• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPECULATION: NX is Android Tablet Targeted At Kids, $199, Cartridges, NFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

Thread: OP pulls shit from his ass and clickbaits us into reading it.

Thank fuck it's only speculation though.

The thing is, the actual leaks from developers who have dev kits have told us the NX device has a Nintendo-grown OS. If it is derived from Android, it's going to be as recognisable as Android as VitaOS and OrbisOS are as recognisable as FreeBSD.

There's also no chance Nintendo will include the Google Play Store and Google Play Services on their device. In doing so they completely cede control over to Google, which they'd be doing by adopting Android in the first place. Nintendo would have to make sure that their specific, special version of Android gets updated every year to match a new version of Android, and they'd be conflicting with Google's own decisions in where it leads its Android platform.

Google’s iron grip on Android: Controlling open source by any means necessary

Then there's the notion of including the Google Play Store on the NX in the first place: Developers will have zero incentive to actually support the NX hardware when bringing over games that have an Android version, having two stores will confuse customers and expose customers to software that's poorly optimised for the NX hardware or simply isn't designed for it, and Nintendo will earn nothing from game purchases, if a customer picks the Google Play Store instead of the eShop for Android.

That's entirely the wrong approach in my eyes. From Iwata's comments 2-3 years ago, Nintendo is instead focusing on making its software more portable and its development environments more modern so it's easy for devs to bring over their work and make it feel at home on the NX.

Sheroking

I mean, the only really "new" thing you've speculated here is the Android bit. Not a chance that it's an Android device. Nintendo is not getting into bed with Google for a lot of reasons, but they're especially not in the business of handing Apple a timed exclusive of their biggest mobile game only to immediately announce an Android device. It'll run it's own Nintendo crafted OS.

sphinx

the piano man
OP, come on, you are a member since 2007.

you knew very well the topic line was going to backfire at you.

you don't put something like "Nintendo: NX wil cost $299" and then expect us to think there comes a thread with speculation.

Genio88

From the title i thought there were new leaks about NX, just a member gathering the rumors and speculations we've been reading so far instead...Don't know you but i'm pulling myself out from these NX speculation threads, i'm tired of speculate waiting for NX announcement...also the feeling that it won't get announced this month is growing pretty big into me

Alienous

There's no reason for it to be an Android Tablet, especially considering that they are planning to have an Android presence.

The NX, from what we've heard, seems to be in a good position to be a supplementary console that any gamer will pick up for Nintendo and third-party exclusives. As long as they can get the price right ($199 being ideal) I'm sure it'll be a hit. I don't think it's going to compete with phones or tablets, but place itself next to them.

OP, your heart might be in the right place, but:

1. Awful, clickbait title;
2. A lot of fluff in the writeup that makes it a really long post and doesn't really add new information

Better luck next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom