• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Speculation* The Next Assassin’s Creed Could Possibly Go to Feudal Japan.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://segmentnext.com/2018/11/01/assassins-could-possibly-go-to-feudal-japan/#nnn

The basis of this speculation is three symbols we saw in Assassin’s Creed 3 back in 2012. The three symbols seem to be pointing to the future locations of Assassin’s Creed. The symbols point to last year’s Assassin’s Creed Origins, this year’s Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, and the next Assassin’s Creed possibly set in Japan.

Assassins-Creed.jpg

Both Assassin’s Creed Origins and Odyssey revealed more about the first civilization as well as the pieces of Eden. The symbol on the left represents Origins (Egypt), the middle one represents Odyssey (Greece, Sparta), while the one on the right points to Japan which leads us to believe that Assassin’s Creed could be going to Japan next.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Of course they will have had this planned for a while, but boy, releasing Japancreed in the same year as Sekiro, Nioh 2 and Ghost of Tsushima would be a bad idea. The three I already mentioned is too many at once.

Last edited:
Of course they will have had this planned for a while, but boy, releasing Japancreed in the same year as Sekiro, Nioh 2 and Ghost of Tsushima would be a bad idea. The three I already mentioned is too many at once.
It's not expected to come out next year. They abandoned the yearly release schedule with Origins, but it "just so happens" (according to Ubi) that Odyssey was ready to release this year.

Feudal Japan is the location the fans have most been wanting for years. This might actually make me buy an Assassin's Creed game if they do it. Though they need to do something better with the modern story as it used to be great until AC3 ended.

Skyn3t

Banned
Fine with me, just hope they build a brand new game, not a Origins reskin like they did with Odyssey.

Well, that's pretty dang well a smoking gun if one symbol is the Eye of Horus and the other the Omega.

I know Japan was also referenced in AC4, as was Egypt (and.... the Wild West!?)

If it was in the works as far back as 3 then it would be too late for them to go back now even if similar themed games are in the work.

Being a total weeb I say the more games set in Japan the merrier.

But how are they gonna diversify feudal Japan and have it not just be Japanese people? I guess Yasuke could be there in which case, fair enough, but I hope they don't pretend mainstream feudal Japanese society had gender equality because damn would that be stupid as shit.

Really fucking creepy to me how rewriting history is just a thing SJW culture does now.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
But how are they gonna diversify feudal Japan and have it not just be Japanese people? I guess Yasuke could be there in which case, fair enough, but I hope they don't pretend mainstream feudal Japanese society had gender equality because damn would that be stupid as shit.

I think if the cast is already completely non-white then you get a free pass and don't need to diversify further. Someone ought to tell Harvard that, mind.

I think if the cast is already completely non-white then you get a free pass and don't need to diversify further. Someone ought to tell Harvard that, mind.

It's possible being Japan that could get a pass.

But the gender equality thing, if they'll pretend Greece was equal I see no reason to assume they won't for Japan and Japan certainly wasn't equal gender wise in the feudal era, so it'll stick out like a sore thumb and be a total immersion killer.

Why fucking historical settings have to be politically correct now is just fucking beyond me, not to mention the context of Assassin's Creed is the Assassins have always (or almost always) had females Assassins and if it's feudal Japan then the Assassin's will be very ninjalike and there were kunoichi, so you'd think that'd be enough, but it depends on how they'd depict mainstream Japanese society, again, if they'll change Greece they'll change anything.

Why it's not enough to have a female Assassin character bemoan "oh, isn't it lame how unequal our society is!" to please the blue haired brigade and we now have to rewrite history instead is also beyond me.

And adding mythological creatures to Odessy is not a definition of rewriting history? I can't understand your complaint why you would be bothered by one and not the other. It's getting more fantasy like as seen in Origins.

Virex

Banned
It's going to be set in WW2. Been in development since Origins launched. Will be a next-gen game and no Assassin's Creed next year

And adding mythological creatures to Odessy is not a definition of rewriting history? I can't understand your complaint why you would be bothered by one and not the other. It's getting more fantasy like as seen in Origins.

The mythological creatures are drawn from real historical folklore and myths.

Pretending that girls were taught in school equally to boys on the other hand is total modern invention.

Nobody says they have to 100% strictly follow every single detail, but when as the developers said they know it was one thing and they purposely chose it to be another due to political correctness that is downright creepy, if not even depictions of the past are exempt from political correctness you know we've hit a new low.

It's rewriting history and I don't understand why THAT'S not what would be considered offensive, it's akin to saying these prejudices never exited in the first place and you're taking away what was people's real, lived experience.

Warner Brothers released old racist Looney Tunes on dvd with a disclaimer saying the same thing, that wanting to scrub those cartoons from history would be akin to saying those prejudices never existed and that would be wrong and offensive.

As I already said, you can address the prejudices in the context of the game's actual story, there's no need to pretend they didn't exist.

Virex

Banned
I skipped this year....but id be down for Japan, grind and all.
I felt like doing the same. While I did enjoy Origins I wasn't planning on getting Odyssey. But when I went to go pick up my Red Dead Redemption I had a bit of money to burn so I bought Odyssey as well. I haven't touched Red Dead Redemption 2. Because I am having a ton of fun with Odyssey. It a damn fine game.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This had been speculated about the last 4-5 Assassin Creed games. Would love it if it happened though. About the only thing that would get me to play that shit series again.

Um... Odyssey?
Greece is not Rome.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

They will run out of themes soon. What's next? Ass Creed Incas? Ass Creed Woodstock? Ass Creed Circus?
The series could do with a break of a few years to get new ideas.

Hendrick's

They will run out of themes soon. What's next? Ass Creed Incas? Ass Creed Woodstock? Ass Creed Circus?
To be fair, there is a ton they could still do. Off the top of my head:

• Edo period Japan
  • Ming Dynasty China
  • Aztec Empire
  • Russia during Catherine the Greats rule
  • Any modern day / future city

Skyn3t

Banned
They can easily choose from different era's, even go with AC Primal, but I think it's the time to stop. Ubi should focus on new franchise, the next big thing they will sell to us 15 times during next 10 years. Can't wait.

A.Romero

I'm up for it but I'd rather have it about prehispanic cultures. Medieval Japan will lose it's novelty by the time ghost and shadows come out.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They can't half ass Feudal Japan. We can't see some fake "progressive" viewpoint of how they wished Japan was (such as they did with Greece). There also needs to be less filler with the open world. As much as I enjoyed exploring Greece in Odyssey, there was a lot of empty space that served little to no purpose and the towns were far too small. Hopefully they will stick to the size that Origins had.

However, I just don't believe Ubisoft can do Feudal Japan right, plus I would rather see China in a proper 3D world.

Ar¢tos

To be fair, there is a ton they could still do. Off the top of my head:

• Edo period Japan
  • Ming Dynasty China
  • Aztec Empire
  • Russia during Catherine the Greats rule
  • Any modern day / future city
How can they do edo Japan and ming China look substantially different from feudal Japan to the player? Same if they do Aztec, Maya and Inca become too similar.
Haven't they done Russia already in the spin-off series?

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year

I think there are basically two options for the future:

1) Going the "modern day" way and focusing on the "Assassins vs Abstergo" aspect of the story.
2) Going back to different assassins we got to meet throughout the years (highlighting other chapters from their lives), but stepping down from the "this is the biggest open world we ever created" PR statement and creating smaller, but fuller worlds.

Anyway, I'd love to see Edo period Japan. Really hoping this speculation will turn out to be true.

SonGoku

The game is gonna be based on Japanese history, featuring battles that took place in feudal Japan, the final boss going to be a giant enemy crab.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
⛩ Everyone's going to Japan! ⛩

Soon it'll be Assassins Creed...Forza Horizon was doing UK with Japan supposedly on deck. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice will be in 16th century Japan. All of these possibly releasing around same time as Ghosts of Tsushima.

Actually, they all sound good to me!

nowhat

No, please go to India next
Oh, I'm all for India - but the AC series has neglected the modern side of things for a while. Why not combine the two?

(If you haven't seen that, watch it. It may be the most awesome 9 minutes you'll ever witness.)

brap

Banned
Too late. There's gonna be better games set in feudal japan. Try harder ubisoft sweetie.

They can't half ass Feudal Japan. We can't see some fake "progressive" viewpoint of how they wished Japan was (such as they did with Greece). There also needs to be less filler with the open world. As much as I enjoyed exploring Greece in Odyssey, there was a lot of empty space that served little to no purpose and the towns were far too small. Hopefully they will stick to the size that Origins had.

However, I just don't believe Ubisoft can do Feudal Japan right, plus I would rather see China in a proper 3D world.

Yup, you can't fuck around with Feudal Japan, anything like that is gonna stick out like a sore thumb and be nothing but an immersion killer.

Either do it right or not at all.

Where is my Rome AssCreed? It's the one in the "trilogy" I wanted the most.

Ancient Rome is what I assumed would be next.

Vtecomega

Banned
Honestly, I think they should just use Odyssey as a platform and build off that. Sort of like Destiny.

Ancient Greece is just too stunning to not continue with it. Or Ubisoft should just ditch the Assassin Creed name and just make a game playing as Achilles.

Hendrick's

How can they do edo Japan and ming China look substantially different from feudal Japan to the player? Same if they do Aztec, Maya and Inca become too similar.
Haven't they done Russia already in the spin-off series?
Just like Origins to Odyssey, they will happily reuse a shit ton of assets and people will still gobble it up.

Last edited:

Nny7229

We've been wanting Japan forever and they have been teasing us just as long. This should have been AC3 or Unity.

stash211

Neo Member
Japan is a welcome change, but AC just seems to be riding the coattails of whatever the popular trendy setting is that year. This year with God of War and AC: God of War Lite. I know, I know, they showed these 3 signs off back in 2012 itself, but like other people have said, there are 3 or so games set in Japan, that are already coming out and Ubisoft is just going to seem like "Hey guess who else has 2 thumbs and can make a game set in Japan as well?"... but if it's a reskin of Origins like Odyssey so very plainly is, I might skip that as well.

Kreydo

As long as they don't rework deeply the game recipe I'm not interested... 10 years of the same stupid IA, repetitiv assisted gameplay, immersive breaking Animus moment and map filled with makers.

Feudal Japan won't change anything.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The Next Assassin's Creed is always set in Japan 🙄

Top Bottom