• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spirit Air Becomes First to Charge for Carry-On Bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

pje122

AP said:
Spirit Airlines to charge up to $45 for carry-ons
By JOSHUA FREED (AP) – 3 hours ago

MINNEAPOLIS — Spirit Airlines will charge as much as $45 each way for a carry-on bag, adding a fee that bigger airlines have yet to try.

The charge will apply to bags in the overhead bin. Personal items that fit under the seat will still be free. Spirit said it will add measuring devices at the gates to determine which carry-ons are free and which ones will incur the charge.

The new charge is $45 if paid at the gate, and $30 if paid in advance, and begins Aug. 1. Spirit said on Tuesday that it reduced its lowest fares by $40 on average, so most customers won't really pay more to fly.

Spirit also charges to check luggage.

Spirit CEO Ben Baldanza said having fewer carry-on bags will help empty the plane faster. He said the idea is to get customers to pay for individual things they want, while keeping the base fare low.

"The beauty of it is they will do what they think is best for them and will now have the choice," he said.

Spirit is based in Miramar, Fla., and most of its routes run through Fort Lauderdale to Latin America.

Even though it's a minor player, bigger airlines are likely to watch to see whether customers are willing to pay for carry-ons. None of the major carriers made any immediate changes to their fees on Tuesday morning.

Fees for checking bags on the big U.S. carriers got started in 2008. At first, many travelers thought they wouldn't last. But now all the big airlines except Southwest and JetBlue charge to check a bag on domestic flights.

smh...

Draft

What happened to the airline industry? Was the race to the bottom so desperate that none of them realized they were now priced out of sustainability?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Draft said:
What happened to the airline industry? Was the race to the bottom so desperate that none of them realized they were now priced out of sustainability?

It's precisely with charges like this that they make their money on. The core ticket price is just the start...and that's the only place there's a race to the bottom.

Ryanair is the poster child for this model, and AFAIK they continue to post handsome profits.

mwgiii

Uhhh......Isn't Spirit supposed to be one of the low-fare carriers?

From their website: Spirit Airlines - cheap tickets, cheap flights, discount airfare
Spirit Airlines is the leading Ultra Low Cost Carrier in the United States, the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Latin America.

Doytch

"Spirit CEO Ben Baldanza said having fewer carry-on bags will help empty the plane faster. He said the idea is to get customers to pay for individual things they want, while keeping the base fare low."

Yeah ok there bud.

And yes I saw they reduced "some" prices. No doubt they'll go up in the next few months because of oil prices or some excuse.

IT_(South_Park%3B_The_Entity).jpeg

We need it now more than ever.

gerg

mwgiii said:

This is generally how low-fare carriers work. The basic service is cheap but rubbish, while the standard "extras" are generally very expensive.

On the one hand, the service is almost always horrible. On the other hand, my brother flew to Spain for a penny, so you can't complain.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't think I'd ever fly on "Spirit Air." Sounds like a joke airline.

The I don't want to pay 15 bucks so I'm going to bring four bags as carry on and bitch about it when they don't let me on or sneak it on and take up four bins crew can eat it though.

Draft

gofreak said:
It's precisely with charges like this that they make their money on. The core ticket price is just the start...and that's the only place there's a race to the bottom.

Ryanair is the poster child for this model, and AFAIK they continue to post handsome profits.
Hmm, I see.

Spirit Air is a good airline.

But this is a very bad idea. Measuring people's carry-on luggage and determining if they're going to have to pay more is not good. It presumes people can afford it or expect it. It's a big surprise to ask someone for another $40 at the airport out of the blue.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am flying tonight with Spirit :lol :lol Offered me low fares, but I seriously won't consider them from August onwards. Jetblue >>>> Spirit anyway

pje122

mwgiii said:

From their website: Spirit Airlines - cheap tickets, cheap flights, discount airfare
Spirit Airlines is the leading Ultra Low Cost Carrier in the United States, the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Latin America.
Right, but obviously the concern is the precedent this might set for the major airlines...

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
gofreak said:

Was going to note something similar. Allot like consoles. They don't make much money or hardly any on the actual ticket. But most of the subcharges have large margins of profit, or even pure profit such as this one.

nomster

AstroLad said:
The I don't want to pay 15 bucks so I'm going to bring four bags as carry on and bitch about it when they don't let me on or sneak it on and take up four bins crew can eat it though.
Yup, especially the assholes that think they should stuff their shit in the first bin they find even though it's 15 rows in front of their seat.

Pimpwerx

And they have easily the worst service of any airline. Always last in the queue for takeoff, so long delays, and their baggage is always slowest to get to the claim area. I hope they go bankrupt. Their service is so bad, I don't even care about the low fares. I'd rather pay extra and fly a better airline. PEACE.

quaere

Calling a domestic US airline low-fare at this point is completely meaningless. They have all enthusiastically applied the model. About the only difference any more is whether a premium class is still offered.

Tarazet

I think that's a fine idea actually. If 100 people each leave behind their 20-pound bags, then that plane weighs a ton less and will use that much less fuel. If they want to bring them on, then they can pay a fare similar to what they always have.

gerg

pje122 said:
Right, but obviously the concern is the precedent this might set for the major airlines...

I wouldn't be concerned. The market will always balance out and allow for both more expensive and better quality services alongside cheap but rubbish ones.

gcubed

Tarazet said:
I think that's a fine idea actually. If 100 people each leave behind their 20-pound bags, then that plane weighs a ton less and will use that much less fuel. If they want to bring them on, then they can pay a fare similar to what they always have.

if they dont drop the prices, then raise them back in a few months

Tarazet said:

Yeah, I can see how a twenty pound bag can create a $30-$45 pound variance in fuel costs.

Why not just add it to the ticket price? Do they think they are tricking people into thinking they might not have to pay it?

Ceres

Banned
gofreak said:

The difference is that Ryanair costs something like $20 while Spirit Air isn't really any cheaper than companies like Airtran and Southwest or even a lot of the major airlines. And Southwest doesn't charge me for bags whether I check them or carry them on.

gofreak said:

Yeah I just bought a ticket on Ryanair from London to Berlin. Their advertised prices are bullshit when they charge you a 5 pound fee to book your ticket (if all tickets cost those extra 5 pounds it isn't a fee it is part of the fare), then they charge you a 5 pound fee to pay for the ticket. At least they don't charge for carryons. 15 pounds for a checked bag isn't that bad either.

Mudkips

Banned
I approve of this.

I'm sick of people trying to jam everything into a carry-on bag.
I'm sick of people getting allotted:

1 carry-on
1 briefcase/purse
1 "personal item"

You end up with a lady with a huge carry-on, a giant purse, and a giant backpack, taking up all the space. It NEVER fits in the baggage compartment or under the seats like it's supposed to.

Oh, and her husband has the SAME ITEMS, even though the shamed look in his eyes tells you he'd kill to just be holding a single, sane carry-on.

1 suitcase.
1 small carry-on.

You do NOT need more than that.

If charging for it gets even 1 person to stop over packing, I'm all for it.

Wasn't there a thread recently about some guy crying about how they told him to take shit out of his luggage or pay more? He was fucking MOVING and tried to bring his life on the plane with him. Ship it!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Mudkips said:
Wasn't there a thread recently about some guy crying about how they told him to take shit out of his luggage or pay more? He was fucking MOVING and tried to bring his life on the plane with him. Ship it!

The circumstances depend. In cases where people are moving to Asia to become teachers, shipping TO their new home isn't an option. Mostly because the company you work for won't divulge your address until you get there.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ceres said:
The difference is that Ryanair costs something like $20 while Spirit Air isn't really any cheaper than companies like Airtran and Southwest or even a lot of the major airlines.

Well that's a bit of a fail on their part, and if true will eventually catch up to them. It's fine and dandy going the no-frills route with exorbitant charges for 'extras', but then your core price has to be ultra competitive. If not...well, people aren't stupid, at least not over time.

Brannon

More and more my insane idea begins to sound more plausible; An 'airline jacket' with many inner pockets of variable size that you can carry things in and wear at the same time. You can even carry a small laptop/tablet in one of the large front inner pockets. See-through mesh from the inside of course) for the security folks, and an inflatable, removable neck collar for a pillow.

It truly is the best idea ever. It may look wonky, but you have your stuff!

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
thetrin said:
The circumstances depend. In cases where people are moving to Asia to become teachers, shipping TO their new home isn't an option. Mostly because the company you work for won't divulge your address until you get there.
Then ship it afterwards? Anyone should be able to live for a couple weeks with what they can fit into a single luggage and carry-on. If you're staying in a hotel for a while, ship it to the hotel?

I'm all for this idea. People storing carry on luggage takes a ton of time when getting people on and off the plane. It gets much worse in full flights as the carry on bins quickly fill up with huge bags that should have been checked in.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
gofreak said:

I like money and increasing prices during peak demand in the name of saving the planet!

Ryanair, the world’s favourite airline, today (6th Apr) announced that it will incentivise all of its passengers to travel light during the peak summer months by increasing checked-in baggage fees for July and August to €20 per bag, for all bookings made after midnight (24:00hrs) Wed 7th April.

“Ryanair is determined to incentivise passengers to travel light this summer by increasing our checked-in baggage fees for the months of July and August only. These baggage fees, which are avoidable by passengers, will apply to bookings made after midnight (24:00hrs) Wednesday for travel in July and August. From 1st September the checked-in bag fee will return to its current level of €15. Over 70% of all Ryanair passengers will be unaffected by these changes because they travel with no checked-in bags.”

AMUSIX

This is all Corporate America's fault! And technology. Sort of.

Airlines used to keep their planes in the air through business and first class ticket sales. With the rise in teleconferencing and companies flying their employees coach, the first and business class sections on planes have shrunk, and, in domestic US flights, have outright disappeared.

Tarazet

Skiptastic said:
Yeah, I can see how a twenty pound bag can create a $30-$45 pound variance in fuel costs.

How much does it cost to ship a 20-pound box using an air service? About the same. Or do you think because it's not listed as a line item on your bill, that you're getting that service for free? It's not free. I'd rather be able to save a little money by not taking a carry-on.

Jin34

gerg said:
I wouldn't be concerned. The market will always balance out and allow for both more expensive and better quality services alongside cheap but rubbish ones.

:lol :lol :lol Yeah thats exactly how the past decade played out in regards to airlines, among other industries.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I had to fly on Spirit to and from Florida this past week. I've been flying for a good 27 years or so, and my flights this week, especially my flight going down (which was delayed by over 3 hours...the flight was only 2 hours in length), have been by far the most unprofessional flights I've ever been on.

I especially like how they create "zones" to organize the boarding process (because for some reason "load from the back of the plane forward" isn't confusing enough apparently), but then on both flights they just loaded in EVERYONE all at once anyway. :lol

I was saying "never again" before they even made this announcement. This is just icing on the cake.

This is a good idea actually, why the fuck would you need to bring more items than can fit under your seat as carry on anyway? I never and if this brings the price down then I absolutely approve.

Flo_Evans

Flying is for the birds!

I used to really like going on planes, though it was the coolest shit ever. Now I dread it.

I know every little pound counts when it comes to fueling an airplane and planning a trip, but does Spirit really think people should be forced to pay extra to bring a small bag with them? You'd think that some form of luggage would be included with the ticket price. I bet with the new checked baggage fees being so high people were starting to bring a ton of carry-on bags.

joeposh

Government-man said:
This is a good idea actually, why the fuck would you need to bring more items than can fit under your seat as carry on anyway? I never and if this brings the price down then I absolutely approve.

They need to do it because the airlines started charging ridiculous fees to check their bags. The excuse then was that it was a temporary measure to keep ticket prices affordable despite increased gas costs, but even as gas went done the fees stayed. In fact in many cases they increased or expanded.

This has led to people packing all their stuff into hockey bags and other huge carry ons, that might not fit the set dimensions for carry on baggage, but fit through a security scan (since it's not TSA's job to enforce carrier policies). Most airlines ask you to check at the gate if your bag is too big or the flight is fully booked, but they bring the back to you afterward and typically don't charge.

Spirit is not only trying to say "piss off, you can't do that either", but is expanding it to a level where you can't even bring a small work out bag or piece of roller luggage on without incurring a ridiculous fee. Basically, if you're doing anything more than shuttling back and forth the same day, they're going to get you coming and going. To cast this as some victory for consumers is laughable since it's really just a shell game. People tend to book the lowest fare (even if it's only a minor difference), and most airline tickets are non-refundable. As long as they get you to book that "super low fare!", they know you're more than likely to pony up for the bags when it comes time to actually travel.

I really think this stuff should be reigned in, or at least monitored better (in the long run, does the cost of travel actually go down for people not checking bags?). At the very least airlines should be required to actively highlight that baggage fee before you finalize a ticket purchase so that the consumer knows full well what they're getting into.

Ultimately, while I think this might be a short term boon for Spirit's profit margins, it will wind up killing their business if others don't follow suit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
no, its a fucking stupid idea.

charges for checked luggage was bad enough, as it suddenly overcrowded the overhead bins, which previously were the reserve of smart business/regular travellers who wanted to avoid the baggage carousel holding them up.

But you can't charge extra for both checked *and* carry on luggage - you no longer have a choice.

Mudkips said:
I approve of this.

I'm sick of people trying to jam everything into a carry-on bag.
I'm sick of people getting allotted:

1 carry-on
1 briefcase/purse
1 "personal item"

What carrier do you fly that allows you 3? The briefcase/purse is the personal item for every airline I know. If they get by with an extra than it is the fault of the bag checkers and gate people.

Brannon said:
More and more my insane idea begins to sound more plausible; An 'airline jacket' with many inner pockets of variable size that you can carry things in and wear at the same time. You can even carry a small laptop/tablet in one of the large front inner pockets. See-through mesh from the inside of course) for the security folks, and an inflatable, removable neck collar for a pillow.

Nothing insane about that idea, sounds pretty kickass to me.

Teddman

Brannon said:

That is awesome. A huge coat crammed with eveything you'd normally put in a carryon. Genius! And they can't charge you for it.

Mudkips

Banned
thetrin said:

Wrong? My ex girlfriend did exactly that (JET).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom