• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2014 Thread: Speedrunning For Charity - January 5th-11th

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
Thanks to everyone here who donated, watched, attended, and supported the event. We doubled the original goal of $500,000 before the end of the last run. The next event hosted by SDA and SRL will be this summer, SGDQ, keep your eye open for the next bigger and better OT.

IF YOU MISSED A RUN THEY ARE ALL DOCUMENTED HERE
http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/1ui4dn/agdq_vods_thread/

BONUS STREAM: Loose schedule

faURgtV.jpg

DIRECT LINK TO LIVE STREAM
DIRECT LINK TO SCHEDULE
(Schedule is based on your timezone)

(Promo Video)

What is AGDQ2014?
The fourth annual speed running marathon: Awesome Games Done Quick 2014. Is a 7-day online event (from January 5th-11th) to raise money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. Featuring over 140 games, speed runners will play continuously in order to collect donations for Prevent Cancer Foundation, the partner for this event. During the marathon, donations enter you into various prizes, and can be used to determine the outcome of bidding wars! The various prizes and bidding wars can be found in the AGDQ2014 schedule.

dCV9dvt.png

Charity Info
Prevent Cancer Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that saves lives through cancer research, education and community outreach. 100% of your donations go toward supporting Prevent Cancer Foundation in its mission.

How can I donate?!
You can donate directly through GamesDoneQuick's website. Or you can purchase...

Merchandise
This year you can buy an AGDQ2014 T-shirt from TheYetee, where $3 from every shirt goes directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation: http://theyetee.com/sda
NOW IN STOCK
bAwPchF.png

Donation/Incentive/Prize Tracker

Previous Donation Totals
SGDQ2013 raised over $255,000 for Doctors Without Borders
AGDQ2013 raised over $448,423.27 for the Prevent Cancer Foundation

Important Links

Shameless Plug

Previous GDQ Highlight Reels

Other Awesome Banners

Speedrunning Lexicon
Teh Urn = The Run = http://dampe.net/pls/
D8DiFRQ.png
= Grey Face (no space)

░▄░░▄▄▄▀▀▀█▀▄▄▄░░▄
░░░▄▄████▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▀████▄▄
▄███████▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒▒███████▄
████████▒░██░▒░░░▒▒▒▄▄▒████████
▀██████░▒▒▒▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▀▀▒▀░██████ = Woofer Z (no space)
░▀█████░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█████▀
░░░▀▀▀░░░▒▒░░░▄▄▄▄░░▒░░░░▀▀▀
░░░░░░░░░░▒▒░░████▀░▒
░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒░░░░▒▒
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒

Additional Information

KaOHV.jpg

sdMAg5t.gif

BY2K

Membero Americo
Last speedrun is Cosmo doing Wind Waker HD?

I'mokaywiththis.jpg

EDIT: Wait no, Chrono Trigger is.

That's even better!

Burnburn

Been looking forward to this since SGDQ. I hope a lot of people stay around for the bonus stream, always the best part.

How are they handling donations? I always found the reading of the donations distracting, though some reader's voices are godly. It always looks like a distraction to the runner too.

TUSR

Banned
Been looking forward to this since SGDQ. I hope a lot of people stay around for the bonus stream, always the best part.

How are they handling donations? I always found the reading of the donations distracting, though some reader's voices are godly. It always looks like a distraction to the runner too.

Aiming for 15-20 donations read per hour. Which is a cutback from previous GDQ events, which allows for more runner commentary.

dmr87

Thanks for the OT, wish I could've taken the week off and just watch it all. Will try to catch most of it and watch vods later.

traveler

Not Wario
This time again so soon?!?! Yes! I didn't pay much attention to the scene at all until this past SGDQ, but, man, do they do some cool stuff. Incredible skill on display at these things. Guess I need to finish Pikmin 3 before it gets spoiled.

TUSR

Banned
A Typing of the Dead speed run sounds interesting for some reason.

Which is being run by PEACHES_ I believe, hes hilarious.

There is a lot more information to be added to the OP, ill be slowing putting more into it as the week progresses. From prizes to hosts.

Nyoro SF

I'll be there as a couch commentator for the Viewtiful Joe run! I hope everyone enjoys it!

