• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-man 2 leaked gameplay

Hugare

I'm not gonna begrudge Sony for making safer sequels. It makes sense to make an original IP and use a sequel to refine the mechanics. Its unreasonable to expect studios to reinvent the wheel with every release. The development times are much longer to do that as well.

Hopefully the rest of Sony follows Sony Santa Monica's model. People complained GOWR was too much of a rehash, but that game did a phenomenal job refining the mechanics of the first game. SSM developed that game in 4 years even with covid limiting development. They wrapped up the the Nordic God of War arch in the sequel and are now working on a brand new IP

SM2 looks really great for an open world game running at 60FPS. Cyberpunk on PS5 has moments of looking incredible, but it is very inconsistent. Yeah, Idris Elba character model looks amazing in Cyberpunk, but pretty much every random NPC looks very last gen
I dont judge them for making safe sequels, but they have to intercalate with some fresh stuff.

GOW, Horizon, Spider-man with no big new IP in between

We have a console refresh coming soon and there's some smoke about Pro consoles, and the only great new IP we had so far was Returnal.

Dont agree with Ragnarok, I think it had terrible pacing and rehashed too much from the first one, but thank God that they are now on a new IP

And Cyberpunk may be inconsistent, but still looks better to me than what I've seen from Spider-man 2. It may not have RT reflections or fancy SSD usage, but character models and lighting are amazing. Phantom Liberty looks insane.

And I couldnt disagree more about your comment on NPC character models. Most of them are crazy detailed. Comparing them to any NPC from a Spider-man game would be unfair.

Last edited:
I dont judge them for making safe sequels, but they have to intercalate with some fresh stuff.

GOW, Horizon, Spider-man with no big new IP in between

We have a console refresh coming soon and there's some smoke about Pro consoles, and the only great new IP we had so far was Returnal.

Dont agree with Ragnarok, I think it had terrible pacing and rehashed too much from the first one, but thank God that they are now on a new IP

And Cyberpunk may be inconsistent, but still looks better to me than what I've seen from Spider-man 2. It may not have RT reflections or fancy SSD usage, but character models and lighting are amazing. Phantom Liberty looks insane.

And I couldnt disagree more about your comment on NPC character models. Most of them are crazy detailed. Comparing them to any NPC from a Spider-man game would be unfair.
I think Sony was hoping Factions would be the breath of fresh air for PS5, but that obv has run into trouble. I agree, it would be nice if Sony had a big new IP early this generation, but they delivered Horizon, God of War, Spider-Man, and GOT last generation. All of those games were reboots or new IP's and all of them were smash hits that deserved sequels. It would be pretty unprecedented if Sony didn't capitalize on those games. I will criticize Sony if they continually pump out sequel after sequel with little innovation. One sequel that perfects the model of the original game is reasonable to me

splattered

Sitting here waiting on my preorder copy to arrive... Almost wish i had gone digital instead for the extra skins and stuff that the launch physical edition doesn't have.

Bought the 1st one on PC, enjoyed it and finished the campaign but got tired of it by the time I played the DLCs. Stopped without finishing them. The story was meh and the gameplay got repetitive toward the end.

Maybe I’ll pick it up three years from now and mess around when it’s bargain bin price on Steam.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If Insomniac can do this with a PS5 imagine what those wizard could do with the power of a Pro

Flirty Reaction GIF

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The game looks absolutely stunning. Model quality, animation quality, voice acting, set-piece design, sound design, combat, traversal. Everything is a major step up from the first game. It's Sony's tent-pole release for the calendar year and sequel to their most successful game ever; it's Insomniac who are firing on all cylinders with it being their 3rd/4th PS5 game, their 2nd PS5-exclusive game. It's Spider-Man. Reviews copies were sent out early, which means the game is actually complete and fully tested. Sony have solid internal processes from years of releasing banger after banger and simply know what it takes to produce a good-great game and how to achieve a high score and the willingness to delay a game until it has reached its potential. The potential of this game [to me] is in the 92-94% range when taking in all the factors and anything less than that would be considered a failure [to me]. I'm not saying it's absolutely impossible for SM2 to score less than 92, but I'm saying with the amount riding on it, I'd be surprised. It's not Microsoft we're talking about here, who don't seem to give a shit whatsoever.

🤣🤣🤣

Was this you back during the Halo 3 reviews?

ufNnfTa.jpg

The smoke effects in the city as he was swinging towards the destination look really nice. Good presence of place and weight to the particle effects, it "looks" like it feels dense once he enters the plume of dust getting into the thick of combat.

Ugh that smug pepe picture of Mary Jane when she calls you on the phone is disgusting
I’ve seen about an hour and a half of leaked gameplay and I can confirm to you MJ consistently looks like an ugly pillsbury doughboy 3D render with a flat chest and purposely flat ass

In fact there’s a scene in the ending that’s comically goofy as all 3 are standing together and Peter in miles in the suit have muscled plump asses and a 6 pack of abs showing through the suit fabric and MJ is dressed like she’s in a freezer with a pancake ass and a boys chest basically. Basically they’re naked with suits spray painted on their character models and she’s looking gender ambiguous under like 3 layers of clothes

gothmog

Gold Member
Not a Marvel or superhero fan, but enjoyed the original Spider-Man. Didn’t play Miles Morales as I was burnt out on open-world games. Also disappointed it was cross-gen.

But this being PS5 only I’m quite intrigued. However, I may still hold out for the inevitable PS5 Pro version.
So you didn't like that Miles was cross gen but you're holding out for the cross gen version of SM2? Okay.

Taycan77

So you didn't like that Miles was cross gen but you're holding out for the cross gen version of SM2? Okay.
PS5 Pro will be the definitive way to play Spider-Man 2.

It's a full-fat PS5 experience but we will still need to sacrifice quality or performance. Despite Insomniacs best efforts to find a compromise.

Top Bottom