• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Specs for nVidia Ampere Supposedly Leaked

Siri

Banned
Until now 4k ist very much pure GPU.

This certainly wasn’t the case for me.

I went from a 4930k hexacore cpu to a 9900k and my RTX 2080 TI at 4K was clearly being held back by the older cpu.

Also, it’s worth noting that when you buy a brand new PC you’re not just upgrading your CPU, obviously, but everything, your ram, your motherboard., etc.

Before buying my RTX 2080 TI I was fairly certain that at 4K I wouldn’t be bottlenecked - but I was, and I discovered this within minutes of booting up my new pc. An RTX 3090 or 3080 should really be paired with a fairly modern platform, IMO.

Type_Raver

This certainly wasn’t the case for me.

I went from a 4930k hexacore cpu to a 9900k and my RTX 2080 TI at 4K was clearly being held back by the older cpu.

Also, it’s worth noting that when you buy a brand new PC you’re not just upgrading your CPU, obviously, but everything, your ram, your motherboard., etc.

Before buying my RTX 2080 TI I was fairly certain that at 4K I wouldn’t be bottlenecked - but I was, and I discovered this within minutes of booting up my new pc. An RTX 3090 or 3080 should really be paired with a fairly modern platform, IMO.

Agreed.

I plan on getting the RTX 3080 once available. Similarly, I plan to upgrade from my i7 3930k to at least an 8 core Zen 3 CPU to unleash the gpu's performance.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Do you think that my i5 8600k is not good enough for a 3080??

Depends . If you're playing on 4k then perhaps the bottleneck isn't that obvious . But for 1440p or below and if you're looking for high FPS then you might need an upgrade . Certain games are quite cpu intensive too , I've tested RoTR and Crysis3 and gained 20-30FPS easily from upgrading 1600 to 3700x with an 1080Ti .

GymWolf

Depends . If you're playing on 4k then perhaps the bottleneck isn't that obvious . But for 1440p or below and if you're looking for high FPS then you might need an upgrade . Certain games are quite cpu intensive too , I've tested RoTR and Crysis3 and gained 20-30FPS easily from upgrading 1600 to 3700x with an 1080Ti .
yeah the 3080 is for playing at 4k, 1800p for heavier games, and i don't care for more than 60 fps.

how many fps can i gain (in general) from overclocking my 8600k? it's stock right now.

Type_Raver

yeah the 3080 is for playing at 4k, 1800p for heavier games, and i don't care for more than 60 fps.

how many fps can i gain (in general) from overclocking my 8600k? it's stock right now.

In addition, for those not gaming at 4k yet desire the 3080, it just means its likely to last that while longer, possibly a generation of GPU's more until your next upgrade requirement / when the games need it.

Rikkori

DeafeningLiveGannet-small.gif

Rikkori

B O O M! 21 Gbps GDDR6x CONFIRMED for 3090! 1 TB/s bandwidth. :messenger_fire: :messenger_fire: :messenger_fire:

Rikkori

RTX 3090 = RTX Titan replacement (Gaming) = $2000
RTX 3080 = RTX 2080 Ti replacement = $1200
RTX 30?? = RTX 2080 Super replacement = same price $699
RTX 30?? = RTX 2070 Super replacement = same price $499
etc.

So the 2080 Super replacement should be = 2080 ti in performance for $699

CuNi

Only 12GB for the 3090? Bummer.
I hope the 80 and/or 80ti gets 12GB then too. Anything below is a waste to begin with tbh.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Haha!, if Jensen announces a $2000 price tag for the 3090, and assuming its the direct 2080Ti replacement & not just the new name for the Titan cards, I hope someone walks on stage and kicks him the nuts.

..because that will probably be the only way of knocking some sense back into the GPU market.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
RTX 3090 = RTX Titan replacement (Gaming) = $2000
RTX 3080 = RTX 2080 Ti replacement = $1200
RTX 30?? = RTX 2080 Super replacement = same price $699
RTX 30?? = RTX 2070 Super replacement = same price $499
etc.

So the 2080 Super replacement should be = 2080 ti in performance for $699

So, as usual, the "Ti" card (3080Ti) will come a few months later? Also, since it'll be priced between the 3080 and 3090, would it cost $1600?

Last edited:
Anyone familiar with Chinese pricing?

Coud be $2000 is a simple conversion and not the actual price we can expect from a 3090.

This guy is saying $1500 USD for the 3090.

That's still $1000 for the 3080 if true. Damn.

Last edited:
I don't believe those prices for a sec.

Now 3070 = 2080 ti +10% = 450$ is more like it.

------
If according to that crazy chart 2080 super replacement only reaching 2080 ti then its too much of a fail even for nvidia.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Added $/perf. Note: I don't mention vram, so it might seem more expensive because of it. But if you consider that it might end up with 24 GB 3090 & 20 GB 3080, it's less bad. Maybe.

fH8GUAJ.png

ZywyPL

Banned

I don't think they'll ditch the "Ti" brand, it's just way to strong to drop it just like that, they know people want it. Or maybe they are testing the waters, to see how many people will be willing to give them 2k instead of gettting a non-Ti 3080, to check how far they can really go with their pricing.