Here's the link to my friend tman's channel who runs the game. He's out on family vacation til AGDQ starts, but once he gets back you should see more stream shenanigans with me and him.

http://www.twitch.tv/tminator64

The runs this year are really varied and pretty awesome to be honest. Know a lot of the runners running who aren't the big names so it should be real fun.

Expect Awful Games block to be one of the fucking funniest things to ever happen yet, and fully expect PJ to say "That's never happened before"at least twice as his mere presence breaks games in ways that are not actually possible to do.

And though Gilder won't be running Clash at Demonhead, I will most assuredly donate and make terrible comments any time he is in the room. HULA GIRLS!

jabuseika

Yeah, I feel like there should be a PSA to just ignore the chat. No good can come of it.

I heard it'll be mostly sub only during high viewer numbers, or with slow-mode most other times since slow-mode doesn't affect subscribers anymore.

TUSR

Banned
Yeah, I feel like there should be a PSA to just ignore the chat. No good can come of it.

There is no doubt chat will be over 50k this AGDQ. Even in subs only mode its going to be a clusterfuck.

I personally love getting involved with the chat and the run, its pretty fun.

Frolow

Banned
This is not the run. If these words could possibly describe the amount of negativity in my body right at this very moment, your screen would shatter in shock. This whole run is a joke. There's been tons of fuck ups everywhere, the sole reason he's ahead right now is due to his abomination of a previous run. He's also a complete and utter choker in intense situations and fucks up and every possible chance he gets. He. doesn't like you guys, he doesn't enjoy streaming, the only reason he still streams is to get donations in order to pay for a roof over his sorry ass. He has no social life, all he does is stream all day and buy shitty materiel products with the money he earns from twitch. I can't believe he hasn't quit already. This is a complete and utter disgrace to speedrunning.

Seriously though, very excited for this. So many good runs this marathon. The SMB2 Race, DKC 100% run, and the All Missions Vice City run just to name a few.

Uh oh.

Oh no.

No no no no no.

This is not good.

I need to study and this is way too time-consuming, but for whatever reason I love watching most of these runs.

SGDQ was a fun watch, so this will be too. Make sure to stay up for the late-night magic that occasionally happens!
Oh, and donate to comment on people's shirts.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You guys act like speedrun chat is anywhere near as bad as fighting games or dota. It's just people having fun instead of RAHHH YOU SUCK.

And the dumbness usually slows down after about 30 minutes. And it's only prevalent on the real popular runners.

Jokab

What happened to the automated donation roller? Did they not have time to make one or did they decide it was a bad idea?

TUSR

Banned
What happened to the automated donation roller? Did they not have time to make one or did they decide it was a bad idea?
At SGDQ they had a donation counter on the gamedonequick website. I'm sure something of similar fashion will appear there when the marathon begins.

SJRB

Gold Member
Cosmo doing Wind Waker HD should be cool. Also cool to see Feasal on the line-up, wish he did TMNT or Zelda 2 though, guy is mindblowing at both games.

As much as Cosmo and Siglemic are amazing at their games and super entertaining to watch, them and other very popular community members have some of the most miserable and atrocious fans in their chats that make any attempt at being part of their specific community synonymous with wading waist deep into a ball pit filled with 10 year olds who got transformed into venomous badgers. Also having a huge community/chat means less interaction/relationship with streamers, which is obviously not their fault, just how it is.

I'd really suggest catching some of the lesser known guys running, as even games you don't know or ones that you don't think are interesting can still be goddam entertaining as you see it broken in front of you. ESPECIALLY the PC game speedrunners as they do not get nearly enough views/donations/respect as the console runners.

demidar

Looking over the list, Blueglass isn't doing Ecco this year, Trihex is running Yoshi's Island and PEACHES_ is doing a Typing of the Dead: Overkill speedrun (how's that gonna work?)... and Surgeon Simulator?

So exciting!

Yawnier

Banned
Looking over the list, Blueglass isn't doing Ecco this year, Trihex is running Yoshi's Island and PEACHES_ is doing a Typing of the Dead: Overkill speedrun (how's that gonna work?)... and Surgeon Simulator?

So exciting!

I saw Peaches do a speedrun of Typing of the Dead on the Dreamcast on his stream a while back, great and entertaining run he used the default keyboard for the Dreamcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom