• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park RPG: First Screenshot And Combat Dev Diary

Huge South Park fan, so I'm really looking forward to this. I wonder what platforms it will be released on.

Not a big fan of WRPGs though, but I know Trey is a huge weeaboo, so I'm hoping to see more Paper Mario influence than anything else.

Watch the video, Paper Mario is used as the reference point for how the combat operates.

Derrick01

Banned
He said '20 hours'. Just pointing that out.

Normally I cringe at that number for RPGs, but since it's a turn based battle system 20-30 will probably be all I can stand of it.

One thing I did like is that he mentioned they want to include some bonus stuff that's initially too difficult to beat but you can eventually best them once you master the combat and get some of the more powerful gear, and that the reward for beating them wouldn't just be achievements.

edit: he brought up a lot of the bonus stuff from FF7 as an example. I'm assuming he meant the Weapon side bosses that, to this day, I still haven't beaten :(

This looks great so far. Let's hope it holds up, and even if it doesn't I might get it anyway :p

P.S. The guy in that video sounds 100% like Seth Green.

Sex_Drive-8-Seth_Green.jpg

If it's like Paper Mario you can have as many characters in your party as you like but can only use the player-character and one other in combat.

It's not just that, from everything he said it sounds like they're just softening up all the mechanics for an extremely low barrier of entry. It stinks of those Penny Arcade games.

What's funny is how peope were turned off to this game at first, bu now that they know what it is, it's getting some love. I can't wait for this title.

We'll see about this I guess. I like some of the ideas but if their goal is a low barrier to entry RPG and they don't copy Paper Mario for all its worth I think they're gonna be in trouble.

It's not just that, from everything he said it sounds like they're just softening up all the mechanics for an extremely low barrier of entry. It stinks of those Penny Arcade games.

:lol

You can't really get much softer than PM. It's all about how you do it, using the original PM as an example you have some powerful synergies between Mario and his companions which are designed to deal with particular situations, so the combat starts to evolve to require a fair amount of planning since you lose an attack by switching between companions. And of course you can't switch badges in combat, so selecting a good base synergy is extremely important.

PM didn't use that anywhere near as well as it could have though, I trust Obsidian to do a better job.

Vamphuntr

Yeah this is my only concern about the game right now. From what he said it seems they are aiming it at the "My first RRG crowd". At least he said there would be extra bosses.

Otherwise it looks pretty cool so far.

Isn't all of South Park the TV show put together in Maya? How does one translate that for a game? Like...if the show is in Maya...I just...wait...

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Shit, I had no interest in this game before, but now that they've basically said they're going to make it like paper mario, then sign me up!

Isn't all of South Park the TV show put together in Maya? How does one translate that for a game? Like...if the show is in Maya...I just...wait...

You're all over the place here. Obsidian were given 15 years worth of scanned or computer-generated "construction paper" to use in the game. From the look of the screens it's an environment constructed from 2-sided polygons arranged in layers like the sets in a play, with masked textures used for the actual backdrop. Does that help?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Haha, did a lead designer from Obsidian really call anyone who understands how to play Neverwinter Nights 2 a "pale basement virgin"? Yikes.

Top Bottom