• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speedrunning Thread - RESETRESETRESET

Luigi87

Because of the AGDQ race, I picked up Azure Striker Gunvolt. It's a lot of fun, and I wanted to try speedrunning it.

I just ran through Speedrun mode. According to in-game stats, only 24 people have completed it.
... I'm ranked 24th. (These stats aren't 100% accurate though, as some of the top runners are missing)

...*cough*

Edit: Ran again today, cut my time nearly in half (from 02:48:54, to 01:29:07), and went from 24 to 16th, lol

LordAlu

Indeed, I would expect that he is likely to be unwelcome at any speedrunning events held in the future now.

Anyway, lets have some happier news.

ESA (European Speedster Assembly) 2016 is this summer but they're holding a small pre-ESA online marathon at the end of the month in order to raise money to pay for the venue and storage (as it isn't covered by sponsors like GDQ).

The first draft of the schedule has been released below (all times in your local timezone):

https://horaro.org/preesa/firstdraft

It should be a good time - there's lots of interesting games on there too (plus I'm running).

Mark it in your calendars folks :)

On a smaller topic then marathons and meet ups, anyone here planning to do the 12 hour speedrun challenge? it's where you take a game you had interest in or something different to what you usually play and learn/speedrun it over a 12 hour period.

On a smaller topic then marathons and meet ups, anyone here planning to do the 12 hour speedrun challenge? it's where you take a game you had interest in or something different to what you usually play and learn/speedrun it over a 12 hour period.

this sounds cool, but I think I'd have to get a crew together to stomach 12 hours. That's a hell of a long time.

this sounds cool, but I think I'd have to get a crew together to stomach 12 hours. That's a hell of a long time.

well the goal is to get a speedrun in that time, you can always run a small game and just do so for a few hours until you feel like it's enough, it was also done last year and quite a few people stuck with their chose games.

signup google thing here: http://bombch.us/B1UN this is so a list of people can be made it's not required.

5th to 7th of jan is also the recommended time but some people are doing runs this weekend or so I hear.

This is the weekend of the #12hourchallenge, for those who do not know this is an event where you learn a game you usually do not play and get at least one speedrun time in 12 hours, a lot of people use this to finally get around to trying that game they like the looks of or to derust from an old game they loved as a kid.

SRL
is a good place to find the streams since 90% of speedruns appear there, you can click on the dedicated 12 hour challenge button to filter the streams.

Ham Ham Heartbreak TAS when
Watching this TAS is actually just reconfirming my distaste for kirby as a speedgame franchise. It just looks slow even when it's fast as hell.

I've been watching a bit of speedrunning of games like Mega Man and Shovel Knight mostly.

I tuned into the past SGDQ and this year's AGDQ. It's a neat community, but I really don't like the obsession with perfectionism. I would rather see a speedrunner finish a game than watch them reset a lot of times.

I've been watching a bit of speedrunning of games like Mega Man and Shovel Knight mostly.

I tuned into the past SGDQ and this year's AGDQ. It's a neat community, but I really don't like the obsession with perfectionism. I would rather see a speedrunner finish a game than watch them reset a lot of times.

this isn't a universal facet of the community, but it's true for almost everyone who holds a record in a competitive category. Much like anything competitive, if you want to be the best, you have to be a perfectionist to some degree.

this isn't a universal facet of the community, but it's true for almost everyone who holds a record in a competitive category. Much like anything competitive, if you want to be the best, you have to be a perfectionist to some degree.

Yeah, I guess I get it, but I'm not really a competitive person, so it doesn't come naturally to me. Speedrunning is cool because people are really good at their games, and it shows.

This comes down to who you are watching really, some people end up trying to at least get one run from start to end done as they stream while others will grind out the first 20% until they get god tier luck and rock on from there.

If you don't mind branching out, I think a lot of runners who run newer games tend to be less anal like that. Generally older games are pretty optimized relatively speaking, so if you want both a high-on-the-leaderboards runner, and full runs, I'd go for an unoptimized, long, or new title.

Metroid fusion 0% up to now has been mostly TAS only with a ton of frame perfect inputs and shinespark storage to skip a rather annoying missile tank in a tunnel you have to pass to progress, but someone found a nice block clip so you can skip the tank by zipping into the wall next to it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61goagsSrUo

It's only working in the english release as the japanese version came out after and most likely had a bug fix that affects the zip. This now makes 0% fusion a marathon safe catagory.

LordAlu

Metroid fusion 0% up to now has been mostly TAS only with a ton of frame perfect inputs and shinespark storage to skip a rather annoying missile tank in a tunnel you have to pass to progress, but someone found a nice block clip so you can skip the tank by zipping into the wall next to it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61goagsSrUo

It's only working in the english release as the japanese version came out after and most likely had a bug fix that affects the zip. This now makes 0% fusion a marathon safe catagory.
Yup, it was found by ZX last night / this morning. JRP has already completed a run (Part1 | Part 2) and finished in 2:00:54 RTA (or 55mins IGT).

CdmLlW5UYAE3cpH.jpg:large

It's not a real JRP photo without him giving the middle finger to the game heh

yeah I watched the stream earlier, his tweets are how I found out about the trick, it's great that 0% is a possible thing now in real time without bullshit TAS tricks.

LordAlu

https://gamesdonequick.com/submission/all

SGDQ list is done. Some highlights include FF VI w/sketch glitching, another Mario Maker blind race, a Tropical Freeze relay race, a 4-way Pokemon race, Gargoyle's Quest 2, Super Meat Boy dark ending, Link Between Worlds, Castlevania 64, and plenty more.

For some reason MK Double Dash is in. :/ And NES Golf with Big Jon still isn't. :(
Hopefully he passes the second round of cuts for ESA. BigJon needs some NES Golf in somewhere!

thoughts go out to his family, RIP :(

why is there another Mario maker race, I found it really cringy at agdq even though I move the game.

Everhate was a great member of the community, and I considered him a good friend. He will be missed.

On a happier note, I know there's a few speedrunners here on GAF, so I thought I'd put this out here. I'm putting together a Sega console online marathon (not for charity, just for fun). If you run any game that was released on a Sega console, feel free to submit it here.

Top Bottom