• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speedrunning Thread - RESETRESETRESET

Seronei

Most glitches are harder to pull off than the actual gameplay

Yeah, just compare the difficulty of WW and WWHD. Colossal difference in skill required because of fixed glitches. But then again just look at Pokemon Yellow, Link's Awakening and Link to the Past and the game is much easier with no restrictions because of glitches that let you warp to the end cutscene right from the beginning.

meijiko

Most of the time, yes. But one can see why something like the exploration glitch in A Link to the Past any%, which is used to finish the game in under 2 minutes if you're fast, is somewhat offputting; it's not difficult at all to perform and completely breaks the game to the point where you only see a single area of the game throughtout the run.

The point of that entire category is to complete the game as quickly as possible. Just because a category exists, though, does not make it representative of all speedruns. Those that say it defeats the purpose of speedruns doesn't really understand the community, or how these speedruns evolve over time. Just because it took 2 minutes to watch the speedrun doesn't mean it took 2 minutes to complete. Anyone who is familiar with Kryssstal's work with LttP knows that she puts in hours of dedication to optimize her runs, testing tricks over and over until she figures out how to do them properly, and consistently.

But your whole complaint about it would make sense if categories did not exist. LttP Any% is no longer a very popular category, and categories that outright ban some of the glitches pop up and take over.

Glitches, in general, take time to learn and perfect. A part of the speedrunning community is dedicated to finding these glitches, seeing if they're doable by human hands, and then practicing them. It's incredibly fascinating how these games have evolved over time, especially popular favorites like Ocarina of Time, where tricks are still found 15 years after the game released.

It's kind of funny; any time a speedrunning topic gets brought up on a website like Kotaku, there's always a deluge of comments complaining that glitches "aren't fair." The community laughs at these comments more than anything, because it just proves how many don't understand the work that goes into these games.

Jokab

The point of that entire category is to complete the game as quickly as possible. Just because a category exists, though, does not make it representative of all speedruns. Those that say it defeats the purpose of speedruns doesn't really understand the community, or how these speedruns evolve over time. Just because it took 2 minutes to watch the speedrun doesn't mean it took 2 minutes to complete. Anyone who is familiar with Kryssstal's work with LttP knows that she puts in hours of dedication to optimize her runs, testing tricks over and over until she figures out how to do them properly, and consistently.

But your whole complaint about it would make sense if categories did not exist. LttP Any% is no longer a very popular category, and categories that outright ban some of the glitches pop up and take over.

Glitches, in general, take time to learn and perfect. A part of the speedrunning community is dedicated to finding these glitches, seeing if they're doable by human hands, and then practicing them. It's incredibly fascinating how these games have evolved over time, especially popular favorites like Ocarina of Time, where tricks are still found 15 years after the game released.

It's kind of funny; any time a speedrunning topic gets brought up on a website like Kotaku, there's always a deluge of comments complaining that glitches "aren't fair." The community laughs at these comments more than anything, because it just proves how many don't understand the work that goes into these games.
You misunderstand me; I have nothing against glitches in runs at all. In fact I think most glitchless runs are boring and more often than not are less interesting than their glitch-filled counterparts. In addition, I think LTTP any% is a perfectly valid category, and one that shouldn't be looked down on in any way.

My point was that I can see why someone would think that the any% category in LTTP boring to watch, as it doesn't showcase the game at all. That is not my own opinion. See my post just above these ones on OoT categories, of which I think any% is one of the more interesting ones.

meijiko

You misunderstand me; I have nothing against glitches in runs at all. In fact I think most glitchless runs are boring and more often than not are less interesting than their glitch-filled counterparts. In addition, I think LTTP any% is a perfectly valid category, and one that shouldn't be looked down on in any way.

My point was that I can see why someone would think that the any% category in LTTP boring to watch, as it doesn't showcase the game at all. That is not my own opinion. See my post just above these ones on OoT categories, of which I think any% is one of the more interesting ones.

Oh sorry, I was getting you mixed up with the other person who said the initial comment about glitches.

I shouldn't make posts after just waking up haha.

traveler

Not Wario
I can't wait till ALBW starts seeing some real speedruns. It almost feels like it's designed for them, with how snappy things like Link's actions and screen transitions are. The non-intrusive story, built in multiple routes through dungeon progression, and item system also seem like they'll add some interesting tweaks to the runs. Rupies will have to be incorporated as well, given the item system. Just seems like a perfect foundation.

