculous than most of the stuff they came up with last season. They try to push boundaries and then the next week Trump actually does something worse. How do you write for that? It's not funny, it's just upsetting.

Amory

In the next 4 years, fuck maybe 8 years, there's not going to be any shortage of biting political satire that exists just to skewer Donald Trump.

South Park doesn't need to be that. And clearly that's not what Matt and Trey want for their show, especially as it's probably coming time to wrap things up soon anyway.

I really doubt that they're just going to completely stop throwing shit Trump's way. But the show exists to make people laugh. Some of you want them to kill Trump every week not even because you think it'd be the most funny direction to go, but because that's what they *should* be doing. Like it's their social responsibility.

If you feel that way and think they're cowards for not doing it, then just stop watching the show. No one's going to miss you.

RPGCrazied

Oh wow, if South Park no longer wants to make fun of you, you got problems. Shame, I thought it was hilarious. And it would only get under his skin more, they should have kept it up.

Piers

Sounds more like they're burnt out, which wouldn't be surprising considering they dedicate entire seasons to one plot line rather than the rapid-fire of creativity they had before.

This is seriously something an alt-righter spreading fake news would say:
False equivalence, no wonder you're defending South Park.

Let me re-clarify my point because reading comprehension is obviously not your forte: someone making a smart observation after a dumbass observation does not absolve the dumbass observation. Someone who's only right 50% of the time would flunk out of school.

SP's political satire is trash. Including the right-wing stuff so maybe it's for the best they're laying off Trump.

Spladam

What's with all the "cowards" post? The statement was satire itself. They were mocking the absurdity of the administration. I'm pretty sure they are not done with Trump guys.

POTUS: "South Park is the worst show ever. Just the worst ever. Used to be funny, but not funny at all anymore. It was funny when I was on it, but just garbage now." #SouthParkQuitters

Meaty

Wtf with all the "cowards" and insulting posts?

Maybe if you guys stop antagonizing everyone so much, you could have more people join in your opinions against trump instead of just wasting your energy on the wrong people.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Wtf is this thread? Response after response of misinformed rage. Watch the interview, you're embarrassing yourselves.

Let me re-clarify my point because reading comprehension is obviously not your forte: someone making a smart observation after a dumbass observation does not absolve the dumbass observation. Someone who's only right 50% of the time would flunk out of school.

SP's political satire is trash. Including the right-wing stuff so maybe it's for the best they're laying off Trump.

You keep spewing false shit that South Park is on the "both sides" shtick. They are not. Stop talking nonsense when you already admit you're willingly ignorant on the subject. This idiotic claim has been debunked over and over here, put it to rest.

Yes they made fun of Hillary here and there, that's part of being a comedy - Colbert has made fun of Hillary more than South Park did. The *ENTIRE* season was completely focused on Trump being an a asshole with absolutely zero qualifications or desire for the presidency. They were NOT treated as equals, not by a LONG fucking shot. Trump was the entire god damn plot of the season.

Lothar

Banned
Wtf is this thread? Response after response of misinformed rage. Watch the interview, you're embarrassing yourselves.

Thankfully it was just the 1st page. I guess there's people who wait for any Trump thread to pop up and jump in it to scream without knowing anything then leave. They probably went to the next new thread so they can shitpost.

Dude, most people don't agree with what you post because you tend to get up on your high horse and start finger wagging as an immediate response. And not everyone was calling them cowards. Hell, I tried making a different point a few pages back and the guy I thought I was having a conversation with just up and left.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Wtf with all the "cowards" and insulting posts?

Maybe if you guys stop antagonizing everyone so much, you could have more people join in your opinions against trump instead of just wasting your energy on the wrong people.

I know... so much of this is reminding me of sketches from Monty Python's Life Of Brian, particularly the stuff with the People's Front Of Judea, and the only people them hating more than Romans being the fackin' Judean People's Front! (Splitters!)

When moderacy, impartiality, and neutrality are seen as an equal or worse threat than the evil being fought, a line has been crossed into fanaticism. And that's not good.

Platy

Look, I haven't watched the last season of South Park, so when I said "all sides are equally bad" I was not talking about the election, I was talking about how South Park deals with EVERY SINGLE ISSUE.

Issues that fuck up people even more than a Muslim ban like terrorism, mass murders, wars and other stuff.

Also, South Park works in a way of talking about the current news. So they NEED to talk about current news.

Their JOB as comedians is to criticize him.
To choose otherwise is either admitting that you are a shitty comedian or you are afraid of going for a fascist on power.

So they are either afraid of showing that they suck or afraid of the repercussions.

Cowards

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I understand what they are saying but still think they should go after him. But the people calling them cowards are either angry about something else they did ( one guy mentioned PC Principal) or they didn't bother reading what was actually said.

Look, I haven't watched the last season of South Park, so when I said "all sides are equally bad" I was not talking about the election, I was talking about how South Park deals with EVERY SINGLE ISSUE.

Issues that fuck up people even more than a Muslim ban like terrorism, mass murders, wars and other stuff.

Also, South Park works in a way of talking about the current news. So they NEED to talk about current news.

To choose otherwise is either admitting that you are a shitty comedian or you are afraid of going for a fascist on power.

you continue to show a terrible understanding for the show. making fun of both sides does not mean you're saying both sides are equally bad. they typically make fun of everyone, and then make it clear how they feel.

you're uninformed, so you should stop.

tuna_love

Banned

So they are either afraid of showing that they suck or afraid of the repercussions.

Cowards
how does one become just so incredibly stupid?

Apt101

Geez guys calm down. I understand the current climate is volatile but we're discussing a comedic cartoon in what feels like its twilight years. There are no stakes here (in the scope of the show).

If Matt and Trey truly are going to stop satirizing the administration I think that's a bad thing creatively. These buffoons are ripe for the picking. Let loose. Lots of laughs to be had. If even SNL is still capable of squeezing laughs out of this sadness then the South Park guys of all people should be able to do the same.

swing and a miss

you continue to show a terrible understanding for the show. making fun of both sides does not mean you're saying both sides are equally bad. they typically make fun of everyone, and then make it clear how they feel.

you're uninformed, so you should stop.

how does one become just so incredibly stupid?

How does one come in here to read only the first page and then literally insult other posters?

jorma

is now taking requests

"if you make fun of Hilary, well that's obviously a dumbass observation, if you make fun of Trump, well that's a smart observation. And if you bash both Hilary and Trump you're flunking out of school, because making fun of Hilary is false equivalency bullshit!!!!"

It's not SP's satire that is trash here.

dakun

Cowards
you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom