• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spike VGAs Thread: [Update: FINALLY a funny joke descends upon the show post #4807]

FoeHammer

Show was actually watchable this year thanks mostly to NPH who was pretty funny throughout. Mass Effect 3, Elder Scrolls 5, and Uncharted 3 reveals made the show and I'm actually glad I watched it for once.

Hey You

Meh, overall a waste of 2 hours for me. Nothing really interested me, maybe Insane by THQ.

RDR really does deserve GoTY.

What about all the other categories?

What won best DLC and best 360 game?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Award list from PSU :

GAME OF THE YEAR
Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar Games / Rockstar San Diego)

STUDIO OF THE YEAR
BioWare

BEST XBOX 360 GAME
Mass Effect 2 (Electronic Arts / BioWare)

BEST PS3 GAME
God of War III (Sony Computer Entertainment / SCE Studios Santa Monica)

BEST Wii GAME
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo / Nintendo)

BEST PC GAME
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (Blizzard Entertainment / Blizzard Entertainment)

BEST HANDHELD GAME
God of War: Ghost of Sparta (Sony Computer Entertainment / Ready At Dawn Studios)

BEST SHOOTER
Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision / Treyarch)

BEST ACTION ADVENTURE GAME
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal)

BEST RPG
Mass Effect 2 (Electronic Arts / BioWare)

BEST MULTI-PLAYER
Halo: Reach (Microsoft / Bungie Studios)

BEST INDIVIDUAL SPORTS GAME
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 (Electronic Arts / EA Tiburon)

BEST TEAM SPORTS GAME
NBA 2K11 (2K Sports / Visual Concepts)

BEST DRIVING GAME
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts / Criterion Games)

BEST MUSIC GAME

Rock Band 3 (MTV Games / Harmonix)

BEST SOUNDTRACK
DJ Hero 2 (Activision / FreeStyleGames)

BEST SONG IN A GAME
Far Away by José González (Red Dead Redemption)

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Red Dead Redemption (Rockstar Games / Rockstar San Diego)

BEST GRAPHICS
God of War III (Sony Computer Entertainment / SCE Studios Santa Monica)

BEST ADAPTED VIDEO GAME
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal / Ubisoft Chengdu)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A HUMAN MALE
Neil Patrick Harris as Peter Parker / Amazing Spider-Man (Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions / Activision)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A HUMAN FEMALE
Tricia Helfer as Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty / Blizzard Entertainment)

BEST DOWNLOADABLE GAME
Costume Quest (THQ / Double Fine Productions)

BEST DLC
Red Dead Redemption - Undead Nightmare (Rockstar Games / Rockstar San Diego)

BEST INDEPENDENT GAME
Limbo (PlayDead)

MOST ANTICIPATED GAME
Portal 2 (Valve / Valve)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I could agree with this:

BEST ACTION ADVENTURE GAME
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft / Ubisoft Montreal)

Sadly Bayonetta wasn't nominated for Best AA game. :/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So was there some vagina incident or something?

Vyer

So I just watched the rerun of this (or rather quickly flew through it thank god for DVR) abomination.

- Stage was great

- HEY GUYS DID YOU HEAR KRATOS IS A BADASS AND HE LIKES TO FUCK CHICKS

- Holy fucking CGI fest, the video game trailer was almost killed tonight

- NBA Elite joke was the only funny thing all night

- Elder Scrolls, U3 and ME3, fuck yeah

And man everything was just terrible. The absolute rock bottom was hit when I watched the TMZ thing. just...just.... smh.

Chrange

Banned
Watched it all and only the NBA Elite memorial and TMZ skits were funny. WAKKA WAKKA BEEP....what's BEEP? Derogatory term for ghosts...

The rest was just painful. I fast forwarded through over half the show....garbage.

Yoshiya

Amir0x said:
And Super Meat Boy

just ignore these awards. They're obviously run by a band of wild apes
By the looks of the categories, Super Meat Boy lost out to Limbo (which is just as ridiculous). Still, fucking Costume Quest. A few hour long pseudo-RPG being chosen over a game which is more comparable with full releases than its fellow nominees is completely inexplicable.

ULTROS!

