• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speedrunning Thread - RESETRESETRESET

DaBoss

Bah, I wish Nintendo made the first thing to get from the auction the Swift Sail. The randomness seems to be screwing with Cosmo's runs. :(

TUSR

Banned
:D

Can't wait.

im keeping it simple

1378725830954.png

Revven

is it just me or are most of the games with relatively large speedrun followings Nintendo games

Eh, it's not just you, that's really how it is. Non-Nintendo games have speedruns but they're much smaller and this is mostly going to be because of the fact that games like Mario 64 were games most *everyone* grew up with -- whereas something like Jak & Daxter didn't reach as wide of an audience. A game like Mario 64 has tons and tons of nostalgia for it + it's a freaking ridiculous game to speedrun (not that Jak & Daxter is a bad speedgame by any means, of course).

It's rough to be a speedrunner for a game that doesn't have many people running it. There's not much incentive to pick up a game that as one other person running it vs picking up Mario 64 or OoT which have like hundreds of people running those games -- ergo plenty of competition and such.

Eh, it's not just you, that's really how it is. Non-Nintendo games have speedruns but they're much smaller and this is mostly going to be because of the fact that games like Mario 64 were games most *everyone* grew up with -- whereas something like Jak & Daxter didn't reach as wide of an audience. A game like Mario 64 has tons and tons of nostalgia for it + it's a freaking ridiculous game to speedrun (not that Jak & Daxter is a bad speedgame by any means, of course).

It's rough to be a speedrunner for a game that doesn't have many people running it. There's not much incentive to pick up a game that as one other person running it vs picking up Mario 64 or OoT which have like hundreds of people running those games -- ergo plenty of competition and such.

hey man, Sunshine has been entertaining lately with Samura1man and Stelzig

yes I know what you're saying :p

and yes I realize this is yet another Nintendo game that's over a decade old by now

Velcro Fly

Mario and Zelda are really conducive to speed runs pretty much for the entire duration of the series. Add in stuff like Metroid, Kirby, and DKC and you have a lot of games. I think it has more to do with the age of many speedrunners growing up with Nintendo games than anything else.

Also I say speedrun whatever game you want. Who honestly cares if you are constantly fighting it out for a world record all the time. I've considered running NSMB2 just for fun to see how fast I could complete the game even without having the stuff to stream it.

DaBoss

I always assumed that Nintendo games were popular due to the relatively short cutscenes for most of their games and that many people grew up with them.

And wow at Cosmo's brain fart, that sucks. :(

Revven

Also I say speedrun whatever game you want. Who honestly cares if you are constantly fighting it out for a world record all the time. I've considered running NSMB2 just for fun to see how fast I could complete the game even without having the stuff to stream it.

Oh, of course, I feel that way too. I'm just saying that the reason Mario 64/OoT are so big is partly because of the competition in those games. And for some people that's a better reason for speedrunning a game than playing their favorite game. :p

LordAlu

Joe has finally bested the Super Castlevania IV world record, and by nearly 22 seconds too! New time is now 33:21.

Youtube video of the run is here.

LordAlu

Got damn SCIV's music is so fucking timeless.
Yup, I never get tired of it.

Twitch version of the run is here (or with commentary here), includes the original WR video in the corner and the splits (which were pretty much WR splits) at the side. The amount of time saved in the last sections of the game is ridiculous.

ApolloJoh

SpikeVegeta had a "terrible" run of KH1.5 Proud mode that ended up setting a WR because of only 2 deaths. You could tell he was ticked that THAT run was the WR record now. Anyways, AGDQ Hype!

Twitch video of it here. http://www.twitch.tv/spikevegeta/c/3481436

I had his stream up but I wasn't watching though I remember he kept saying that the run was bad. Funny how he got a WR despite all that.

That'd be amaze

You're the same Tusr I see in Goose's chat, right?

Son Of D

I've only got into watching speed runs just over a month ago when I stumbled upon Toufool's Mario Sunshine run from SDGQ. Glad that there's an OT for speedruns.

Also, what's the consensus on New Game + speedruns? I ask since the first Devil May Cry is a game I'd like to try to speedrun (as well as Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix and possibly, but doubtfully as I'm careless at platformers, Mario 3D World) but I'm not sure if using an already powered up Dante in NG+ is allowed or does it have to be a fresh start?

Jokab

I've only got into watching speed runs just over a month ago when I stumbled upon Toufool's Mario Sunshine run from SDGQ. Glad that there's an OT for speedruns.

Also, what's the consensus on New Game + speedruns? I ask since the first Devil May Cry is a game I'd like to try to speedrun (as well as Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix and possibly, but doubtfully as I'm careless at platformers, Mario 3D World) but I'm not sure if using an already powered up Dante in NG+ is allowed or does it have to be a fresh start?

NG+ runs are almost always a separate category, and not the "main one" (I can't think of any games where that is the case). Consider something like Chrono Trigger where NG+ is 5 minutes, while any% is ~6 hours, and is the main category. In this case, NG+ is a fun side-category. Could be different for the games you want to run though, I don't know them. You should check if they've been ran before (start with SDA's runs, then their forums, then check if there have been any races on SRL) and see what categories there are, if any. If you can't find any traces of anyone attempting to run it, then I guess you make the rules!

FYC

Banned
http://speeddemosarchive.com/DevilMayCry.html

http://speeddemosarchive.com/lang/faq_en.html

What about unlockable rewards and alternate modes?

If a game has an unlockable character, bonus weapon, etc. that you collect as a reward, or other such alternate modes, a run on this mode will also be treated as a separate category. We used to only allow alternate mode runs when there was already a completed new game run for that game, but now this is just a recommendation. Keep in mind that the new game category is typically the most popular, and most people would prefer that such a run be available.

NG+ should be fine for DMC, but I imagine it'd be in a seperate category like Jokab says, depending on what you do.

Son Of D

Alright, thanks for the help. I'll use the PS3 HD Remaster as well for runs, so that might get it's own category as well (only difference is the controls are more consistent with DMC2, 3 and 4).

Ferrio

Banned
I really hope A Link Between Worlds is at SGDQ. The way the game is setup means there could be tons of ways to tackle a speedrun.

Released

I really hope A Link Between Worlds is at SGDQ. The way the game is setup means there could be tons of ways to tackle a speedrun.

It could be an interesting run for sure, but 3ds capture is really expensive, so there aren't many runners.

On top of Caleb obliterating the any% WR

Sockfolder is currently breaking SotN into tiny pieces. Romscout says probably anything over 10 minutes is "trash" now.

Top Bottom