• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Stick of Truth |OT| Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (In select regions)

Completely forgot I had credit on GMG from buying a game at Christmas. A pleasant surprise making this a little cheaper. Still even with the code it's about what a PC game should cost...

jJieUnkHQA2XL.JPG

Wish it worked on the boxed copy. Is that Steamworks?
Yeah the game uses steamworks

No. No he did not. SMR doesn't crack top 50.

I was kidding because that's my favorite since it was my very first RPG that I completed. I actually consider FF6 to be the best RPG with Chrono Trigger coming in second but to say SMRPG isn't in the top 50 is laughable. It's easily in the top 25.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Completely forgot I had credit on GMG from buying a game at Christmas. A pleasant surprise making this a little cheaper. Still even with the code it's about what a PC game should cost...

jJieUnkHQA2XL.JPG

Wish it worked on the boxed copy. Is that Steamworks?
Looks like I'll be getting the boxed copy then, stay backwards games business.

Buy the game from Nuuvem. BRL$100 is roughly 25.5 Britishbucks.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Somebody posted an image of what the censored scenes look like in Europe. (slightly spoilery but not much more than the censorship notes posted earlier.)
It's a shame that the game got hit with censorship but at least they try and have a bit of a fun with it.

There are 6 more scenes of this and I have faith they'll only get better. Europe may well have gotten the better end of this deal. Even if that's not the case I'll still see the real scenes with youtube anyway.

Somebody posted an image of what the censored scenes look like in Europe. (slightly spoilery but not much more than the censorship notes posted earlier.)
It's a shame that the game got hit with censorship but at least they try and have a bit of a fun with it.

LOL that was kinda funny.

Edit:
This explains the entire scene.
Do not read of you don't want it to be spoiled.

Fucking hilarious either way.

Yea I saw that it was explaining the scene so I stopped reading it. But I liked the picture and first line.

spekkeh

Banned
I dunno, I'm kind of annoyed that they're trying to pin this on Europe at large, while it's obviously one or two dumb countries and mostly Ubisoft that have so little respect for its art that they can't be arsed to give the other 90% the actual, intended, uncensored version.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm not sure how much of a spoiler that is since you've already seen that scene setup in the last trailer they released.

malcher

I will probably buy the PC version in country where I live (Poland), but I will have to go to Germany the week after. If I redeem and install the game while in Poland, I should be able to run it without problems in ONLINE mode while in Germany, right?

Linius

I dunno, I'm kind of annoyed that they're trying to pin this on Europe at large, while it's obviously one or two dumb countries and mostly Ubisoft that have so little respect for its art that they can't be arsed to give the other 90% the actual, intended, uncensored version.

Yeah, I feel shitty about the censorship. Games have never been censored in The Netherlands as far as I know. And now I have to put it with this for South Park of all games.

Lusankya

I dunno, I'm kind of annoyed that they're trying to pin this on Europe at large, while it's obviously zero European countries and only Ubisoft that have so little respect for its art that they can't be arsed to give the other 90% the actual, intended, uncensored version.
Fixed.

Social

I am happy I bought the game on PC because people that are playing the PS3 version are claiming that there are stutters during the main town and that the general performance isn't all that great.

Some of the PS3 settings are as follows:

demo_mode = false/true
disable_warnings = false/true
censored_archive = ( I guess here you enter the archive name, is an .oaf file )

enable_postprocess = false/true
enable_depth_of_field = false/true
enable_bloom = false/true
enable_antialias = false/true
enable_color_correction = false/true
enable_color_controls = false/true
enable_fog = false/true
enable_heat_haze = false/true
enable_transparent_depth = false/true
motion_blur_enable = false/true
motion_blur_scale = 0.5
motion_blur_max_length = 0.3
movie_sharpen_amount = 0.0
movie_sharpen_radius = 0.0
scaleform_edge_aa = 1.0

shadow_quality= 2
msaa = 2
support_aspect_ratio_4_3= false/true
default_display_conversion = box
dist_fade_duration = 0.5
dist_fade_in_range = 40.0
dist_fade_out_range = 45.0

I guess most of these and probably more will also be there on the PC.
That's all I could find GAF!

Milennia

I am happy I bought the game on PC because people that are playing the PS3 version are claiming that there are stutters during the main town and that the general performance isn't all that great.

Some of the PS3 settings are as follows:

demo_mode = false/true
disable_warnings = false/true
censored_archive = ( I guess here you enter the archive name, is an .oaf file )

enable_postprocess = false/true
enable_depth_of_field = false/true
enable_bloom = false/true
enable_antialias = false/true
enable_color_correction = false/true
enable_color_controls = false/true
enable_fog = false/true
enable_heat_haze = false/true
enable_transparent_depth = false/true
motion_blur_enable = false/true
motion_blur_scale = 0.5
motion_blur_max_length = 0.3
movie_sharpen_amount = 0.0
movie_sharpen_radius = 0.0
scaleform_edge_aa = 1.0

shadow_quality= 2
msaa = 2
support_aspect_ratio_4_3= false/true
default_display_conversion = box
dist_fade_duration = 0.5
dist_fade_in_range = 40.0
dist_fade_out_range = 45.0

I guess most of these and probably more will also be there on the PC.
That's all I could find GAF!

:/ let's see how the 360 version compares.
Depending on performance I may get that version instead.

Yeah, I feel shitty about the censorship. Games have never been censored in The Netherlands as far as I know. And now I have to put it with this for South Park of all games.

Same here. Never witnessed games being censored in The Netherlands. Tbh....I was really amazed that they censored it .

So , this feeling is completely new to me and it feels shitty indeed. This game is for fans of the series and they all know what to expect Ubi :/

Regarding length, I'm with those who aren't overly fussed.

Of course there are lower limits - it would be extremely disappointing for a game of this genre/anticipation to be 6 hours long, and I'd be annoyed even if the quality is excellent.

That being said, there's nothing worse than a game outstaying its welcome or having a length artificially inflated due to repetitive padding. I can guarantee that if the game were to be 40+ hours, there would be just as many complaining about it being too long - myself included.

Comparisons to other games like Final Fantasy, etc. are pretty irrelevant too. If South Park has been well made (if being the important word here, while we wait for release), then the length will be suited to the overall experience offered.

jschreier

Hey Jason, you said in the other thread that you might be able to do an impressioms video and that it would have been last week, did you release it? I did a quick search but found nothing, I may have missed it though
I pushed for it, but Ubisoft has asked us not to publish footage from review copies until after the embargo. I guess PewDiePie had an exclusive, which seems silly from my perspective, because why force potential buyers to have to listen to PewDiePie if they want to see new footage of the game? But hey, I'm not a PR person.

Falcs

Banned
So as an Aussie, what are my options for getting an uncensored PC version? If somebody from the US Steam gift's it to me, will it be the US version?
Or if somebody from the US buys it on GMG (with the 20% voucher) can they gift that to me and will it be the US version?
Halp pls!!

FTF

15-20 hours is fine by me and usually my sweet spot so can't wait.

Also, haven't read through this whole thread, but is there a review embargo/when can we expect reviews?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So as an Aussie, what are my options for getting an uncensored PC version? If somebody from the US gift's it to me, will it be the US version?
Or if somebody from the US buys it on GMG (with the 20% voucher) can they gift that to me and will it be the US version?
Halp pls!!

Yes, with Steam games the version you receive depends on the version you activate. You can buy a key for $41 from the site Visualante linked to above (https://www.gamekeysnow.com/keys/South-Park:-The-Stick-of-Truth), but as they're retail keys they're unlikely to come with the pre-order bonus pack. If you'd prefer the guarantee of a pre-order key, you can buy the game from Nuuvem for an additional ~$1.70.

Edit: Do note that you may be required to use a VPN to activate a retail key pertaining to the uncensored version of the game. Spotflux is free and US-based. Using a VPN is technically against the SSA but to date there are no verified or reputable reports of Valve taking issue with people using one to just activate a key or unlock a game early; indeed, myself and many other GAFers have used VPNs for these purposes many times over the years and haven't encountered any trouble whatsoever (the most recent example would be Thi4f, which first unlocked in some Asian countries).

