• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceX Attempting 1st Stage Landing After Rocket Launch (AKA Crazy Space Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
tumblr_mfczcu6uA31qedb29o1_500.gif

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Love watching every one of these launches. So jealous of my friend that was there.

It's one of those things that never gets old. Wish I could have seen a shuttle launch live. Went to the last one on its initial date that got delayed, so of course I ended up missing it.

andycapps

It's one of those things that never gets old. Wish I could have seen a shuttle launch live. Went to the last one on its initial date that got delayed, so of course I ended up missing it.

We went to Kennedy Space Center in the 90's on family vacation and were trying to watch one of the launches, but of course it got delayed. I think we were at a family friend's house in Orlando when it did launch, and of course it was ridiculously loud. That's all I remember. I remember the Space Center more.

They are showing the landing attempt in splitscreen on the SpaceX stream.

Edit: Not anymore, probably beyond the horizon at this point.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Can someone explain to me what they meant by the solar panels powering the Draco engine? Is it using some different technology not based on propellant? I thought such a technology was still theoretical.

commedieu

Banned
And side-by-side with NASA:

lol..

man.. nasa needs funding. But, with SpaceX hopefully NASA hopefuls can go over to private space, where the $ is.

Can someone explain to me what they meant by the solar panels powering the Draco engine? Is it using some different technology not based on propellant? I thought such a technology was still theoretical.

IIRC Solar panels are still used to generate electrical charges, to be used for generating electricity for engines needs. In the near future, they want to use nuclear power to generate those electrical charges, instead of relying on solar.

Elon Musk @elonmusk · 7s 7 seconds ago
Ascent successful. Dragon enroute to Space Station. Rocket landed on droneship, but too hard for survival.

SpyGuy239

SpaceX Engineer ‏@SpaceXEngineer 2m2 minutes ago
We falcon punched the barge... @SpaceX CRS-6

edit:

launch live stream is over

damn is it bad news with the landing again?

I so want them to succeed! I don't suppose there is a live stream for the landing? Was hoping to catch that as well.

That's fine. You gotta take baby steps. Congrats to SpaceX on a successful launch!

True.

It's expected.

Elon Musk @elonmusk · Apr 13
Odds of rocket landing successfully today are still less than 50%. The 80% figure by end of year is only bcs many launches ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom