• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiders could theoretically eat every human on Earth in one year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koomaster

Spiders are cool so long as they don't invade my personal space. I don't mind if they watch me from somewhere else in the room. I did have to help usher one outside just yesterday after it was chilling near my bed.

There's a good chance at least one spider is staring at you right now

h4C2Umz.gif

Zyrox

Wow, they eat a lot. Makes you think just how fucking fast bugs reproduce. If there weren't any spiders we'd be drowning in mosquitoes and other such fuckers. Keep it up spiders.

Also, that gif is straight up mean. I'm not particularily arachnophobic but it even startled me for a sec.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
if all the dirt in the earth was somehow picked up and dropped on everyone everyone would die. crazy scary and makes you think

A-V-B

That's actually pretty awesome.

Can you imagine being invaded by aliens, and spiders step up to the fight?

"Hang tight, humans, we got this."

Plum

That's actually pretty awesome.

Can you imagine being invaded by aliens, and spiders step up to the fight?

"Hang tight, humans, we got this."

Why would spiders help us? What have we done for them? They'd probably defect to the Alien's side in exchange for not being stepped on, the bastards.

A-V-B

Why would spiders help us? What have we done for them? They'd probably defect to the Alien's side in exchange for not being stepped on, the bastards.

Spiders have always been our secret bros. Or didn't you know mosquitoes would already rule the Earth without them?

Ok I like to think of myself on the "good" side of chaotic so I'm not gonna quote that gif, but holy CRAP at the reactions!! I'm dying LOL

Seiryoden

I debated making this my first thread a few weeks ago; I even saved the link to the research paper: An estimated 400–800 million tons of prey are annually killed by the global spider community

Our estimates assessed with two different methods suggest that the annual prey kill of the global spider community is in the range of 400–800 million metric tons (fresh weight), with insects and collembolans composing >90% of the captured prey

NOT 100% Insects and Collembolans though. <10% HUMAN FLESH

Bonus:

Bristowe (1958) went one step further claiming that the weight of insects consumed by the entire British spider fauna would exceed the combined weight of all the humans in Great Britain.

xenist

So you'd rather have a few hundred million tonnes of dirty flies and mosquitoes sprrading disease instead of spiders then? You little wusses?

You don't deserve bros as good as spiders.

kswiston

So apparently natural spaces (meadows, forests, etc) average over 100 spiders per square meter/yard. An acre of naturalized property would have about a half million of them. Numbers are obviously higher in the tropics.

So you'd rather have a few hundred million tonnes of dirty flies and mosquitoes sprrading disease instead of spiders then? You little wusses?

You don't deserve bros as good as spiders.

Yeah my thought as well. I mean it is insects they eat, so imagine them not eating them, we would be so fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom