• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculation based on trademark minutia: Nintendo NX to use cartridges

I wonder if a NX console would have New 3DS style exclusives. I could see that happening to facilitate third-parties.

I expect Nintendo to do something similar to what they did in Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons. The game ran on a GameBoy Color, but if you ran it on a GBA, a special in-game store opened up with GBA exclusive items.

In other words, their first-party games will run on both portable and console, but playing it on either will unlock additional, exclusive features that are only available on that specific device.

This way, no one is left out from playing the game outright, but if you DO buy both devices, you are rewarded for it.

Business

tumblr_n2jare5riw1skh0gdo1_400.gif

//DEVIL//

lol. its not happening unless the NX is a 3DS evolved lol or use both Cartridges and BR.

manufacture cost alone will spike the games to at least 80$ per game for end user. i don't see that happening. plus opening the chances for piracy etc.

I for one welcome it, would love it too, but I don't think its happening.

I ask again. Psvita testkits have hdmi output (same console than retail with extra outputs). It's an hybrid?

I cant buy those testkits. The testkit would be a hybrid. Vita TV is not. You were asking about Vita TV.

iPhone and iPad are no hybrids. They are different products with a shared architecture.

lherre

Accurate
I cant buy those testkits. The testkit would be a hybrid. Vita TV is not.

iPhone and iPad are no hybrids. They are different products with a shared architecture.

It was an example. I want to know what concept of hybrid the people has.

So a handheld with a tv output is a hybrid and that this kind of option appears to be crazy and ruled out by Nintendo.

Branduil

Whether this has any connection or not, using cartridges would make a lot of sense. You only need to buy one piece of physical media for both systems, and cartridges aren't the margin-killers they used to be.

LewieP

I love the idea but the one thing I'm afraid of is Nintendo having a max cart size of 16 GB instead of 32 GB.

3DS and Vita both use max 4 GB so 16 GB is a good step up but allowing 32 GB allows for larger assets to be used. It would also be helpful for 3rd party games.

The only two Nintendo published titles that I remember crossing 20 GB are Lego City Undercover and Xenoblade Chronicles X. I could definitely see the new Zelda being under 16 GB with the limited voice work and not have the large number on NPC's and different monsters a game like Xenoblade X would have.

Bayonetta 1 & 2 didn't even fit on the Wii U internal memory.

ZombAid82

okay new idea:

march 2017:
-launch with zelda nx, smash bros., pikmin 4, and new ip w/ console ($299.99)

november 2017:
-launch with super mario galaxy 3, super smash kart, and animal crossing w/ handheld ($199.99)

fill in the rest of the year with retro's game, splatoon nx, and super mario maker.

of course, both systems use cards.

I can get behind this, but not my wallet ;-)

I think cartridges will work just fine especially since flash memory has become small and cheap, while increasing in capacity.

Better yet, I believe it'll be more like they can fit in the controller as well if needed on the go.

It was an example. I want to know what concept of hybrid the people has.

So a handheld with a tv output is a hybrid and that this kind of option appears to be crazy and ruled out by Nintendo.

Whats so difficult about the word hybrid? It´s, in this context, a device that can be a handheld and a console in one device. The Vita was and is a powerhouse as a handheld, yet it would be a shitty home-console to compete at the modern market. Not even starting with the hassle to connect it to your tv everytime only to sync some controllers to it. You may get a good handheld, but a shitty homeconsole. Or vice versa.

I dont know if its crazy. But Nintendo is going the Apple TV, iPad, iOS way.
It´s not a hybrid. ^^

Edit: If you all want a hybrid, just ask Nintendo to implement a Chromecast option into the handheld. There, now you have a hybrid.

tkscz

Would mean much faster load times.

I can get behind that. Not sure about storage space though.

remember, solid state drives and flash drives are based on the same tech as carts (ssd are basically just carts) and they are up to terabytes storage wise.

Adryuu

However, Ever Oasis mentions game discs and it is a 3DS game....soooo this might not mean much.

Isn't Ever Oasis an unreleased game just announced for 3DS? Maybe they're thinking of doing also a Wii U version and the trademark reflects that.

I always thought NX could be a portable 720p (1080p I hope) system with Wii U power more or less and with ports to hook it up to a tv and current Wii/U accessories. It would use cartridges. It'd be interesting that way.

Our everything could just be speculation far removed from truth.

lherre

Accurate
Whats so difficult about the word hybrid? It´s, in this context, a device that can be a handheld and a console in one device. The Vita was and is a powerhouse as a handheld, yet it would be a shitty home-console to compete at the modern market. Not even starting with the hassle to connect it to your tv everytime only to sync some controllers to it. You may get a good handheld, but a shitty homeconsole. Or vice versa.

I dont know if its crazy. But Nintendo is going the Apple TV, iPad, iOS way.
It´s not a hybrid. ^^

Edit: If you all want a hybrid, just ask Nintendo to implement a Chromecast link. There, now you have a hybrid.

No no i believe you and Nintendo

well no, really not. Let me have my "doubts"

This really doesn't confirm it. The other rumor made more sense i think, it was more solid. The trademark could just be covering possibilities.

i do think that cartridges can comeback even taught they still cant compete with optical in terms of cost per storage.

LewieP

They're still individual games that are below 20 GB (but I think both are above 16 GB IIRC).

There are several Nintendo games that cross 16 GB but I just highlighted the biggest two.

Aye, I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just commenting on an absurd situation related to filesizes of Nintendo games.

They are separate games, but were sold together.

TH-Work

Banned
Awesome :) If this is true than all games will be probably working on the console and handheld, just with different visuals ;)

Edit: They could also save the money for Blu-Ray Drive and invest it in a better CPU and GPU :)

TheJoRu

Here's why it's not a hybrid: Nintendo are projecting 3DS sales to have only a modest drop (natural for a product in its sixth year) in FY2016/17 even with NX revealed in 2016, whereas Wii U sales are projected to drop like a rock.

No no i believe you and Nintendo

well no, really not. Let me have my "doubts"

So you chose to believe in a mindset thats deeply rooted in the 80s/90s to have a cheap all in one device that somehow connects via cabels and base stations, probably with additional hardware power instead of a regular handheld thats (maybe) capable of streaming and a seperate home- console with a shared library and OS. One Frankenstein versus cheap alternatives that fit the demands of the customer each with access to the same appstore.

Ok.

I wonder why there is no hdmi out on my ipad. I dont believe apple not announcing it. I am also outraged at Nintendo not including female link.

nightside

It wouldn't be cartridges like the NES, SNES, & N64, but rather game cards like the DS & 3DS (since Macronix is supposedly the manufacturer for the NX cartridges, the same guys who did the DS & 3DS cartridges).
  • Having a cartridge-based platform allows for the same physical copy to be used across the NX Console & NX Handheld, thus not forcing the platform as a whole to be digital-only to get the point of a shared library across (if that's the route Nintendo's going, which may end up being the case). This would also benefit Nintendo in the long-run because they only have to print one copy of a game rather than two, thus saving money overall.
  • Using cartridges instead of discs also allows for Nintendo to avoid having to install game assets to the device's hard drive, which can help in saving space for the user. Nintendo has bypassed the need for installations for the most part with the Wii U (Xenoblade X aside), so Nintendo may want to continue this trend. Also by virtue of the faster transfer speeds, load times would be cut down by a considerable degree. Not to mention that you can put your save data on the cartridge itself.
  • The use of cartridges for the NX Platform also cuts down on the number of moving parts, which would be a bigger benefit for the NX Console. Not only would said NX Console be able to last longer without breaking down, but Nintendo can cut costs down by not needing a disc drive. Said saved costs can be either diverted towards improving the NX Console (Ex: adding a better CPU, GPU, more RAM, etc.) or just lowering the price tag of the NX Console.

I'd add "power consumption" a card reader consumes way less than an optical drive and Nintendo of late seems kinda obsessed with having a machine not power thirsty and maybe Nintendo won't underclock the cpu and the gpu.

I think some people are confused what hybrid means.

This is not one system that does two things like stay at home to play on tv or take it on the go in your backpack to play. The rumor is it's multiple systems.

LewieP

I think some people are confused what hybrid means.

This is not one system that does two things like stay at home to play on tv or take it on the go in your backpack to play. The rumor is it's multiple systems.

So the iPhone and the iPad are a hybrid device?

What you are describing is entirely in line with what Nintendo have said, and a logical strategy for them.

It's not a hybrid.

So the iPhone and the iPad are a hybrid device?

What you are describing is entirely in line with what Nintendo have said, and a logical strategy for them.

It's not a hybrid.

I never said it was a hybrid. I said its multiple systems. I think I didn't explain it properly lol.

Thats not a rumor. Its an offical quote from the last ceo.
And having multiple systems is not a hybrid.

