• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

DukeBobby

This 15-20hour thing, you've got to remember some early players just like to speed through for bragging rights.

Not excusing or downplaying reports, just saying in my exp these early reports don't actually tally to either my first play through or general time walking through and digging deeper / enjoying the atmosphere

I could have finished the main game / story in Skyrim in 7-10hours if I'd been inclined on my first play

I remember when early reports claimed that Dishonored was about 5 hours long.

It took me more than 15.

hohoXD123

From pewdiepie's gameplay vid:

http://i.imgur.com/NbpOBDg.png

ku-xlarge.gif

Phinor

I remember when early reports claimed that Dishonored was about 5 hours long.

It took me more than 15.

day 1 (or 0?) pirates have to rush through games to a) say they have beaten the game already and b) to mock how short games are and how it wasn't worth buying anyway. Skyrim is barely 10 hour game etc.

The early reports, unless they come from actual reviewers, are almost always useless.

Mononoke

Banned
Yep, 15-20 hours is the sweet spot for me, every longer game I've played is just stuffed with filler.

I would agree for most games. But I think RPGs should be longer. The syle of gameplay and mission structures makes it easier to put more hours into it. I would be bummed if Fallout 3 was only 15 hours (I mean completing all the side missions, not the main story).

Just about 8 hours in and I had to make a choice on something.Which I won't mention but It's making me wonder if Ill have to play it twice for sure or if its just a one quest sorta thing. Damn.

Mondy

Banned
Just about 8 hours in and I had to make a choice on something.Which I won't mention but It's making me wonder if Ill have to play it twice for sure or if its just a one quest sorta thing. Damn.

EDIT: I just googled trying to find a source and found none so I'm thinking it's BS.

I'm new to gaf so forgive the ignorance. but it's ok to skirt around the issue of pirating a game if youre offering the benefit of gameplay info and impressions?

LAM09

Mixed views going around it would seem. Not sure if it will be a day one purchase, especially because of the fact I will have to get an imported US version. I think it is clear that the story is what will make the game.

ZeroX03

Banned
20 hour main storyline for an RPG is fine for me. As long as there's a hearty chunk of side content. Many RPGs are a lot shorter than they appear to be, you get caught up in side quests or grinding and suddenly the clock's hit 50 hours when only 15 have been spent propelling the main quest forward.

DukeBobby

Mixed views going around it would seem. Not sure if it will be a day one purchase, especially because of the fact I will have to get an imported US version. I think it is clear that the story is what will make the game.

Mixed views?

I've not heard anything negative yet.

Rich!

I'm new to gaf so forgive the ignorance. but it's ok to skirt around the issue of pirating a game if youre offering the benefit of gameplay info and impressions?

If you want to be permanently banned, sure.

edit: I'm giving that advice on if you yourself want to go down that route, if that makes sense.

Mononoke

Banned
20 hour main storyline for an RPG is fine for me. As long as there's a hearty chunk of side content. Many RPGs are a lot shorter than they appear to be, you get caught up in side quests or grinding and suddenly the clock's hit 50 hours when only 15 have been spent propelling the main quest forward.

I assumed 20 hours for everything. I hope we get a total time soon. Also for me, if it has more hours of play time I want it to be actual missions and not just collecting shit.

Vamphuntr

From what I understand it's probably 15-20 with all the side quests. Someone raised the possibility of the game being the same length of the usual RPG at 30+ with all the side quests and a reviewer from IGN posted saying more or less to temper your expectations greatly on that front.

LAM09

Game length has nothing to do with the actual quality of the game. 20 hours is plenty anyway.

I clearly said it doesn't have an impact on the quality of the game, but it has an negative impact on people's decision of buying it on day one, with me included.

-MD-

I clearly said it doesn't have an impact on the quality of the game, but it has an negative impact on people's decision of buying it on day one, with me included.

20+ hours isn't long enough?

I mean I guess they could pad it with another 20 hours of grinding like all the other RPGs but does anyone really want that?

I'm about to import the US-version. First time for me to import a game from the US ( the fact that it's being censored for Europe made me decisie this). Will I be able to buy any DLC in the future?

jschreier

Like Ryan, I can't say much until the embargo is up, but if you only plan on buying this game if it's 15 or 20 hours, you should wait for reviews.

I'm about to import the US-version. First time for me to import a game from the US ( the fact that it's being censored for Europe made me decisie this). Will I be able to buy any DLC in the future?

If you are on PS3/4 you can (have to) buy DLC from the US store, not from your own countries store.

HT UK

I think I'm just gonna stop watching South Park. I mean those episode are only 20 minutes long! They should at least be 4 hours each.

Vamphuntr

I'm not sure why we are supposing his post means the game his shorter than 15-20 hours. It could be longer too since the damage control in this thread now is about how anything longer than 20 hours is supposedly awful.

Even 10 hours is pretty good if it's only a main story. You can beat most rpgs in that amount of time anyway.

We must not play the same RPG. I would really like to see how you can beat Etrian Odyssey IV, SMT IV, Fire Emblem Awakening and Bravely Default in 10 hours.

Mononoke

Banned
12 hours for a main story is unacceptable in an RPG. And honestly, if the game is even that short, then I highly doubt any extra hours of gameplay will be fleshed out side missions (like in Fallout). It will probably just be collecting things etc.

Very disappointing. I hope I'm wrong though. I would be okay with even a 12 hour main story, if it had like 10 hours of side missions. But hell, even that sounds kind of low for a $60 game. Especially for an RPG.

kazebyaka

Banned
I'm not sure why we are supposing his post means the game his shorter than 15-20 hours. It could be longer too since the damage control in this thread now is about how anything longer than 20 hours is supposedly awful.

We must not play the same RPG. I would really like to see how you can beat Etrian Odyssey IV, SMT IV, Fire Emblem Awakening and Bravely Default in 10 hours.

I'm talking about wrpg mostly. Also, if you take all fluff/filler grind out , most JRPG have 10-15 hours of non-filler gameplay and story. I'd rather play 15 hour rpg than crappy 60 hour jrpg, where only thing you do is grind.

Dub117

Like Ryan, I can't say much until the embargo is up, but if you only plan on buying this game if it's 15 or 20 hours, you should wait for reviews.
I only plan on buying the game because it looks fucking hilarious, and fun. Isn't fun why people buy games? Oh wait this is GAF, has to be 1080/60 and 50 hours long.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

A few of those artificially extend their length through the amount of grinding one needs to do. I'd rather have a 10-15 hour focused RPG, than one stretching your engagement with it in a bullshit way.

I have to remind you guys that DX:HR without the side quest and exploration is about the same length, that doesn't make it less enjoyable.

Top Bottom