• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spark Unlimited's (Lost Planet 3) horror game sequel is a 3rd person action/slasher

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A few more notes from various postings here: http://www.sparkunlimited.com/jobs_currentjobs.html

Spark Unlimited said:
(Lead Designer)-Third-person action combat or horror level design experience. Experience designing 3rd person action combat tactics and weapons.
(Senior Designer)-Third-person action combat level design experience. Experience designing 3rd person action combat tactics and weapons and scenarios.
(Character Animator)-Third person sword or melee combat genre experience.
It definitely sounds like a game that is primarily a third person action/slasher, but has some horror elements like, say, fighting demons. You also seem to use a sword as your primary weapon, but do have some other choices.

in the pic above it says Third person action/horror.
The combat job postings make it pretty clear it is melee focused though.

They seem pretty psyched about Lost Planet 3, and this was started fairly recently, so Capcom would actually be one of the most logical choices.

sotd-disappointedq5usq.gif

Maaaan, I don't want more disappointment. I don't think I can handle it much longer.

Spark Unlimited is the horror element.

But yes, Onimusha is the most likely outcome here. Other possibilities include:

Shinobi (DD title, given Sega's narrowed focus)

Bloodrayne
(would explain why Majesco revived the IP last year)

Strider (...probably not)

Red Steel reboot* (Is Ubisoft foolish enough to give this IP another go after RS2? Hey, Capcom agreed to LP3 after LP2. Maybe they think Red Steel would do better on PS360)

Condemned 3
* (Just throwing out ideas here)

*I know the job description says 3rd person. That would be the "bold new take" on those franchises.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
:(

But Capcom has already ruined Onimusha with Dawn of Dreams

Spark is one horrible studio, poor Samanouske.

It's obvious what they're working on, Ninja Gaiden 4.

Tecmo wants to westernize the franchise even more. More QTE's, over the top story with lots of explosions, dudebro Ryu, and season pass weapon DLC confirmed.

Famassu

I don't necessarily consider Onimusha to have any horror elements (the first game was Resident Evil with Samurais when it comes to gameplay, but I don't think it retained too much of the horror aspect), so I can still maintain hope that this isn't Onimusha 5!

ezekial45

Banned
I'm a bit surprised that they're giving them two different IPs to handle.

I'm being serious here, but Ninja Theory would've been a great fit for Onimusha. If Capcom was set on having a western studio do it, that is. NT's strengths for presentation and storytelling would suit them for the series.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't necessarily consider Onimusha to have any horror elements (the first game was Resident Evil with Samurais when it comes to gameplay, but I don't think it retained too much of the horror aspect), so I can still maintain hope that this isn't Onimusha 5!

Well, here's what Wikipedia says:

Wikipedia said:
Onimusha is very action-oriented with an emphasis on combat, and employing some horror elements.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onimusha#Gameplay

Were I to, say, be contracted to make an Onimusha game despite knowing basically nothing about the series, if I had went to Wikipedia to look it up, I might be under the impression it was an action slasher game with horror elements. >_>

I'm being serious here, but Ninja Theory would've been a great fit for Onimusha. If Capcom was set on having a western studio do it, that is. NT's strengths for presentation and storytelling would suit them for the series.

I would of preferred that than DMC, in fact i think i would of even been looking forward to it. But if it is true, I'm guess that even ninja theory is too expensive for onimusha. Capcom obviously doesnt care as much about making good games, just profitable ones now.

Why is Capcom putting so much faith in them boggles my mind, there must be some reason which we haven't seen/heard off, right?

They want to buy them. probably approached NT but NT wants to stay independent.

Hela

Why is Capcom putting so much faith in them boggles my mind, there must be some reason which we haven't seen/heard off, right?

I'm actually kinda hoping they are working on Onimusha, if only because that will probably mean we'll get an Onimusha HD Collection. Once I've got that then I won't really care what Cacpom does. I've been frustrated enough by their previous decisions, now I just don't care.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Capcom faith worked for Slant Six and ORC turned to be a huge hit.