Lol I said its not a hybrid. I was explaining some people think the NX is a hybrid-two systems in one.

Even though Iwata has said he wants multiple systems with same OS, I have to be cautious to still call it a rumor for multiple systems because the NX hasn't been revealed, yet.

lherre

Accurate
So you chose to believe in a mindset thats deeply rooted in the 80s/90s to have a cheap all in one device that somehow connects via cabels and base stations, probably with additional hardware power instead of a regular handheld thats (maybe) capable of streaming and a seperate home- console with a shared library and OS. One Frankenstein versus cheap alternatives that fit the demands of the customer each with access to the same appstore.

Ok.

I wonder why there is no hdmi out on my ipad. I dont believe apple not announcing it. I am also outraged at Nintendo not including female link.

You are misunderstanding me I think.

But it's clear, you believe in something, I believe other things. It's fine.

:)

Simbabbad

I can see the news articles now: "*3rd party Dev* explains Nintendo's return to cartridges is the reason why they won't develop for the console", "Why 3rd parties don't like the NX", "Production prices for NX's cartridges scare off 3rd party publishers".
I play most of my 360 games from my USB card, and obviously the 3DS already works on cards. This obviously won't happen.

plus opening the chances for piracy etc.
Wouldn't that decrease? Aren't 3DS cards more secure than disks you can read anywhere?

Funny how people behave like it's not the current situation already on 3DS.

These days disc drives aren't the culprit for any of that.
Oh yes, they are. As soon as my Wii U doesn't have a disc in, it's perfectly silent.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm not getting it guys.. What's the deal here ? Why are people talking about hybrid or carts for the home console ?

If anything, it tells us there will be a portable version of Zelda (which is in itself amazing), that will have a different media than the home console, which will use discs..

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
lol. its not happening unless the NX is a 3DS evolved lol or use both Cartridges and BR.

manufacture cost alone will spike the games to at least 80$ per game for end user. i don't see that happening. plus opening the chances for piracy etc.

I for one welcome it, would love it too, but I don't think its happening.

WTF? SD cards are like $12 for 32GB retail price. When you consider that Nintendo would be buying in bulk at wholesale prices, I'd be surprised if it comes out to more than a couple dollars more than a BD-ROM disc.

Taker666

It would certainly make sense from a Nintendo point of view.

Lower power consumption, quiet, fewer moving parts, much smaller form factor, less internal storage space( as games will likely read straight from the card as opposed to being installed). Lower shipping costs, fewer materials needed, less packaging, takes up less shelf space in stores and in warehouses. Cheaper hardware for consumers.

The big risk will be in regards to bigger games which need bigger cards...as they'll either be more costly or need a fair bit of compression/lower quality assets to fit.

jett

D-Member
Oh yes, they are. As soon as my Wii U doesn't have a disc in, it's perfectly silent.

I guess that sucks for the Wii U, but uh more modern consoles install everything to the HDD, the disc never spins after that, so it's a non-event.

Alienous

I'm not getting it guys.. What's the deal here ? Why are people talking about hybrid or carts for the home console ?

If anything, it tells us there will be a portable version of Zelda (which is in itself amazing), that will have a different media than the home console, which will use discs..

The Wii U version will use a disc. That's what people are assuming the disc means.

The carts are making people think that's what the NX will use, and given Nintendo's statements have people thinking that (if it has handheld and console versions) both would use the same format - cartridges.

But it could use a different format for each.

WTF? SD cards are like $12 for 32GB retail price. When you consider that Nintendo would be buying in bulk at wholesale prices, I'd be surprised if it comes out to more than a couple dollars more than a BD-ROM disc.

They don't even need real SD cards but cheaper ROM (Read-Only) cards.

But I am a bit curious how patches will work. Usually third party games have a several GB patches day one. If they are saved to a HDD or internal memory some one of the many advantages of cartridges (no big hdd needed) is gone.

I guess that sucks for the Wii U, but uh more modern consoles install everything to the HDD, the disc never spins after that, so it's a non-event.

They are so modern they have to install because their drives are so slow.
On Wii U you can have each game purely digital or as a Disc with no installs.
Modern.

Nanashrew

Banned

But that just makes a good point for cards and shows how inefficient discs are now. Read speeds aren't fast enough, and faster read speeds for discs creates more noise and heat, so a large part of the game is moved to the HDD so the HDD can do the grunt work.

Top Bottom