• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Specs for nVidia Ampere Supposedly Leaked

thelastword

Banned
R&D costs don't remain the same per generation but are increasing per generation. Furthermore, the dollar is worth less than it was worth several years ago, hence more dollars are needed to equal the profit generated several years ago.
I understand that, but you should also be aware that NVIDIA's asking price for the Turing series was no where near the manufacturing price. The 2080ti cost Nvidia about $400 to make, yet check how much they charged. The technology Nvidia used for RT was already found in mobile hardware from 2016.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I understand that, but you should also be aware that NVIDIA's asking price for the Turing series was no where near the manufacturing price. The 2080ti cost Nvidia about $400 to make, yet check how much they charged. The technology Nvidia used for RT was already found in mobile hardware from 2016.

Well, damn. Share holders' demands, maybe?

CuNi

Barely no one is selling anywhere close to manufacturing price because as people said, while it may cost $400 to manufacture, you have to include R&D, PR, Logistics etc. into it and then you also want to make a profit out of your product by what.. 20-30% ?

You only sell with a small profit or at a break even point when you can monetize your product in its lifecycle like GaaS etc. If your product is Hardware that cannot be upgraded/monetized down the road, your prices are high because you need to offset all the things I said above like PR etc.

R&D costs don't remain the same per generation but are increasing per generation. Furthermore, the dollar is worth less than it was worth several years ago, hence more dollars are needed to equal the profit generated several years ago.
You are correct, but NVIDIA is 100% price-gouging as well. The 2080 Ti didn’t cost $250 more to manufacture and R&D than the 1080 Ti. It was simply a big corporation holding a virtual monopoly on the high-end market testing how far it could go.

Last edited:
You are correct, but NVIDIA is 100% price-gouging as well. The 2080 Ti didn’t cost $250 more to manufacture and R&D than the 1080 Ti. It was simply a big corporation holding a virtual monopoly on the high-end market testing how far it could go.
It's the market we get when there isn't any competition. AMD was so poorly managed and misguided that they essentially gave the entire mid-high end of the market to Nvidia leaving consumers with no choice to either settle for shit or cough up the dough.

I couldn't believe how dog shit the 20xx series was when compared to the 1080ti and at such an inflated price too. I wanted to upgrade but the 20xx series was a joke if you had a 10xx series card already. And then they raised all the prices across the board. So sad. AMD needs to get their shit together.

BlazinAm

I think 600 for the 3070 is fine for the performance of the 2080ti. Nvidia knows that there is be a ton of excess 2080ti cards on the market for a while. Gives them room to drop pricing against AMD should they match the price/performance ratio. I don't like the giant gap between 3080 and 3090; we know that there will be a 10GB and a 20GB model but leaving the pricing up to AIB is insane, 20GB models are going to be be close to the 3090 that you might as well get one of those instead.

Nvidia prices wouldn't be so high if AMD actually competed on the high end.

It's been a LONG time now where Nvidia has held the high end and even the mid range. So unless you were happy with with budget or mainstream RX480 level performance you HAD to go Nvidia.

Sure the 5700 series finally increased the performance envelope a bit but it was literally 2 years behind Nvidia. And that's what kept happening for YEARS. Nvidia would come out with some new GPUs and there would be rumors about how AMD would respond but in the end it would be another 18 MONTHS until that rumor materialized into an actual GPU you could buy, and even then it would be less powerful than it was rumored, draw more power and be more expensive (than the rumors). Meanwhile Nvidia has been selling GPUs the whole time and it gearing up for their next gen.

Big Navi is SUPPOSED to go a long way to change this situation, but I won't hype it. I will expect to be disappointed and just wait for benchmarks.

Rikkori

According to our sources, NVIDIA is set to launch three SKUs in September: RTX 3090 24GB, RTX 3080 10GB and RTX 3070 8GB. We have learned that board partners are also preparing a second variant of the RTX 3080 featuring twice the memory (20GB). However, that model is yet ‘TBA’ and it might launch later. This post is only about RTX 3090 and RTX 3080.

Rikkori

ZOTAC-RTX-30-Series.jpg

Anki

Banned

Nice, 3070 also coming out in September, I will wait for benchmark first and see how it performs on 1440p.

Hostile_18

Banned
Looks like it's the 3070 for me. If it matches the 2080ti but at a lower cost is that all or is it better/worse in other ways? I'll have to keep my eye on price drops of existing cards as well.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

ZOTAC-RTX-30-Series.jpg

So most likely the RTX 3070 will also have a September launch
But it isnt using GDDRX? Thats abit of a shame, the gap between 3070 and 3080 might be a pretty large one then but a 220W TDP sounds sweet.

Was hoping for GDDR6X but will be happy if the reduced bandwidth leads to a more agreeable price.

Now for that Aorus or Strix card.

Looks like they are tall as fuck though.
ZOTAC-RTX-30-series-2.jpg

Rikkori

Looks like it's the 3070 for me. If it matches the 2080ti but at a lower cost is that all or is it better/worse in other ways? I'll have to keep my eye on price drops of existing cards as well.
8gb only vs 11, and lower bandwidth. Not bad all things considered but 8gb is just very lame in 2021. It almost certainly means you'll have to reduce texture quality and/or streaming distance/detail.

Ellery

What if Nvidia were to release...a 3090Ti six months to a year from now, with 36GB of GDDR6X?

At some point the diminishing returns and costs are skyrocketing. They would need to wait for 7nm or other manufacturing nodes to be more mature and by that time they are probably releasing a 4090. It wouldn't be unusual to see a 4090 Ampere Refresh in 2021 with on better 7nm.

I heavily doubt that they are bringing a 36GB 3090 Ti in six months that consumes 400W+.

Hostile_18

Banned
8gb only vs 11, and lower bandwidth. Not bad all things considered but 8gb is just very lame in 2021. It almost certainly means you'll have to reduce texture quality and/or streaming distance/detail.

Bit of a shit compromise to make in a $700 dollar card tbh. Will have to think on it vs the PS5 route.

Celcius

°Temp. member
As we get closer I'm getting more hyped. Not sure if I want to try to just get my hands on the founders edition as fast as possible or wait for an evga model.

Calverz

I mean i currently have a gtx 1660. I bought the pc about a year ago and at the time didnt onow much about pc gaming. I wish i got at least an rtx 2060 but i cheaped out knowing i would upgrade with a 30 series card.

Now i use an ultrawide 1440p monitor and i love it. But i have to turn detail down a lot dependent on games. My card is 6gb. So at the moment i really dont know what to do.

I sort of want to have games at minimum 60fps at 1440p ultrawide with near ultra settings. What gb card would people reccommend. Im not gonna spend over $1,000 though.

Orta

Banned
The 3090 is basically the old Titan tier. My guess is that Nvidia is saving a spot for the 3080 Ti between the 3080 and the 3090 depending on how competitive Big Navi will be. If Big Navi can’t even touch the 3080, they’ll just delay the 3080 Ti a year or even skip it entirely.

The upside of this is, technically this is a price drop for the Titan tier. The downside is, you either cough up for what used to be the Titan or you settle for the 3080, or you wait for a 3080 Ti which may or may not one day be released depending on how generous Jensen feels in 6 months to a year.

I’ll just buy the 3090 and be done with it. It’s not like I‘m poor these days with NVDA over $500 a share. People who have AMD stock have nothing to whine about either, just pay the man his money with your NVDA and/or AMD earnings already. Jensen helped you out with his stock price launching into low-Earth orbit, you owe him something in return anyways.

Last edited:

Loke

I mean i currently have a gtx 1660. I bought the pc about a year ago and at the time didnt onow much about pc gaming. I wish i got at least an rtx 2060 but i cheaped out knowing i would upgrade with a 30 series card.

Now i use an ultrawide 1440p monitor and i love it. But i have to turn detail down a lot dependent on games. My card is 6gb. So at the moment i really dont know what to do.

I sort of want to have games at minimum 60fps at 1440p ultrawide with near ultra settings. What gb card would people reccommend. Im not gonna spend over $1,000 though.

Funny, I'm almost in the exact spot though I have a GTX 1060 6GB card. The 3080 looks good but that price is ridiculous, and of course it's gonna cost even more here in Sweden. I'm waiting to see what AMD is up to with their Big Navi before I decide though.

Calverz

Funny, I'm almost in the exact spot though I have a GTX 1060 6GB card. The 3080 looks good but that price is ridiculous, and of course it's gonna cost even more here in Sweden. I'm waiting to see what AMD is up to with their Big Navi before I decide though.
Well im actually in UK so im guessing price will be ludicrous. My worry is if i wait, i may miss out on stock. I mean a while ago i looked at maybe getting an rtx 2070 or something couldnt see much other than founders edition on nvidia site.
Do we know when amd will show big navi cards??

Rikkori

Twice as fast with RTX ON (so I assume DLSS + RT) (edit: saw bottom corner so 4k dlss confirmed) compared to 2080 Ti.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Twice as fast with RTX ON (so I assume DLSS + RT) compared to 2080 Ti.

Whoopee!! That means I'd be able to play Control at 25fps instead of the 12fps I get with my 2080 at the same settings with no DLSS

Waiting for 4xxx cards in 2022/3 confirmed.

OLED TV & PS5 gets my money this year.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Whoopee!! That means I'd be able to play Control at 25fps instead of the 12fps I get with my 2080 at the same settings with no DLSS

Waiting for 4xxx cards in 2022/3 confirmed.

OLED TV & PS5 gets my money this year.
If you can wait then that's a good call. RTX 2080 is no slouch.

Rikkori

RT performance scaling in Metro Exodus btw, across resolutions. Vanilla = Ultra settings; High = Ultra settings + RT on High; Ultra = Ultra settings + RT on Ultra. Did it a while back. This would mean that the 4K 60 fps ray tracing dream is achievable (without DLSS).

52lBj6A.png

Last edited:

BlazinAm

I believe that Moore's Law mentioned that there will be a new version of DLSS for the new RTX cards so I would assume that the performance would be even higher given that the memory learning tech would be much better.

There is DLSS 2.0 that has been released recently and I would have to wonder if they did the comparison on the old settings rather than the new one.

Rikkori

I believe that Moore's Law mentioned that there will be a new version of DLSS for the new RTX cards so I would assume that the performance would be even higher given that the memory learning tech would be much better.

There is DLSS 2.0 that has been released recently and I would have to wonder if they did the comparison on the old settings rather than the new one.

His leaks were fake (as I kept telling people), as evident from the fact that RT performance is not 3-4x that of Turing. Really, it was common sense if you knew how RT works, but people certainly can be wilfully gullible & generally stupid.

Reindeer

He also said 3-4X (4-5X initially) RTX gain. Seems like he was also wrong about clocks being 2Ghz+. I wouldn't trust him going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reindeer

His leaks were fake (as I kept telling people), as evident from the fact that RT performance is not 3-4x that of Turing. Really, it was common sense if you knew how RT works, but people certainly can be wilfully gullible & generally stupid.
I never really bought into the whole 3-5X gain he was promoting, it always sounded too much of a leap for one generation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rikkori

NV was said to have locked drivers hard way.
Even furmark isn't running, they've provided their own utility to do the thermals testing.

That's for reviewers/AIBs. Which means that obviously someone else was leaking to him since he knew so many details months in advance ;)

BlazinAm

He also said 3-4X (4-5X initially) RTX gain. Seems like he was also wrong about clocks being 2Ghz+. I wouldn't trust him going forward.

I think he said 2ghz was an internal optimistic goal. It's probably possible with a water-cooled GPU from EVGA.... But the thing he has been hammer home was the memory clock would max out at 21Gbps when overclocked.

skneogaf

I'm interested to see the 3090 on pci-e 3.0 vs 4.0 as I only have pci-e 3.0 and don't plan changing any time soon.

I'm sure pci-e 3.0 has enough bandwidth but it's definitely something I'm concerned about.

I'm hoping that pci-e 4.0 is more for the ssd's than the next few generations of gpu's.

Top Bottom