I pushed for it, but Ubisoft has asked us not to publish footage from review copies until after the embargo. I guess PewDiePie had an exclusive, which seems silly from my perspective, because why force potential buyers to have to listen to PewDiePie if they want to see new footage of the game? But hey, I'm not a PR person.
Oh, ok, thanks for the reply though! That does seem idiotic, while PewDiePie has a large audience it would make no difference spoiler wise to allow previews, and so many people on places like here refuse to watch his videos that it would be a good idea.
Plus, his audience is often considered to be very young...

I refuse to watch a video from him, but would be all over an impressions video from Kotaku/IGN/Giantbomb. Ate you allowed to do an impressions piece for the earlier parts (I know there are previews, but one that allows you to speak about a little later in the game).
I guess there's only 3 days until reviews.. Sadly I can't get the game until Friday due to the UK release date!:(

I agree but look how many hits those videos got in a mere 24 hours/days. Several millions. Probably a PR wet dream.

Embargoes are getting weird now anyways since today I watched a guy stream for 2 hours and someone else for some good 30 minutes. Must be pretty frustrating for press I guess.

erawsd

And, honestly, how many potential buyers are there in pewdiepie's audience? Especially for a story driven game like this.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me like thats a young demo that doesn't have the means to buy many games, so they're content to just watch someone play.

Mayyhem

Yes, with Steam games the version you receive depends on the version you activate. You can buy a key for $41 from the site Visualante linked to above (https://www.gamekeysnow.com/keys/South-Park:-The-Stick-of-Truth), but as they're retail keys they're unlikely to come with the pre-order bonus pack. If you'd prefer the guarantee of a pre-order key, you can buy the game from Nuuvem for an additional ~$1.70.

Edit: Do note that you may be required to use a VPN to activate a retail key pertaining to the uncensored version of the game. Spotflux is free and US-based. Using a VPN is technically against the SSA but to date there are no verified or reputable reports of Valve taking issue with people using one to just activate a key or unlock a game early; indeed, myself and many other GAFers have used VPNs for these purposes many times over the years and haven't encountered any trouble whatsoever (the most recent example would be Thi4f, which first unlocked in some Asian countries).

So the site you first posted there is the cheapest I can find the game on PC for, does it work if I live in Canada? Or is it UK-only?

jschreier

I agree but look how many hits those videos got in a mere 24 hours/days. Several millions. Probably a PR wet dream.

Embargoes are getting weird now anyways since today I watched a guy stream for 2 hours and someone else for some good 30 minutes. Must be pretty frustrating for press I guess.
Those people are streaming pirated copies, no? I imagine that as Twitch and other streaming services continue to grow, publishers will pressure them into taking down pirate streams.

I like embargoes - they ensure that reviewers aren't all rushing to be first to publish - but you're right that it's frustrating to have to keep information from readers. All I can tell people is to wait for the review.

Those people are streaming pirated copies, no? I imagine that as Twitch and other streaming services continue to grow, publishers will pressure them into taking down pirate streams.

I like embargoes - they ensure that reviewers aren't all rushing to be first to publish - but you're right that it's frustrating to have to keep information from readers. All I can tell people is to wait for the review.

Not sure if they're necessarily pirate streams, the game is so close to release that I'd imagine stores have it - a few have probably sold under the counter.

fake edit: in fact someone further up indicated that they can get hold of a copy, haha.

Mononoke

Banned
I consider gameplay pretty highly when talking about RPGs and their ability to keep me interested.
My top played RPGs all have outstanding gameplay mechanics as opposed to epic stories (others may consider them epic lol, however on my case these games were purely gameplay driven for me).

That's a fantastic point. I mean, if the gameplay is a lot of fun and well done, then the grinding won't become so much a chore. I should have edited my post, because I don't think what I said works for every game. But personally, I hate it when there is no more story left, and the game tacks on 40 + hours of just grinding to get to a final boss.

But you are right that, if the combat is that much fun, and that rewarding, then it won't be seen as grinding per se. If a game is really gameplay driven, then it's not really fair to compare it to a more story driven game etc. So I'm glad you brought this up, thank you.

One guy had a legit copy it seems. The other one I don't know. I guess most of the prerelease streams are usually pirate copies.

In a way I can actually thank Ubisoft for that because by allowing only PewDiePie to do impressions videos it means i'll be going into the game completely blind

Top Bottom