• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Fractured But Whole [Stick of Truth sequel, Ubi San Francisco]

Karu

Stopped playing Stick of Truth after a few hours. The PS3-performance was atricious and the menu design was all fucked up in my opinion. Still interest in the new one if changes will be made.

This is probably not a popular opinion, but I think I would have enjoyed Stick of Truth more if I watched it on YouTube. The combat got tedious fast, the exploration was only fun until you had seen all the areas and the puzzles were annoying and kinda poorly designed.

Loved the story though. And a lot of the best dialogue was hidden in combat interactions. So I will play it probably. But I would love if the game was more fun to play this time around.

SeanTSC

I LOVED Stick of Truth and I can't wait for this. I have Total Faith in Matt and Trey's writing and I don't think this game is going to be any worse due to Obsidian not being there. They have all the base engine and framework, so what's there to worry about?

And I am 100% in on a CE; I absolutely adore my Grand Wizard Cartman figure.

duaPsDa.jpg

I'm going to need another shelf.

Super excited for this. Loved The Stick of Truth.

My only concern for this is that Coon & Friends originate from seasons when South Park had already turned into complete crap, whereas LOTR cosplaying is from South Park's best season(s).

However, it is always nice to see Towelie again. And Kyle's cousin Kyle is returning too!

I mean, Stick of Truth itself came out in this period of bad seasons, but it was still amazing. Probably because they can't rush the game out in half a week, sloppily making an unimaginative plot out of the latest pop culture topic or news headline. They've actually got lots of time here to think about the jokes and story.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I just want to compliment the title. Incredible.

Parker and stone are legitimately geniuses , especially trey (musical genius as well). Given what their talents create they don't quite get the credit they deservedeserve, but they don't take themselves seriously. 2 of the very the best In the business.

eerik9000

I mean, Stick of Truth itself came out in this period of bad seasons, but it was still amazing. Probably because they can't rush the game out in half a week, sloppily making an unimaginative plot out of the latest pop culture topic or news headline. They've actually got lots of time here to think about the jokes and story.

Sure, but I guess the problem I have is that the whole superheroes storyline and characters did not appeal to me in the show. The only memorable part from that to me was Captain Hindsight. Should have, would have, could have! I hope he's in the game.

Aces&Eights

I am assuming Trey and Matt are not just using but whole as a standalone funny but after the notorious Souls message tongue, but hole.

If true this means they are the greatest two men ever.

OT: Gonna play the shit out of this game as I did the last one. Even though the combat was a little boring, I didn't care because the dialogue during it was just insanely good. Exploring the town and meeting all the characters was just awesome. Plus, Matt and Trey even admitted that near the end of making the first game they realized how they should have made it all along. The second one is going to be mind blowing, I can just feel it.

Parker and stone are legitimately geniuses , especially trey (musical genius as well). Given what their talents create they don't quite get the credit they deservedeserve, but they don't take themselves seriously. 2 of the very the best In the business.

Didn't "Blame Canada" win an Oscar for best score?

I wish this could be ready by Spring. They're clearly going all out superhero parody. It'd be perfect to release right next to BvS in March. Hopefully they get it out in 2016 at least.

This is probably not a popular opinion, but I think I would have enjoyed Stick of Truth more if I watched it on YouTube. The combat got tedious fast, the exploration was only fun until you had seen all the areas and the puzzles were annoying and kinda poorly designed.

Loved the story though. And a lot of the best dialogue was hidden in combat interactions. So I will play it probably. But I would love if the game was more fun to play this time around.

The fart technique tutorials were implemented poorly imo, took forever to do the last few.

Still think SOT was a great game, a surprise package because of how well it turned out.

SeanTSC

Written by Matt & Trey. Who cares?

Pretty much this, who cares if it's not by Obsidian? Ubisoft has the engine and all of the framework for the game. The most important part of South Park is the writing, which Matt and Trey did most of in the first game, so as long as they're doing this game too I'm not really worried about it at all. Ubisoft has plenty of talented people that can tweak the existing gameplay mechanics that Obsidian made for the first game and transition it to a Super Hero RPG just fine.

-MD-

Obsidians gameplay was mediocre, the writing really carried it. I think ubi will take the same concept and easily improve it.

The problem with Obsidian's gameplay was that it wasn't properly balanced, getting into a battle and killing the enemy in 5 seconds wasn't fun. The player even on the hardest difficulty was severely overpowered.

I'd be completely fine with the same combat system but reworked to be more engaging, having the player actually make use of their consumables , have battles last longer than 10 seconds etc.

Daverid

The problem with Obsidian's gameplay was that it wasn't properly balanced, getting into a battle and killing the enemy in 5 seconds wasn't fun. The player even on the hardest difficulty was severely overpowered.

I'd be completely fine with the same combat system but reworked to be more engaging, having the player actually make use of their consumables , have battles last longer than 10 seconds etc.

Absolutely. I think I'll actually be a little miffed if it isn't Turn Based.

They had a solid system, they just didn't quite polish it properly. I don't know how competent Ubi San Fran is, but based on the trailer it seems that even Matt & Trey know the combat wasn't quite up-to-par, and so hopefully there'll be efforts made to improve it.
If they can just ensure each class has a little more variety/identity in its basic mechanics, and ensure better game balance, it'll be golden.

prag16

Banned
I really didn't like the combat system in Stick of Truth. Boring and tedious imo. Everything else was great, but that one aspect prevented me from finishing it. Maybe I'll get back to it eventually. Cool that they're making another one though, either way.

Top Bottom