I don't think they'll ditch the "Ti" brand, it's just way to strong to drop it just like that, they know people want it. Or maybe they are testing the waters, to see how many people will be willing to give them 2k instead of gettting a non-Ti 3080, to check how far they can really go with their pricing.
They might release it later and sandwich it between the 3080 and 3090.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Well...
THAT'S INSANE!!!
Only the price for the 3080 would be insane, right, since it would be about $150 more expensive than the 2080 was when it was released? As for the 3090, assuming that it's a successor to the RTX Titan, wouldn't it be a bargain at $1300 to $1500 since the RTX Titan costs $2500?

Also, why are people surprised that the 3090 would have 24GB of VRAM, considering that the RTX Titan also has 24GB of VRAM?

Rikkori

Maybe they will add it back for the refresh next year? Supposedly there's still 1 Ti used, for 3070. Don't mind the performance too much, that's just the difference in cuda cores between them. Obviously memory speed & others will play a role so who knows what it will be.

yML54R6.png

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Those prices drain all the fun of being a PC gamer. WTF happened to the good old days when you'd be getting more power for the SAME price?

McHuj

Maybe they will add it back for the refresh next year? Supposedly there's still 1 Ti used, for 3070. Don't mind the performance too much, that's just the difference in cuda cores between them. Obviously memory speed & others will play a role so who knows what it will be.

yML54R6.png

Yeah, these tiers scream that there's a big hole between the 3080 and 3090 that could be filled with a 12GB GPU and slight bump in cores over the base 3080, priced at $1499.

Having an 2080, an upgrade is really hard to justify this time around at these prices. 50%+ increase in cost over what I paid for my 2080 two years ago and not much software out now to really push the need for an upgrade.

CuNi

Those prices drain all the fun of being a PC gamer. WTF happened to the good old days when you'd be getting more power for the SAME price?

People kept buying increasingly prices cards and showed Nvidia that they actually can get away with that.

OK, guys so I've found the Chinese prices and it may not be as expensive as we think.

As you can see right here, the price of the 2080 Ti varies from 10,000 ($1,439) Yuan to 13,000 ($1,871 USD) Yuan. The 2080 Ti in the US varies from $1,099 to $1499. The prices in China seem to be 25-30% higher than here.

Using some table napkin maths, the 3090 ranges from 12,000 Yuan ($1,727) to 14,000 Yuan ($2,015) which gives us a USD range of $1328 USD to $1550 USD.

3090: $1300-1600 USD
3080: >$850

If the rumors of the 24GB of the 3090 are correct then I can see why it would cost even more than the 2080 Ti. The price disparity also leaves a gaping hole between the two SKU's which could fit a 3080 Ti down the line at 16GB and $1,100-1,300.

So yeah, the prices are higher but I don't think $2,000 is accurate. More like $1,600 at most and that's for retail prices, not the bullshit MSRP's which no one ever sees.

TIg1xUZ.png

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I just want the 3080ti, if its between $800-$1200 I'm good. Also please release early September.

Edit: also in that rumor 3080ti isn't mentioned, that card is for sure happening right? I don't care about the 3090 since it'll be a bit much more than likely.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
It has been rumored that the card that will be the successor to the Nvidia Titan RTX will be named the RTX 3090 and that it will cost $2000 and have 24GB of GDDR6X.

However, I'm perplexed by people's surprise at the last two pieces of information since the Nvidia Titan RTX costs a whopping $2500 - which is $500 more than what its successor would cost according to speculation - and has an amount of VRAM (24GB) that would be equal to what its successor would have according to speculation.

Why are people surprised, considering that the price of the 3090 would be cheaper and the amount of VRAM that it would have would be equal to the price and amount of VRAM of the Titan RTX?

In regard to the VRAM, is it because the 3090 would have newer and faster VRAM (GDDR6X) and therefore it is believed that an equal amount is unnecessary? If that's the reason that people are surprised, then shouldn't people consider that graphical demands have increased and therefore 24GB of GDDR6X relative to future graphical demands is proportional to 24GB of GDDR6 relative to the graphical demands of the RTX 2000's era?

Last edited:

martino

yML54R6.png

so now even accounting node reduction card with ~ same cu count (2080ti -> 3080) cost more than the previous gen (999 -> 1199 for msrp)
i wonder how big the chip is in this case
they probably add lot of rt/tensor core too.

seems i can't follow and don't really want to support where nvidia tech choice is leading us with those enormous chips. Price are really getting out of hand.

Rikkori

so now even accounting node reduction card with ~ same cu count (2080ti -> 3080) cost more than the previous gen (999 -> 1199 for msrp)

seems i can't follow and don't really want to support where nvidia tech choice is leading us with those enormous chips. Price are really getting out of hand.
Granted, keep in mind FE MSRP was $1199 too, and in fact that was the general price anyway. The $999 2080 Ti existed only on paper but never in reality. Supposedly there's a lot more structural changes to the chips themselves, so who knows how they end up looking. I think in the end Nvidia is simply going to pocket the higher margins from having went with Samsung instead of TSMC.

aP6ryAG.png

2000 for a gpu sounds insane especially at current climate but enthusiast will buy it no matter what.
Not gonna be $2,000. That'd be 18,000 Yuan, not 14,000. Add another 30% on top of the converted price when going from USD to Yuan.

14,000 Yuan would translate to about $1550 USD.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Because nvidea isn’t selling those high end cards like console makers sell consoles.
The bitcoinhype made them believe this.

Most used gpu on steam was the GTX1060
A console priced card. There is where the money is. What nvidea needs to do is offer ps5/Xs. Gfx for around 400. 500.

only silly tits like me spend idiot cash on high ends. Heck the 2070S was about my limit without feeling like a complete jack ass

Top Bottom