I'm actually kinda hoping they are working on Onimusha, if only because that will probably mean we'll get an Onimusha HD Collection. Once I've got that then I won't really care what Cacpom does. I've been frustrated enough by their previous decisions, now I just don't care.

nah..Don't hold your breath,Onimusha 1 and 2 uses pre rendered backgrounds, they look garbage unscaled to HD and that will require redoing them completely ( too much work for cheap port job for any publisher).

But on the other hand Onimusha 3 and Dawn of Dream collection is very possible (like RE:CV and RE4 HD Collection) but unlike the RE games ..Oni3 and DoD are the bad games in the series.

Vamphuntr

I had no idea what was Spark Unlimited before the LP3 reveal :/

It seems awfully easy to get big Capcom IPs. Especially if you take into accounts that some of the western devs they are using have made pretty terrible games in the past.

It really does seem like most of their ressources are on Dragon's Dogma, RE 6 and their fighting games. I guess it could explain why they are outsourcing left and right.

I also think it's time Capcom invested money to translate the documentation of their MT Framework and let their partners use it. The engine is pretty good and is part of the Capcom experience to me.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I hope to god it has no more legs than what it already has. I mean how in god's name did it even sell as well as it did, it didn't even have much marketing behind it =/

Capcom loyal fans and the RE brand power itself can do wonders/horrible things sometimes.

Mengetsu

After seeing what CyberConnect 2 can do lately with Naruto and Asuras Wrath this news makes me sad if true. I would always hoped that they would end up taking over Onimusha cause they can do good designs on monsters, characters and do great boss battles. Hell they could do a very good fighting system if given the chance since that's all Asura was missing.

nah..Don't hold your breath,Onimusha 1 and 2 uses pre rendered backgrounds, they look garbage unscaled to HD and that will require redoing them completely ( too much work for cheap port job for any publisher).

But on the other hand Onimusha 3 and Dawn of Dream collection is very possible (like RE:CV and RE4 HD Collection) but unlike the RE games ..Oni3 and DoD are the bad games in the series.

Onimusha 3's got a retarded story and bad atmosphere but it probably plays the best out of any of the games.

Shin Onimusha's a bad game, but it'd be a lot less bad if we got the Japanese version of the game that doesn't have vastly inflated boss/enemy health and has better item drop rates (IIRC).

Ninja Theory would've been a fantastic fit for Onimusha. That's a big part of why pairing them with DMC was especially weird, because they're an awful fit for that franchise, *and* that franchise didn't need a reboot/refocusing the way Onimusha did.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It really does seem like most of their ressources are on Dragon's Dogma, RE 6 and their fighting games. I guess it could explain why they are outsourcing left and right.

A lot of the work on their fighting games is actually done by either DIMPS or Eighting depending on the title.

Pachimari

Which IP's has Capcom outsourced so far and to whom? I know about these:

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City - Slant Six Games
Dead Rising 2
DmC Devil May Cry - Ninja Theory
Lost Planet 3 - Spark Unlimited
(Probably) Onimusha - Spark Unlimited

I hope to god it has no more legs than what it already has. I mean how in god's name did it even sell as well as it did, it didn't even have much marketing behind it =/
How many copies?

And yea, I too think this could be Onimusha.

V_Ben

Banned
I could totally see Capcom picking up Spark if LP3 does well critically. They did say they were in the market for another western studio, right?

Carbonox

Which IP's has Capcom outsourced so far and to whom? I know about these:

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City - Slant Six Games
Dead Rising 2
DmC Devil May Cry - Ninja Theory
Lost Planet 3 - Spark Unlimited
(Probably) Onimusha - Spark Unlimited

How many copies?

And yea, I too think this could be Onimusha.

Bionic Commando - GRIN
Dark Void - Airtight Games

Could pretty much say Street Fighter as well, given Nirolak's post.

wrowa

Good independent studios are struggling to stay afloat and Spark Unlimited is growing.

I don't get this world.

Maximo_vs._Army_of_Zin.jpg

The last Maximo was a fun blend of tough platforming and simple swordfighting, and it positively nailed the playful horror/Halloweentown aesthetic. Plus, it ended on a cliffhanger, and Capcom would never leave us hanging like that.

GrayFoxPL

Why, why give Onimusha and Lost Planet to devs of Turning Point? It's completely moronic to the 9th degree. Did they offer to work for free?

Top Bottom