Rikyfree said:
And rightfully so. /ducks and covers

*throws a rotten egg*

Yoshiya

FateBreaker said:
Doesn't the public vote? Why is Spike being shat on for Costume Quest...and any of these?
They do have some sort of voting thing on the website, but I thought the VGAs were the ones where they collected votes from certain 'journalists'. Is that for the nominees? I guess the taste of the Spike audience would explain the Best Character award (the most WTF-worthy on the list) but I'd have thought CODBLOPS would have won GOTY as well in that case.

Mooreberg

That winners list is oddly logical. Still not sure what the criteria for most anticipated game is though. Did they conduct a survey to find out more people want Portal 2 than Gears 3 or anything else? :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
bearcatjosh said:
Missed the show, checked the OP for info on Gears Kinect and it said "canceled"...did Epic mention what's going on, or did IGN have bad info?

Only thing we know is it was Microsoft who pulled it, not Epic.

Mooreberg said:
That winners list is oddly logical.

Except for RDR winning GoTY but not the best PS3 or 360 game. I always hate that shit. But as someone said earlier, it seemed like they wanted to make sure that every GoTY nominee won at least one award.

Mooreberg

SolidSnakex said:
Except for RDR winning GoTY but not the best PS3 or 360 game. I always hate that shit. But as someone said earlier, it seemed like they wanted to make sure that every GoTY nominee won at least one award.

I can understand that since they gave the platform awards to exclusive games (or games that were exclusive for the calendar year). Plus you gotta take into consideration that sometimes a particular version is botched. I know it doesn't apply here, but would anyone call Bayonetta as it exists on PS3 the best game of the year for that system? I would not.

so, I just woke up, are my eyes deceiving me or didn't we get any PS3 exclusive über-announcement (again)!? No Starhawk, no Colony Wars?

X-Frame

Sidewinder said:
so, I just woke up, are my eyes deceiving me or didn't we get any PS3 exclusive über-announcement (again)!? No Starhawk, no Colony Wars?

Only thing I cared about tonight - and disappointed again.

Bebpo

Banned
SMG2 is the only non-western developed game on that entire list.

heh, Japanese games are irrelevant to the western mainstream market by this point.

Kittonwy

Banned
Mockingbird said:
how does studio of the year work? wouldn't it automatically be the one who puts out the goty? or maybe the most quality games?

Bioware has the pedigree so obviously it doesn't matter that R* San Diego puts out the better game.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Single most awkward televised thing I have witnessed, and I wish that was hyperbole. :( I started watching and it was like a car accident, the morbid part of me just couldn't change the channel...

Shit like this is what your average middle-aged politician probably thinks gamers are really like.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kittonwy said:
Bioware has the pedigree so obviously it doesn't matter that R* San Diego puts out the better game.
maybe they toured every studio and judged based on working conditions

LOL

Kuran

Banned
Weird that they basically ignored the Japanese industry, I guess that's a fair sign of moneyhats.

Hot Pursuit over Gran Turismo?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
CrushDance said:
I think it's a pizza pocket...:lol

Oh sweet jesus. They get a side of aged Gamer Fuel too? Maybe some Four Lokos, brah?!

Bebpo

Banned
Kuran said:
Weird that they basically ignored the Japanese industry, I guess that's a fair sign of moneyhats.

Not moneyhats, just this is what mainstream America gamer tastes are. Just like how mainstream Japanes gamer polls ignore almost all western games.

seady

Kuran said:

Hot Pursuit over Gran Turismo?

Other than the Wii Game of the Year nominees which filled with Japanese/Nintendo games (because there are pretty much zero noticeable American games on that platform), basically nearly 100% all the other nominees are Western developers.

It's understandable because this is afterall a "show" and not a award ceremony. VGA can easily get those Western developers to contribute to their show through trailers, world premier, interviews, added 'spectacles'. Just look at some of those stupid in-game animations/videos of the winner they put out after each award is given that are made specifically the show. I wonder if those are made by the developers themselves to 'prepare' for the award.

Kuran

Banned
Bebpo said:
Not moneyhats, just this is what mainstream America gamer tastes are. Just like how mainstream Japanes gamer polls ignore almost all western games.

Sadly that is probably the case.

Not saying God of War games are bad, I enjoyed Ghost of Sparta for what it was.. but choosing Ghost over Peace Walker is ludicrous.

Top Bottom