7 Thunders hit in a row, missed one, then proceeded to hit the remaining 2. Heartbreaking stuff. Heard that it had an 8% chance of happening, and on the final fight too.

shaowebb

God Pikachu dun said F*ck yo world record werster. 1.5% chance of the amount of smack he layed down being possible. God.

Regarding that question about glitches:
The purpose of speedruns is not to beat it as quick as you can with "only your skill", but to beat it as fast as possible.

There is a few things that aren't allowed with speedruns, e.g. modifying the game (exception translation patches) or console, third party controllers, turbo buttons, cheats or skipping with passwords, although I guess you could make certain special categories with those on or something, but I've never heard of cheat%. :p

There's even regional differences - in Japan, turbo controllers and fiddling with the game's cartridge/disc is allowed, which isn't the standard in America/EU.

I can't wait till ALBW starts seeing some real speedruns. It almost feels like it's designed for them, with how snappy things like Link's actions and screen transitions are. The non-intrusive story, built in multiple routes through dungeon progression, and item system also seem like they'll add some interesting tweaks to the runs. Rupies will have to be incorporated as well, given the item system. Just seems like a perfect foundation.

Oh, yeah, this is gonna be hype. Looking forward to it.

http://www.twitch.tv/greenalinksda

is currently routing this game. :)

Velcro Fly

Link Between Worlds is an awesome speedrun to watch.

One guy I've watched is using splits that end at 2:33. Not sure if that's WR or not but it seems improvable for sure.

meijiko

Is Werster always a bit of a jerk or did I just catch him on a bad night?

It's kind of his thing. Sometimes he goes a bit over the top telling off some of his viewers, other times he's more chill. But keep in mind he gets some of the most inane questions multiple times every day, and it gets frustrating when no one bothers to read the FAQ.

so who's ready for Red's Pikachu to end the run again
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

It's kind of his thing. Sometimes he goes a bit over the top telling off some of his viewers, other times he's more chill. But keep in mind he gets some of the most inane questions multiple times every day, and it gets frustrating when no one bothers to read the FAQ.

To be fair most speedrunners get those questions, and to be fair to first time viewers I can understand why a lot of the things speedrunners do in their runs seem counter intuitive. Although yeah, they should read the FAQ's.

To be fair most speedrunners get those questions, and to be fair to first time viewers I can understand why a lot of the things speedrunners do in their runs seem counter intuitive. Although yeah, they should read the FAQ's.

"hey Werster, why do you always reset if Totodile is female, you sexist"
:p

yeah Gamefreak, why so sexist

Velcro Fly

Werster is a real bro though. He gets sick of chat being dumb like everyone does. And his chat trolls him quite a bit too.

Jokab

Siglemic is a genius. After many of hours of just practice he starts doing runs, and after about an hour of failed attempts he puts chat in subscriber mode with 5000 viewers. In only a few minutes he's gotten 15+ new subs. What a beast.

DaBoss

I've had both of their streams on for the past 2 and a half hours wondering if Siglemic or Cosmo will finish a run first lol.

DaBoss

World 6 hype: http://www.twitch.tv/trihex

ZanderGoth found a Boss Key skip for the Desert Palace in ALBW: http://www.twitch.tv/zandergothsrl

And it involves the beloved statues and Tornado Rod as always.

EDIT: Lava skip noooooooooooooooooooooooo.

EDIT2: Boss choke. :(
Yeah, he's doing great, in spite of the fact that he had to redo a couple of levels earlier.
Also, he had a glitch where one of the red coins despawned, but he noticed it before the end of the level.

Velcro Fly

Can't believe we're only a few weeks away from AGDQ

Definitely looking forward to it!

Also Caleb has a really good run going for sub 36. Only a few minutes left!

35:53 100%. Hell yes Caleb! You can stop breaking SNES controllers now! :D

did you guys know Sunshine has a 79-shine category?
yeah I didn't know that either

(it's all shines in the 7 levels btw, yeah I didn't know that part until I looked it up)

LordAlu

JoeDamillio has been doing Super Castlevania IV WR practice and runs for the last few weeks and is getting so damn consistent. He's only a second behind WR and just tied his PB on one hell of a run that was -5s before Dracula, only to be trolled by him :(

Top Bottom